• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, but can someone explain how it works? I know there's bacteria, but if boiling will kill it and make the marinade usable, how would a grill fire not do the same thing?

Either way, just to be safe, I already threw it away and got a new bottle.

It may kill bacteria but the problem is you've let it grow/breed/multiply. It will begin to leave waste, and the waste won't be killed off and will get you sick.

IronGaf, my apologies if I asked this before but I'm considering having a house built and as far as the kitchen goes, I was wondering ..

1. What do you like about your kitchen?
2. What do you hate about your kitchen and wish you could change?
3. What would you do if you could build your kitchen from scratch / what would your fantasy kitchen be like?

I'm dreaming about the idea of a lot of counter space (preferably with no cabinets above a good portion of it since I'm tall). And a sink in front of a big picture window that lets a lot of light in. Oh and a stainless steel double door refrigerator.

The natural lighting.
The small sinks and the low faucet.
3. What would you do if you could build your kitchen from scratch / what would your fantasy kitchen be like?
Lots of storage for pots and pans. Huge farmers sink, and a rinse hose with strong water pressure.

I key in on the sink because I've had to go outside to spray down a big pot, in winter time. It's not fun.

Rookje

IronGaf, my apologies if I asked this before but I'm considering having a house built and as far as the kitchen goes, I was wondering ..

I'm dreaming about the idea of a lot of counter space (preferably with no cabinets above a good portion of it since I'm tall). And a sink in front of a big picture window that lets a lot of light in. Oh and a stainless steel double door refrigerator.

51e02c04fb04d67c9b0000e6._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

Open "cabinet" shelves to showcase your servewear. It makes the kitchen look more open and inviting. Compare it to this;

file.php

51def44e74c5b60bca0021f3._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

I like white subway tile. Its a big trend atm for kitchens.

51bbce56d9127e261f00053b._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

Farmhouse sinks.

CRS

My dream kitchen would have a rack/hooks for plenty of pots and pans. Always a struggle putting them away currently.

Ultryx

I live in an apartment and it's my first time being on my own, but I can already list things I wish I had or did not have.

1. I like the oven. It's newer and works well. The temperature seems to be well-regulated, heats up quickly, and keeps the temperature maintained.

2. I wish I had more counter space, had more cabinetry that was my height for pots/pans, and I wish the sink was deeper.

3. Fantasy kitchen is probably lots of stainless steel and granite. French door fridge, convection oven, those fancy oven tops with the stone heating, an island with all the pots and pans hanging from it, and a magnetic knife strip with a great set of knives (I'm simple I suppose).

Jefklak

1. This:
BRD7h7SCUAAM4iI.jpg:small

2. It's too clean - I don't have shelves to put stuff on. For instance Seeds & nuts are kept in empty nutella pots but in a drawer at knee height - sucks. This is in our new house - in my previous appartment there were two separate shelves to put these things on. But they would collect (a lot of) dust and my g/f thinks it's not very hygienic.... I can still change this, someday, hopefully.

3. A kitchen island but not with sink or so but for one purpose only: kneading dough. So a wooden counter, at a height so I don't need to bend my back. The kitchen table is standing in the way right now. In Belgium/Europe (?) it was normal to have two tables (in the kitchen where you normally eat and in the living room where you eat when you have guests). We have that too but I don't really think it's needed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm honestly not a big fan of islands unless used as tables. Whenever I see something like this...

... I can't help but think that the owners have a cleaning lady or don't cook much by themselves. Oil is going to splash through it and onto the other side, water is going to spill from moving pots and you are going to end making up a mess sooner or later.

These don't look as impressive (probably because the kitchens are also smaller), but they are certainly more usable

My previous kitchen was shaped in two bars, one at each wall, and I kind of hated to carry pots and pans from one countertop to the other.

What would be a good place to buy some good white dinnerwear? I'm thinking crate & barrel.

We have the Revol brand stuff, which you can get online or sur la tab. It's classic white, dishwasher safe, and fairly sturdy. Most of my pics on white plates/bowls are on those.

So I had a couple of friends come over this weekend, so I prepared my Homemade Burgers;

H3TccQbl.jpg

4MrpfoTl.jpg

xK7Yfkzl.jpg

IgO8yskl.jpg

gtgOEDXl.jpg

Garlic and Parmesan Bun
ihgMW33l.jpg

Sunflower Seed Ciabatta
QIAHKb6l.jpg

For Dessert My Cinnamon Fluffy Pancakes with Nutella and Raspberry Jam;

eXYvasHl.jpg

LkKLy4gl.jpg

qmEpFtcl.jpg

Yesterday I also Made Black Bean Beef;

CBLnDSTl.jpg

AfLAPfgl.jpg

8QvMugjl.jpg

G7tsXNWl.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

1. It's mine. MINE. As in paid with my money.
2. I'll report back when it's finally done :(
3. Lots of natural light. My kitchen is tragically limited in that regard (just one big window, but it's in a corner and not particularly well positioned).

Also, I have a question for the rest of Iron-GAF: what kind of stove do you prefer and where do you live? I've noticed that depending on the country certain setups are much more popular than others. I'm from Spain and I decided to purchase an induction cooktop like this one.

One my friends has one and it's damn fast. I also like that it's very, very easy to clean, not unlike your typical glass-ceramic cooktop.

TheExodu5

Banned
My parents just bought a flat electrical countertop stove and it's terrible. I don't know if they're all like this, but the way this one works is that it just ossilates between on/off to control the heat. It never seems to just stay at one temperature. Heating something over medium heat takes an absurd amount of time...it takes 5-10 minutes for the pan to reach the appropriate temperature. You need to put it on high for a while and bring it down to the right temperature to do anything in a reasonable amount of time.

My standard coil electrical stove just works way better, so I think I would just get that for myself if I had my own house. Induction would be an option but I don't like the fact that I can't take a pan off the element without it turning off.

Gas would be my ideal, though.

^-- Yep, gas all the way for me. The more BTUs the better. If I were designing my kitchen from scratch and money was no object, I'd go for a commercial-grade gas range. They're much cheaper (but you have to have enough clearance so your kitchen doesn't catch on fire) and more powerful.

What I have now:

I think it also depends on what you usually cook. We do a lot of Chinese food and stir fries, so more fire is needed. Having direct control of the heat and being able to see how much heat is going into a pot (small flame vs big flame) is also a big plus for me. I hate how you just have to guess at the results w/ an electric stove. I also do enjoy the absurdly short amount of time it takes to boil water on that stove.

thespot84

^-- Yep, gas all the way for me. The more BTUs the better. If I were designing my kitchen from scratch and money was no object, I'd go for a commercial-grade gas range. They're much cheaper (but you have to have enough clearance so your kitchen doesn't catch on fire) and more powerful.

What I have now:

I think it also depends on what you usually cook. We do a lot of Chinese food and stir fries, so more fire is needed. Having direct control of the heat and being able to see how much heat is going into a pot (small flame vs big flame) is also a big plus for me. I hate how you just have to guess at the results w/ an electric stove. I also do enjoy the absurdly short amount of time it takes to boil water on that stove.

That thing isn't commercial?!

Yea, if you prefer an electric stove to a gas stove I really have nothing to say. From a cooking perspective the gas stove's advantages just blow electric out of the water.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yea, if you prefer an electric stove to a gas stove I really have nothing to say. From a cooking perspective the gas stove's advantages just blow electric out of the water.

Gas is better, but I'm an incredibly paranoid person when it comes to gas leaks and I *hate* how hard they are to clean.

Edit: But if I had the money and the space, I would love one of these bombass Teka gas stoves.

Gas is better, but I'm an incredibly paranoid person when it comes to gas leaks and I *hate* how hard they are to clean.

Yeah thats why I dont think I'd get a gas range stove. I'm paranoid about gas. And I'm very dopey and forgetful. I'd surely burn my house down or suffocate myself.

That thing isn't commercial?!

Nope, it's the residential model with unsealed burners. I think the unsealed burner makes it a little easier to clean since everything just falls into this drip tray thing that slides off. We do have to scrub the cast iron grates every couple of weeks.

I had this for 2nd breakfast today:

Is there anything more satisfying than a perfect soft-boiled egg with a little salt and pepper?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not in a million years I would have expected to see a legit chorizo sub @ GAF.

Next time try to fry the chorizo and split it in two halves with a long cut in the middle.

J7gZcOy.jpg

I like it neat (just bread and chorizo), but you can add some fried green peppers and maybe some cheese.

mUypQ7E.jpg

I like it neat (just bread and chorizo)
Me too, but this was all I had for dinner tonight so I felt the need to add some healthy green, and I had some iceberg lettuce anyway. Oh and the addition of mango was purely random as it was getting old, but man it was fiiine in the sub, a good sweet contrast to the chorizo and tomato.

Not in a million years I would have expected to see a legit chorizo sub @ GAF.
I like it neat (just bread and chorizo), but you can add some fried green peppers and maybe some cheese.

mUypQ7E.jpg

Oh man, that looks so good. Is a chorizo sub a thing? I've had chorizo before and a sub before, but never heard of them going together. I usually have chorizo in tacos or burritos.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mexican chorizo is reeeeeaaally different from Spanish one, AFAIK. The Mexican variety is more of a spicy, fresh mince that may or may not be encased, whereas Spanish chorizo is actually a dry-cured sausage (long or short, there are many variations and shapes).

Fresh or mildly-cured chorizo is usually better for subs as it retains some moisture and doesn't turn too hard after frying, but dry chorizo can be chopped in small bits and then fried (usually with onions) for sauces. It goes great with pasta.

The chorizo sub is basically the quintessential Spanish staple along the Spanish omelette and the paella.

^--- Oh yeah, I've only had the Spanish chorizo in a handful of places here. Most of the time, it comes on a charcuterie plate. One place I go to for brunch has a pretty good fried potatoes and chorizo side. But still no chorizo subs to be found.

Yes Boss!

1I'm from Spain and I decided to purchase an induction cooktop like this one.

One my friends has one and it's damn fast. I also like that it's very, very easy to clean, not unlike your typical glass-ceramic cooktop.

Yeah,

I've been cooking on a single induction burner for the last year. I don't think I'll never not have at least some induction going forward. Gas is no. 1 for copper and high-high-heat (wok cooking like naked said) but induction is just so responsive, clean, and just flat-out cool to work with.

Mexican chorizo is reeeeeaaally different from Spanish one, AFAIK. The Mexican variety is more of a spicy, fresh mince that may or may not be encased, whereas Spanish chorizo is actually a dry-cured sausage (long or short, there are many variations and shapes).

Fresh or mildly-cured chorizo is usually better for subs as it retains some moisture and doesn't turn too hard after frying, but dry chorizo can be chopped in small bits and then fried (usually with onions) for sauces. It goes great with pasta.

The chorizo sub is basically the quintessential Spanish staple along the Spanish omelette and the paella.

I have a Spanish import shop near me (For LA gaf, La Española), but nothing comes close to chorizo from Leon, also their morcilla. I need to visit my family over there more often.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
^--- Oh yeah, I've only had the Spanish chorizo in a handful of places here. Most of the time, it comes on a charcuterie plate. One place I go to for brunch has a pretty good fried potatoes and chorizo side. But still no chorizo subs to be found.

I surmise (more like "I'm pulling this out from my ass") that proper Spanish chorizo is a bit too expensive outside of Spain and maybe some European countries to be put into something as rustic and simple as a small loaf of bread while keeping it as cheap as a chorizo sub should be.

I'm also a big fan of morcilla, but it has to be grilled over coals. Fried one gives me a bit of heartburn.

I have a Spanish import shop near me (For LA gaf, La Española), but nothing comes close to chorizo from Leon, also their morcilla. I need to visit my family over there more often.

I've heard that, uh, some people, may smuggle jamón and other cuts for their relatives and friends abroad by putting the sealed packages inside of a bunch of magazines and mailing them to wherever.

That's a urban legend, I'm sure.

jarosh

Anyone here have a good recipe for a traditional British (buttermilk) scone? The kind that goes well with clotted cream, jam and tea...

I've heard that, uh, some people, may smuggle jamón and other cuts for their relatives and friends abroad by putting the sealed packages inside of a bunch of magazines and mailing them to wherever.

That's a urban legend, I'm sure.

That reminds me of the time I came back from Italy with a nice tube of cured meat in my luggage. I was ready to just go through and not declare it in customs, but of course, my goody two shoes husband who always volunteers too much info has to tell customs about the imported meat in my luggage and they took it away. NOOOO. I'm still mad about that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That reminds me of the time I came back from Italy with a nice tube of cured meat in my luggage. I was ready to just go through and not declare it in customs, but of course, my goody two shoes husband who always volunteers too much info has to tell customs about the imported meat in my luggage and they took it away. NOOOO. I'm still mad about that.

You can bet your ass that night some TSA agent had a nice Italian dinner at your expense.

^--- Ugh I know! That's the part that kills me. Must be nice to be a TSA agent, watching stuff off of stolen iPads and eating nice imported food.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have some fresh tomatoes. What's the best recipe for an easy pizza sauce from scratch? Just dice up tomatoes, add some tomato paste, spices a bit of olive oil and blend?

Chourico and Linguica are damn fine alongside Spanish Chorizo---the Mexican variety is the only one I've never had.

Iberian domination as usual on the cured front, in other words.

I have some fresh tomatoes. What's the best recipe for an easy pizza sauce from scratch? Just dice up tomatoes, add some tomato paste, spices a bit of olive oil and blend?

If they're really good tomatoes, you don't even need to cook them up. Just get a giant bowl and rub a clove of garlic all over the inside of the bowl. Dice up the tomatoes and put in the bowl, add olive oil, salt, pepper, and torn up fresh basil if you have. Cook up some pasta, drain, and then toss into that bowl and stir. The hot pasta will warm up the tomatoes and it'll release some juices. Let sit for 5 minutes to incorporate, and eat. Shaved parmesan optional.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'd add salt, sweet basil and black pepper to that.

Here's a great pizza sauce recipe (requires a few more ingredients though), for 4 servings:

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon poppyseed oil
  • 1 tablespoon of clarified butter
  • ¼ tablespoon of butter
  • 1/4 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup garden orache, chopped (leaves)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 6oz/2,4dl tomato sauce
  • 2oz/0,5dl tomatilloes, chopped
  • 6oz/1,7dl tomato paste
  • 1½ oca tubers, chopped
  • Sun-dried tomatoes, powdered
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped basil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How you do it

1. In a large skillet, mix the oil with the clarified butter and butter. Heat until melted. Add the onion, celery, garden orache and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.

2. Add tomato sauce, tomatilloes and tomato paste and stir until smooth.

3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.

4. Let it simmer until the sauce has the smoothness of your choice. Or at least until all the ingredients have become soft and integrated.

5. Use it on your dough.

n0n44m

I make my sauce from a can of peeled Italian tomatoes I get at the supermarket (fresh tomatoes here in the Netherlands are usually from a greenhouse and pretty tasteless...)

Just blend the peeled tomatoes with a bit of salt and a dash of olive oil mixed in. (Instead of blending you can also crush them by hand if you like some more texture in your sauce!).

You could add a little bit of sugar to emphasize the acidity if the tomatoes taste too bland, but that is usually only necessary if they're out of season.

I then sprinkle dried Oregano on the pizza after spreading out the sauce (so before the other toppings), and sometimes a little dried chili flakes to spice things up.

then you make a nice Margherita like I did last night and eat it with some rucola salad on top ;)

I also made a pretty huge burger last week I just have to share

home made bun :) toasted with some butter, 300g patty, sautéed onions, "American" cheese, tomato slices, pickle slices and a ketchup-mayo-1Kislands-mix-sauce

Patty has some Worcestershire sauce, dash of olive oil, dash of kecap asin (soy sauce), garlic powder, black pepper and chili pepper mixed in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom