• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's toasted sesame oil, don't cook with it. Use it as a finisher. Cooking with toasted sesame oil can be toxic.

I use sesame oil as a dressing to make things taste more Chinese. You can also use it as some sort of all-purpose dip w/ 1 part sesame oil, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part warm water, and lots of chopped green onions.

By toxic you mean "a little can go a long way", right? Because it most definitely is not harmful if cooked with food. I use it in stir fry and some Japanese dishes and that's about it, anything else I dress with it.

Many Cheese Mac & Cheese with panko crust.

woNrJQhh.jpg

jKqJxy4h.jpg

JQq4I17h.jpg

Pizza with my own dough

YxOoDz0h.jpg

Slow cooked Carnitas

PqMOGEll.jpg

42sGqeth.jpg

Yes Boss!

I got a lot of garlic in my kitchen and large bag of chickpeas, I've never made homemade hummus before, but I think that time is now! Do you mind sharing your way of making hummus Yes Boss? I would much rather learn from you than some standard recipe from the internet.

Well, the good thing is that you don't necessarily need any fresh ingredients on hand in the pantry. Use fresh lemon juice if you can but powdered citric acid (I've always got that on hand) works just as well...and gives it more commercial taste. You do need a mixer...preferably a food pro but a stand mixer will also work.

This is what I do:

1) Soak a cup and a quarter dried chickpeas for 24 hours in water.
2) Rinse and then pressure cook for 30-40 minutes on high (no worries if overcooked since they will be mashed).
3) Cool chickpeas to room temp.
4) Drain chickpeas but save the cooking water.
5) Blend chickpeas with a cup of water till a thick paste
6) Add in tahini (I'd say about 1/2 cup for this volume of chick peas)
7) Blend again, adding in a few cloves of fresh garlic to a proper emulsification.
8) Optional: you can blend in a little quality olive oil if you like, but I use that only as a finisher.
9) Blend in salt to taste.
10) Blend in lemon juice/citric acid and adjust water while blending for preferred consistency
11) Set for six hours in fridge
12) Serve with high quality olive oil drizzled along with some sprinkled paprika.

This is what I do:
Great! Thanks a lot. I'm already salivating just by reading the instructions.

One more cake for the weekend!

Chocolate Mint Mousse Cake

chocomintmousse1.jpg

chocomintmousse2.jpg

chocomintmousse3.jpg

Two chocolate cake layers filled and topped with a mint mousse with chocolate chips. Further topped with a bittersweet chocolate ganache, mint whipped cream and chopped fazermints.

Unfortunately I wont get to taste it myself, as it's a cake for my gf's colleagues. Oh well I'm sure I'll bake it again soon...

Milchjon

By toxic you mean "a little can go a long way", right? Because it most definitely is not harmful if cooked with food. I use it in stir fry and some Japanese dishes and that's about it, anything else I dress with it.

PICS

I want to try all of those...

Also, someone explain garlic to me.

Whenever I buy a bunch, it seems like it's only fresh for a week or so. After that it takes on an earthy, "old" smell. Any way to prevent it? How are you supposed to store garlic?

n0n44m

That leopard cake looks goddamn amazing

I was really hungry today ... this XXXL pizza solved that :)

Mozz - Onion - Bell Pepper - Chorizo - Shredded Cheese

managed to get the plate so hot my IR thermometer read "Hi" lol ... 380+ Celcius

Tonight's dinner: split pea soup and pan seared duck!

DUCK DUCK DUCK

Reduced the sauce too much though. :|

Your duck looks beautifully cooked. The skin looks thin and crispy and the fat rendered out. I really like that you cooked the drumstick, it's my favorite part! How long did you leave the breast on the skin side to render? What seasonings did you use?

Your duck looks beautifully cooked. The skin looks thin and crispy and the fat rendered out. I really like that you cooked the drumstick, it's my favorite part! How long did you leave the breast on the skin side to render? What seasonings did you use?

I cooked the skin side down on medium heat for about ten to fifteen minutes but it will depend on the piece you're cooking. I also use a gas stove so just adjust "by ear" so to speak. :)

I marinaded the duck for about 2-3 hours in the juice of four medium sized oranges, about a teaspoon of salt, and a cup of tea that's had two bags of earl grey steeping in it for about 15 minutes. After marinading I dried them off, scored the skin and seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme.

The sauce is just the marinade reduced in the same pan I seared the duck. Hope that helps!

Gibbo

quick question gents. something has been nagging at me for awhile. in baking receipes, when it states 'mix'. when should we use a kitchen aid/ kenwood mixer, and when should i manually mix with a wooden spoon?

I cooked the skin side down on medium heat for about ten to fifteen minutes but it will depend on the piece you're cooking. I also use a gas stove so just adjust "by ear" so to speak. :)

I marinaded the duck for about 2-3 hours in the juice of four medium sized oranges, about a teaspoon of salt, and a cup of tea that's had two bags of earl grey steeping in it for about 15 minutes. After marinading I dried them off, scored the skin and seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme.

The sauce is just the marinade reduced in the same pan I seared the duck. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the details, I'm going to try your recipe this week, or at least a close approximation of it. It sounds like a creative blend of ideas you've put into this. Based on the ingredients I tend to think duck a l'orange (oranges), chinese tea smoked duck (tea), and something british (Earl Grey). Nice!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
quick question gents. something has been nagging at me for awhile. in baking receipes, when it states 'mix'. when should we use a kitchen aid/ kenwood mixer, and when should i manually mix with a wooden spoon?

Makes no difference, aside from time.

http://abload.de/img/image4myf0_resizenvrs0.jpg[IMG]

Pan seared tilapia with sauted baby spinnach, sunflower seeds and a couple of spoon of tahini. So simple, so good.[/QUOTE]
Fresh tilapia is so good... lousy vendors can give you some really crappy fillets. Go fresh!

Today's dinner:

[quote][img]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9545/20130421192923.jpg

Brined Chicken Drumstick
- Marinated for 18 hours in soy sauce, fish sauce, smashed garlic cloves, fresh ginger, and chili flakes
- Baked at 425 F for about forty minutes

Ginger-Citrus Chow Mein
- Chuka ramen noodles tossed with cabbage marinated in ginger, orange oil, and other ingredients
- Topped with garlic candy

I was rather happy with how this turned out.

So I had a ton of freshly rendered duck fat leftover from yesterday's dinner so I used it in today's dinner.

brussel sprouts roasted in duck fat
img3402jf.jpg

herb crusted pork loin (rubbed in duck fat)
img3400i.jpg

img3405do.jpg

img3406xe.jpg

Cheated on this one: they came frozen. Love pao de queijo. Saw them at this Brazillian grocery store that looked like a front for something else (they have like literally one shelf of food in there) so I thought I'd give them a try. Pretty good.
img3408p.jpg

This thread at 2 in the morning is the worst idea ever.

We should make that into a challenge. Everyone cooks Friday and posts photos and then we all show up at 2am after drinking a bottle of wine and complain about which looks most soul crushingly good.

Simply aglio e olio is best late night food! Gauntlet thrown!

So you just replace the water with soda water or how exactly? Only tried making tempura once many years ago and failed horrible.
I just started baking loads 3 months ago- with zero prior experience. Gotta say that it has served as a great stress reliever after a hard week at work. This is a strawberry crumble that I made myself for my own birthday 2 weeks ago . Recipe if anyone is interested http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-coffee-cake-67733

Looks like crap against anything that Metriod Killer is posting tho. Dood your stuff looks amazing!

huc7kDcl.jpg
So I had a go at this cake yesterday. Very easy to make, even making small pellets of butter for the crumble using my hands only worked surprisngly well. I had a lot of mixed berries available so besides fresh strawberries I also included rasp, blue and blackbarries. The cake is rather sweet, but has a great texture to it and works wonders with a scoop of ice cream :)

strawberrycrumble1.jpg

strawberrycrumble2.jpg

So you just replace the water with tempura or how exactly? Only tried making tempura once many years ago and failed horrible.

Yeah just replace the water with soda water. Make sure it's just plain carbonated water, not tonic, not ginger ale, not sprite. Also, mix up the batter RIGHT BEFORE you're ready to fry. That way it has the shortest amount of time to get stale.

Glad to hear!

Carbonated liquids - the secret ingredient of korean and japanese cooking.

We use 7up (not sprite for some reason) when we make kimchi.
Next time I'm going to try with beer instead of soda water, since I hear the quick evaporation of alcohol makes it useful. (David Chang of Momofuku uses vodka for his batters. :X)

End result:
20130424145128.jpg

Next time I'm going to try with beer instead of soda water, since I hear the quick evaporation of alcohol makes it useful. (David Chang of Momofuku uses vodka for his batters. :X)

Vodka and beer are two very different drinks. One is high alcohol, one is low alcohol and mostly water. My husband uses vodka for his pie crust for the same reason.

Made a big pot of chili today. Haven't made it for ages, and it's been even longer since I've made it without a packet of pre-mixed spices.

19ffb3b4ad6011e28d7822000a1fa48d_6.jpg
6a4bd678ad8211e2ad7a22000a9f3090_6.jpg

Yes I use beans, deal with it, I like them. It was served with a stout made with sarsaparilla root.

n0n44m

had a nice Champions League evening last night ! So I made some huge burgers for me+2 friends

I used a really great recipe for the buns I've found online somewhere. Basically just take 375g flour, 15g sugar, 7g salt, 7g yeast. Then heat up 160 ml milk, 80 ml water and 50g butter until the butter has dissolved. Mix that with the dry ingredients, and add an egg. Now knead for around 8 minutes, then divide into 4 to 12 balls depending on the size of the bun you want to have (I went with 4...). Let them sit covered for about an hour, then bake in the oven around 20 to 25 minutes at 200C (that's with a baking stone, without one you might want to bake them longer at a lower temp to ensure the center is dry). Let them cool completely on a wire rack.

They're firm enough so that they won't tear easily, especially if you toast them before piling on the meat and sauce, yet they're soft enough so that your jaw muscles won't be complaining ;) also you can stack up the ingredients pretty high and press them down without everything falling out the back, as the buns will clamp those down very well

patty was just some ground beef from the supermarket I added a bit of melted butter, Worcestershire sauce and Sambal to ... they were fairly large actually but the pan we were using was a bit small so I had to keep them thick instead of wide ;)

(The fries were a bit too much for everyone ... I warned them the burger would be big but they didn't believe me lol)
had 1 left so I went for a slightly healthier cheese-egg-tomato-pickle sandwich this morning :)

So I had a go at this cake yesterday. Very easy to make, even making small pellets of butter for the crumble using my hands only worked surprisngly well. I had a lot of mixed berries available so besides fresh strawberries I also included rasp, blue and blackbarries. The cake is rather sweet, but has a great texture to it and works wonders with a scoop of ice cream :)

hmm I should try that one as well sometime, I love Apple Crumble but most of my family like strawberries more ... everyone will surely love this :p

I've made a meal of that mac&cheese with some broccoli or asparagus in the past. Anything that isn't super starchy/heavy I'll eat with it.

That bread looks amazing. Do you have a recipe I could get, please?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Made a big pot of chili today. Haven't made it for ages, and it's been even longer since I've made it without a packet of pre-mixed spices.

19ffb3b4ad6011e28d7822000a1fa48d_6.jpg
6a4bd678ad8211e2ad7a22000a9f3090_6.jpg

Yes I use beans, deal with it, I like them. It was served with a stout made with sarsaparilla root.

can you pm me recipe plz if you dont mind ;)

IronGAF, this has probably been asked many times before, but can you please name me some good books/websites for Asian (any sort really, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai etc) cooking. I like cooking, I just have no imagination and like to follow recipes. Thank you!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hey IronGAF, can someone recommend me a guide to spices? trying to step it up in this regard,.......

What specifically are you wanting to learn?

If you're interested in finding what does and doesn't appeal to you, many grocery stores have bulk spices so you can buy small amounts of unfamiliar herbs and spices to experiment with, and at a fraction of the cost of pre-packaged varieties.

If you're unsure what spices go with what types of foods, googling "____ flavor profile" or "____ flavor pairing" often results in many good options. There are sites devoted to this sort of thing, but they're usually restricted to paying members; alternatively, The Flavor Bible or Flavor Thesaurus are excellent, useful books to have.

Silkworm

I recently got that book by Dunlop based off your recommendation much earlier in this thread (thanks for the suggestion). Now I've got to get the right implements. I was just looking at the beginning of that book where she describes the right kind of wok to use. I'm not very knowledgeable about woks but from her suggestions I've narrowed it down to a carbon steel wok with a flat bottom (since I've only go an electric range *sigh*). I've done a bit of searching and was wondering if this wok would be a good choice:

That's a picture of the Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series 4-Piece Carbon-Steel Wok Set. Also I thought I'd get a spatula and ladle like the following:

Any thoughts/suggestions you or others might have about this equipment would be very appreciated :)

Esch

Banned
What specifically are you wanting to learn?

If you're interested in finding what does and doesn't appeal to you, many grocery stores have bulk spices so you can buy small amounts of unfamiliar herbs and spices to experiment with, and at a fraction of the cost of pre-packaged varieties.

If you're unsure what spices go with what types of foods, googling "____ flavor profile" or "____ flavor pairing" often results in many good options. There are sites devoted to this sort of thing, but they're usually restricted to paying members; alternatively, The Flavor Bible or Flavor Thesaurus are excellent, useful books to have.

thanks! I dunno. I have a decent 2nd hand knowledge of what goes with what, but I just want a more 'complete' look. Thanks for the recs

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have a question for cooking-GAF: do you know how well (or bad) holds fat free fresh cheese in the freezer? I'd like to purchase a couple of 2 kg buckets and slice them into 100 g rations in order to schedule my diet a bit better, but I don't want it to turn bad.

This kind of stuff, basically

Fqgdui2.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (April)

Savoury Asparagus Cakes

asparaguscake1.jpg

asparaguscake2.jpg

Picking a fruit/vegetable for this month's sweet has been really difficult. All that is in season right now in Denmark is pretty much onions, herbs and root vegetables. I've tried again and again to bend my head around how to make a dessert out of any of those. Well there is rhubarb as well, but I have that in my garden and would rather wait for it to be ready next week than buying it in a grocery store, sorta defeats the whole purpose of the challenge.

I ended up using asparagus in a modified savoury chiffon cake served with sour cream dill dip. The taste was great, a subtle asparagus taste which worked wonders with the dip. The texture was also great, extremely soft cakes and every bite felt good in your mouth. The presentation lacked however, I would have liked it to remain greener which of course is difficult when I baked them in molds (vs. big cake with less surface to get brown). I had also hoped that they had risen a bit more giving them a rounder look.

Here's an image from the internet which I strived to get a similar look to. It's supposed to be an asparagus cake as well, but now that I see it again, perhaps that cook used a recipe more akin to bread?
asparaguscake3.jpg

Nevertheless I'm defintely saving this recipe which works as a splendid appetizer.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (April)

Pink Grapefruit Cookies with Grapefruit Cream

grapefruitcookie1.jpg

Surprise entry! So there were actual some fruits which were in season, but they would go under 'foreign food in season in Denmark', and currently it's mostly citrus fruits and mango. I saw some fine looking grapefruits in my local grocery store and thought it would be interesting to make something out of those, eventhough I don't even like them(my gf does though). It turns out that besides just replacing other citrus recipes with grapefruit, it's pretty sparse with unique grapefruit recipes on the internet. I did find this one from Martha Stewart and gave it a go.
I rarely make cookies as I find them a bit too vanilla, both literally and figuratively, but with the inclusion of grapefuit juice and zest as well as grapefruit cream it got my attention.
And they are pretty great. I really like the bitter aftertaste much like lime desserts. They are perhaps a tad too sweet with all the sugar in the cream, but luckily I made a batch of 50 cookies and there wont be cream enough for all of them anyway :)

recipe

Gibbo

So I made these today

Definitely not happy with how the angel cake roll turned out. You'll notice that I didn't get the spongy texture that I should have been aiming for. You guys have any tips for beating egg whites? I suspect that I over beaten the egg whites here. Recipes included at the bottom of my post

hEZVymB.jpg

4kXG6ce.jpg

Recipes
Strawberry Angel Cake Roll Recipe

Roses Madeleines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom