• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a really good dinner for myself and really cheap. Bought a really nice, fresh beef tomato. Cut it into big meaty slices and arranged it on a plate, cooked some bacon and placed it on the tomatoes, with some nice Reblochon that I had left cut into small cubes and placed on the tomato. Added some alfalfa sprouts, a fried egg in the middle. Drizzled the lot with olive oil and balsamic, and put some parmesean instead of salt and was very good, low carb dinner. And cheap!

Now, that said, need some dinner advice for the weekend. Have some pork belly and some apples. Would like to keep it fairly low carb. Beyond that, I'm open.

Now, that said, need some dinner advice for the weekend. Have some pork belly and some apples. Would like to keep it fairly low carb. Beyond that, I'm open.
Zyzyxxz should be able to educate on that as he has made some incredible stuff with pork belly throughout the years.

I made Raspberry Pies with Vanilla cream.

rasppie1.jpg

rasppie2.jpg

My gf is currently in Greenland for a 3 week project, which leaves me with the problem called too much dessert... Now I ate 2 out of 8 pies, which is perfect because I got 6 close colleagues at work. But I still have more than half of the vanilla cream left. Any suggestions for a good use. I'm thinking of just making a mixed fruit salad if nothing pops up.

You cant get tortilla chips and cheese?

Best chips are home made anyway; just cut up some corn tortillas and fry em up, lay on paper towels and liberally salt with coarse kosher. Disclaimer: I am eating this right now, with a grated cheddar and cotija, and a quick avocado + salt + lime mash (aka, the one true guac).

Birthday season in our household, wife made a mocha chocolate layer cake with butter-cream for our daughter at her request. Piping on butter-cream:

cake-1.jpg

Final cake with some decaf chocolate covered espresso beans for decoration:

cake-2.jpg

Yum, looks great. Especially the pastry shell part.

Birthday season in our household, wife made a mocha chocolate layer cake with butter-cream for our daughter at her request. Piping on butter-cream:

cake-1.jpg

[/IMG]

Lucky daughter. I love any type of chocolate cake.

I made an apricot pie last night. My first time making apricot pie and I kind of winged the filling b/c I needed to use up the apricots from our tree. I think the filling was a bit too watery b/c it didn't really 'set' even after baking for 75mins at 375F. What's the solution for that? More flour?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That cake is impressively huge, Briareos!

I made an apricot pie last night. My first time making apricot pie and I kind of winged the filling b/c I needed to use up the apricots from our tree. I think the filling was a bit too watery b/c it didn't really 'set' even after baking for 75mins at 375F. What's the solution for that? More flour?

In my experience, flour as a thickener in fruit pies is really, really terrible in terms of both effectiveness and flavor. Cornstarch or tapioca are the way to go.

^-- I was debating cornstarch too, but didn't want it too gloopy. But it was still gloopy when I used flour! What kind of texture does cornstarch give? I'm always scared of cornstarch making things kinda slimy.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
^-- I was debating cornstarch too, but didn't want it too gloopy. But it was still gloopy when I used flour! What kind of texture does cornstarch give? I'm always scared of cornstarch making things kinda slimy.

Well, cornstarch can be gloopy, I suppose. Depends on how much you're using!

Actually, now that I look into this a bit more, arrowroot powder seems to be one of the most ideal thickeners for a fruit pie, particularly if it's something acidic like berries. The arrowroot doesn't "cloud" your liquid the way corn would, has roughly the same thickening strength, and maintains a more appealing consistency once cooled.

I would go for arrowroot as well or potatoe starch. Too bad it's almost impossible to get arrowroot here in Denmark.

In general starch from roots will be clearer more gel-like, but also weaker as a thickening agent, compared to corn/grain starch.

Apricot pie? Hmm I wonder what this is like. I'm a 33 year old man but just recently (as in the past 2 months recent) discovered the joys of apricots. Specifically dried apricots. Never heard of apricot pie before.

Honestly, they are probably my least favorite of the stone fruits. Sometimes I find them too mealy. But since I have an apricot tree, for a 2 weeks each year, I get a ton of apricots that I don't know what to do with. They're pretty good off the tree if it's a good year, though.

Made crawfish boil and gumbo last week:
5j8b.jpg

Yum, looks great. I love crawfish even though it's a ton of work for not that much meat, haha.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
since I have an apricot tree, for a 2 weeks each year, I get a ton of apricots that I don't know what to do with. They're pretty good off the tree if it's a good year, though.

Apricot jam is my favorite! Make some and send it to me for my birthday in October :3

Seared off a little Corvina before work
yISWrD3.jpg

Also trying to pull stuff together for culinary school is stressing me outttt, I just wanna be in it already

Haven't done any cooking at all in over 3 weeks (unless you count stuffing choizo and gouda into a baguette 'cooking'). Did have some 30 euro/kg jamon for dinner though, so that was pretty nice.

I'm staying in a hotel with a kitchenette, but they have no pots, pans, utensils or dishes to make anything with. WTF? Actually wouldn't mind cooking some basic pasta or something right now.

I had homemade crumpets (at a riad in Marrakech a couple of weeks back) for the first time. I didn't even know people MADE these. Man, they were awesome.

Four, baked as two then cut in half. I'll take a pic when we open it up tomorrow at the party.

Here you go:

cake-sliced.jpg

Piping lemon curd into vanilla cake for the rainbow themed part of the dessert:

cupcakes-1.jpg

Final preparation before plating on a sort of pyramidal serving thing:

cupcakes-2.jpg

Exhausting day when you include our new goats and the whole Middle Eastern platter made for dinner (smoked the hell out of our eggplant for the baba ghanoush, was awesome)!

Awesome stuff.

Whenever I make a several layered cake I'm always so bad at cutting appropriate sized pieces. I'm always, 'the piece can't be this thin! I will never get full like that, it has to be at least double the size!!' cue sugarrush/stomach pains/nausea. Though I always end up cutting yet another piece, just because I can...

And yes it can be rather exhausting to spend so much time in your kitchen, but the knowledge, experience and products are always worth it.

+1 for the lemon curd.

Yeah I need to make sushi again soon. Actually I'm planning to go seriously into Japanese cuisine for a period in the near future. I found a nice website where you can get some great wholesales on Japanese food products, something that is ridiculously expensive here in Denmark.

Double post bump... Bake me!

Any suggestions on what food to make for yourself only. My gf is away for a project for several weeks, and suddenly I just don't feel like make any of the meals I usually make. Instead I end up with some really barebone no love-infused food that my body probably hates me for. Seems like a silly thing to ask for, but having cooked for two people for almost ten years do that to you I guess.

Also I just bought a pizza stone, although a very cheap one(does it matter?), but there're no instructions. I assume you place the stone while the oven is heated up, no? Anything else I should know?

Got some stuff coming up later, maybe tomorrow.

CrankyJay

Banned
Double post bump... Bake me!

Any suggestions on what food to make for yourself only. My gf is away for a project for several weeks, and suddenly I just don't feel like make any of the meals I usually make. Instead I end up with some really barebone no love-infused food that my body probably hates me for. Seems like a silly thing to ask for, but having cooked for two people for almost ten years do that to you I guess.

Also I just bought a pizza stone, although a very cheap one(does it matter?), but there're no instructions. I assume you place the stone while the oven is heated up, no? Anything else I should know?

Got some stuff coming up later, maybe tomorrow.

Pre-heat the pizza stone, use flour or corn meal under your dough to keep it from sticking to the stone

^-- Is there anything avocado can't improve? No. No, there is not.

Dined outside tonight with some tapas. Helllllo summer! Washed it down with a nice glass of txakoli, refreshing!

9062608793_7f4ba5cce2.jpg

9062608685_faaeeae91a.jpg

patatas bravas, sauteed mushrooms, white bean salad, roasted red pepper, cornichons, and a hunk of my favorite cheese: humboldt fog.

9062608715_e4035077f9.jpg

Broiled fig and apricots for dessert.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (June)

Elderflower Cordial

eldercordial1.jpg

Now here's something I've been looking forward to make for a long time. I discovered the wonders of elderflower only a few years ago, but since then it has been a stable summer drink for me. Now with my newfound adventures into the world of desserts, it's time to give elderflower some spin!

eldercordial2.jpg

So I harvested some elderflower from my garden, but decided that I would get some from a nearby park as I was going to make a large amount of cordial. When I picked off the flowers in the park I was surprised by how much pollen the flowers had, my bag was completely dusted by it. Then when I got home I placed the bag with all the flowers and went to do some stuff for 10 mins. I suddenly noticed that my arm was full of lice and other small insects... Shit! I went back to my kitchen and saw that all the 'pollen' was crawling all over the place, flying in the air, etc. After opening windows, shaking some flowers and thinking the project was ruined, I managed to get Insect-less Elderflower Cordial in the end.

eldercordial3.jpg

~Recipe~
(Note I doubled the amount listed)

Ingredients

15 large elderflower heads (never pick near roadsides, etc. Remember to shake off any insects!)
4 dl water
700 g sugar
½ lemon
20 g citric acid​

eldercordial4.jpg

Directions

- Rinse the flowers in water and let the water drip off. Place in a large saucepan/pot.
- Slice the lemon into thick slices. Shortly boil the slices, water, sugar and citric acid in another pot while stirring. Pour over the flowers.
- Place a lid on the flowers and store in fridge for 2 days.
- Place a wet cloth over a funnel and let the liquid run down into sterilised bottles.
- If using sterilised bottles, it will keep for months. But you can also freeze it if necessary. Mix with water and other liquids to make drinks, or use as ingredient in desserts.​

eldercordial5.jpg

Elderflower Cream in Strawberry Trifle

eldercream1.jpg

So here's a really easy cream. Due to the elderflower cordial it doesn't feel too heavy, so use it in place of regular whipped cream to add a light summer touch to your desserts.
I used it in a strawberry trifle, and I have to say that the combination of srawberries and elderflower is godlike. I tried with various other fruits(elderflower and banana don't go that well together for some reason...) and this was no doubt the winning combination.
I was thinking about soaking the strawberries in elderflower cordial, but decided against it as this weekend has already crossed the line of too much elderflower really.

~Recipe~

Ingredients

400 ml heavy cream
50 g icing sugar
4~ tbsp Elderflower Cordial​

Directions

- Beat the cream and sugar to soft peaks.
- Gently fold in the elderflower cordial to taste.​

Elderflower Pannacotta

eldercotta1.jpg

First time making pannacotta. Didn't realized it was this easy, nor this good. For some reason I viewed it as lesser to mousse(why use a good cream to make, pudding when you can have mousse?). But I was pleasantly surprised. The consistency is sooo good, every bite is satisfying to chew through. And perhaps I remember my memories from eating pudding as a child wrong, or perhaps it's the elderflower that does the difference, but it has such a great taste. Once again the combo with strawberry made the dessert.

~Recipe~
Yields: 6-12 serves depending on what molds/ramekins you use. (If 150 ml in volume then about 6)

Ingredients

4 sheets of gelatine
600 ml heavy cream
55 g sugar
120 ml Elderflower Cordial​

Directions

- Soak the gelatine in water. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat the cream and sugar until it has dissolved. Don't bring it to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Squeeze the water out of the gelatine and add to the hot cream., stir until dissolved. Add the elderflower cordial and stir.
- Pour cream into the molds, and when cooled down set in fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- To remove from the molds, run the tip of a knife around the edges of the creams then turn them out onto the plates and give them a good shake.​

elderflower.jpg

Elderflower Marshmallows

eldermallows1.jpg

Marshmallows is also new territory for me. But it's not as hard to make as you may think. I'm pretty sure that I overcooked the syrup mixture(which makes it really hard to get the marshmallows firm), but I just had to let them set for 2 days instead of 1 and they came out perfect. I coated them with icing sugar and passion fruit powder, which were superior with their zingy taste.
Also your kitchen will be transformed into a big sticky mess, but luckily it's all soluble in hot water and comes off easily.

eldermallows2.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 30-40 marshallows)

Ingredients

11 sheets(3 envelopes) of gelatin
175 ml(2/3 cup) elderflower cordial
125 ml(½ cup) water
340 g(1 cup) light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
340 g(1½ cups) granulated cane sugar(beet sugar wont work)​

eldermallows3.jpg

Directions

- Prepare a 20x30cm(8x12in) pan by spraying oil on it. Then sift a generous amount of icing sugar over the bottom and sides.
- Bloom the gelatin in water.
- In a small saucepan stir togeter water, syrup, salt and sugar over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved increase to high heat and cook until temperature reaches 115°C(240F), do not stir.
- While the syrup is cooking warm up the elderflower cordial in a mixer bowl in a hot waterbath and melt gelatin(water drained) together with it.
- Once the syrup mixture is at the right temperature slowly pour it into the elderflower cordial while mixing on low. Once all of the syrup is incorperated set speed to high and mix for 15 mins or until batter is thick and fluffy.
- Pour into the prepared pan, dust with some more icing sugar and let it set for 1 to 2 days at room temperature. Cut into pieces with a pizza cutter and dredge icing sugar.​

Zyzyxxz

^-- Is there anything avocado can't improve? No. No, there is not.

Dined outside tonight with some tapas. Helllllo summer! Washed it down with a nice glass of txakoli, refreshing!

9062608793_7f4ba5cce2.jpg

9062608685_faaeeae91a.jpg

patatas bravas, sauteed mushrooms, white bean salad, roasted red pepper, cornichons, and a hunk of my favorite cheese: humboldt fog.

9062608715_e4035077f9.jpg

Broiled fig and apricots for dessert.

That looks like a nice spread, wish I had some sort of backyard to eat outside.

Metroid Killer, when are you gonna come visit us in Switzerland, so you can make desserts for us we can hang out?
Too bad my brother broke up with his gf from Zurich, I'm sure I could exchange desserts for some creative Metroid memorabilia made by you...

Actually I wish I could hand out some marshmallows to IronGaf, there's still 2/3 left, and I just can't eat anymore. I also think my neighbours are getting weirded out by the amount of food I give to them...

More weekend baking. I made English muffins based off of a King Arthur recipe since we couldn't find our Cooks Illustrated one. This is a more thick dough rather than a more liquidy batter; you don't need to use rings for it. I was a little skeptical about the rising; had to heat the oven up and let it sit in a warm oven to get any rise. Also didn't end up with the amount of "nooks & crannies" I wanted, but they're still tasty brushed with melted butter and broiled.

english-muffins.jpg

Wife made cinnamon rolls for Father's Day. They are decadent:

cinnamon-rolls.jpg

jarosh

Too bad my brother broke up with his gf from Zurich, I'm sure I could exchange desserts for some creative Metroid memorabilia made by you...

Actually I wish I could hand out some marshmallows to IronGaf, there's still 2/3 left, and I just can't eat anymore. I also think my neighbours are getting weirded out by the amount of food I give to them...

I looooooooooove marshmallows so much. And those look absolutely delicious. Also: elderberry is very popular here in Switzerland. Used in desserts, teas, spiritis etc. But I've never heard of it used in Panna cotta. Sounds really intriguing.

Metroid, have you seen Hugh Fearnesley-Whittingstall's River Cottage series? They do some great infusion/extraction drinks throughout the series with things like nettles and what not, it's a great show. Your elderberry drink made me think of it, nice work!

So I harvested some elderflower from my garden, but decided that I would get some from a nearby park as I was going to make a large amount of cordial. When I picked off the flowers in the park I was surprised by how much pollen the flowers had, my bag was completely dusted by it. Then when I got home I placed the bag with all the flowers and went to do some stuff for 10 mins. I suddenly noticed that my arm was full of lice and other small insects... Shit! I went back to my kitchen and saw that all the 'pollen' was crawling all over the place, flying in the air, etc. After opening windows, shaking some flowers and thinking the project was ruined, I managed to get Insect-less Elderflower Cordial in the end.

Nice panna cotta but ugh...the bugs crawling on the flowers gave me goosebumps! This is why I don't like flowers in the house.

Metroid, have you seen Hugh Fearnesley-Whittingstall's River Cottage series? They do some great infusion/extraction drinks throughout the series with things like nettles and what not, it's a great show. Your elderberry drink made me think of it, nice work!
Yeah I watch River Cottage every once in a while, haven't seen any episodes on drinks though.

Nice panna cotta but ugh...the bugs crawling on the flowers gave me goosebumps! This is why I don't like flowers in the house.
Yeah I was really turned off by the bugs, mostly just the thought of them being in my food. Luckily not a single one got through as I strained the cordial through a cloth. Next time I'll be checking the flowers twice before putting them in the basket.

Can anyone recommend a specific white wine BRAND to use for making pan sauces? Recently, I used Duckhorn sauvignon blanc to make a basic pan sauce -- shallots, chicken stock, white wine, reduce, swirl in butter at the end -- and the damn sauce was too tart/sour. I was tempted to add sugar to make it less mouth puckering, but I doubt most people need to add sugar to their white wine pan sauces. So what went wrong. Was it the brand? At least it wasn't bitter.

Cooks Illustrated recommended I use a dry sauvignon blanc, non-oaked. The place where I purchased the bottle of Duckhorn did not have any description of the wine, so I gambled, and lost. I'm not a wine person, so I'd really appreciate it if someone can actually recommend a popular brand I can pick up at a Bevmo. Or are these sauces supposed to be tart?

thespot84

Can anyone recommend a specific white wine BRAND to use for making pan sauces? Recently, I used Duckhorn sauvignon blanc to make a basic pan sauce -- shallots, chicken stock, white wine, reduce, swirl in butter at the end -- and the damn sauce was too tart/sour. I was tempted to add sugar to make it less mouth puckering, but I doubt most people need to add sugar to their white wine pan sauces. So what went wrong. Was it the brand? At least it wasn't bitter.

Cooks Illustrated recommended I use a dry sauvignon blanc, non-oaked. The place where I purchased the bottle of Duckhorn did not have any description of the wine, so I gambled, and lost. I'm not a wine person, so I'd really appreciate it if someone can actually recommend a popular brand I can pick up at a Bevmo. Or are these sauces supposed to be tart?

brand, no idea, but you could dry a pino grigio. those usually aren't oaked anyways, and tend to be sweet.

Did you end up buying a sauv. blanc? Not sure about brand since the taste of wine varies from year to year and, but what thespot84 said was right: a sauvignon blanc or a not-sweet pinot grigio should be good. Just make sure to taste the wine before you start cooking with it. If the recipe calls for dry white wine, when you take a sip it should feel the opposite of sweet and tart, if that makes sense -- almost like the wine is evaporating off the back of your tongue. I wouldn't cook with anything you can't stand drinking. Usually you can get some decent stuff in the $10 range that you can also drink with dinner.

If you have it lying around, a dry vermouth also works.

Yeah I need to make sushi again soon. Actually I'm planning to go seriously into Japanese cuisine for a period in the near future. I found a nice website where you can get some great wholesales on Japanese food products, something that is ridiculously expensive here in Denmark.
Broooooooooo, do it. I'd love to see your artistic eye applied to Japanese food.

Keep it posted! :D

Speaking of Japanese food, I got shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7-spice) and yuzu kosho (citrus chili paste) today. Opening up the door for new stuff!

I didn't take a picture of it because my uramaki are still ugly, but an avocado/tamari/yuzu kosho maki roll is my snack for tomorrow.

brand, no idea, but you could dry a pino grigio. those usually aren't oaked anyways, and tend to be sweet.

Nice, I'll try that next. Eventually I'd like to find a sauvignon blanc that works for the recipe.

Did you end up buying a sauv. blanc? Not sure about brand since the taste of wine varies from year to year and, but what thespot84 said was right: a sauvignon blanc or a not-sweet pinot grigio should be good. Just make sure to taste the wine before you start cooking with it. If the recipe calls for dry white wine, when you take a sip it should feel the opposite of sweet and tart, if that makes sense -- almost like the wine is evaporating off the back of your tongue. I wouldn't cook with anything you can't stand drinking. Usually you can get some decent stuff in the $10 range that you can also drink with dinner.

If you have it lying around, a dry vermouth also works.

Yeah the Duckhorn I bought was definitely a sauv blanc. I didn't know to look out for those characteristics though, so I will make sure to make note of those with the next wine I buy . Thanks!

Right there with you. Noelly Pratt is usually my go to vermouth for making pan sauces, as recommended by none other than Julia Child in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But I thought I'd try an actual wine this time. What a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom