• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm, looks good and spicy.

On a related note, I discovered the magic of fish sauce. Smells horrible, but it's amazing how it can bestow umami into something when you render it on the stove.

Hahah you know, I kinda like that funky pungent smell of fish sauce. Makes my mouth water. I love a splash of it in things like noodle soups.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Spaghetti with wood roasted salmon, topped with an egg yolk -

920041_10151192628559364_1519307320_o.jpg

Milchjon

I MADE PULLED PORK!
I AM GREATEST CAVEMAN OF ALL!

God bless America for coming up with this.

I made it in the oven using a dry rub, and I got quite a bit of leftover liquid. Any idea for what to do with it? I feel like putting it down the drain would be a waste...

thespot84

I MADE PULLED PORK!
I AM GREATEST CAVEMAN OF ALL!

God bless America for coming up with this.

I made it in the oven using a dry rub, and I got quite a bit of leftover liquid. Any idea for what to do with it? I feel like putting it down the drain would be a waste...

use it in some baked beans...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Last time I made pulled beef it was very dry. Any idea why?

Could try pork too.

Milchjon

Last time I made pulled beef it was very dry. Any idea why?

Could try pork too.

From what I've gathered over the years of reading Serious Eats' "Food Lab", temperature is pretty much the only real factor in drying out your meat (apart from maybe some surface dryness due to airflow, which can be reduced by putting it under a some aluminum foil). Heat causes the muscle strands to contract and push out their juices. Therefore it is important to control your meat's temperature, and not let it cook too long. A thermometer helps, but I still don't own one...

A bit of fat can also help to give (the illusion of?) juiciness.

Yes Boss!

Hahah you know, I kinda like that funky pungent smell of fish sauce. Makes my mouth water. I love a splash of it in things like noodle soups.

I love it as a flavor magnifier. Usually I buy Three Crabs but here all I could find was Tiparos...which is really good, and only $1.50 a bottle.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
From what I've gathered over the years of reading Serious Eats' "Food Lab", temperature is pretty much the only real factor in drying out your meat (apart from maybe some surface dryness due to airflow, which can be reduced by putting it under a some aluminum foil). Heat causes the muscle strands to contract and push out their juices. Therefore it is important to control your meat's temperature, and not let it cook too long. A thermometer helps, but I still don't own one...

A bit of fat can also help to give (the illusion of?) juiciness.

I see, next time I'll wrap it in foil.

Today I gave my second try at making pizza.

While the picture is once again crappy, this was a delicious success! Dough was mixed with oregano, rosemary, dried basil, and garlic powder. Tomato sauce made with tomato paste and two ripe tomatoes and a bit of oregano. Topping was red onions, mushrooms, chorizo, basil, and mozzarella. It was very good (still have some left). Looks much nicer than my last lame attempt, the crust was also more focaccia-like which I liked. Just gotta work on evening out the toppings better.

SummitAve

Banned
It's late, I've been drinking, and now I'm thinking about breakfast. What are your favorite things to do with english muffins? I usually go toasted with a little bit of butter and peach jam, and if I'm feeling really hungry I love making an egg mcmuffin (egg, cheese, canadian bacon) with a nice runny egg. What else is this breakfast bread capable of?

It's late, I've been drinking, and now I'm thinking about breakfast. What are your favorite things to do with english muffins? I usually go toasted with a little bit of butter and peach jam, and if I'm feeling really hungry I love making an egg mcmuffin (egg, cheese, canadian bacon) with a nice runny egg. What else is this breakfast bread capable of?

Shrimp benedict hands down.
l.jpg

Haven't actually made it myself. It just seems right to sit back and relax at a diner or cafe.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
USA-GAF, give me a hand.

I have a scheduled business trip to NY that will bring the to the States for a few days (maybe an entire week) and I'd like to stock my kitchen with all the awesome and sometimes silly stuff that I can't find at home (Spain). I would be specially interested on sauces and dry rubs for meats. I mostly eat chicken, turkey and beef. Not a big friend of pork unless cured. I also eat plenty of fish, so I accept any recommendations to go with hake, tuna, cod and goosefish.

What are your favourites? I should note that I rarely open-grill anything, I cook most of my meals in the kitchen (meaning that I only use electric appliances). So far I intend to purchase two big bottles of Siracha. I'd also like to know if there are any recommended chains/shops with reasonable prices. The last time I was in the States I paid way more than I should for some really basic items (I went to some bodega at a touristy area with fucking boutique prices, I swear).

Been busy today. Made Spicy, sweet and sour pork chili (been cooking in the crockpot for 4 hours and smells incredible). Chocolate chip cookies. And a coconut ice cream/pudding dessert.

CrankyJay

Banned
BBQ season for me....used a mix of apple wood and cherry wood on my smoker.

BBQ chicken...homemade margarita in the background

Margarita:

1.5 oz tequila
1 oz gran marnier
1 oz fresh squeezed lime (accept no substitute!)
ice

r5JVxze.jpg

JiEZBxi.jpg

eiE7VFU.jpg

Crisping up on the gasser....
T8DWaZb.jpg

Finished product, was divine...
qCpOSA8.jpg

Menelaus

Banned
Cinco de Mayo demanded some Tomatillo Guac, I shamelessly stole this base recipe from a drunk Dane a few years ago. What you see below served 4 very hungry people, normally you'd get 6-8 people eating this. Full recipe with step by steps is on my blog.

3 large avocados, slightly soft when squeezed
4 tomatillos
1/2 large white onion
1 large tomato
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 tablespoon lime juice
Chopped cilantro to taste

Really, boiling the tomatillos is the ONLY thing that requires any attention for this recipe, I love it, make it dozens of times every summer.

Bonus dancing tomatillo gif
it69wl00jHNAX.gif

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Wanted to try this for myself, it looked so good. Ended up making an apple and bacon salsa to go on top instead of apple and bacon slices:

It was delicious!

Looks great! I was thinking about making a salsa but I'm trying to make a habit of sticking to the receipe the first time I make something and then change things up next time.

But your adjustment definitely looks like an improvement, looks great and probably adds more flavour in a salsa then 'dry' on their own. I recently made a burger with a guacemole, tomato and lime juice salsa (just those three ingredients + salt/pepper) and it turned out brilliant. I think the most interesting thing of this receipe is to put apple also in the patty.

USA-GAF, give me a hand.
I'm not USAGAF but maybe stuff like Liquid Smoke for BBQ flavouring without needing to grill? And perhaps South American foods/condiments? Buffalo Wing sauce, hot sauce of some kind (Frank's, Louisiana, Cholula) to add to the sriracha (Asian grocers near me actually sell the popular rooster brand, if you have any nearby check them out before you leave).

CrankyJay

Banned
USA-GAF, give me a hand.

I have a scheduled business trip to NY that will bring the to the States for a few days (maybe an entire week) and I'd like to stock my kitchen with all the awesome and sometimes silly stuff that I can't find at home (Spain). I would be specially interested on sauces and dry rubs for meats. I mostly eat chicken, turkey and beef. Not a big friend of pork unless cured. I also eat plenty of fish, so I accept any recommendations to go with hake, tuna, cod and goosefish.

What are your favourites? I should note that I rarely open-grill anything, I cook most of my meals in the kitchen (meaning that I only use electric appliances). So far I intend to purchase two big bottles of Siracha. I'd also like to know if there are any recommended chains/shops with reasonable prices. The last time I was in the States I paid way more than I should for some really basic items (I went to some bodega at a touristy area with fucking boutique prices, I swear).

Frank's hot sauce or equivalent would be a good choice. I wouldn't bother with rubs, you can make your own and quite often they turn out better than store bought ones anyway.

Made these for a get-together last night

Mint Surpise

mintsurprise1.jpg

mintsurprise2.jpg

mintsurprise3.jpg

A dome shaped chocolate cake, hollowed and filled with raspberries and a 86% dark chocolate mousse, then covered in a thick mint creme. Awesome triple combination of tastes that work great together!

It's currently just like summer outside which means there's meat on the grill! Will post pics later.

Yay! First use of the grill this year. Bought a garlic marinated pork culotte(thigh), and threw some sliced squash and tomato mix on the grill as well. The meat was like butter, so eventhough it feels weird to have pork on the grill as an opener for grill season it was damn good!

porkculotte1.jpg

porkculotte2.jpg

porkculotte3.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cranky, codswallop, thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into making my own rub, surely it can't be too hard.

Also, that grilled chiken and those mint cakes (?) look killer. I'm trying to get my beachbody on, but those posts are so not helping.

Dom Brunt

Made these for a get-together last night

Mint Surpise

mintsurprise2.jpg

Omg I need this. Daaaaamn. A recipe would be greatly appreciated, or at least some hints on how to go about making something like that, the chocolate mousse and mint creme parts would probably be tricky for me.

I'm going to make your pink grapefruit cookies tomorrow, I hope I don't fuck them up. The filling sounds similar to something I totally messed up once so I'm a bit worried about that lol.

Some Thai food?

Chicken Tom Yam in 5 min. Ingredients: chicken, mushroom, spices (ginger, garlic, lemon grass, Thai chili, green onion, kaffir lime leaves), lime, fish sauce, sugar, Tom Yam paste (cheating, I know..), fried chili paste.
321517_10100463520478428_1291108315_n.jpg

1. Cook chicken with spices
2. Add Tom Yam paste, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar. Cook more.
3. Add water, chili paste, mushroom
4. Bring to boil 2-3 min. Taste.
485581_10100463522110158_282478377_n.jpg

DONE
395584_10100463522284808_970521013_n.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Walnut & Bulgur Beef Burger:

8716616421_0360d40265.jpg

Receipe here. Two things were great about this burger: the walnut sauce (with garlic, cayenne spice and lemon juice) was very taste and the addition of bulgur in the patty gives it a nutty flavour. But it could do with some more toppings, like some cut-up ingredients of a greek salad or something.

VanWinkle

Made a pan pizza. It's not really like most as it's quite a bit thinner crust. It's cooked in an oil-covered rectangular pan like a sicilian but again is thinner. It was easy and incredibly delicious. I didn't feel like slicing up pepperoni so I just used some pre-sliced. Oh and I posted one of these similar a few months back in the pizza thread but I don't think I posted it here so that's okay.

8718485402_89c9db460c_c.jpg

8718484432_da3442f3c7_c.jpg

8718483100_27ce9632d7_c.jpg

DJ_Lae

Yeah I want to run my tongue all over the bottom of that crust.

Or just make my own.

Did you use any particular recipe for the crust or just your average pizza dough?

VanWinkle

Yeah I want to run my tongue all over the bottom of that crust.

Or just make my own.

Did you use any particular recipe for the crust or just your average pizza dough?

Just used my normal go-to pizza dough recipe. Nothing customized about it or anything like that.

how many is it serving

id want at least half of that to myself

I got half and I gave the other half to my dad, lol. It's definitely an indulgence.

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (May)

Hummus by Yes Boss!

hummus1.jpg

hummus2.jpg

hummus3.jpg

First time making hummus, but with a very simple and easy-to-follow recipe from Yes Boss!(see recipe at link up top) it came out near perfect. I would probably use a bit more water next time to get the best consistency. They only downside is that blending the hummus broke down my beloved blender :/ I'm beginning to think that with all these kitchenwares breaking down lately it's a sign for me to get a stand mixer... Oh well I can live without a blender for some time...

thespot84

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (May)

Hummus by Yes Boss!

hummus1.jpg

hummus2.jpg

hummus3.jpg

First time making hummus, but with a very simple and easy-to-follow recipe from Yes Boss!(see recipe at link up top) it came out near perfect. I would probably use a bit more water next time to get the best consistency. They only downside is that blending the hummus broke down my beloved blender :/ I'm beginning to think that with all these kitchenwares breaking down lately it's a sign for me to get a stand mixer... Oh well I can live without a blender for some time...

Wonderful use of color

Yes Boss!

Looks good!

Sucks about the blender. All motors on these devices eventually will burn out if overworked. Even heavy duty Hobarts will take a beating if used day in and day out mixing bread doughs.

Personally, I'm probably going to get a Blixer since it seems most ideal for the type of mixing I like to do. Now, just to come up with the $1500 :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom