• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
~Recipe~
Yields: 30-40 marshallows)

Ingredients

11 sheets(3 envelopes) of gelatin
175 ml(2/3 cup) elderflower cordial
125 ml(½ cup) water
340 g(1 cup) light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
340 g(1½ cups) granulated cane sugar(beet sugar wont work)​
I'd like to try this recipe (it looks delicious) but I refuse to eat gelatin. Will pectin work maybe?

Finding vegetarian/vegan marshmallows isn't easy.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im just recently learning to relax with meat temperatures. I still cook my chicken fairly well but i got my lamb and steak down to a reasonable medium.

Rösti;64593651 said:
I'd like to try this recipe (it looks delicious) but I refuse to eat gelatin. Will pectin work maybe?

Finding vegetarian/vegan marshmallows isn't easy.
Some quick research seems to indicate that this vegan marshmallow recipe is sound. Got some special ingredients but also lists where to buy them.

As the marshmallows I made was just a modified common marshmallow recipe, you easily add cordial to the vegan version. Add the cordial where it says to stir in vanilla. You want to use less amount of cordial compared to my recipe, but I guess you have to experiment to find out.(maybe less water, more cordial?) Good luck!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
does half as thin mean the same thing as twice as thin? I've gone and confused myself.

Looks great, either way

Yes, my brain kind of failed there.

I'm used to working with 1-1.5 inch steaks, this was like 0.75 inch.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some quick research seems to indicate that this vegan marshmallow recipe is sound. Got some special ingredients but also lists where to buy them.

As the marshmallows I made was just a modified common marshmallow recipe, you easily add cordial to the vegan version. Add the cordial where it says to stir in vanilla. You want to use less amount of cordial compared to my recipe, but I guess you have to experiment to find out. Good luck!
Great! I remember having read some vegan marshmallow recipe a few years ago, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps it's the one linked. Thank you very much.

My mother-in-law makes some pretty amazing vegetarian marshmallows (can't remember if they have egg or not), will scare up the recipe when I get home tonight or tomorrow. We've actually thought about selling them commercially, but it's hard to estimate the market size for something like that.

kami_sama

Because I just did the last test until next year's, I want to bake some bread.
Some good recipes? I only have a shitty oven, so there are some things I'm not able to do.

Because I just did the last test until next year's, I want to bake some bread.
Some good recipes? I only have a shitty oven, so there are some things I'm not able to do.

I follow the Tassajara sponge method generally. It looks like this:

Dissolve 2 T yeast in 6 C lukewarm water. 3 T for larger rise.
Add 2/3 C sweetener (honey, molasses, maple syrup), mix.
Begin sponge with 4 C whole wheat flour, 3 C unbleached white. Add one cup at a time, mixing with wooden spoon.
After 7-8C have been added, beat 100 times with ye olde wooden spoon, making sure to stretch the sponge and not break it when mixing.
Cover with damp cloth or plastic and let rise 60 minutes. Preferrably near somewhere warm. Check up on it every now and then to make sure it isn't overflowing bowl.

Fold in 1 C melted, unsalted butter or oil, 3 T salt.
Add another 4 C of whole wheat flour, 3 C unbleached white, one cup at a time, folding in with spoon.
Realize things are going to get messy as you form the dough.
Set aside 2 C of unbleached white for kneading.
Flour kneading surface. Transfer dough.
Knead by folding, pushing across with palm.
Turn, repeat. Add more flour if sticks.
Knead for 15 minutes, until the dough has a pliable texture and smooth, slightly sticky sheen.
Clean bowl, small amount of oil or butter to grease surface of bowl, place dough in, flip over, then leave to rise 40 minutes.

Punch down gently but firmly across surface of dough with closed fist.
Let rise for 50 minutes.

Shape into four loaves, add to greased (buttered) bread pans. Press down gently with fingers to flatten into pans, then turn over.
Let rise 20 minutes.

Mix one egg and some cream in a small bowl. Use a brush to apply to top of loaves. Score loaves to permit steam to escape when baking.

Bake for one hour at 350.

Remove from pans, let rest for ten minutes, then eat.

You can do general substitutions for the flour to taste. For instance to make a nice oatmeal loaf, I usually sub in 5C of oatmeal for 5C of flour in the second stage. To make a buttermilk bread, scald (bring to slightly above lukewarm) 5-6C of buttermilk in place of water when starting the sponge. Etc.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone have a good lower cal mac & cheese recipe? I want to make some this weekend but also want to be able to have a bowl or two of it without having a heart attack.

failure.jpg

Yeah, don't add marshmallows to your baking cake too soon or this will happen... Oh well I haven't had a failure for quite some time, so it was long overdue. Luckily nothing important. I had a lot of leftover marshmallows and I had all the right ingredients for my favorite chocolate cake(x2!). Why not, what I can't eat I'll bring to work.
Never having done much with marshmallows I decided to place them on a choco cake inspired by Blizniak's mudcake a few pages ago. I placed the marshmallows when there was 10 mins left of baking, but already after a few mins the marshamallows had created a singularity in the middle of the cake collapsing it entirely, sucking in the walls of the cake as well. I just shrugged it off, didn't matter that much, but the cakes just wouldn't turn solid, after another 20 mins they were still a runny mess. They were ready after another 30 mins with the marshmallows completely caramelized. Hmmpf! I took out the cakes out of the oven and decided to decorate with some new marshmallows. Nope, they melted right through into the black marshmallows hole.

So I watched some action flick on netflix while eating any good pieces and threw out the rest in the garbage bin :D

Really enjoy your posts and pictures. Do you have a blog or tumblr I can follow?
Thanks, good to hear :)
But no, IronGAF is my blog as of now. I'll most likely start one sooner than later, as I'm purposely already writing some of my posts as blog entries. Though IronGAF is what started this and IronGAF is what kept me going so I'll always be here first and foremost.

thespot84

making a dessert for tomorrow, looking for some recipe feedback:

The dinner theme is 'superfood' (as in it has to have a superfood in it), so my thinking was 3 small parfaits for each person:

1. The Superman - Yogurt, Chia/Walnut/dark chocolate, blueberry, and pomgranit

2 The Green Lantern - Yogurt, Chia/Walnut/dark chocolate, wheatgrass/banana (as a layer), honey

3. The Batman - Yogurt, Chia/Walnut/dark chocolate, Acai/Blackberry (to get it as dark as I can)

I've never done anything with acai, chia, or wheatgrass, so I'm not sure what's going to go well together. Also, should I make the fruit/grass layers into custards or something to thicken them up? Feedback and suggestions welcome!

making a dessert for tomorrow, looking for some recipe feedback:

The dinner theme is 'superfood' (as in it has to have a superfood in it), so my thinking was 3 small parfaits for each person:

1. The Superman - Yogurt, Chia/Walnut/dark chocolate, blueberry, and pomgranit

2 The Green Lantern - Yogurt, Chia/Walnut/dark chocolate, wheatgrass/banana (as a layer), honey

3. The Batman - Yogurt, Chia/Walnut/dark chocolate, Acai/Blackberry (to get it as dark as I can)

I've never done anything with acai, chia, or wheatgrass, so I'm not sure what's going to go well together. Also, should I make the fruit/grass layers into custards or something to thicken them up? Feedback and suggestions welcome!
I know acai and wheatgrass, but haven't made anything with them myself. First time hearing about chia seeds. Just to be clear are you making parfait (frozen dessert) or are you making American parfait, I assume the latter since you mentioned layers.
I think if you mix the banana with the wheatgrass juice it should be thick enough not to seep through the layers. I wouldn't do anything to the berries other than rinse them in water to clean them :) If you mash them in any way then they will be runny and you will have to suspend that layer between two pretty solid layers(thick yoghurt for example).

Looking forward to see pictures!

thespot84

I know acai and wheatgrass, but haven't made anything with them myself. First time hearing about chia seeds. Just to be clear are you making parfait (frozen dessert) or are you making American parfait, I assume the latter since you mentioned layers.
I think if you mix the banana with the wheatgrass juice it should be thick enough not to seep through the layers. I wouldn't do anything to the berries other than rinse them in water to clean them :) If you mash them in any way then they will be runny and you will have to suspend that layer between two pretty solid layers(thick yoghurt for example).

Looking forward to see pictures!

Thanks! I hope it's good enough to take pics!

CrankyJay

Banned
Does anyone else hate tarragon like me?

Had a nice filet mignon at a steak house the other night and it came with a side of bernaise sauce. This is my 2nd time having bernaise and I think it's the tarragon that just ruins it for me...it has like a licorice like flavor that I just can't stand.

The steak stood on its own anyway, so I just ate it plain.

Also...got some amazing dry aged rib eyes for tonight. Pics later...they're fucking dinosaur steaks.

Does anyone else hate tarragon like me?
Hmm I'm pretty ok with tarragon and I really dislike anything liqorice. I usually mix it with a lot of different herbs.

And you've only had bernaise sauce twice?? Does not compute! Especially not, considering your love for meat. It's absolutely my favorite sauce and I've had it an endæess times, heh.

CrankyJay

Banned
LOOK at these bad boys...

Dry-aged prime rib eye...16.99 a pound

This is $56 worth of meat...lol

G6Ez0AV.jpg

zbSDdBr.jpg

Grilling these guys tonight, baking some hasselback potatoes in the oven...and just some sauteed onions and mushrooms.

And lots of wine.

Jesus, you weren't kidding about them looking like dino steaks. Straight out of a cartoon. You know, you make me doubt wether or not going with pastry was the right choice for me. And going with hasselback potatoes is the icing on the cake(Wait, I'm afraid this comment has gone too meta). Enjoy your amazing meal!

CrankyJay

Banned
Fuck it...all in

I coated in canola oil this time instead of olive oil

tTUKA8K.jpg

Qv2MkcP.jpg

KArKnfq.jpg

epebpWC.jpg

ADGjebZ.jpg

u2XMDlH.jpg

Mushrooms and onions sautéed in bacon grease and deglazed with sherry.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

G6Ez0AV.jpg

zbSDdBr.jpg

Grilling these guys tonight, baking some hasselback potatoes in the oven...and just some sauteed onions and mushrooms.

And lots of wine.

Damn, where did you get those from?

Had an extra can of condensed milk and I didn't wanted to use it for pie filling. Figured I would use it in a smoothie, and I just happened to have a watermelon in my fridge...

Watermelon Smoothie
watermelonsmoothie1.jpg

It was nice, the best watermelon smoothie by far, which is good, since the flavor can be so vague at times. The condensed milk made it rather sweet, but you can always just substitute it with regular milk, if you don't have a sweet tooth.

Recipe:
750g watermelon, chilled(cut into cubes)
1 can(397g) of condensed milk, chilled
1 tsp vanilla sugar
5-6 ice cubes

Put all ingredients in a blender and mix.

Edit:
Oh I almost forgot! I bought one of these yesterday
Which is perfect as I'm visiting my parents summerhouse this weekend, and they have a campfire. What stuff do I need to make some good popcorn? Special oils, salts, etc? Thanks!

Made Japanese curry last night, needs a little more roux but otherwise really good. I wish my mom would let use ground beef instead of up rump roast chunks. The meat's all tough :( Oh well, veggie curry for me :)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made Japanese curry last night, needs a little more roux but otherwise really good. I wish my mom would let use ground beef instead of up rump roast chunks. The meat's all tough :( Oh well, veggie curry for me :)

Tell your mom to cook it longer, until the chunks are fork tender.

TheExodu5

Banned

G6Ez0AV.jpg

zbSDdBr.jpg

And lots of wine.

Some day I'll try to find some proper dry aged meats. Looks great.

What? Who doesn't like pasta?? It's so good all the time.

My mother, who grew up in the prototypical Italian-American family outside Philly. Two kitchens, meat curing in the basement, her mother cooking all the time. My mother-doesn't like pasta. I think a reaction against the patriarchy or something.

Me, I will eat aglio e olio or carbonara three times a day if I can burn it off quickly enough...

Also your husband's dish looks awesome, would eat that in a second too ;).

Dom Brunt

Edit:
Oh I almost forgot! I bought one of these yesterday

Which is perfect as I'm visiting my parents summerhouse this weekend, and they have a campfire. What stuff do I need to make some good popcorn? Special oils, salts, etc? Thanks!

Wait, what is that thing, give me a name so I can google it! I've never seen one before but now I must have it only because there's popcorn inside :drool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom