• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yyyeeesssss....can't wait for the pics!

To my dismay (and possibly yours!) there was literally no opportunity to take any pictures of the end results since I was serving everything in courses while continuing to cook the next thing in line, but this was absolutely one of the best meals I've ever made or eaten. Everything I bought save for the wine was locally caught/grown/produced and crazy fresh; surprisingly affordable too.

First course was steamed mussels in white wine, butter, smoked paprika, turmeric, horseradish, and dijon, with chunks of bread and mashed roasted garlic.

Next up was grilled octopus, which I simmered first in a bit of water, vinegar, peppercorns, and lemon for about an hour before grilling; saved the liquid for reduction into a great little sauce. Finished the octopus with a toss in some parsley, marjoram, olive oil, and lemon zest on a bit of baby spinach.

Last thing was a whole roasted rockfish stuffed with lemon and rosemary, rubbed with olive oil. 15 minutes at 450, this thing only needed minimal embellishment... Really fantastic. Served it with slow roasted cippolini onions, fresh porcini mushrooms (so fat and fluffy!), and purple asparagus.

A few weeks ago my focus experiment was tempura, and having conquered that, my current experiment is dumplings (gyoza in particular).

Didn't take any pictures, but I made some gyoza that turned out fantastic. In taste, anyways -- the pleats were terrible. XD

I'm gonna practice more on my pleating, and even gonna test my luck on trying to fold them ala xiao long bao.

Yay! First use of the grill this year. Bought a garlic marinated pork culotte(thigh), and threw some sliced squash and tomato mix on the grill as well. The meat was like butter, so eventhough it feels weird to have pork on the grill as an opener for grill season it was damn good!

porkculotte1.jpg

porkculotte2.jpg

porkculotte3.jpg

This looks amazing. Seriously. If I were asked what I could have for my last dinner I'd probably say just give me whats in these pictures. Is that potato salad in the bottom one?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This weekend I'll make another pizza, but this time I'll try to make a pizza pocket!

It's going to be like a pizza and an empenada combined.

Hope it works out. I'd probably do best with some sort of empenada press but I don't have one right now.

OMG that mayonaisey thing at the bottom right looks like a heart attack, but also very tasty. Is that macaroni salad or potato salad?

I haven't been cooking much this week b/c I had to travel for work, but did make it to a couple of restaurants in Seattle while I was up there. I went to Lecosho which had one of the best sausages (har har) I'd ever put in my mouth. I thought I was bored of beet salad by now, but the one I had was refreshing and a nice palate cleanser.

8721414121_beae535347.jpg

8722531962_17845b16bc.jpg

Can any chefs recommend some books that discuss more the why's of how to prepare certain foods? I'm trying to learn a lot more about cooking, and understanding the reasons of what makes good food taste good.

Someone recommended this book a long time ago and I just bought it tonight but I'd like some more books in my library

EDIT: Should have just searched books. In case anyone wants a list of all the interesting ones I've found while searching through this thread, here's an list.

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition)
Chez Panisse Vegetables
The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition
The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

Haven't really had time to address individual replies until today.
Omg I need this. Daaaaamn. A recipe would be greatly appreciated, or at least some hints on how to go about making something like that, the chocolate mousse and mint creme parts would probably be tricky for me.

I'm going to make your pink grapefruit cookies tomorrow, I hope I don't fuck them up. The filling sounds similar to something I totally messed up once so I'm a bit worried about that lol.
The mint cakes are actually rather simple to make. Here we go:

1) Bake your favorite chocolate cake in a dome mold(if no mold, just bake muffins and use the top)
2) Once cooled scoop out cake from the bottom to make them hollow. Less cake = More mousse, you decide how much to scoop.
3) Pour boiling water over a handful of raspberries and place 2-3 berries in each dome.
4) Chocolate mousse. One of the quests was lactose intolerant so I couldn't use my go-to chocolate mousse, so I had to make another(really good) one. I'll include both recipes:

Version 1
a) Chop 125g dark bittersweet chocolate fine and melt it over a hot waterbath.
b) Whip 6 past. egg yolks with 100g sugar into a thick eggnog. Pour the chocolate into the eggnog.
c) Whip 4-5 past. eggwhites until soft peaks and fold half of it in the choconog, and then gently fold all of it back into the remaining eggwhites.

Version 2
a) Chop 200g dark bittersweet chocolate fine and melt it over a hot waterbath.
b) Whip 3½ dl cream together with 2 tbsp of sugar into whipped cream.
c) Fold melted chocolate into the cream.

5) Scoop the mousse into the hollowed domes. Use plenty, you'll have more than enough mousse and as it will servse as the bottom feet of the domes it only makes them more stable the more mousse you use. Also the mint cream will cover any mess you make ;-). Place in fridge while making the mint cream.
6) Swiss meringue mint cream:
a) In a heatproof bowl constantly whisk 5 eggwhites together with 225g sugar over a hot waterbath until it reaches 71 celsius degrees (~10 min)
b) Take it out of the bath and mix on high speed for another ~10 mins. The meringue should be thick and glossy and neutral to touch. Pour in a teaspoon(or 2) of mint extract and some food coloring(optional) during the last min of mixing. Don't add too much liquid as it will make the cream too runny.
7) Shape the cream over the domes and burn with a blowtorch(if you have one). Set in fridge 2 for at least 2 hours.

Good luck! And good luck with the grapefruit cookies!

Looks good!

Sucks about the blender
Ha, guess what my parent in-law gave me as an early birthday present yesterday:
blender.jpg

What are the odds of that? My blender broke the day before yesterday and we hadn't even finished the hummus yet!

This looks amazing. Seriously. If I were asked what I could have for my last dinner I'd probably say just give me whats in these pictures. Is that potato salad in the bottom one?
Haha that's a great compliment! Yes that's potato salad, you can't have summer without potato salad imo.
Not sure if you just mean "liquid" here, but using the retained chickpea "juice" is the best bet here instead of plain water.

Viva paprika ;).
Yup meant the water which the chickpeas had cooked in.

OMG that mayonaisey thing at the bottom right looks like a heart attack, but also very tasty. Is that macaroni salad or potato salad?
Yup potato salad, and it's actually not that rich in mayonaise. Surprisingly it feels rather light to eat (maybe I'm just desensitized by it).

Also I'll gladly put your sausage in my mouth... It looks sooo good!

Can any chefs recommend some books that discuss more the why's of how to prepare certain foods?
Check out Joy of Cooking. My wife's aunt (who used to cater) gave this to us not long after we started dating and as a REAL beginner at the time (not that I'm anything special now) I found it incredibly useful.

Also I'll gladly put your sausage in my mouth...
Someone needs a custom tag...

Well today was supposed to be my first date in months, but seeing as how that entirely imploded well beforehand, let there be pizza doings!

qT60Ppe.jpg

Cheese: Kerry Gold Swiss Finally got to it after being prompted earlier in the thread---well worth the wait as this definitely made for a nice, smooth swiss indeed. Good melt and a taste that would likely not lose against native Swiss cheese if they went head to head.

Crumble: Deep River Snacks Mesquite BBQ The first of 2 more I stumbled upon of this brand, the more "normal" one by far and a quite competent BBQ chip indeed with just the slightest hint of smokiness and actually a tiny bit more of a kick to it---paired well with the smooth nature of the Swiss.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I remade the same pizza as last week as I continue to familiarize myself with the process. Same ingredients: dough mixed with oregano, rosemary, basil, flax meal, and topped with tomato sauce, red onions, mushrooms, sausage, basil leaves, and mozzarella. I wanted to add black olives but forgot to.

The difference this time was the sausage, last week it was chorizo which worked perfectly with this pizza, this week it was figs and porto sausage, which is not as tasty.

Regardless, still a great pizza. Next time I'll increase the quantities in toppings since I was holding back thinking it would be too much.

One thing I'm not doing is letting the dough rise after making it. As soon as I'm done I shape it and top it. What does it really do? I heard you're supposed to leave it a few hours.

Some Meditteranean cuisine (Lebanese restaurant). Chicken shawarma, beef shawarma, shish tawouk, kafta kabobs, grilled vegatables, chicken kabobs, rice, the works.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

94238214823376202308013.jpg

Dom Brunt

Haven't really had time to address individual replies until today.
The mint cakes are actually rather simple to make. Here we go:

-snip-

Good luck! And good luck with the grapefruit cookies!

Thank you so much (and yesss, no US measurements, I don't have to do the conversions lol)! Can't wait to try those. And the cookies turned out great although not as pretty as yours. Still, everyone loved them and I'll definitely be making them again :)

ShinAmano

So I promised pics...sorry no clue how to make GAF show the pics...but enjoy the linked images.

21lbs of pork...rubbed and injected sitting on a fresh bed of lump and soaked apple chips.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8730961095/

Some smoke:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732083040/

15 hours later:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8730960769/

Pulled:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732082794/

Up Close:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81575884@N02/8732082610/

I HATE METROID KILLER SOOOO HARD
... I don't even wanna know how you feel in a few hours with some more sweet coming up...

CARNITAS!!!
Wow that looks very nice. No idea what carnitas is though, will have to look it up!

So I promised pics...

21lbs of pork...
Christ! that's a lot of meat!

Looks good, the caramel seems to have the perfect consistency.

Made wok for dinner, but I was apparently out of regular onion, so a bag of frozen pearl onions saved me!

wok.jpg

Consists of:
Veg. oil
Sesame oil
Veal fond
Sour cream
Grounded ginger
Sesame seeds
Chickpeas
Chopped rawit chili
Pearl onions
Spring onions
Carrots
Squash
and green asparagus
Haricot verts

CrankyJay

Banned

I haven't been cooking much this week b/c I had to travel for work, but did make it to a couple of restaurants in Seattle while I was up there. I went to Lecosho which had one of the best sausages (har har) I'd ever put in my mouth. I thought I was bored of beet salad by now, but the one I had was refreshing and a nice palate cleanser.

8722531962_17845b16bc.jpg

I thought you were vegetarian for some reason. Am I wrong?

Seeing the picture above reminds me that I have a question for IronGAF - when I was in Florida I ate at a Mexican restaurant (Iguana Mia) and was served what I could describe as pickled onions. They were pink and I assume they were soaked in something for awhile. It was a tangy sort of taste. Any idea what this is called and how to make it?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Seeing the picture above reminds me that I have a question for IronGAF - when I was in Florida I ate at a Mexican restaurant (Iguana Mia) and was served what I could describe as pickled onions. They were pink and I assume they were soaked in something for awhile. It was a tangy sort of taste. Any idea what this is called and how to make it?

Red onions + white wine vinegar + water + pickling spices and herbs.

Dom Brunt

I made a cake for mother's day, my mom asked for a Sachertorte, this was a bit modified but close enough. It was pretty good even though I'm not a fan of traditional Sachertorte.

bWrhbKy.jpg

I may have gone a bit overboard with the chocolate shavings lol.

And here are the pink grapefruit cookies I made from the recipe Metroid Killer linked, I didn't use food coloring so they're not pink like MK's. I also didn't use cookie cutters, I just made little balls of the dough and flattened them with my palm on the cookie sheet, worked out well enough like that too. I used a little bit less powdered sugar in the filling since MK said he thought it was too sweet and it still turned out a tad too sweet for my taste so I added a little bit more grapefruit juice and also lightly wiped some juice on the cookies before filling them. The end result was yummy and leaves a funny tingling sensation in the mouth :p

i9o8ho6.jpg

Do you have the recipe? Looks tasty.

CARNITAS
3 lbs pork shoulder (chopped into 2-3 inch cubes)
1 tsp oregano (I used two sprigs of dried oregano)
1 orange
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups of water (the pork has its own natural juices so don't worry if it doesn't cover all the meat)
HEALTHY OPTION I also made bacon for breakfast earlier in the day so I kept the bacon fat and threw it into the pot

Combine chunks of pork shoulder, oregano, orange (squeeze juice over meat then throw rinds in), cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice, and water in a Dutch oven or oven safe pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Transfer pot into a 300 degree F (150 degrees C) and braise for 3 hours or until pork slides easily off a fork when stabbed. Ladle pork out of braising liquid and shred. Reduce braising liquid by a third. Evenly layer shredded pork onto a baking sheet and ladle braising liquid over the pork. Broil in oven for 10-15 minutes or until pork is crispy on top and bottom. Serve!

--------------------------------------------

Had some skin leftover from the pork shoulder I used for carnitas so I made some crispy pork skins:

img3601fm.jpg

img3603k.jpg

img3605j.jpg

Anyone got a good recipe that they've used before for habanero hot sauce? Have enough for maybe one batch and I've never tried making hot sauce (made chili jam once but it wasn't that great).

I have a ton of cayennes too which I'm planning on making into another hot sauce (maybe that Asian one which is mostly oil, minced chillies and maybe garlic).

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (May)

Rhubarb Fragilité

rhubarbfragilite1.jpg

Rhubarb is in season! And for the first time I'm making a dessert where I harvested the main ingredient myself. We got a huge amount of rhubarb in our garden, so I'm been cooking up rhubarb desserts the whole weekend.

rhubarbfragilite2.jpg

rhubarbfragilite3.jpg

The first entry is Fragilité with rhubarb cream. Apparently fragilité is a Danish invention from 1910 which was a time were French pastries where the finest stuff, so they gave their desserts French names.
The usual fragilité is with moccacream between layers of fragile(hence the name) almond meringues. Powdered with plenty of powdered sugar and cut into squares.

rhubarbfragilite4.jpg

It's rather simple to make.

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Almond meringue layers
4 eggwhites
200g sugar
200g almond flour​

Rhubarb cream
300g rhubarb (chopped into ½ inch)
150g sugar
1 tsp nonoxal (or follow the guidelines on your oxalic acid neutralize product)
2 sheets of gelatin
½ litre cream

Directions
Almond meringue layers
- Whip the eggwhites to soft peaks while gradually adding the sugar.
- Fold in the almond flour, and spread out the meringue batter on a cookie/baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 mins at 150 celsius. It should come out dry and crisp but not burnt dark.
- Let it cool slightly and cut it into 3 equal pieces. This is where it got its name from, it will break no matter how careful you are.

Rhubarb cream
- While the cake is baking slowly bring the chopped rhubarb, nonoxal and sugar to a boil. Let it boil of a couple of minutes and take off the heat to cool (use fridge if it's a hot day).
- Bloom the gelatin sheets in cold water after the cake layer has baked for 30 mins. Then after an additionally 30 mins take the sheets out of the water into a sauce pan/small bowl to be placed in a hot waterbath.
- Once the gelatin has melted take it off the waterbath and stir in some of the rhubarb compote. Then mix it back into the rest of the rhubarb compote.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold into the compote.
- Spread out the cream between the 3 layers and let it set in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving sift powdered sugar on top of the cake and cut it into squares.
rhubarbfragilite5.jpg

Rhubarb Soup

rhubarbsoup1.jpg

rhubarbsoup2.jpg

Ice cold rhubarb soup! You can enjoy it as thirst quencher or add some sour cream and kammerjunker(Danish biscuit). I made a huge amount of soup because of all the rhubarb in my garden, which some of my neighbours have already had the joy to taste, as well as frozen some of it down as popsicles to be enjoyed on the next sunny day.

rhubarbsoup3.jpg

rhubarbsoup4.jpg

rhubarbsoup5.jpg

~Recipe~

Ingredients
2kg rhubarb (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
2 vanilla beans
600g sugar
2 litre water
3 tbsp cornstarch
½ dl water
1 lemon

Directions
- In your biggest pot, bring the rhubarb, extracted vanilla seeds and the empty vanilla beans, sugar, nonoxal and water to a boil, and let it simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and let the rhubarb soak in the syrup for 2 hours.
- Place a clean cloth over a sieve. Let the rhubarbjuice pass through into another bowl. Depending on how fine your cloth and sieve is you may want to remove the cloth in order to get some of the vanilla seeds through the sieve as well.
- Stir cornstarch with ½ dl water.
- Bring the rhubarb soup to a boil and add the juice from the lemon and some of the cornstarch mixture continuing to boil the soup for a couple of mins. You only want the soup to thicken just slightly.
- Let it cool and serve ice cold.

rhubarbsoup6.jpg

rhubarbsoup7.jpg

Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake

rhubarbcake1.jpg

rhubarbcake3.jpg

This cake took me by surprise. I was looking forward to the fruity layer of rhubarb and raspberries and didn't really give the vanilla cake that much thought, but coincidentally it's been one of the best vanilla cakes I've ever had(Note: I don't bake vanilla cakes anywhere near as frequent as I bake chocolate cakes).
I added raspberries to the cake in order to give the fruit layer some more color, as the rhubarbs of my garden aren't the most reddish variety you can find. Change the amount as you like. In the cake batter I used 3 tsp of ground ginger which made the taste of ginger rather pronounced. Now I really like the taste of ginger, but most people would probably like a more subtle taste of it(2 tsp).

I served it together with pineberries. I've never heard of pineberries until I saw some in my local grocery. Apparently it's a type of strawberry with the taste of pineapple. They didn't taste exactly like pineapple, but more like a weird sweet hybrid taste of strawberry, can't really describe it. Expensive as hell though >_<

rhubarbcake4.jpg

rhubarbcake5.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields one 9 inch cake

Ingredients
Fruit layer
50g unsalted butter (room temp)
115g light brown sugar
500g rhubarb (cut into ½ inch pieces)
160g frozen raspberries
110g sugar
2 tsp cornstarch

Cake
260g flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
114g unsalted butter (room temp)
220g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs (room temp)
100 ml sour cream/creme fraiche​

Directions
Fruit layer
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar until it starts boiling. Take off the heat to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the fruits with sugar, cornstarch and nonoxal. Mix, and let it sit.

Cake
- Preheat oven to 165°C, and line the bottom of 9-inch springform with parchment. Grease paper and sides, and wrap aluminum foil around the bottom of your springform to save your oven from burnt syrup (you may want to place an oven pan under the cake while it's baking in the oven)
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a medium bowl and set them aside.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time.
- Alternately, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and ½ of the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.​

Assembly
- Spoon the melted buuter and brown sugar mixture evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Disperse the fruits evenly on top of the sugar layer.
- Pour the cake batter over the fruits. Smmoth the top and slightly bang the form on the counter to remove air pockets.
- Bake in the oven for 60 to 75 mins.
- Let it cool for 15 mins in the pan, then place your serving plate over top, and flip it very carefully because the fruit juices are boiling hot!

rhubarbcake2.jpg

Exhumed

Just want to give a huge nice job to everyone here. Tons of amazing stuff. Its food like this as to why I'm not at my ideal weight. Its no wonder I've been lurking here for years. I need to add some of my own creations my girl and I do in the kitchen very soon!

Edit: Metroid Killer, no words can describe the beauty in your foods. There is a reason the term food porn exists.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CARNITAS
3 lbs pork shoulder (chopped into 2-3 inch cubes)
1 tsp oregano (I used two sprigs of dried oregano)
1 orange
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups of water (the pork has its own natural juices so don't worry if it doesn't cover all the meat)
HEALTHY OPTION I also made bacon for breakfast earlier in the day so I kept the bacon fat and threw it into the pot

Combine chunks of pork shoulder, oregano, orange (squeeze juice over meat then throw rinds in), cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice, and water in a Dutch oven or oven safe pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Transfer pot into a 300 degree F (150 degrees C) and braise for 3 hours or until pork slides easily off a fork when stabbed. Ladle pork out of braising liquid and shred. Reduce braising liquid by a third. Evenly layer shredded pork onto a baking sheet and ladle braising liquid over the pork. Broil in oven for 10-15 minutes or until pork is crispy on top and bottom. Serve!

Great I bookmarked your post, will try this, thanks!

I need to browse through this thread and get some new recipes, I'm getting tired of cooking the same meals.

Do we have a directory of everyone's recipes somewhere?

Dereck

Cooking GAF, I made baked mac & cheese for the first time, it turned out OK. Please give me tips and suggestions for when I do this again.

I put a small block of butter and some flower into a pot on low, let it melt, mixed it together. Added one cup of milk, let it cook a bit, added some cheese, then some more milk, then some cheese, then some more milk.

I used one pound of macaroni, boiled until Al Dente. Put it into a bake pan (I don't know what you call the glass things). Added some cayan pepper, and salt into the cheese sauce after pouring the cheese sauce over the macaroni. Sprinkled some shredded sharp cheddar on top. It came out OK, my only complaint is, besides the cheese sauce, it wasn't cheesy enough. I just need to add more cheese on the top right?

Why do people use bread crumbs? Or crunched Cheeze-It crackers?

Yes Boss!

Cooking GAF, I made baked mac & cheese for the first time, it turned out OK. Please give me tips and suggestions for when I do this again.

I put a small block of butter and some flower into a pot on low, let it melt, mixed it together. Added one cup of milk, let it cook a bit, added some cheese, then some more milk, then some cheese, then some more milk.

I used one pound of macaroni, boiled until Al Dente. Put it into a bake pan (I don't know what you call the glass things). Added some cayan pepper, and salt into the cheese sauce after pouring the cheese sauce over the macaroni. Sprinkled some shredded sharp cheddar on top. It came out OK, my only complaint is, besides the cheese sauce, it wasn't cheesy enough. I just need to add more cheese on the top right?

Why do people use bread crumbs? Or crunched Cheeze-It crackers?

How much cheese did you use and what type of cheese? Those are the variables. For mac and cheese you usually have to use more than you think is necessary and a more pungent sharper style cheese at that. Of course it is a matter of taste, too. And you can mix a couple of fragrant cheeses. Roux's are pretty tough and bind and emulsify everything quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom