• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menelaus

Banned
Chili Verde, one of my absolute favorite dishes for cold nights. Had an unexpected cold front blow through, had to make it.

8847588457_9f60026d99_c.jpg

My recipe and instructions here

Yeah, the wedge itself is done up in alternating layers so we sliced it up lengthwise to try and preserve that aspect alongside of the handy bit of knowing that a given bite is going to be all of one thing or another---course I did mixed ones after the first time or so and they definitely blend nicely that way too.

I'm hoping to do more slow, eventual damage on all of the cheeses that company lists on the site that I can get at and are sufficiently different from prior cheeses---cost was on the premium end and luckily other cheeses(one new that my mom will probably eat well before me to where it'll need to get purchased again and another just new company that probably has a nice one) showed up yesterday via the market so the plan is to get some kinda alternating routine going as long as I can.

More semi-seasonal fare, strawberry rhubarb galette with cream:

galette.jpg

A shade on the tart side, but I prefer that to sweet anyway.
That is why I generally avoid using strawberries in desserts(unless using them fresh) as they don't add much else other than being sweet. I need the sourness of a lemon or lime, or the fresh taste of raspberries, or rhubarb which has a perfect tardy taste.

Speaking of raspberries, here's my fridge at the moment:

bdaycake1.jpg

bdaycake2.jpg

bdaycake3.jpg

I'm baking cakes for work tomorrow as it's my birthday :). A double layered chocolate cake with raspberry mousse, covered in ganache. And a mango spice cake, with lemon glaze and buckthorn berries. Now lets see if I can get that raise :p

You forgot your glasses Onkel? Actually you can't see all the minor filth in these pictures but there's a fair share of dirt and a single yellow spot at the size of a hand which we just can't get off...

Any tips on how to learn cooking? All these pictures make me jealous. I'm about to be 25 and I still can't even cook chicken! I'm tired of having to eat noodles and stuff even though I have the money to buy groceries. I think I have the hardest time cooking food the right amount, almost always resulting in over/under cooked food :(

Any tips on how to learn cooking? All these pictures make me jealous. I'm about to be 25 and I still can't even cook chicken! I'm tired of having to eat noodles and stuff even though I have the money to buy groceries. I think I have the hardest time cooking food the right amount, almost always resulting in over/under cooked food :(
1. If you're talking about cooking food in general, then get a friend or family member and make a meal together with them. Absorb techniques and ask a lot of questions

2. Choose a simple meal that you want to make, and learn to make it by trial and error.

3. If you are talking about cooking meat, then perhaps get a cooking thermometer. I only use mine when I grill, but it never fails.

Otherwise learn by your mistakes. Overcooked chicken, ok, write down how large a piece it was and how long you cooked it. Then the next time if you're gonna cook an equal size if meat cut down the cooking time.

jarosh

Metroid Killer, please post a picture of yourself. I have never been so curious as to what someone looks like, considering all the (amazing) desserts you make
and likely also consume ;)
. Just how much do you weigh work out?

1. If you're talking about cooking food in general, then get a friend or family member and make a meal together with them. Absorb techniques and ask a lot of questions

2. Choose a simple meal that you want to make, and learn to make it by trial and error.

3. If you are talking about cooking meat, then perhaps get a cooking thermometer. I only use mine when I grill, but it never fails.

Otherwise learn by your mistakes. Overcooked chicken, ok, write down how large a piece it was and how long you cooked it. Then the next time if you're gonna cook an equal size if meat cut down the cooking time.

Cool, thanks for the pointers. Going to try make a meal tomorrow.

Metroid Killer, please post a picture of yourself. I have never been so curious as to what someone looks like, considering all the (amazing) desserts you make
and likely also consume ;)
. Just how much do you weigh work out?
Yes I consume an insane amount of cakes and sweet stuff, and I realize how unhealthy it is, but! I hardly ever drink soda, I rarely drink any alcohol, regular food is healthybwith lots of veggies. In my sparetime I do Aikido, which is super important to me(I've built my own dojo in my house), and additionally my 27 year old(as of today!) metabolism is currently on my side...

Anyhow here are some pictures of me during my 3rd degree black belt test last fall. I'm the bearded fellow. Perhaps not the best pics to gauge my body shape with the suit and all...

jarosh

Yes I consume an insane amount of cakes and sweet stuff, and I realize how unhealthy it is, but! I hardly ever drink soda, I rarely drink any alcohol, regular food is healthybwith lots of veggies. In my sparetime I do Aikido, which is super important to me(I've built my own dojo in my house), and additionally my 27 year old(as of today!) metabolism is currently on my side...

Anyhow here are some pictures of me during my 3rd degree black belt test last fall. I'm the bearded fellow. Perhaps not the best pics to gauge my body shape with the suit and all...

That's awesome. Good for you, man! Clearly you're a talented dude. Your desserts are mindblowingly awesome and you make funny anagram photoshops ;)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dessert chef by day, samurai warrior by night.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I recently just learned to cook and it was mostly self taught. I started with slow cooker recipes and moved on from there. Looked up recipes here, all recipes and whatever else had a recipe list and directions. I just followed the directions verbatim for the most part then after made edits from reading comments or changed it up after learning from mistakes the first time. Surprisingly, cooking wasn't as hard as I thought. I just think of it was following directions, if you can do that you can cook. Of course with that said I do get lost if there aren't any specific directions.

In my sparetime I do Aikido, which is super important to me(I've built my own dojo in my house), and additionally my 27 year old(as of today!) metabolism is currently on my side...

Amusing coincidence, I am shodan in aikido (Furuya dojo in Los Angeles, Hombu association), and nidan in muso shinden ryu iaido (same).

Looks great - and looked at your recipe only to realize that one of the main ingredients is something I've never heard of (tomatillo) and would have no idea of how to get hold of (in UK)!

It's very easy to grow, so you could always plant some this weekend. We're in coastal Maine so a little colder than you are but we still get tons of harvest from the few we plant each year (roasted tomatillo salsa is very good, and easy to make).

bovo

It's very easy to grow, so you could always plant some this weekend. We're in coastal Maine so a little colder than you are but we still get tons of harvest from the few we plant each year (roasted tomatillo salsa is very good, and easy to make).

I'll look into it - thanks!

Amusing coincidence, I am shodan in aikido (Furuya dojo in Los Angeles, Hombu association), and nidan in muso shinden ryu iaido (same).
hah, that's awesome. We're directly associated to the Hombu dojo as well(I've been there training actually), but train the style of aikido as it was taught in Iwama.
Nice didn't know you had a blog. More stuff to be inspired by then!

Whipped up a quick dinner tonight from stuff around the house. Love this on Friday nights when I'm too lazy to do much cooking.

Spaghetti with grape tomatoes and crushed pistachios

The best dessert ever: cherimoya that's been frozen and thawed. Tastes like the world's most delicious ice-cream.

^-- Yep! I used to get custard apple and bread fruit mixed up, but I guess they're two different things. I still haven't had bread fruit though.

So I learned how to shuck oysters on a recent stage, haha.

This right here. Practice practice practice, it truly does make perfect. Trial by error, etc.

Belated happy birthday Metroid Killer, by the way.

ITIk2Xk.jpg

Well, file this one under unfortunate progress tonight:

Cheese: Delice de Bourgogne Coupe Goopy meesy sort----bad sort! Very similar to a decidedly unstellar blue cheese, a tinge of salty/sweet that just doesn't work, melts too fast and in a messy fashion beyond any logic. Yeah, file this one under Never Again!

Next week should be better, or at least something I'm less likely to regret over the night...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Had some leftover croissant scrap that was over-proofed, so what the hey, wrap it around a seared tuna steak with some serrano, garlic, and horseradish. Makeshift tuna welly.

8944074132_2d2d5511f9_o.jpg

Had some leftover croissant scrap that was over-proofed, so what the hey, wrap it around a seared tuna steak with some serrano, garlic, and horseradish. Makeshift tuna welly.

8944074132_2d2d5511f9_o.jpg

Great idea! It's like a tuna wellington. Also, is it the perspective, or are those brussels sprouts REALLY big?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I can't even find Brussel sprouts now, and I want to try the Momofuku recipe. Are they seasonal or is there some type of shortage?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I can't even find Brussel sprouts now, and I want to try the Momofuku recipe. Are they seasonal or is there some type of shortage?

season for brussels sprouts, at least in germany, is september to feb/march, so they are out of season at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom