• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

I had some really good food in the last weeks

1bti50.jpg

2n9ef4.jpg

3o0dqs.jpg

49bf32.jpg

5t9d75.jpg

6r5il5.jpg

774d5i.jpg

8m2f86.jpg

9owcm5.jpg

Somehow I ended up with thin lamb shoulder chops. Well, first time cooking them, let's see how it goes

Any suggestions? Should I try braising them or just normal grill?

TheExodu5

Banned
Trying to make a stew for the first time. I a beautiful cut of boneless shortribs at the store and couldn't resist.

So I did what I know with shortribs: braised in red wine and beef stock with a mirepoix. I was going to strain out the mirepoix and just put in some fresh veggies, but I cut the carrots and celery big enough that they're still holding up. I'm not sure if celery is weird in a stew though... In any case, it's been going for 5 hours and I've added in some small red potatoes in to finish. Hopefully it turns out.

edit: I guess celery is fine. Just never had it before. I guess what I need to do next time is just add the celery and carrots in a bit later to have them a bit firmer.

Zyzyxxz

Trying to make a stew for the first time. I a beautiful cut of boneless shortribs at the store and couldn't resist.

So I did what I know with shortribs: braised in red wine and beef stock with a mirepoix. I was going to strain out the mirepoix and just put in some fresh veggies, but I cut the carrots and celery big enough that they're still holding up. I'm not sure if celery is weird in a stew though... In any case, it's been going for 5 hours and I've added in some small red potatoes in to finish. Hopefully it turns out.

edit: I guess celery is fine. Just never had it before. I guess what I need to do next time is just add the celery and carrots in a bit later to have them a bit firmer.

I would do a very fine/small mirepoix and put it in from the beginning next time so that when it cooks down it will break down and thicken the sauce, while have more vegetables to be added for the last 30-40 mins of cooking.

TheExodu5

Banned
I would do a very fine/small mirepoix and put it in from the beginning next time so that when it cooks down it will break down and thicken the sauce, while have more vegetables to be added for the last 30-40 mins of cooking.

Hmmm I'll definitely try that.

Anyways, here's the finished product.

p2PVr4J.jpg

Made my own burgers last night. The buns especially were amazing, but also the patties were great. First time making them so flat(stored in freezer before cooking), and juicy(used carrot in the mince).

burger1.jpg

burger2.jpg

burger3.jpg

n0n44m

Hah, at first I thought I messed up because the buns weren't as rich as a regular brioche is, but the mild richness complemented the burger very well. Would definitely recommend n0n44m's recipe. It was delicious.

Turned out my butcher had some nice, thick mince so the burger patties came out nice. Put in cayenne pepper and chili oil because I like it spicy. Topped it off with some pickled jalapenos and cheese, on a bed of cos lettuce.

The burger were indeed huge but it was just right for me. :p Too big for the rest of my family though.

It was a fun recipe to tackle.

those came out great ! I should try some egg wash next time

Made my own burgers last night. The buns especially were amazing, but also the patties were great. First time making them so flat(stored in freezer before cooking), and juicy(used carrot in the mince).

and I need to get hold of some sesame seeds :)

"Healthy" Breakfast

FKBQknal.jpg

tY01UNRl.jpg

D1yvFnql.jpg

Giant Mushrooms stuffed with a mixture of Onions, Fresh basil, garlic, Jalapenos, smoked Pork Sausage and covered with some mozarella.

05P0baxl.jpg

wvZHVsrl.jpg

Rc833Hdl.jpg

eEKC2aol.jpg

hausaffe

Banned
this thread is killing me. so much nice meals + the recipes, especially the way the recipes are shown with all the steps, maybe not all are necessary, but you can see really well how most steps are executed and how it is supposed to look, a very nice guideline if you cook "freestyle" and do not stick so much on the numbers. of course you have to sometimes. i will contribute to this thread as soon as a possibility strikes my way. will take some time to go through this one.

ps. seeing "frankfurter grüne soße" on the first page made me smile, even i prepare it differently.

My Bomba Meat Pie. Home made meat sauce encased in Bread Dough and covered with mozarella, Leicester cheese, and onions.

dueKsYIl.jpg

AwDVlk2l.jpg

JR9EJ0Hl.jpg

BZV9tyIl.jpg

Penne with a Chestnut Mushroom and Basil Cream Sauce

M1z6iwnl.jpg

7Yc8j8Ll.jpg

Home Made sliders with Guinness Sauce and Parmigiano Cheese

I0KkpL5l.jpg

bnYDfmLl.jpg

vgOgs02l.jpg

cqWg6jGl.jpg

8a0mq6Ul.jpg

yKfvErLl.jpg

Milchjon

Decided making pork fluff was too much of a hassle.

So I took some tomato-based "steak" sauce, mixed it with some freshly squeezed orange juice and some chopped habaneros. Mixed with some cubed pork, cooked it in a pan for a while and then dried it in the oven.

Hot, caramelized pork candy!

Was surprisingly awesome considering I basically fudged around with a few ingredients without a clue where I wanted to end up.

Now I think I need to make beef jerky soon.

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (September)

Tonkatsu by Zyzyxxz

tonkatsu1.jpg

So on my recent trip to Japan I pretty much stuffed my suitcase full of food related stuff, so I could have a bite of Japan with me. One of the items was a fine tonkatsu sauce which was perfect as I had been planning to make tonkatsu for quite some time now. I've almost looked through the entire thread in search for interesting recipes for my 1 from IronGaf, and when I saw Zyzyxxz tonkatsu post, I knew I had to make that myself, one of my favorite Japanese dishes. On my trip I actually went to two restaurants serving only tonkatsu meals.
Making tonkatsu is pretty easy actually, overall I used a lot of time, but that was mainly because I prepared everything myself so that my gf had some time off. But once you have you breading line factory ready you'll have your tonkatsu done in minutes. The only problem I had was to evenly bread the pork cutlets especially in center, they still came out fine.
Missing Japan already :/

tonkatsu2.jpg

tonkatsu3.jpg

tonkatsu4.jpg

tonkatsu5.jpg

So on my recent trip to Japan I pretty much stuffed my suitcase full of food related stuff, so I could have a bite of Japan with me.
Loooove Japanese food. We make either tonkatsu (actually, usually chiken katsu since the wife doesn't eat pork) or CoCo Curry style curry (basically -katsu with a ton of Golden Curry style sauce) quite regularly. Also okonomiyaki a fair bit too.

Last summer I branched out into chilled soba which I absolutely loved on those 35c days we had. Brilliant and so much Japanese food is so easy to make.

I might've asked before, but I don't recall seeing an answer.

Anyone made Japanese curry from scratch? Today I was directed to use Vermont Curry over Golden Curry (which is what I've used in the past), but I really want to make a big batch from scratch and freeze it for easy weekday CoCo/Go Go-style curry.

Looking at these recipes to begin with:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/how-to-make-japanese-curry-rice-from-scratch-recipe.html
http://www.japanesefoodreport.com/2011/03/japanese-beef-curry-from-scrat.html

Anyone else already done the legwork?

I might've asked before, but I don't recall seeing an answer.

Anyone made Japanese curry from scratch? Today I was directed to use Vermont Curry over Golden Curry (which is what I've used in the past), but I really want to make a big batch from scratch and freeze it for easy weekday CoCo/Go Go-style curry.

Looking at these recipes to begin with:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/how-to-make-japanese-curry-rice-from-scratch-recipe.html
http://www.japanesefoodreport.com/2011/03/japanese-beef-curry-from-scrat.html

Anyone else already done the legwork?

I have and it's my default way of making curry b/c a lot of the boxed curries aren't vegan. It's not really that much more work to make from "scratch" (still use the S&B curry powder) than the boxed stuff and I like that you can control the flavor better. Sometimes I want it super spicy, and sometimes, I want it more sweet.

Those two recipes are a pretty good starting point. The main thing is the caramelize the crap out of the onions. Make sure they're good and dark brown. Then I put in the curry powder, stir till fragrant, then flour for the roux and some extra oil, stir some more, then add the liquid, bring to a boil, add everything else and simmer till everything is soft. Not sure if that's the legit way of doing it, but that's what I always do.

I never make it with meat, but I'm assuming you brown the meat first before adding it to the curry stew to finish cooking later?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does anyone here grind beans for their coffee? What kind of grinder do you use and how do you brew it?

I have a moka pot I used once or twice before and I thought it was fine, but I'm also interested in trying french press because I love kitchen gadgets.

TheExodu5

Banned
Does anyone here grind beans for their coffee? What kind of grinder do you use and how do you brew it?

I have a moka pot I used once or twice before and I thought it was fine, but I'm also interested in trying french press because I love kitchen gadgets.

I use a Baratza Virtuoso. Not cheap, though you can get one refurbished for around $150. Cheaper Baratzas will start at around $100 (cheaper for refurb). Someone else might be able to make a cheaper recommendation, but you definitely want to get a burr grinder if you're going with french press.

g209_machines_baratza_virtuoso-grinder-kit_304x304.jpg

As for brewing it, I do both Aeropress and French press. I've gotten really good with the Aeropress and I like that I can make a cup of coffee in just a few minutes without much mess. The French press is for when I need to brew a bigger batch.

Really the most important thing is sourcing good coffee, though. The best equipment in the world won't help you if you're brewing stale coffee. Try to find locally roasted coffee.

Vitella with Prosciutto Crudo, Mozzarella, and a balsamic reduction

YBvRxD0l.jpg

bWyciw3l.jpg

Puff Pastry Swirls with an onion, garlic, and sun dried tomato pesto, Ham, and Swiss Cheese.

uLxF9eIl.jpg

Jh1BIlLl.jpg

FphynYKl.jpg

QgmKTXJl.jpg

wwGI1MPl.jpg

WgTCSGml.jpg

Puff Pastry Treats with a Chestnut Mushroom, Onion, Parsley, and basil Pesto

EYB6mXWl.jpg

T4RxeCRl.jpg

I have and it's my default way of making curry b/c a lot of the boxed curries aren't vegan.
Awesome, thanks for the advice! Might see if some local Asian supermarkets have the powder (we live in the area of Australia with the highest proportion of Asian immigrants in the country, so it mustn't be hard to find!).

Since you make it vegan, what do you add to the curry? And I guess you make tofu katsu?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Decided to go hard for lunch.
Arugula, red onion and avocado salad with lemon mustard vinaigrette.
Sesame kaiser roll slices, plain.
Lamb chop seasoned with cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Some blend of pinot noir grapes, not my favorite grape variety but wine is wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom