• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What do you mean by reliability? Some brands and models are "better" than others but it just depends on the situation.
The water around here is really, really bad. Quicklime builds up fast, which can lead to problems with certain faucets and showers. I've been told that shower-style faucets can be prone to issues when used with hard water, but I wanted a second opinion.

n0n44m

The water around here is really, really bad. Quicklime builds up fast, which can lead to problems with certain faucets and showers. I've been told that shower-style faucets can be prone to issues when used with hard water, but I wanted a second opinion.

We've also got very hard water in this part of the country, but that faucet lasted for ~12 years and broke at the mixer actually (started seeping water slowly)

besides you can clean the quicklime buildup by packing the faucet with some (paper) towels drenched in cleaning vinegar

yamo

Now time for some input from you guys. I'm in the works of starting my own blog on cakes/desserts. But I have a hard time coming up with a good name:
1. Has to be relevant to the subject (Nice Cakes [makes it easier to get traffic])
2. Has to have a unique name (Not 'Nice Cakes'...)
3. Has to have a clever pun/meaning/idea behind the name (This is not a Cake [hurr durr]).

- Shhh... only cakes now.
- The wonderful 101 cakes (can you get more views than Kamiya get sales?)
- Cakes on a plane
- Ye olde cake blog
- Cake on me (have a midi version of Take on Me by A-ha on repeat when visting the blog)

... and you have to add the recipe to that Chocolate Marsbar Mousse Cake on the blog!

- Shhh... only cakes now.
- The wonderful 101 cakes (can you get more views than Kamiya get sales?)
- Cakes on a plane
- Ye olde cake blog
- Cake on me (have a midi version of Take on Me by A-ha on repeat when visting the blog)

... and you ned to add the recipe to that Chocolate Marsbar Mousse Cake on the blog!
I actually thought of 'Cakes on a Blog' before discarding the idea, it's very straight to the point though :p

How about 'The last cake is in the oven, the galaxy is at peace'?... damn, too long!

My last name is Raven, I've also thinking about using that in the title: The baking Raven, Cakes from a Raven...

Or what about this one I just came up with: Every day is Cake day...

I could also relate the title to the fact that I'll be starting my blog at the same time as I'll be starting my pastry education. Perhaps: Pastry Adventures (I actually really like this one, simple but filled with meaning, and after all I'll be making other stuff than just cakes)

What about "Raven and Ramekin" or "Raven and Rosette"? Quick google search doesn't seem to come up with too many matches. Could make for some interesting visuals for logos and such. Maybe change the "and" to "+" or "&" instead.

EDIT - Speaking of mascots. What's your dog's name?

What about "Raven and Ramekin" or "Raven and Rosette"? Quick google search doesn't seem to come up with too many matches. Could make for some interesting visuals for logos and such. Maybe change the "and" to "+" or "&" instead.

EDIT - Speaking of mascots. What's your dog's name?
Hmm alliteriation is not that bad an idea, as Exodu5 said most puns are probably taken. My dog's name is Shikko, which will be 'part' of the blog as he has been here at IronGaf.

An ingredient I use a lot is Raspberries, but naming the blog The Raspberry Raven doesn't exactly make that much sense to most people. I really like 'Raven and Ramekin/Rosette'.

Hmm alliteriation is not that bad an idea, as Exodu5 said most puns are probably taken. My dog's name is Shikko, which will be 'part' of the blog as he has been here at IronGaf.

An ingredient I use a lot is Raspberries, but naming the blog The Raspberry Raven doesn't exactly make that much sense to most people. I really like 'Raven and Ramekin/Rosette'.

The 'Rasping Raven' has a sort of gothic charm, I suppose. Or "Desserts Evermore" to play on Edgar Allen Poe.

How about ThePastryRaven? I guess it can be misread as ThePastyRaven which is something different haha.

RavenPastries (could also be used later if you start a business!)
RavenCakes?

I tried my hand at making almond butter yesterday. It was actually really easy if you have a cuisinart and much cheaper now that almond butter seems to have gotten a price hike at the market.

Had some on top of banana muffins with my breakfast.

The 'Rasping Raven' has a sort of gothic charm, I suppose. Or "Desserts Evermore" to play on Edgar Allen Poe.
Rasping Raven sounds awesome, and got a double meaning, and relates to my name. Awesome! It's either this one or,

How about ThePastryRaven/RavenPastries
Which is more straight to the point, info on what the blog is about and still my name attached.

Thanks for the input guys!

And almond butter, banana muffins and figs for breakfast. You are the queen of breakfasts nakedsushi

Anybody try something like this before?

1098539_10151536233151621_2033708136_n.jpg

I'm curious to give it a shot. Seems quick, easy, healthy, and (maybe) tasty?

Any rough idea of a time/temp to cook it at? Maybe 350 for 10 minutes?

Leeness

Grrrrrrr why do my pies always turn out terrible? :(

I made a blackberry pie tonight, put in like 1/4cup of corn starch and the stupid thing still came out a blackberry soup.

I hate pies lol.

Grrrrrrr why do my pies always turn out terrible? :(

I made a blackberry pie tonight, put in like 1/4cup of corn starch and the stupid thing still came out a blackberry soup.

I hate pies lol.

Your filling isn't reaching temperature so the corn starch isn't doing it's thing. Make sure your blackberries are at room temp. Also if your oven isn't calibrated it can mess with cook time.

Leeness

Was it lumpy?

No, just soupy.

Your filling isn't reaching temperature so the corn starch isn't doing it's thing. Make sure your blackberries are at room temp. Also if your oven isn't calibrated it can mess with cook time.

Had it in there for 40 minutes at 350...I guess even longer next time. :(

My oven should be fine though. I can bake awesome everything else. It's just pies that are always garbage lol.

No, just soupy.

Had it in there for 40 minutes at 350...I guess even longer next time. :(

My oven should be fine though. I can bake awesome everything else. It's just pies that are always garbage lol.
I recently posted a Blueberry pie post:

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (August)

Blueberry Pie

blueberrypie1.jpg

blueberrypie2.jpg

Mmm. Made my first blueberry pie last night, and finally made a pie where the crust came out right. Now I haven’t made that many, but for some reason my traditional pie dough is never quite right, often way too dry compared to recipes. Then I either underbake or burn the edges, so I tend to make cracker-based crusts instead. But this time I used way more water in the dough than the recipe said, and it became much more smooth and firm.
The blueberry filling also went better than I had expected, I used a recipe with cornflour which binds the juice so you don’t end up with a weaping pie. Overall I would prefer if the taste had just a bit more punch, but that’s how blueberries are afterall. And although there’s some lemon in the filling I wouldn’t want to use more of it as it would take over the taste instead. So make sure you use some great tasting blueberries.

Blueberrypie filling
(fills 25cm pie)

500 g Fresh blueberries
100 g sugar
25 g Cornflour
Juice from half a lemon
Zest from 1 lemon

Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl. Fill your prepared pie with the filling and place the pie lid on top. Slice three slits so that the steam from the filling can escape. Bake at 170celsius for 45 minutes or when you see the filling bubbling through the slits. Cool before consuming.

blueberrypie3.jpg

I think I gave it 50 mins, and it came out just perfect. However pies with berries are much more trickier compared to pies with natural thickening filling (Condensed Milk, yolks, juice puree, etc.). And especially blackberries can be tricky in anything baking, because the amount of water they hold can vary a lot, meaning you have to adjust recipes based on your guts. But a general rule to make sure that it's gotten enough time in the oven is that you see the filling bubbling through.

Today was my last day at work so of course I had to bake some cakes in appreciation for my co-workers. I've writtin 'Tak' on both cakes which simply means Thanks in Danish

workcake1.jpg

workcake2.jpg

workcake3.jpg

workcake4.jpg

workcake5.jpg

Both cakes are small variations on cakes that I've done recently, so they were pretty easy to make. Pink one is chocolate cake layers coated in raspberry swiss meringue buttercream, and the square cake is lime jelly, lime mousse, nectarine mousse and raspberry meringue fused with peanuts, pistachio nuts and freeze-dried blueberries. They were a bitch to transport on my bicycle this morning!

Leeness

I recently posted a Blueberry pie post:

I think I gave it 50 mins, and it came out just perfect. However pies with berries are much more trickier compared to pies with natural thickening filling (Condensed Milk, yolks, juice puree, etc.). And especially blackberries can be tricky in anything baking, because the amount of water they hold can vary a lot, meaning you have to adjust recipes based on your guts. But a general rule to make sure that it's gotten enough time in the oven is that you see the filling bubbling through.

Yeah, I was loosely going off your post, but I guess I just gotta bake the hell out of it next time. Haha.

Nice cakes! :)

Yes Boss!

Trying to get back to eating spinach I found this recipe online for Palak Chana. So basically spinach and chana dal. I had to do some slight modifications since I cook a bit differently than her. I pressure cooked the dal then added fresh baby spinach and cooked another ten minutes with the lid off. I also don't really cook with ground garam masala but I bought a big bag so now I've gotta start finding some recipes that take it.

null_zps0bc3c1fe.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Cross-post from BBQ-GAF

pics from today's smoke...

One rack dry, one sauced on the right (beans/bacon and sausage underneath)
SA8xOMLl.jpg

Cross section so you can see the smoke ring
edDKMCIl.jpg

Smoked beans with bacon on top
SakZDCll.jpg

Platter of ribs and smoked hot italian sausage links
HUhHN2tl.jpg

dec53684-cd4b-49cc-815a-a8f345f1afbf.jpg

Some butter chicken or chicken makhani or whatever it's called >_> with pistachio quinao and cucumber.

That awful plating
I was hungry.

ad66978e-fea8-4cda-a67f-204e9ed8f482.jpg

Some ramen I made for my mom and brother for their birthday. It was spicy chicken veggie shio (salt) broth with fancy soft boiled eggs that soaked in a mirin, soy, sugar, dashi blend (I forget what all this is called -_-). Even though I made the pork chashu...I didn't care too much for it, it didn't have enough glaze

9Kqg6oH.jpg

Nice newcomers of sorts!

Meat: Pinot Grigio Salami Been ages since I had anything that I had to take a casing off of, but this was nicely done stuff that doesn't lose to the Red Wine counterpart I last had ages ago before they vanished from the rotation at the local Ingles.

Cheese: Great Midwest Bruschetta Jack Every once in awhile, Sam's Club will actually have something new that looks to be worth trying---this one succeeds in spades as far as giant blocks of cheese for little money goes. Smells great with all the garlic, basil, and herbs...melts fantastically as most jack cheeses tend to, and unsurprisingly tasted excellent to match.

tilde

Neo Member
Fig pizza with caramelized onions, prosciutto, goat cheese and mozzarella
ljVzizLl.jpg

Regular pizza with left over prosciutto and some fresh cut basil on top
5iNUxi8l.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Such a winning page, I almost have tears in my eyes :_D

Chocolate Cookies

And hey, why not use some of that swiss meringue buttercream from the other day?

chocolatecookies1.jpg

chocolatecookies2.jpg

They were good, but I made the mistake of making them just before dinner. So as I had them cooling down while making dinner, I got really hungry and ate one. Empty stomach meant instant sugar rush and I actually got a bite dizzy... Worked much better later after having eaten actual food.

Leeness

Hey Metroid, I tried a blueberry pie yesterday and kept it in the oven for about 50 minutes, and it turned out great this time :)

Thanks!

Dom Brunt

Chocolate Cookies

And hey, why not use some of that swiss meringue buttercream from the other day?

chocolatecookies1.jpg

chocolatecookies2.jpg

They were good, but I made the mistake of making them just before dinner. So as I had them cooling down while making dinner, I got really hungry and ate one. Empty stomach meant instant sugar rush and I actually got a bite dizzy... Worked much better later after having eaten actual food.

I'm not a huge cookie person but dammit Metroid those look delicious! They're so shiny, like brownies. Why are they so shiny anyway, a special method or ingredient?

I'm not a huge cookie person but dammit Metroid those look delicious! They're so shiny, like brownies. Why are they so shiny anyway, a special method or ingredient?
I have no idea actually, I'm also not a cookie person. Though the recipe calls for a huge amount of chocolate, perhaps it's that... The recipe does call for them to turn out shiny, so there's defintely been a thought behind.

Edit: Hmm tried to search around the web, and a few places they mentioned that the eggs were the key for the shiny surface, but no details...

n0n44m

gotta love pizza for the ability to throw everything on that has been lying in the fridge for too long

Mozzerella, green bell pepper, onions, ham, Gorgonzola, Brie & some (locally made) Chorizo style sausage

(also I spent the whole afternoon cleaning the oven so I can look through the window for the first time in years ...)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, I have some tomatoes and basil from the garden and want to make some fresh pasta sauce this weekend. Can someone recommend me a recipe that's fairly easy? I plan to add some Italian sausage to it and garlic, etc.

Thanks

Dom Brunt

I have no idea actually, I'm also not a cookie person. Though the recipe calls for a huge amount of chocolate, perhaps it's that... The recipe does call for them to turn out shiny, so there's defintely been a thought behind.

Edit: Hmm tried to search around the web, and a few places they mentioned that the eggs were the key for the shiny surface, but no details...

Okay cool, I'll look into that if I'm ever in the mood for chocolate cookies (and get to use a kitchen since now I only get that chance during the weekends so not a lot of baking going on for me anymore).

Alright, I have some tomatoes and basil from the garden and want to make some fresh pasta sauce this weekend. Can someone recommend me a recipe that's fairly easy? I plan to add some Italian sausage to it and garlic, etc.

Not much to a great sauce. Saute garlic and finely diced onions in olive oil for a bit to get them soft, de-seed and chop tomatoes, salt, black pepper, a little sugar if you like it that way, oregano similarly. Cook down until the tomatoes have broken up to desired consistency. Add ribboned basil late in the process so it loses its stiffness but doesn't become entirely limp. I don't eat meat but I imagine for sausage you want to add it early in the saute and sweat off some of that fat for flavor and unctiousness and let it stew in the tomatoes.

Bonus points: roast pine nuts and serve as garnish.

thespot84

Not much to a great sauce. Saute garlic and finely diced onions in olive oil for a bit to get them soft, de-seed and chop tomatoes, salt, black pepper, a little sugar if you like it that way, oregano similarly. Cook down until the tomatoes have broken up to desired consistency. Add ribboned basil late in the process so it loses its stiffness but doesn't become entirely limp. I don't eat meat but I imagine for sausage you want to add it early in the saute and sweat off some of that fat for flavor and unctiousness and let it stew in the tomatoes.

What is this magical word

I bring you the 'I Hate my Job' Burger.
Home made patty comprising of with ground beef, Jalapenos, Onions, Chipotle Tabasco, and strong Paprika.
The patty rests on a nice Bun smothered with Mayonnaise and Red Leicester Cheese, topped with an egg (which unfortunately exploded upon impact) and a splash of Guinness HP Sauce.

BrgWYHYl.jpg

ZL0TgVzl.jpg

GqXVVbrl.jpg

I still hate my job, but my mouth tastes AWESOME

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. My biggest worry was getting the tomatoes to break down to a saucy consistency. I plan to throw some Parmesan on afterwards too.

CrankyJay

Banned
I bring you the 'I Hate my Job' Burger.
Home made patty comprising of with ground beef, Jalapenos, Onions, Chipotle Tabasco, and strong Paprika.
The patty rests on a nice Bun smothered with Mayonnaise and Red Leicester Cheese, topped with an egg (which unfortunately exploded upon impact) and a splash of Guinness HP Sauce.

BrgWYHYl.jpg

ZL0TgVzl.jpg

GqXVVbrl.jpg

I still hate my job, but my mouth tastes AWESOME

Looks awesome. Cooking the egg to medium would have made that pretty godly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom