• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom Brunt

Nothing fancy, but I've been making this rhubarb and sour cream pie a few times the last couple of weeks:

VZ139mI.jpg

Gotta make the most of those rhubarbs while they're still good and this is so simple and tasty that I can't even be bothered trying anything else lol. I'll be looking at other rhubarb recepies when I have more energy to make something that requires a little more effort, but it's too hot now. I don't even want to move (or eat) most of the time.

Am I the only one who hates warm food and heavy meals in the summer? I'd rather eat watermelon all day lol.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Figure this is the best place to ask, but anyone got a good recommendation for a mixer and a food processor? Preferably cheap, so in the mixer case guessing that means a hand mixer.

thespot84

Figure this is the best place to ask, but anyone got a good recommendation for a mixer and a food processor? Preferably cheap, so in the mixer case guessing that means a hand mixer.

shop your local department stores. Spend some time at it and you'll find a deal. You in the US? around here they always have sales on kitchen stuff. The kitchen aid stand mixer is the gold standard (their hand mixers are quality too). I like my cuisinart food processor (it's medium sized) but don't know enough to compare brands.

Nelo Ice

Banned
shop your local department stores. Spend some time at it and you'll find a deal. You in the US? around here they always have sales on kitchen stuff. The kitchen aid stand mixer is the gold standard (their hand mixers are quality too). I like my cuisinart food processor (it's medium sized) but don't know enough to compare brands.

Yeah in the US thanks for the recommendations. Will def check out my local Ross and similar stars for them. Few recipes I'm looking at need or would make life alot easier with those items so def gotta pick em up.

thespot84

Yeah in the US thanks for the recommendations. Will def check out my local Ross and similar stars for them. Few recipes I'm looking at need or would make life alot easier with those items so def gotta pick em up.

tj maxx is the shit, no joke. But sometimes even the big guys, like macy's, have good sales on that kind of stuff.

mmm....deep fried ham and cheese.

i cooked tonight for the first time in a while . . . studying for the bar is really ruining my life.

Jy4bs3d.jpg

anyway, i made a "cream of roasted red pepper" soup. i also put in some roasted chunks of zucchini and a lot of fresh basil. it came out delicious, was a big hit with the family. also really easy to make.

Nothing fancy, but I've been making this rhubarb and sour cream pie a few times the last couple of weeks:

VZ139mI.jpg

Gotta make the most of those rhubarbs while they're still good and this is so simple and tasty that I can't even be bothered trying anything else lol. I'll be looking at other rhubarb recepies when I have more energy to make something that requires a little more effort, but it's too hot now. I don't even want to move (or eat) most of the time.

Am I the only one who hates warm food and heavy meals in the summer? I'd rather eat watermelon all day lol.
If you have too much rhubarb to make use of, you can always wash any excessive rhubarb cut it into 1inch pieces and freeze them and use for another time. I currently got around 4 kg in my freezer. Nice pie!

So doing Middel Eastern confection for a change. A few days ago I prepared halva for the first time, and after setting in the fridge for 36+ hours it's now ready to consume.

Sesame Halva

halva1.jpg

halva2.jpg

I really had no idea what to expect since I have never seen or taste halva in person. I pretty much only made it as I had some tahini leftover. Anyway it's defintely an accuired taste, incredibly chewy, for some reason my brain interprets the sesame flavor as peanutbutter, leaving me rather confused. But it's sweet. So here I'm sitting 2 hours after my first piece and I can't wait to have more. Strange...

Dom Brunt

If you have too much rhubarb to make use of, you can always wash any excessive rhubarb cut it into 1inch pieces and freeze them and use for another time. I currently got around 4 kg in my freezer. Nice pie!

Yeah I already have some in the freezer but I'll freeze some more, can't let it go to waste heh. Rhubarb season = best time of the year.

thespot84

So doing Middel Eastern confection for a change. A few days ago I prepared halva for the first time, and after setting in the fridge for 36+ hours it's now ready to consume.

Sesame Halva

halva1.jpg

halva2.jpg

I really had no idea what to expect since I have never seen or taste halva in person. I pretty much only made it as I had some tahini leftover. Anyway it's defintely an accuired taste, incredibly chewy, for some reason my brain interprets the sesame flavor as peanutbutter, leaving me rather confused. But it's sweet. So here I'm sitting 2 hours after my first piece and I can't wait to have more. Strange...

It should be dense but flake pretty easily. When eating it it's kind of 'sticky' but definitely not chewy

Milchjon

Within the last 60 hours, my friend and I

• ground our own beef for some amazing burgers
  • made bratwurst from scratch
  • made some beautifully tender pulled pork
I think I ate enough meat for the year in 3 days.

:A quick cake search later:

Ah, kladdkaka! That was one on my list of promising international cakes---your pic far better than most and looks so good outright! Fantastic.

e76glld.jpg

Meat: Busseto Sweet Sopressata Nice bit of fresh meat with a good bit of good oil to it.

Cheese: Old Croc Australian Sharp Cheddar Newfound member of the Greater Cheddar Club---does everything right that a cheddar should with a nice, clean taste.

CrankyJay

Banned
That prime steak looks likes its been out for awhile, its oxidized and all that fun stuff. Not a good comparison.

Doesn't really affect taste...have you seen how a dry aged steak looks? Much darker.

Again, prime on left, wagyu on right. The method: rested out of fridge at room temp for 45-50 min, lightly coat in olive oil, got cast iron pan screeching hot with clarified butter (actually set off my fire alarm, my alarm company called me), pan seared 2 mins eat side, put in oven for another 2-3 minutes at 350. Just kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
lcGNyty.jpg

Thermapen measured 125-130 for both, so I'm not sure the lighter color really shows the correct doneness here...these look more medium for some reason.
yqQNlko.jpg

For the price and taste and tenderness, I think a dry-aged prime ribeye is a better deal for me at $23 a pound than wagyu at $33 a pound (local prices).

Zyzyxxz

Why did you use olive oil though? It's a terrible oil for high heat searing and for taste comparisons you should have used a neutral flavored oil. Other than that the steaks look great and I am jealous of your experiment.

Yeah I'm much more conservative to the use of olive oil compared to my earlier years of cooking, the taste can be invasive to the meal at times. Perfect looking steaks though, that's the exact color I would ask for at a fine restaurant.
I baked kladdkaka (Swedish mud cake) wish marshmallows for the first time
Great looking cake. So you bake it in the oven with the marshmallows on it, they don't get burnt?

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (June)

Homemade Waffle by Cosmic Bus

waffle1.jpg

I've baked waffles countless times as a teen living home with my parents. Would wake up at around 1 am, quickly whip up some waffle mix, and because of the routine, be eating the first waffle only 15 mins after conceiving the idea... The stench in my room was horrible, but I slept well and full.
For some reason I've never made my own waffle batter though, and when it comes to pancakes that's always been my gf's domain, so I haven't bothered to enter that area until yesterday! I used a recipe provided by Cosmic Bus and although waffle batter is some really simple stuff to make I became sceptical real soon. The recipe called for an insane amount of flour, and only 1/3 to be mixed in, all the remaining flour to be sprinkled while the dough rose... what!? When I had finally prepared the batter it was thick, like a really moist bread dough, completely different from the runny waffle mixes I'm used to... what!?

My early scepticism had made me do some research and the recipe was of course for Belgian waffles, which explained the alien batter consistency. My waffle-iron is for flat heart-shaped Scandinavian waffles, but it worked out all fine in the end.

I haven't had that many Belgian waffles in my life actually, only a handful of times and I can't remember the last time I had one, so it's kinda difficult to compare, but they were nice. And considering how dry they are compared to the ones I'm used to, I was happy to serve them with ice cream and fruits. They were even better for breakfast this morning. I ultimately prefer the Scandinavian kind, but I'll defintely give these another try sometime.

Give in to the temptation that is Waffle Cakes Metroid Killer....all you need is for your machine to break down right before you pour the blasted batter in and the stubbornness to not want to waste it that propels you to quickly heat up a skillet and make it happen!

The obvious changes to the "expected" surface area alongside the likely different thickness make it rather novel---extra crispness can be had by going the cast iron skillet route probably.

CrankyJay

Banned
Why did you use olive oil though? It's a terrible oil for high heat searing and for taste comparisons you should have used a neutral flavored oil. Other than that the steaks look great and I am jealous of your experiment.

All I had on me. I guess I didn't need it with all of the clarified butter I had in the pan.

You're right about the high heat and destabilizing the oil though. I think any flavor olive oil has at that point is gone anyways.

jts

...hate me...
Guys, what can I do with some Creme Fraiche about to expire? I bought a package on a whim the first time I saw it on sale because every other recipe used it and now it's almost going to waste.

Sweet or savory (preferably sweet), not overly complicated. Unless it's completely justifiable.

Give in to the temptation that is Waffle Cakes Metroid Killer....all you need is for your machine to break down right before you pour the blasted batter in and the stubbornness to not want to waste it that propels you to quickly heat up a skillet and make it happen!
Haha I'm stubborn enough to do the same, accidents like those always come out fine one way or another imo.

I'm feeling up for some nachos for E3 tomorrow, anyone sitting with a good homemade salsa recipe?

Edit:
Guys, what can I do with some Creme Fraiche about to expire? I bought a package on a whim the first time I saw it on sale because every other recipe used it and now it's almost going to waste.

Sweet or savory (preferably sweet), not overly complicated. Unless it's completely justifiable.
I got a recipe for a nice Mars bar creme that goes well with chocolate cake/brownie, etc. Will post once I get home from grocery shopping.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

You should make a quiche!

Thanks, sounds delicious. Much appreciated.

Mars Bar Creme

2 Mars Bars
2 tbsp cream
200 g creme fraiche (room temp)

Cut the bars into small pieces and melt them over low heat in a sauce pan together with the cream.
Whip the creme fraiche until it becomes light and airy (almost like whipped cream, but not quite). Add the melted bars and mix until you get an even creme.

Now the two times I've made this creme it always ends up way more runny than what I like(from the images in book I got it from, it appears quite thick). So I've folded in some whipped cream(100-200g) and let the creme set in the fridge for an hour or two.

Repost from prev page
I'm feeling up for some nachos for E3 tomorrow, anyone sitting with a good homemade salsa recipe?

Last two summers the weather has been shitty here in Denmark, and although it's no excuse, we only used the grill two times last summer, on the only two days with a sunny weather :/

But this summer is fucking amazing. We've grilled more than 10 times already, and it looks like it'll continue like this! Yes!

grilledmeat1.jpg

grilledmeat2.jpg

I'm not sure what the pork cut is called in english(american), but it's the meat at the neck, so I guess you would call it a blade/neck roast. For some reason google translated 'nakkefilet' into loin... It was garlic and oregano marinaded. Pork chops in bbq marinade, sausage with bacon(inside!), two alu foils with mixed veggies and potatoes.

After dinner we were so full we both felt sick! I love summer!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Repost from prev page

I'm not sure what the pork cut is called in english(american), but it's the meat at the neck, so I guess you would call it a blade/neck roast. For some reason google translated 'nakkefilet' into loin... It was garlic and oregano marinaded. Pork chops in bbq marinade, sausage with bacon(inside!), two alu foils with mixed veggies and potatoes.

Boston butt or Shoulder?

I was in Copenhagen over the weekend and ate and drank. We were at Café Victor, Paté Paté and Pluto. Really good food. I like Copenhagen a lot.

jts

...hate me...
You should make a quiche!
I'm so sorry Metroid Killer, I ended up going with this! :( Quiche is a nice challenge that I never took. And I love quiche :D

It's in the oven right now, but taking way too long to solidify. Hope I didn't mess it up by putting too much milk.

Your recipe looks amazing though, and I'm noting it down for the next time I bake a cake ;)

Zyzyxxz

R

It should be called pork collar.

thespot84

i've used extra light olive oil on high heat on many an occasion. the olive taste isn't noticeable at all and the smoke-point rivals most anything else. I would fry with even regular olive oil (let alone extra virgin or first press) but the extra light works fine.

CrankyJay

Banned
i've used extra light olive oil on high heat on many an occasion. the olive taste isn't noticeable at all and the smoke-point rivals most anything else. I would fry with even regular olive oil (let alone extra virgin or first press) but the extra light works fine.

I literally use only enough to coat the steak to season it. I guess it was unnecessary but I was already buzzed on Cabernet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Repost from prev page

Last two summers the weather has been shitty here in Denmark, and although it's no excuse, we only used the grill two times last summer, on the only two days with a sunny weather :/

But this summer is fucking amazing. We've grilled more than 10 times already, and it looks like it'll continue like this! Yes!

grilledmeat1.jpg

grilledmeat2.jpg

"Soon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom