• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet1911

Cooking GAF, I made baked mac & cheese for the first time, it turned out OK. Please give me tips and suggestions for when I do this again.

I put a small block of butter and some flower into a pot on low, let it melt, mixed it together. Added one cup of milk, let it cook a bit, added some cheese, then some more milk, then some cheese, then some more milk.

I used one pound of macaroni, boiled until Al Dente. Put it into a bake pan (I don't know what you call the glass things). Added some cayan pepper, and salt into the cheese sauce after pouring the cheese sauce over the macaroni. Sprinkled some shredded sharp cheddar on top. It came out OK, my only complaint is, besides the cheese sauce, it wasn't cheesy enough. I just need to add more cheese on the top right?

Why do people use bread crumbs? Or crunched Cheeze-It crackers?

You can add more cheese yes. One thing I add when I make cheese sauce is some Dijon mustard (a tablespoon). It makes a huge difference.

Dereck

How much cheese did you use and what type of cheese? Those are the variables. For mac and cheese you usually have to use more than you think is necessary and a more pungent sharper style cheese at that. Of course it is a matter of taste, too. And you can mix a couple of fragrant cheeses. Roux's are pretty tough and bind and emulsify everything quite well.

Just for texture I think, especially since it's very easy to overcook the pasta when you're baking it in a liquid on top of having already cooked it.

This, the crunch on top works nice with the goey soft inside.

You can add more cheese yes. One thing I add when I make cheese sauce is some Dijon mustard (a tablespoon). It makes a huge difference.
ooooo, thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
Cooking GAF, I made baked mac & cheese for the first time, it turned out OK. Please give me tips and suggestions for when I do this again.

I put a small block of butter and some flower into a pot on low, let it melt, mixed it together. Added one cup of milk, let it cook a bit, added some cheese, then some more milk, then some cheese, then some more milk.

I used one pound of macaroni, boiled until Al Dente. Put it into a bake pan (I don't know what you call the glass things). Added some cayan pepper, and salt into the cheese sauce after pouring the cheese sauce over the macaroni. Sprinkled some shredded sharp cheddar on top. It came out OK, my only complaint is, besides the cheese sauce, it wasn't cheesy enough. I just need to add more cheese on the top right?

Why do people use bread crumbs? Or crunched Cheeze-It crackers?

Use more flavorful cheese for the sauce. I love adding some Gruyere to sharp cheddar, but that can get a bit pricy. Also, I highly recommend adding some pieces of bacon throughout. Delicious.

Can anyone photoshop this dog out of the picture?
Here ya go. I hope it's what you wanted!
notimedog.jpg

Yesterday I made

Choux pastry

Or Vandbakkelse as these Danish version of Choux pastry are called.

vandbakkelse1.jpg

vandbakkelse2.jpg

vandbakkelse3.jpg

I haven't made choux pastry before, but had heard rumors that it's easy to screw up the batter in several ways, but in the end they came out perfect. I rarely buy pastries at a bakery since it's really expensive where I live, but once in a while I do buy these vandbakkelse, and honestly the ones I made are just as good if not better. The jelly came out a little too watery, but nothing a small adjustment can't fix next time.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Metroid Killer, don't ever stop posting these delicious ass pics. I'd make love to some of your creations if I could.

The great thing about choux pastry is all that air inside, they feel very light to eat, or... you can fill'em up!

Which is what I did yesterday when I made another batch.

vandbakkelse4.jpg

vandbakkelse5.jpg

Half of them filled with raspberry cream and the other half with mango mousse. Suddenly just two of them feels like you gained 3 extra kilos.

Made yet another domeshaped entremet. I have to use some of my other molds, but the dome sure is versatile in its use

Tropical Entremet

tropicalentremet1.jpg

tropicalentremet2.jpg

tropicalentremet3.jpg

At the bottome there's a chocolate spongecake, a slice of fresh pineapple with bittersweet chocolate mousse, a dome of mango mousse and decorated with colored coconut shreds.
Loved the juicyness from the pineapple, great contrast to the somewhat dry chocolate mousse, and that mango mousse is still the king of mousses!

VanWinkle

Made a simple little pepperoni pizza. Didn't cut my own pepperoni. Just used pre-sliced because I was lazy. Oh well. Still delicious.

8760756738_3a344ea92f_c.jpg

8759630531_0938a25c73_c.jpg

8760752094_e22b3b0206_c.jpg

OH. Also, just got my first cast iron skillet, and after a couple missteps with it, and then some lengthy reseach on the internet, I've successfully cooked on it. I LOVE IT! Everything was SO tasty.

Silkworm

OH. Also, just got my first cast iron skillet, and after a couple missteps with it, and then some lengthy research on the internet, I've successfully cooked on it. I LOVE IT! Everything was SO tasty.

Just wondering, what did you cook on your new cast iron skillet? At first I thought it might be the pizza you pictured in your post but it looks a little too large for that. Have thought about using a cast iron skillet to make pizza but I'm just not sure how well it'd turn out.

VanWinkle

Just wondering, what did you cook on your new cast iron skillet? At first I thought it might be the pizza you pictured in your post but it looks a little too large for that. Have thought about using a cast iron skillet to make pizza but I'm just not sure how well it'd turn out.

No, I tried frying eggs first haha. Interestingly, though, I DID make a pan pizza with the cast iron skillet and it turned out AMAZING.

Silkworm

No, I tried frying eggs first haha. Interestingly, though, I DID make a pan pizza with the cast iron skillet and it turned out AMAZING.

Oh! I've got a baking stone but I wasn't thrilled with the results I got. Of course it was just my 1st try so I should probably not give up on it just yet but I need something better than the peel I've got to help move the pizza around when it's baking. I've got an Exo Super Peel, which is great for getting the pizza on the stone and getting it off but it's not really good for more subtle movements like shifting a pizza a half turn on the stone. Also the recipe I had was for a thin crust so I think I either stretched the dough too much or didn't let it cook fully through when I went to turn the pizza because the middle rip to shreds :-( A pan though would kind of avoid these issues, the only problem being how to I get the pizza out of the pan to prevent it from overcooking? Invert it onto a wire rack and then back up right? *shrug* I'll have to give this more thought. I have made a deep dish pizza in a 9 inch cake pan and that turned out well so I suppose the same should hold true for a regular pan pizza in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. :)

VanWinkle

Oh! I've got a baking stone but I wasn't thrilled with the results I got. Of course it was just my 1st try so I should probably not give up on it just yet but I need something better than the peel I've got to help move the pizza around when it's baking. I've got an Exo Super Peel, which is great for getting the pizza on the stone and getting it off but it's not really good for more subtle movements like shifting a pizza a half turn on the stone. Also the recipe I had was for a thin crust so I think I either stretched the dough too much or didn't let it cook fully through when I went to turn the pizza because the middle rip to shreds :-( A pan though would kind of avoid these issues, the only problem being how to I get the pizza out of the pan to prevent it from overcooking? Invert it onto a wire rack and then back up right? *shrug* I'll have to give this more thought. I have made a deep dish pizza in a 9 inch cake pan and that turned out well so I suppose the same should hold true for a regular pan pizza in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. :)

Cooking with a stone was hard at first. There's no denying that. I spent my fair share of frustrations. TRUST ME. But now I'm usually getting pizza's like the one I posted very consistently. You just have to get into the groove of it because it really is the superior method of home oven pizza making. I always put a light dusting of cornmeal on my peel, and always give the pizza a little shake a couple of times while you're topping the pizza. In terms of your pizza ripping in the middle, that can come from improperly hand tossing the pizza, or also from over-topping near the middle.

Keep it up. You'll get it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Made a simple little pepperoni pizza. Didn't cut my own pepperoni. Just used pre-sliced because I was lazy. Oh well. Still delicious.

OH. Also, just got my first cast iron skillet, and after a couple missteps with it, and then some lengthy reseach on the internet, I've successfully cooked on it. I LOVE IT! Everything was SO tasty.

That looks godly.

Wow that pizza is perfect. Great work

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Might as well post it here given I've posted it everywhere else.

food5okdn.png

Two scotch fillet steaks marinated for 24 hours in Worcestershire sauce, hot English mustard, habanero Tabasco sauce, freshly crushed garlic, and pepper. Cooked medium rare on the barbecue.

One large potato cut into strips, shook with olive oil, chilli flakes, herbs, and chicken salt. Cooked on the barbecue.

Strips of zucchini and capsicum cooked on the barbecue, and a chopped up tomato, tossed with mixed lettuce and dressing.

One glass of White Rabbit dark ale.

Amazing.

Might as well post it here given I've posted it everywhere else.

food5okdn.png

Two scotch fillet steaks marinated for 24 hours in Worcestershire sauce, hot English mustard, habanero Tabasco sauce, freshly crushed garlic, and pepper. Cooked medium rare on the barbecue.

One large potato cut into strips, shook with olive oil, chilli flakes, herbs, and chicken salt. Cooked on the barbecue.

Strips of zucchini and capsicum cooked on the barbecue, and a chopped up tomato, tossed with mixed lettuce and dressing.

One glass of White Rabbit dark ale.

Amazing.

beIwoQw.gif

I need to move so I can grill again.

Marry me.

Silkworm

Wow that bread looks great. Such nice air pockets in that first loaf. I've dabbled in making bread but nothing serious. One of these days I'm going to buy Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice and get more serious about it.

Talon

how thick is the spine where it hits the handle? I've heard great things about the victorinox knives but at the end of the day it's still stamped, not forged, and I don't see how'd they'd get a thick spine, which is something I find more comfortable on a knife...
Eh, it's $30, so I don't worry about it too much. I chop by holding the spine in a pincer, and I find it quite comfy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm in the process of configuring/designing and equipping the first kitchen of my own.

God damn, this is some expensive (and complex) shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom