• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pictures of our eats in Barcelona:

Sangria at Mirilla where we had dinner three times during our nine day stay. Great food, great drinks, great service, great overall atmosphere. They have a small menu of about ten main dishes with three additional plates that change daily. I don't have pictures of our first night there when we ordered just about everything and still had seconds because it was so goddamn delicious. Sauteed prawns with garlic and white wine, perfectly cooked steak, a huge plate of iberian ham, grilled goat cheese with tomato jam, vegetable risotto, catalan creme...

oRf1Toxl.jpg

Steak and prawns:

MFzEmw9l.jpg

Bocadillos at Conesa. What makes these such a delight is that the grills are only wiped and never cleaned with any kind of detergent which gives the meat and the bread an indescribably smokey taste.

A tiny croissant for breakfast in L'Amettla, a smallish fishing village south of Barcelona.

Wagyu Ribeye at the Boqueria Market. I treated myself to a cup of chorizo and fuet.

Some kind of cured Iberian pork from the Santa Catherina market.

Grilled sweetbreads in Figueres after an exhausting visit to the Dali museum.

Gonna start saving up for a big boy chef knife. The little Calphalon I have has done well, but I'm gonna need something which performs at a higher level. Looking at a Goko 240mm gyuto, that would be great. I don't really need a deba at this point because we don't break down fish every day at work, but I need finer steel that holds a better edge than my current piece.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks for the pizza sauce tips. Going to give it a shot tonight. I bought Italian hard sausage slices and fresh mozzarella for toppings along with mushrooms and a shallot. Have some basil from my basil plant too.

Will post pics!

Hm, turkey dumplings? I've never had turkey in dumplings, but it sounds good!

I made a quick lunch out of pickings from my garden. Shredded zucchini stir fried with slices of okra, garlic, aleppo pepper, ground sumac, and topped with a boiled egg.

Hm, turkey dumplings? I've never had turkey in dumplings, but it sounds good!

I made a quick lunch out of pickings from my garden. Shredded zucchini stir fried with slices of okra, garlic, aleppo pepper, ground sumac, and topped with a boiled egg.

Yeah it's really good

So a few months ago my ex-girlfriend wanted to make a cooking channel on Youtube. I made a rough cut of her acting out with her friend and we kinda put it on hold (Probably cause of the bad acting)

We broke up but I really liked the footage that I shot of the food so I made this.

Thoughts? Is it too hard to follow? I'm sort of thinking of running with the idea. One because I like cooking and video and two because I want to crush my ex.

IceCold

Chourico and Linguica are damn fine alongside Spanish Chorizo---the Mexican variety is the only one I've never had.

Iberian domination as usual on the cured front, in other words.

How different is chourico from chorizo? I've only ever tried chourico and fuckin love it. My mother has a friend that makes them himself and they are epic - super good when grilled with some bread. It's also amazing with caldo verde soup. Fuck I'm getting hungry now...

Yeah it's really good

So a few months ago my ex-girlfriend wanted to make a cooking channel on Youtube. I made a rough cut of her acting out with her friend and we kinda put it on hold (Probably cause of the bad acting)

We broke up but I really liked the footage that I shot of the food so I made this.

Thoughts? Is it too hard to follow? I'm sort of thinking of running with the idea. One because I like cooking and video and two because I want to crush my ex.

That sounds like the plot of a movie. Can I get the rights for it?

Also, cool video.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Nice video, tofu!

One thing that always seemed backwards to me was searing off the dumplings before steaming them. When I've made dumplings in the past, I tend to do it the other way around because I like a nice crispy side on them.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Anybody try something like this before?

1098539_10151536233151621_2033708136_n.jpg

I'm curious to give it a shot. Seems quick, easy, healthy, and (maybe) tasty?

^--- I've done that with just an avocado and an egg before. It sounded like a good idea, but was more effort than it was worth. I have pretty small eggs and even then, I had to scoop out a lot of avocado to make room for the egg. I much prefer a soft-boiled egg and avocado on the side. For some reason, baking avocado makes it taste weird to me sometimes. Also, it's tricky getting the yolk JUST right so it's not too hard and overdone, but not completely raw.

Nice video, tofu!

One thing that always seemed backwards to me was searing off the dumplings before steaming them. When I've made dumplings in the past, I tend to do it the other way around because I like a nice crispy side on them.

Hm, yeah I'm not sure I kinda just jacked the recipe from my ex.

The turkey/scallion/spinach/sesame oil is a better combo than the thanksgiving video one btw. I'm not sure why she wanted to make it weird

I made some of the dumplings and let my friend have some. He told me it was the best dumplings he's ever had and I replied "Yeah and I only had to be in a relationship for almost three years!"

Ba dim tish

The best place to start with British recipes is Delia Smith, she has been teaching us how to cook for decades:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/plain-scones.html (she has variations on her site, if plain scones aren't what you are looking for).

Does anyone know what is the best way to freeze Basil? I live in a house in which I'm the only one who likes it, & I am sick of throwing away most of the bunches I buy.

No idea, but today I learned that there are in existence people who do not like basil.

Easy_G

The best place to start with British recipes is Delia Smith, she has been teaching us how to cook for decades:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/plain-scones.html (she has variations on her site, if plain scones aren't what you are looking for).

Does anyone know what is the best way to freeze Basil? I live in a house in which I'm the only one who likes it, & I am sick of throwing away most of the bunches I buy.

I don't know about freezing the basil by itself, but you can make a pesto sauce and freeze that for use later. Some recipes recommend freezing without cheese and only adding it when you use it, but I'm not exactly sure.

Using an ice cube tray to portion the frozen pesto is nice so you don't have to defrost an entire block when you want only a little.

http://www.theyummylife.com/How_to_make_Pesto

Seriously best thing I ever did in terms of herbs: buy and grow your own. There's never any waste. Super easy to maintain. WAY cheaper than buying bunches from the supermarket.

I just got a dehydrator so I may try throwing some herbs in there too. As a kid we used to tie and hang them upside down to dry. Still prefer to keep a living plant though.

DSC07836.JPG

Speaking of the dehydrator I made a big batch of jerky. Been munching on it all day. Stuff is like crack.
94k2.jpg

Also, it's tricky getting the yolk JUST right so it's not too hard and overdone, but not completely raw.

Did you see the episode of "Mind of a Chef" where Chang goes to Cataolina and talks to the guys about cooking eggs in a tightly controlled immersion bath? They're all up on Netflix now, it's inconsistent but generally entertaining.

I don't know about freezing the basil by itself, but you can make a pesto sauce and freeze that for use later. Some recipes recommend freezing without cheese and only adding it when you use it, but I'm not exactly sure.

Using an ice cube tray to portion the frozen pesto is nice so you don't have to defrost an entire block when you want only a little.

Yup, this is what we do with all of our extra basil. Although my daughters destroy it at such a prodigious rate it doesn't sit too long.

I haven't been posting the last handful of days because I've been busy with a project as well as taking the weekend off and relax at my parents summerhouse.

The busy project was a wedding cake!! A colleague at work asked me if I wanted to make a wedding cake for somebody she knew, that knew someone who owned a restaurent which needed a wedding cake saturday... Erm sure, I was planning to go to my parents summerhouse though, but this would be good training I guess, never made a wedding cake. It turns out that the restaurant is located pretty close to my parents summerhouse(which is several hours from my house and work...).

So I made this cake for a wedding party of 25 people:

weddingcake1.jpg

weddingcake2.jpg

Bottom: 4 chocolate cake layers, coated with raspberry swiss meringue buttercream
Top: 3 ginger cake layers, coated with lime swiss meringue buttercream
Decoration: Freeze-dried and fresh raspberries. Candied lime. Chocolate writing.
Hours of work: ~7 (could easily have cut ~2 hours, but I felt I needed to do some stuff 101% which ate up a lot of time)

So I got the info wednesday at work, said yes, and brainstormed the rest of the day. Then Thursday after work I shopped ingredients and baked the entire evening(and night ;_; went to bed at 4am..., had to get up 6am... ;_; ). Finished the cake completely Friday after work and drove to the summerhouse. Took the ferry to the restaurant Saturday morning and dropped off the cake at the restaurant. The first the thing the owner said when we got inside the restaurent is 'where should the cake stand?'. Erm I don't know, it's like your restaurant, I've only had my eyes on the room for 3 seconds... Then when I packed out the cake, I asked if he has a big plate of some sort to present the cake on... nope, nothing, so I ended up leaving the cake on the parchment paper and platic plate I was planning to throw out anyway(Had it been my place, it would had been a sin to present a wedding cake on parchment paper goddamnit, but not my problem). He then asked if I have a knife to cut the cake with... Erm no, you can like, just use one of your own sharp knifes, you do have knifes, right? Ok he said and handed over my money. No comments on the cake, but would contact me again if he ever needed a cake again. Nothing wrong with him, but it was clear that he was running a restaurant and had bigger things to tend to than this object that was a cake.

It was a fun experience to have a look at the professional world.

Here's the crumb coat which is to preserve all crumbs in place before applying the final layer of buttercream which is to be free of any crumbs ruining the presentation.
weddingcake5.jpg

How exactly do you transport a 2 stories high cake and more than 12 inch wide? Which was to be transported on a ferry as well(didn't know wether you could go inside onboard the ferry, luckily you could). But ended up using this huge plastic bucket that happened to cover the cake just perfect. Cooling elements on the side just to be sure.

weddingcake6.jpg

Macro pron shots

weddingcake3.jpg

weddingcake4.jpg

Was really proud of the end result, the only downside was that I didn't get to have a bite myself, also it felt weird to never see a cross section of the cake.

This might sound pathetic but I have only just started learning to cook, im so bad I literally couldn't use anything other than a microwave. Over the past week I can now use a Grill/ Oven/ Frying Pan but I couldn't tell you why I would be choosing to fry over grilling. Is there a easy set of pro's and con's to each type of cooking? Right now I am just doing what the recipe tells me! I really don't see why an Oven or a Grill would produce different results.

I can now do simple stuff like Stir Frys, any advice to a total beginner as to what stuff I should learn? I want to learn a variety of simple personal meals as I am sick of living on microwave stuff!

This might sound pathetic but I have only just started learning to cook, im so bad I literally couldn't use anything other than a microwave. Over the past week I can now use a Grill/ Oven/ Frying Pan but I couldn't tell you why I would be choosing to fry over grilling. Is there a easy set of pro's and con's to each type of cooking? Right now I am just doing what the recipe tells me! I really don't see why an Oven or a Grill would produce different results.

I can now do simple stuff like Stir Frys, any advice to a total beginner as to what stuff I should learn? I want to learn a variety of simple personal meals as I am sick of living on microwave stuff!
Congrats on entering a world of better and healthier food.

On grill/oven: With a grill you often get more flavour added to your food due to the charcoal/smoke/flames. When grilling you also cook with a very high temperature and you cook it dry(there's no liquid around the meat), which means that when it comes to meat it's often best to use tender meat and the use of a marinade to keep the meat moist. Then there's the whole thing of grilling outside/having a good time/smoke in your eyes/having to clean your grill after use/not so fun in rainy weather.
An ovens strength is that you can control the exact temperature due to modern science, which means it's much easier to make a larger variety of food.

As for general advice. What are some types of meals you like? Have a go at them, then another go and one more and suddenly you are in control of it. Stir frys are excellent as you don't have to stay 1:1 with recipes.
Buy the right equipment. Don't buy a lot of special tools that only have narrow uses, but go after good universal stuff.
Other than that, just cook, cook and cook and pay close attention when you mess up to avoid it a second time.

How different is chourico from chorizo? I've only ever tried chourico and fuckin love it. My mother has a friend that makes them himself and they are epic - super good when grilled with some bread. It's also amazing with caldo verde soup. Fuck I'm getting hungry now...

Bah, missed this!

It varies, but generally chorizo is a bit milder and perhaps a bit oilier when cooked up versus chourico being firmer.

Easy_G

So I decided to make pizza tonight, but I've got no clue what to put on it. I managed to buy mozzarella, tomatoes, anchovies, arugula, and a potato. Doesn't sound very good!

Any ideas for pizza toppings? I plan to go to the store again and just need some type of inspiration. I tend to do mozzarella, arugula, and prosciutto a lot, but I want to try something different.

Easy_G

It's kind of hard to give a simple pro/con about each style of cooking. It's more dependent on what exactly you want to make. With that in mind I've found the best bet is to come up with something you want to cook and search for recipes then give it a shot.

Here are some ideas of what to try:

Oven: Roast chicken. There are a number of recipes online, but just keep it SIMPLE. If a whole chicken is too much I will often buy a chicken quarter (sometimes advertised as a chicken leg, it has the drumstick plus some hind-quarters attached). Preheat oven to 375F, very lightly run some olive oil on the chicken, and generously season with salt. Cut up some carrots, onions and potatoes and put them in a baking dish. Put the chicken in the center of the dish and then place it in the oven. One kitchen gadget that is worth getting is a thermometer (like this) so that you can be sure it is cooked through. Otherwise I just cook until the skin is golden brown and CRISPY. I'll sometimes take the time to use my fingers to partially separate the skin from the meat and put some herbs under the skin which helps it crisp up, but for now don't even worry about that. Here's is a world class chef making roast chicken so you can see how easy it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4 (don't worry too much about the butchery he does in the beginning, it'll work without it)

Pan: Try cooking some vegetables like asparagus in a pan. Trim the asparagus and put a little butter and olive oil in the pan over a medium heat. Once hot put the asparagus in and let them cook until they blacken just slightly, turning every minute or so, for anywhere from 4-8 minutes. Sprinkle with salt/pepper and some lemon juice once you remove them from the pan.

Pot: Soups are actually very easy. Just made leek and potato soup recently which honestly consists of very few steps. In a large pot cook chopped leaks with butter, add potatoes and chicken broth and then simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt/pepper and any herbs you want. If you have a blender, food processor, or immersion blender, use that to puree until creamy. If not, enjoy a chunky soup! Here's a good simple recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/potato_leek_soup/

And I'd say one of the best to learn is how to cook eggs because they can be cooked in a huge number of ways. For breakfast on the weekends try a new method each time.

Pan fried (with butter and uncovered for a fried style, covered with a dash of water for a steamed style)
Over easy
Soft boiled
Hard boiled
Scrambled (which alone has a million styles)
Omelet
In pancake batter
As the key ingredient in french toast

So I decided to make pizza tonight, but I've got no clue what to put on it. I managed to buy mozzarella, tomatoes, anchovies, arugula, and a potato. Doesn't sound very good!

Any ideas for pizza toppings? I plan to go to the store again and just need some type of inspiration. I tend to do mozzarella, arugula, and prosciutto a lot, but I want to try something different.

Potato and mozzarella pizza sounds pretty damn good actually. You can add the arugula on top.
potato-pizza-2.jpg

A simple margherita pizza (mozzarella, tomatoes and basil) is always really good.
Fresh-Mozzarella-and-Tomato-Pizza.jpg

OH. Do you have any eggs?
pesto-pizza-640x439.jpg

I don't know about the US but here in Austria most grocery stores sell marrow bones at the meat counter. I figure a butcher's shop is a sure bet. I usually buy medium sized bones (~5cm in height) and roast them at 230C until the top gets crispy. You don't want to overcook them because the marrow will melt away eventually. When they're done just spoon the marrow out and spread it on a toasted slice of bread.

deim0s

I don't know about the US but here in Austria most grocery stores sell marrow bones at the meat counter. I figure a butcher's shop is a sure bet. I usually buy medium sized bones (~5cm in height) and roast them at 230C until the top gets crispy. You don't want to overcook them because the marrow will melt away eventually. When they're done just spoon the marrow out and spread it on a toasted slice of bread.

And be ready to call your doctor.
So delicious.

http://www.theyummylife.com/How_to_make_Pesto

Seriously best thing I ever did in terms of herbs: buy and grow your own. There's never any waste. Super easy to maintain. WAY cheaper than buying bunches from the supermarket.

Thanks for the advice, I ended up making a batch of marinara sauce & freezing it so it all got used up. I have started growing some herbs(Mint & Coriander) but I haven't got around to things like basil yet(I really want to grow some Oregano first, as I rarely see fresh Oregano in shops near me).

Thanks for the advice, I ended up making a batch of marinara sauce & freezing it so it all got used up. I have started growing some herbs(Mint & Coriander) but I haven't got around to things like basil yet(I really want to grow some Oregano first, as I rarely see fresh Oregano in shops near me).

Mint is easy, but coriander is trickier to grow because once you cut it, it doesn't grow back, so you have to keep seeding it. With things like mint and basil, the more you cut, the more that grows back.

Speaking of growing herbs, my basil plant was getting a little crazy and my tomatoes were finally getting red, so I harvested a few from each and made a simple tomato-based pasta with tomato, basil, garlic, and thyme.

CRS

Caprice salad: heirloom tomatoes (from the garden), fresh mozzarella, and a roasted almond basil pesto

BLT sandwich: smoked pork belly, romaine lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, spicy aioli spread, on whole wheat bread

Like nakedsushi said Coriander/Cilantro doesn't re-grow it's leaves. It will start to put out flower stalks, then little white flowers and then seeds. As the flower stalks matures the abundance of coriander leaves will take a hit. Over time the whole plant will start to dry up.

With flower stalks and all the plant can grow to about a foot or two. Something to consider if you're growing on a counter or widow sill. You can cook and use the stalks as they still do contain flavor and scent but they may be a bit more tough and bitter. Supposedly if you cut the stalks before they mature, the coriander leaves will stay around longer, but you lose out on seeds.

n0n44m

IronGAF, hear my out: would you recommend a faucet with shower function for the kitchen?

Something like this:

Instead of this:

YES

we had #1 (but way more ugly), replaced it with #2 when it broke

though #2 looks better, the water just sprays everywhere anytime I try to quickly rinse something ... never had that issue with the shower function

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Actually, the second one is just a typical mixer without sprinkler, so it shouldn't spray anything (just a solid steam of water). I'm debating between one of those or one with a sprinkler/shower, but I'm not sure about their reliability (those things are not exactly cheap!).

a faucet with shower function would be a godsend for my kitchen... maybe in my next kitchen...

Made this for work today

Chocolate Marsbar Mousse Cake with Coffee Icing

chocolatemarsmoussecake1.jpg

chocolatemarsmoussecake2.jpg

Lovely flavour combination. The Marsbar mousse was really good at highlighting both the cake as well as the coffee flavours, as well as functioning great as a mousse on its own. Yum yum!

Now time for some input from you guys. I'm in the works of starting my own blog on cakes/desserts. But I have a hard time coming up with a good name:
1. Has to be relevant to the subject (Nice Cakes [makes it easier to get traffic])
2. Has to have a unique name (Not 'Nice Cakes'...)
3. Has to have a clever pun/meaning/idea behind the name (This is not a Cake [hurr durr]).

a faucet with shower function would be a godsend for my kitchen... maybe in my next kitchen...

Made this for work today

Chocolate Marsbar Mousse Cake with Coffee Icing

chocolatemarsmoussecake1.jpg

chocolatemarsmoussecake2.jpg

Lovely flavour combination. The Marsbar mousse was really good at highlighting both the cake as well as the coffee flavours, as well as functioning great as a mousse on its own. Yum yum!

Now time for some input from you guys. I'm in the works of starting my own blog on cakes/desserts. But I have a hard time coming up with a good name:
1. Has to be relevant to the subject (Nice Cakes [makes it easier to get traffic])
2. Has to have a unique name (Not 'Nice Cakes'...)
3. Has to have a clever pun/meaning/idea behind the name (This is not a Cake [hurr durr]).

Caking it Easy.

Actually, the second one is just a typical mixer without sprinkler, so it shouldn't spray anything (just a solid steam of water). I'm debating between one of those or one with a sprinkler/shower, but I'm not sure about their reliability (those things are not exactly cheap!).

What do you mean by reliability? Some brands and models are "better" than others but it just depends on the situation. Are you looking for something to use long term? If so investing in a quality faucet may be the way to go. If not, there are more cost efficient options. How much do you cook? What's your budget? What does the rest of the kitchen look like? Modern, transitional, traditional? For the second option you posted, what was it you didn't like about it: that it doesn't have a pull out spray or the gooseneck style? Polished chrome or brushed nickel? Pull-out single or dual spray (stream and "shower")? ...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom