• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Looks like "pan asian" food. Whatever the hell pan asian means.

My fun experiment is seeing how every americanized chinese place makes szechuan shrimp. Still haven't run into two places doing the same thing.

Isn't stereotypical western "Szechuan" Chinese supposed to be very spicy? Because I got some szechuan chicken takeout a few days ago that had no heat at all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Isn't stereotypical western "Szechuan" Chinese supposed to be very spicy? Because I got some szechuan chicken takeout a few days ago that had no heat at all.

It's probably more of a marketing term than genuine szechuan cooking.

Then again szechuan isn't always about heat, that's just what it's famous for.

It's probably more of a marketing term than genuine szechuan cooking.

Then again szechuan isn't always about heat, that's just what it's famous for.

Szechuan and Hunan style cooking both have heat, but they're different types. Szechuan is more about numbing-heat, but most Americanized Szechuan places don't do it right. To get the numbing heat, you use a lot of szechuan peppercorns, which kinda taste like when you put your tongue on a 9V battery, but in a good way. That combined with heat makes a really strange sensation.

Hunan style is more like a sour and garlic hot. They often use pickled chili peppers which are both sour and spicy and a lot of fresh garlic.

thespot84

Szechuan and Hunan style cooking both have heat, but they're different types. Szechuan is more about numbing-heat, but most Americanized Szechuan places don't do it right. To get the numbing heat, you use a lot of szechuan peppercorns, which kinda taste like when you put your tongue on a 9V battery, but in a good way. That combined with heat makes a really strange sensation.

Hunan style is more like a sour and garlic hot. They often use pickled chili peppers which are both sour and spicy and a lot of fresh garlic.

I only experienced the peppercorns recently at a new momofuku-esque noodle place that just opened. Had to ask why my mouth was being short-circuited. It's a very odd sensation.

Strawberry Soufflé

strawberrysouffle1.jpg

strawberrysouffle2.jpg

strawberrysouffle3.jpg

First time making soufflé. I had some leftover eggwhites and strawberries, so soufflé it was! Much like creme brulée, it's very quick and simple to make, but perhaps also a bit too sickly if eaten plain. My girlfriend at least found it to be rather cloying, I didn't eventhough I ate 3 of the 4 ramekins... :/

I could imagine that they would be perfect served with icecream on a summer day. Oh well, fun to make and both me and my girlfriend laughed out loud when I opened the oven and saw this:

strawberrysouffle4.jpg

:)

recipe

Those souffle's came out really pink! I like the little bowl with the handles.

I made granola during my lunch break b/c we ran out at home. It's actually really easy if you have all the ingredients in the pantry already.

8538328986_07007674b9.jpg

Granola with dates, currants, pistachio, and pecans.

There's a raspberry and bitter chocolate mousse inside, here's another pic
joconde6.jpg

And this is gonna be my last spam/repost of me being in this competition. Please help me by voting, it's very appreciated that so many have voted for me already :)

This looks so amazing. I'd ask for a recipe but I doubt I could pull it off anyway.

So yeah, I got the Calphalon LX 8" Chef Knife... and I'm in love.

Keep in mind this is the first truly good knife I've invested in, as most others are cheaper varieties due to fear of inexperience. This this is fantastic though, and I'm seeing a ton of reviews echo that sentiment. It feels so damned good in your hand.... ^-^

It doesn't have the capabilities of a 10" knife (which are easier rockers), but it seems like a perfect one to grow as a knife-wielder. Got a honing steel coming in the mail soon, too.

Tuvoc

Made a late breakfast today. Toast with scrambled eggs made with cream cheese, red onion, smoked salmon, and capers.

bfast.jpg

A question for Offal-GAF: What's the consensus on kidney?

(WARNING - don't read if you're eating) I saw two cheap pork kidneys (~3€/kg) in the store last week and decided to go for it. When I opened the package I was greeted by a stench I hadn't smelled since working at a homeless shelter some five years ago. The smell was indescribably nasty but I didn't want those €1,50 to go to waste and went to work. I removed what I thought to be the ureters, chopped up the kidneys, and gave them a good rinse in hopes to wash out that acrid stench of piss. That didn't work so I just went ahead and sauteed it in olive oil. Biggest mistake of my life. The whole apartment reeked of piss, my flat mate first threw up and then ran out the door, and I tried everything to get the smell out. After emptying half a can of air freshener the smell subsided but I can't seem to get it out ouf my memory. I still catch a whiff of it at least twice a day.

Bad luck or are kidneys generally that nasty?

thespot84

(WARNING - don't read if you're eating) I saw two cheap pork kidneys (~3€/kg) in the store last week and decided to go for it. When I opened the package I was greeted by a stench I hadn't smelled since working at a homeless shelter some five years ago. The smell was indescribably nasty but I didn't want those €1,50 to go to waste and went to work. I removed what I thought to be the ureters, chopped up the kidneys, and gave them a good rinse in hopes to wash out that acrid stench of piss. That didn't work so I just went ahead and sauteed it in olive oil. Biggest mistake of my life. The whole apartment reeked of piss, my flat mate first threw up and then ran out the door, and I tried everything to get the smell out. After emptying half a can of air freshener the smell subsided but I can't seem to get it out ouf my memory. I still catch a whiff of it at least twice a day.

while I'll occasional eat foie gras, I still can't intellectually wrap my head around the idea of eating what comes down to the body's waste disposal and filtration systems...

Talon

while I'll occasional eat foie gras, I still can't intellectually wrap my head around the idea of eating what comes down to the body's waste disposal and filtration systems...
As opposed to the body's mechanism for storing toxins?

I actually have no problem eating offals, but my girlfriend never fails to remind me of what I'm actually consuming. :)

Boil some white vinegar.

Ok here we go. Mind you that this cake isn't necessarily difficult to make. But it's very time consuming, and plenty of things you can make mess in the long process.

First, a look at the components:
jocondelayers.jpg

Note that the two sponge cakes that are used inside the cake are, in my case, just a replication of the Joconde Sponge and the Décor Paste. I did it to save time as it was easier to extend the batter of the joconde and décor instead of baking two entirely new cake layers.

Ingredients:

Cocoa Décor Paste
150 g butter (room temp.)
150 g powdered sugar
150 g eggwhite (around 5 eggs, save the yolks for later)
45 g cocoa powder
130 g flour

Joconde Sponge
100 g eggwhite (around 3 eggs, save the yolks for later)
10 g sugar
100 g almond flour
80 g powdered sugar
30 g flour
30 g butter (melted)

Raspberry Mousse
150 g raspberries (made into purée)
70 g sugar
2 dl cream
3 sheets of gelatin
Juice from ½ a lemon

Chocolate Mousse
100 g 70% dark chocolate
2 dl cream
1 tbsp sugar

Chocolate Ganache
100 g 70% dark chocolate
½ dl cream
10 g butter​
Method
Cocoa Décor Paste
Whip butter and sugar light and fluffy. Add eggwhites gradually. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa.
Pour the batter(but save some for the springform, see below) on a big greased+baking papered baking plate and spread it out in a 5mm thick layer.
Make a pattern of your choice and place in freezer until it's fairly firm(20-30 mins). I made angled straight lines by using the tip of the handle of a teaspoon...
Pour a thin layer in a 20 cm round greased springform and bake for 8 mins in 250C.

Joconde Sponge
Whip eggwhites and sugar to stiff peaks. In another bowl sift almondflour, powdered sugar and flour and mix. Add the ~8 egg yolks gradually. Fold in 1/3 of the eggwhite mixture and then the remaining 2/3. Finally fold in the melted butter(mustn't be too hot).

Pour the joconde batter over the frozen décor pattern so that it covers all holes etc.
Pour a thin layer in a 20 cm round greased springform.
If you have room bake both for 8 mins in 250C. The cake should bounce back when poked by a finger after being baked. Remove from forms and wait for them to cool a bit.

Now we should have a big sheet of joconde, a round white cake layer, a round chocolate cake layer.
Next we need to cut out the joconde at the appropriate height and length. Now all that depends on what form you will use to hold the cake together. I used the round springform which I already baked the two layers in which is roughly 6 cm high. I can't remember the circumference of the cake, but if you cut a lot of 6-7cm high strips there should be more than enough to create a joconde ring. Just remember that it's better to have too much ring(will create a preassure holding the cake together) than not having enough (will create hole in ring which can make the mousse leak).

After the ring is assembled, place the white spongecake at the bottom inside the ring, cut the cake so it just fits.

Raspberry Mousse
Place gelatin sheets in a bowl of cold water and set aside.
Whip the cream into whipped cream and cool in fridge.
In a foodprocesser blend berries and sugar and pour into a new bowl.
Take the gelatin out of the water and together with the lemon juice place in a small bowl(or saucepan) over a hot water bath.
Once the gelatin has melted pour it into the raspberry purée and quickly mix it.
Quickly fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream and then the remaining 2/3.
Spread out on the bottom layered spongecake, place the chocolate spongecake on top of the raspberry mousse(don't put too much pressure on it or you will squeeze the mousse out of the joconde ring).
Cool in fridge for at least 30 mins.

Chocolate Mousse
Melt the finely chopped chocolate over a hot waterbath.
While the chocolate is melting whip cream and sugar into whipped cream.
Once melted pour the chocolate into the whipped cream while folding.
Spread out evenly on the chocolate sponge layer and set the cake to cool for 4 hours(or the night over).

Chocolate Ganache
Heat cream until boiling point and pour over finely chopped chocolate(you may want to melt the chocolate slightly before) and carefully mix(we don't want to create too much air bubbles). Fold in the butter.
Let it cool slightly(5-10 mins, but keep an eye on it, you don't want it to be too thick) and pour over the chocolate mousse.

Decorate as desired.​

Original post with pictures

There you have it. Joconde Double Mousse Cake!

Being Pennsylvania Dutch I was representing today and made whoopie pies. Also made some turkey burgers. Both turned out great imo.

(sorry - no pics since both my cameras are pieces of shit that can't hold a charge for a minute even when turned off)

EDIT: @Metroid Killer daaaaaaaaaaaayumn son

so... how did it taste?

Made a late breakfast today. Toast with scrambled eggs made with cream cheese, red onion, smoked salmon, and capers.

bfast.jpg

Looks like you had a great breakfast! Now I have a craving for bagels and lox.

I've never prepared kidney, but have eaten my fair share of pork kidney in restaurants. I've never really tasted a urine taste in them, but sometimes they do taste a little funky, which is a taste I associate with a lot of offal.

I've had them and assorted pieces of meat in soup and it's more of a texture thing than a taste thing. But I've also heard some people soak it in milk to get rid of the urine taste. Not sure if that works or not.

My favorite way of having them is a Chinese dish called "exploding kidney". It's basically scored kidney stir fried w/ lots of chili peppers and garlic, and you hardly can taste you're eating kidney. Here's what I found on it: http://kake.dreamwidth.org/112156.html

Yes Boss!

Got some new ingredients. The mayo is good and I've had it a few times. Not quite sure what to do with the fermented pepper paste, which is totally new to me. All I know is that my brother usually keeps a big tub in his fridge. I'm guessing I'll start by using some in the ramen I cook for lunch sometime.

D941485F-3E8D-41D9-B94A-DC33B4140D18-1088-0000013AD308B345.jpg

Got some new ingredients. The mayo is good and I've had it a few times. Not quite sure what to do with the fermented pepper paste, which is totally new to me. All I know is that my brother usually keeps a big tub in his fridge. I'm guessing I'll start by using some in the ramen I cook for lunch sometime.

D941485F-3E8D-41D9-B94A-DC33B4140D18-1088-0000013AD308B345.jpg

You can use the red pepper paste in fried rice. Put a tablespoon of that in oil and let it break up a little. Then dump in the rice and other ingredients and fry. Top with sliced green onion.

It's also good mixed with sesame oil and drizzled over cold noodles.

So for a while I have been contemplating about this resolution and I think it's time for me to act upon it...

----~ Monthly Food Challenge ~----

I hereby announce that I will do my best to meet the goal of each of the following three challenges as described below. By announcing my reolusion here at IronGaf I commit myself to the resolution even greater.

The challenges are

----~ Season's Sweet ~----
Description: Each month I must make a dessert based on seasonal food. Not every ingredient has to be in season, but the more the better. If a main ingredient exists it has to be in season(Apple in applepie). Based on seasonal food you can get in Denmark.
Goal: To expand my knowledge on food. To increase the quality of ingredients used. To have a more natural relationship to food.
----~ Designer Dessert ~----
Description: Each month I must make a dessert designed by myself. It does not have to be made completely from scratch(using recipes for parts is allowed), but I am not allowed to follow an entire recipe slavishly and call it a day. What I have designed myself should be clearly understandable and should be(but not required) a striking feature of the dessert(shape, color, composition etc.). An accompined scetch of each dessert is preferred in order to show that creative thoughts had been in the process from the beginning.
Goal: To expand my creative side when making desserts. To gain more independece with the objects that I'm working with. To challenge my skills consciously regarding proportions, tastes, shapes, colors etc.----~ 1 from IronGaf ~----
Description: Each month I must recreate a meal posted on IronGaf. I must follow any given recipe as close as possible, unavailable ingredients must be properly substituted. It can be an entire meal or just a single component as long as it's been posted in one of the IronGaf vols.
Goal: To expand my horizon on cuisine in general. To further honor great posts and food presented on IronGaf.

So that's that. This is mainly a personal thing, but you are free to join in or change the challenges as you see fit. Making 3 committed entries per month may not seem like much, but with a job, gf, dog and other hobbies I don't want to aim too high to begin with. Perhaps I will change the output later on. I do have one ready by now though, will post pictures later once I've had a bite :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That is an awesome Idea!
The seasonal cooking challenge is a goal that should turn out the most interesting results.
I am looking forward to your results.

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (March)

Chocolate Aztec Temple Cake with Secret Treasury
dd_scetch_march.jpg

azteccake1.jpg

azteccake2.jpg

azteccake3.jpg

azteccake4.jpg

azteccake5.jpg

azteccake6.jpg

Really pleased with this cake. When I did the first cut I was kinda surprised it look so good actually :). Chocolate cake with a core of black currant mousse, covered in ganache and decorated with gold leaves and passion fruit powder.

My father gets peanuts with szechuan peppercorns at a Chinese grocery store we go to. He says he eats them "until his face goes numb."

So I(and my gf since we are using her facebook) joined a facebook birthday cake competition, where you can win expensive baking equipment. The winners are decided by voting... So I need your help!

Please go to the following link: click

And vote(STEM) on this cake (it should be on one of the first couple of pages). You may have to accept the app in order for it to function (you can turn it off/delete it afterwards)
joconde1-1.jpg

My cake may not be the prettiest, but these competitions are always won by who has the most friends, and I could really use some of those prices which I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Thanks for any help IronGaf :)

I think I voted for you. Hard to tell in a different language. That Aztec cake looks great, too. You are a very talented baker.

I was trying to think about the right way to do this without being too off-topic (also because I lurk daily, but rarely post), but anyways I posted quite a bit ago about the food related project I was working on, that I was hoping to share with GAF, which is just about done. But there was this contest, and I spent 6 hours straight with a friend last night making a stop motion video concerning my project for the contest.

If anyone has any interest at all, I would love you forever for simply checking it out.

https://twitter.com/Nommful/status/310526014331707394

Milchjon

My friend and I are going to cook "Dackel" tonight. Basically, he wanted to try Turducken and realized his oven was too small, so he altered the recipe to duck/chicken/quail. (It kinda makes sense in German :-D .

Will report back later.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, what are the best websites to learn how to cook for the ABSOLUTE BEGINNER? YouTube has been helpful, but I really would like to find something that let's me write my recipes easily as I progress.

Yesterday I bumped the wrong thread asking this question. :/

Raistlin

Felt lemony today

Salad: Spring mix tossed in a Greek feta & lemon yogurt dressing ... topped with sliced garlic-stuffed kalamata olives, Roma tomato, and dry roasted sunflower kernels.

Fish: Baked tilapia with bay leaves, fresh-ground sea salt and black pepppercorn ... topped with a lemon butter finishing sauce and sliced lemon garnish.

Wine: Cabernet Shiraz blend.

Please disregard my laminate countertop :p

CRS

Seared bacon-wrapped scallops with steam rice with a little sauce made from the pan used to cook the scallops.

Pretty happy with the result for it being my first time cooking scallops.

bacon-wrapped scallops sounds like the best thing in the world.
GAF, what are the best websites to learn how to cook for the ABSOLUTE BEGINNER? YouTube has been helpful, but I really would like to find something that let's me write my recipes easily as I progress.

Yesterday I bumped the wrong thread asking this question. :/
I would say the best website for me was learning from my parents living home and the help from my first couple of cookbooks living on my own... but as neither are websites it wont answer your question. Don't really know anyone.

thespot84

bacon-wrapped scallops sounds like the best thing in the world.I would say the best website for me was learning from my parents living home and the help from my first couple of cookbooks living on my own... but as neither are websites it wont answer your question. Don't really know anyone.

same for me, there's nothing like learning the basics from someone actually there with you in the kitchen, which was the case for me as well. Does anyone in your family cook?

My parents are both dreadful cooks (my mother grew up in an amazing Italian cooking household--home cured meats, etc.--but it was the 60s and she rebelled against the patriarchy and so never learned anything from her mother), I learned by becoming a vegetarian and then vegan when I was a poor college student, which pretty much forced me to figure out how to cook for myself. My early cooking bibles were the Moosewood cookbooks and Ed Brown's Tassajara Bread & Cooking books. As I got older Deborah Madison and Madhur Jaffrey. Just years of experimenting and learning. Just the other day I made buttermilk bread for the first time, I'll post on that soon.

Also I really like Hugh Fearnsley's River Cottage series on TV, although it's less cooking show and more lifestyle programming. But there's a lot to learn from it. Gordon Ramsay when he's actually cooking is quite fun, too. And of course America's Test Kitchen on PBS here in the States.

The wife and I found The Joy of Cooking (was a gift from the wife's aunt who is a caterer) to be a great introduction into cooking as an adult. Lots of basic recipes, techniques, etc. Gives a good grounding, we used it as a reference and now just find whatever we need on the internet.

I say "we", but it's really just me. The wife hates cooking with a passion. She's a trained pastry chef (though no longer in that industry) and loves baking, but can't stand cooking for some reason.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll recommend FoodWishes.com. Watch his YouTube videos. Chef John is really good at explaining stuff, and there are over 800 recipes to do.

edit: maybe after you get a tiny bit of experience. I guess his recipes are more for the novice, not the absolute beginner.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spinach + Cranberries/Golden Raisins/Peaches/Sliced Dried Apricots + Almonds/Cashews + Cheese + Lemon/Balsamic Vinegar + Olive Oil

Hmm, I was never big on fruit in salad but I could give it a shot. Might need some meat though, it needs to be a solid calorie bump (and protein).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom