• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after doing my lamb shoulder braising and it turning out to be delicious, I am looking for more braising meats. What does IronGAF suggest?

I am not the biggest fan of pork, but will try it too.

thespot84

So after doing my lamb shoulder braising and it turning out to be delicious, I am looking for more braising meats. What does IronGAF suggest?

I am not the biggest fan of pork, but will try it too.

pork shoulder (boston butt) done up in a slow cooker with bbq fixin's and pulled is super easy and super delicious.

All the hip chefs braise short ribs these days, though

TheExodu5

Banned
Braised short ribs are delicious. Braise it with a good stock, some wine, carrots/onions/celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Very standard, but very delicious.

Best friend's birthday was a couple days ago and I baked him this. Sadly he couldn't make a wish because he failed to find and eat the other six cakes.

1239589_10151909598710530_1889231371_n.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (September)

Melon Cream Popsicles

meloncreampopsicle1.jpg

meloncreampopsicle2.jpg

Something you discover while traveling Japan is the abundance of a certain flavour, melon, or more specifically melon cream. You'll find it in everything from pastry and bread to icecream, candy and soda. Actually the Gabu Nomi Melon Cream Soda has got to be my favorite soda on the planet, I always bring at least a pair home with me whenever I'm in Japan. Coincidentally melons are in season currently, so with a lot of fresh inspiration from Japan it's time to make some melon cream desserts.
These melon cream popsicles are made by using galia melon, but you can use whichever melon you prefer. The thing with galia melons is that they are very aromatic, reminding me a lot of the commercial flavour found in Japan, and their flesh is of a green hue, which fits my image of what melon cream products should look like. The popsicles have this great, almost chewy, consistency. They are hardly icy at all which is nice for a change when making homemade fruit popsicles.

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Yields 4 popsicles
1 galia melon (~300g flesh)
120 ml cream
2 tbsp Honey
Optional: 1-3 drops of melon aroma (depending on how aromatic the melons used are)

Directions

- Cook cream and honey in a small sauce pan. Once you reach the boiling point, turn Down the heat and stir for 3 minutes. Take off the heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- Discard the seeds from the melon and scrape out the flesh of the melon. Blend the flesh in a blender until it's smooth and creamy.
- Pour the blended melon into the cream and mix. Pour in forms and freeze.​

meloncreampopsicle3.jpg

Bavarian Melon Cream with Macaroons

bavarianmeloncream1.jpg

bavarianmeloncream2.jpg

Although making this cream can be a rather time consuming feat for just a cream, it's defintely worth the investment. It tastes so good and serving it in carved melon halves suddenly turns the it into an exotic dessert. Be sure to leave some flesh in the melon halves, so you can do some satisfying spoon-digging when eating the cream. Eating a cream alone can be a rather one-sided experience no matter how good the cream is, so adding a supplement with a bite is a good idea. In this case I made macaroons, not the popular fancy macaron that's all you see in pastry shop windows these days, but good ol' traditional almond macaroons like my grandmother made them. They might not be as colorful or open to creativity as the new macarons, but they are so easy to make that they almost make themselves. Then it's up to you wether to crumble them on top of the cream or eat them at the side.

bavarianmeloncream3.jpg

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Bavarian Melon Cream
4 servings or 3+ filled melon halves
400 ml cream
1 galia melon (~300g flesh)
6 sheets of gelatin
4 egg yolks
½ Vanilla bean
140 g sugar

Macaroons
Yields: 20 macaroons
125 g almond flour
3 drops almond extract
125 g sugar
1 eggwhite​

Directions
Bavarian Melon Cream
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and cook both the seeds and bean together with 200 ml cream in a pot. When it reaches the boiling point, take off heat and rest for 1 hour.
- Mix yolks and 40 g sugar until light and airy, around 3-5 minutes if mixing.
- Heat up the cream again and remove the vanilla bean. Add some of the cream to the yolks and stir, then add all of it back into the cream.
- Blend the melon flesh with 100 g sugar and add to the cream. Place the mixture over a hot waterbath and keep stirring until it reaches 80celsius and thickens. While Warming the mixture soak the gelatin sheets in a bowl of water.
- Then place the mixture in a Cold waterbath to lower the temperature. Add the gelatin sheets around 50celsius, then add the remaining 200 ml cream, whipped, once the mixture reaches below 30celsius.
- Pour the cream into the melon halves and cool in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Macaroons
- Preheat oven at 180celsius. Perpare a cookie sheet with parchement paper
- Add all ingridents together in a bowl and whisk until everything is incorporated. Shape into balls at the size of a small walnut.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until they turn golden.​

bavarianmeloncream4.jpg

bavarianmeloncream5.jpg

Melon Jelly

melonjelly1.jpg

melonjelly2.jpg

Jelly is always a fun and easy to make, but make sure to use a good ripe melon with a lot of taste to it otherwise you’ll end up with the feeling of eating water with melon flavor. A drop of melon aroma can save the taste if you have to make the jelly and the melon hasn’t ripened yet, but natural flavor is to be preferred obviously. If you plan to eat the jelly directly from the molds you can settle on using just 3 sheets of gelatin as that will be enough to jellify them, but use 4 if unmolding to make sure they are stable and to make it easier overall. Be careful not to soak the cups in hot water too long as it will melt the outer surface and you will have a liquid mess when turning them over. Depending on the container you use, it can take anywhere from two seconds to half a minute before the jelly lets go.

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Yields 3x100 ml jelly cups
½ galia melon (~150g flesh)
350 ml water
4 sheets of gelatin
1 tsp green food color
Optional: 1 drop of melon aroma (depending on how aromatic the melons used are)

Directions

- Soak the gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water while cooking the melon.
- Scrape out the melon flesh. and cook in water in a small saucepan. Save a few small pieces of melon and place them in the jelly cups. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the mushy mushy melon through a sieve. Add food color if you desire a deeper green color. Add gelatin sheets and stir until they have dissolved completely.
- Pour into jelly cups and cool in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. Soak cups in hot water in order to unmold.​

melonjelly3.jpg

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

Melon stuff is cool! It is acutally like the ONLY thing in this world that I dislike (in raw form), but I love the flavor in other prepared food-stuffs.

Now I wanna get a bottle of Midori.

Does anyone here grind beans for their coffee? What kind of grinder do you use and how do you brew it?

I have a moka pot I used once or twice before and I thought it was fine, but I'm also interested in trying french press because I love kitchen gadgets.

We use a manual grinder at home. It works pretty well with fresh beans and you feel like you're getting exercise toning those arms. Since we only drink about 1 cup each a day at most, it's fine. If I were drinking more coffee and had to grind more, I'd probably get an electric. The one we got is this one:

skerton.jpg

Hario Skerton

For brewing, we just use the Hario v60 pour-over thing.

We use this. It's loud but it does the job well.

EM0480_primary_1.jpg

Before that we had a small compact one which used blades instead of burrs and it was OK, but this is much better.

Zyzyxxz

Braised short ribs are delicious. Braise it with a good stock, some wine, carrots/onions/celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Very standard, but very delicious.

Too bad they are expensive these days and 1/3-1/2 of the weight you pay for is the bone. I remember when I was a kid nobody wanted short ribs and you could get em for $3/lb or less.

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (September)

Rose Pastry

rosepastry1.jpg

rosepastry2.jpg

This is a flavour I've wanted to use for pastry for quite some time, but only stumbled into a bottle of rosewater recently. This pastry is once again based on inspiration from Japan where rose flavoured pastries are a common sight. Though I had both rose pastries that were too subtle in taste as well as tasting like perfume. I used 2 tsp of rosewater in my mousse which creates a sublte taste of rose that shines through in the aftertaste, once the dominat raspberries have exploded in your mouth. I think that priority is just right, but if you really like the rosey taste you can one more tsp.
The biscuit is more or less a modfied ladyfinger recipe which works wonder with this pastry. Originally I had imagined two layers of puff pastry, but I was both too lazy to make it and I was afraid the puff pastry layers would be too hard to cut through with your cake fork, crushing the entire pastry into a big mess. And hey, then you also avoid using butter in an already cream-filled pastry. In the end the sponge biscuits soaks up some of the mousse, making them easy to cut through, while still retaining some bite to them. I was in a hurry when assmebling the pastries, otherwise the mousse on top could advantageously be piped into a rose swirl.

rosepastry3.jpg

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Sponge Biscuit
Yields: 20 biscuits
150 g egg whites
150 g sugar
100 g egg yolk
150 g flour
2 tbsp powdered sugar

Rose Mousse
400 ml cream
100 g egg whites
50 g sugar
4 gelatin sheets
½ lemon
2-3 tsp rosewater
1 tsp red food color​

Directions
Sponge Biscuit
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pencil draw circles that are 8½ cm in diameter. Turn the paper upside down to avoid transmission to the biscuits.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the sugar until you get stiff peaks. Pour in the egg yolks and beat on max speed for just 2 seconds. Use a spatula to fold in completely and then gently fold in the flour.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag and pipe into the circles. Sieve powdered sugar on the discs, then wait 1 minutes and powder once more.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden at 180°C. Cool on rack before assembly.

Rose Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then gradually add sugar until soft peaks.
- In a small saucepan heat up(either over lowest heat or hot waterbath) 20 ml cream and the juice from the lemon, add rosewater and food color. Then drain the gelatin sheets from water and add to the saucepan, stir until completely dissolved.
- Whip remaining cream to soft peaks. Fold in gelatin mixture. Fold in egg whites. If you've beaten the cream too stiff it can be difficult to fold in the egg whites and make a uniform mousse.
- Transfer to piping bag and pipe in the middle of a bisuit with an arranged raspberry circle, until the mousse pops out between the berries, add some extra mousse on top in the middle to 'glue' the next biscuit.
- Cool in fridge for 2 hours before serving.​

rosepastry4.jpg

rosepastry5.jpg

Laddu

laddu1.jpg

laddu2.jpg

I always love experimenting and try my hand at new stuff. More often than not I'm working on stuff/elements/recipes that I haven't worked on before. What happens to be a common way that force me to try new things is when I buy a really odd ingredient, and then don't know what to do with the leftovers.In this case it was a 2kg bag of chickpea flour that I had used to make zucchini pancakes. A quick search on the internet told me that I would have to venture into Indian cuisine which is uncharted territory for me.
I'm happy with the end result eventhough I'm not even 100% sure that this is how the consistency or taste of a laddu should be. They are very aromatic, almost resembling of some nutty taste, and they are very sweet which means I couldn't just gobble up several laddu in one go. I had a lot of extra pistachio nuts at hand which I think serve as a great crunchy contrast to the soft laddu, I guess you could also just coat the entire laddu in pistachios. Now to figure out what to do with the leftover ghee!

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Yields ~16 balls or 4 servings
100 g ghee (can be substitued with clarified butter, though less aromatic)
250 g chickpea flour (aka gram flour or besan)
250 g powdered sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp pistachio, finely chopped​

Directions

- Pour ghee into a deep pan and bring it to its smoking point (~250°C, or when a lot of smoke is generated, hence the name...).
- Reduce heat to middle, and wait 1 minute, then add the chickpea flour and stir. Roast the flour until you get a good aroma and changes to a slightly deeper color.
- Take off heat, but keep stirring to avoid burning the flour. After 1 minute add the powdered sugar and then cardamom and stir. Rest for 10 minutes.
- The dough should now have cooled enough to handle. Shape laddu balls using one hand and then rool between yours palms to make them completely round. You may have to add additional ghee if you can't get the dough to stick enough to form balls (I had to use 2 extra tbsp). Dip the laddus in ghee and then in the chopped pistachios and they are done.
- Cool in fridge if not serving immediately.​

source

TheExodu5

Banned
Gonna make an Irish stew for a LAN party in a few weeks. Never tried making one before. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thinking of getting bone-less short ribs (really not that much more expensive than chuck where I buy it), potatoes, carrots, parsnips. Do parsnips work well in a stew? Any other veggies to consider? Should I put in a full can of Guiness?

Gonna make an Irish stew for a LAN party in a few weeks. Never tried making one before. Thoughts? Ideas?
They're not too hard, and there's a ton of recipes out there. In regards to additions I'd suggest adding a small amount of whatever it is (Guiness, salt, spices, etc), leaving it for 15-30 minutes cooking, taste and then add more only if you think it needs more of that thing.

Hariyali Chicken & Paneer Tikka served with some curry:

Chicken in dutch oven
VtPynpH.jpg

Paneer was done in Pan. final product:
4by2gh1.jpg

Wish I plated better :p

Was proud of this dish, I find paneer very difficult to cook as it is very easy to overcook it. This turned out very well (even though some pieces had sides overcooked due to uneven gas stove)

Zyzyxxz

Tasted better than it looked but I made a fried catfish red curry with Thai eggplants, shallots, pickled green peppercorns, and krachai (a thai rhizome with a distinct flavor).

10111907954_f3863cc812_c.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Derp, I bought espresso beans so my first cup of hand-ground "coffee" came out far more bitter than I expected. Still good, but I'm going to shelve it until some day I get my own espresso machine and get a new bag of coffee beans.

So many choices, it's hard to pick.

Tasted better than it looked
Are you kidding me? They look amazing, they most taste amazing then :p

Another weekend, another day in the kitchen.

Rhubarb Eclairs with Ginger Icing

rhubarbeclairs1.jpg

rhubarbeclairs2.jpg

These were so tasty. A friend of mine who hadn't tried much of my sweet stuff was really surprised of how much the rhubarb custard actually tasted of rhubarb. Well, this is the result when you use great ingredients, fresh from the garden instead of using factory-made powder. There's a world of difference. Initially I was afraid that the ginger icing would be too strong, it burned a lot when I had a taste while making the icing, but being cooled down and drowned in wonderful rhubarb custard, subdued the spiciness to a tingling sensation back in your mouth. I love the combination of rhubarb and ginger and eclairs as the frame certainly doesn't take away from it, just the contrary.

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Rhubarb Custard
Fills ~15 eclairs
400 g rhubarb, chopped
75 g sugar
1 lemon

6 egg yolks
125 g sugar
60 g flour
300 ml cream
100 ml whole milk
½ vanilla bean
Choux Pastry
Yields ~20 eclairs
100 g butter
250 ml water
130 g flour
3-4 eggs​

Ginger Icing
1 tsp ginger powder
300 g powdered sugar
Couple of tbsp hot water​

rhubarbeclairs3.jpg

Directions
Rhubarb Custard
- Put rhubarb, sugar and juice from the lemon in a pant with a lid on. Cook it on low heat until the rhubarb starts to dissolve. Stir and turn to the lowest heat and take the lid off to evaporate the water. This can take 20-30 minutes. You may want to blend the rhubarb, as you want a fine smooth custard when piping the eclairs.

- Scrape out the vanilla seeds and add them to milk, cream and the empty vanilla bean in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl for a couple of seconds, then add the flour add whisk well.
- When the cream reaches the boiling point pour it in a stream to the yolk mixture while whisking. Then pour the mixture back to the pan on low heat. Keep whisking all the time to avoid burning the mixture.
- Near boiling point the mixture will thicken, turn to lowest heat and keep whisking for a minute or two. You want it to be rather thick as the rhubarb will thin it down.
- Add the rhubarb mixture and whisk it to a uniform custard. Cool in fridge while making the choux pastry.

Choux Pastry
- Preheat the oven at 200°C. Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cook water and butter in a saucepan.
- Once the butter has melted and the water comes to a boil, add the flour while beating(use a wooden spoon or mixer)
- Once the mixture has combined and comes off the saucepan and spoon, take it off the heat to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, and beat well each time. Once the dough gets this shiny, wet appearance (around the 3rd or 4th egg) it's ready.
- Scoop up the dough in a piping or plastic bag, and pipe your desired sized eclairs on the baking pan. Remember that coux pastry almost doubles in size (length and wide) when baking in the oven
- Bake at 200°C for 25 mins or until they become golden. DON'T open the oven before they are done, as that will let the steam out of the eclairs making them collapse.
- You can let them cool off inside the turned off oven, half open, but they'll make it if you take them out due to another batch waiting to be baked. Make sure to cut the piping hole open as you take them of the oven. This will let the steam out and have them be ready to be filled.

Ginger Icing
- Add hot water one of tbsp at a time to the powdered sugar and ginger, mix well to get any lumps out and apply one tbsp to each eclair.​

source for rhubarb custard

rhubarbeclairs4.jpg

you so good Metroid.

My lamb craze continues.

Slow roasted lamb in homemade Harissa sauce with mint sauce.
Served with a salad of Arugula, Red Onions and Avocado tossed in lime vinaigrette. Salad idea from fellow GAFer who posted it a few pages back

4 hours to cook worth every second.

These aren't really Laddu (or at the least if you asked for Laddu in a shop you wouldn't get those, you would get these:

What you have made would be called Besan in a shop (I think, was the texture crumbly?), you can also use the flour to make pakora/bhajia which I think is probably the most popular use of it (if it isn't it should be), & if you have got a taste for Indian sweets you should really check out Rassmalai & Gulab Jamun, they taste amazing.

These aren't really Laddu (or at the least if you asked for Laddu in a shop you wouldn't get those, you would get these:

What you have made would be called Besan in a shop (I think, was the texture crumbly?), you can also use the flour to make pakora/bhajia which I think is probably the most popular use of it (if it isn't it should be), & if you have got a taste for Indian sweets you should really check out Rassmalai & Gulab Jamun, they taste amazing.
The laddu I made I know as Besan Laddu, and the ones ypu picture I know as Boondi Laddu, didn't know one was more 'dominant'. But I haven't been to many Indian markets and, heck, this was the first time I ever tried making my own. Thanks for all the reference, I'll defintely dig into it.

Guess I am posting too much, too often lol
No you are not, and gimme that mint sauce, sounds really interesting.

I made

Sachertorte

sachertorte1.jpg

sachertorte2.jpg

Had a lot of leftover ingredients on me and then I usually go to some of my favorite recipes as quick and easy way to use those ingredients. I ended up combining these favorite elements into something I haven't made before; Sachertorte. Now I'm not even sure wether or not this is the best chocolate cake or ganache to use for a Sachertore, as I've never had one before, but using my favorite chocolate cake never seems to go wrong. Also instead of the traditional middle layer of apricot jam I used plum jam made by my mother-in-law. For a cake this rich in chocolate I was actually quite surprised how much the taste of plum jam came through.
Oh and I made one mistake, baking the cake in two forms instead of one. Mainly did so out of old habit as I usually fill the layers with a mousse or cream while in a pressed form which hides the rough cake edges. Having just a thin layer of jam and then coating with ganache will not out the great, so instead opt for cutting one cake into two layers.

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Chocolate Cake
100 g unsalted butter, room temperature
250 g sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
50 g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
170 g flour
160 ml whole milk

200 ml Apricot Jam

Chocolate Ganache
300 g 60% or higher chocolate
150 ml cream
30 g butter​

Directions
Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Prepare a 9" springform with parchement paper in the bottom and then greased bottom and side.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 5 minutes on high speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down unmixed ingredients down from the sides after each egg.
- Turn down the speed and mix in vanilla and cocoa, baking powder and soda and salt until well mixed.
- Add half the flour then all milk, then finish mixing in the remaining flour. Mix well until the batter is uniform.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden stick comes out clean. Let the cake cool slightly in the form before turning it upside down unto a cooling rack. When at room temp cut the cake into two layers using a serrated knife.
- Brush apricot jam on lowest layer and place the top back on, set in fridge while making ganache.

Chocolate Ganache
- Heat cream until boiling point and pour over finely chopped chocolate(you may want to melt the chocolate slightly before) and carefully mix(we don't want to create too much air bubbles). Fold in the butter.
- Let it cool slightly(5-10 mins, but keep an eye on it, you don't want it to be too thick) and pour over the cake. It's a good idea to have the cake on a rack and keep some parchement paper underneath to save as much ganache as possible.

sachertorte3.jpg

Ooooh, that looks great.

Share recipe?

No you are not, and gimme that mint sauce, sounds really interesting.

Thanks, I was half joking as I posted back to back.

Recipe is:

Mint Sauce:
In food processor mixed Mint, Cilantro, Lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin and sour cream (you can also use yogurt). I didn't take measurements, just started with a set quantity and kept tasting and balancing (without adding any more lime juice).

Harissa Sauce:
This can be made many different ways, you can even buy harissa paste.
My way was:
Put 4 chipotle peppers (dry) and microwaved in a bowl with water for 2 minutes.
In a food processor/mixer grind: cumin seeds, coriander seeds or coriander leaves, caraway seeds, paprika, garlic cloves (3), lemon juice, 2 tsp of olive oil, salt, pepper. After grinding into paste, add the chipotle peppers, some of the liquid from the bowl and grind into paste. Then add yogurt or sour cream and grind and make a sauce out of it. Sauce should be very spicy.

For kebabs:
Cut chicken breast into pieces. Mix chicken pieces with some olive oil, salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag marinade chicken with harissa sauce and marinate for 4-6 hours.
Put Kebabs on skewers, broiled in oven at high for 20 minutes (can vary dependent on how high/low your rack is) with turning kebabs around every 5 minutes or so.

For salad:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Wilted-Spinach-Salad-with-Warm-Feta-Dressing-240677#

Cfh123

I'm making a birthday cake from scratch for my kids this coming Monday. This is my first time baking a cake from scratch.

My plan is to make a plain vanilla cake (two layers - eight inch diameter) with chocolate buttercream icing. My kids will add Smarties to the outside.

Does anyone have a good and simple recipe for chocolate icing? I see some recipes call for cocoa powder and others melted unsweetened chocolate. There is quite a bit of variation in the recipes I've seen. I'm also not sure how much icing to make.

Does anyone have a good and simple recipe for chocolate icing?
Maybe consider ganache? My wife makes a ton of takes and unless she wants to use fondant for a themed cake she'll use ganache. It's basically chocolate, cream and butter, goes a bit gooey if warm and if too cold is hard to use (put it in the microwave for a bit) but seems easy to work with.

I'm making a birthday cake from scratch for my kids this coming Monday. This is my first time baking a cake from scratch.

My plan is to make a plain vanilla cake (two layers - eight inch diameter) with chocolate buttercream icing. My kids will add Smarties to the outside.

Does anyone have a good and simple recipe for chocolate icing? I see some recipes call for cocoa powder and others melted unsweetened chocolate. There is quite a bit of variation in the recipes I've seen. I'm also not sure how much icing to make.
The absolutely easiest and idiot-proof icing to make is using a huge amount of powdered sugar, add some tbsp of cocoa powder, some hot water and mix, adding more of the three ingredients until you get the right consistency.
Ganache is ok to use, but it can be tricky and suddenly you've wasted good chocolate, but go ahead if you like, the smarties will cover ugly spots anyway.
If you can deal with the sugar(your kids too) you can also make frosting which is veryeasy to apply.

Cfh123

The absolutely easiest and idiot-proof icing to make is using a huge amount of powdered sugar, add some tbsp of cocoa powder, some hot water and mix, adding more of the three ingredients until you get the right consistency.
Ganache is ok to use, but it can be tricky and suddenly you've wasted good chocolate, but go ahead if you like, the smarties will cover ugly spots anyway.
If you can deal with the sugar(your kids too) you can also make frosting which is veryeasy to apply.

Thanks!

The laddu I made I know as Besan Laddu, and the ones ypu picture I know as Boondi Laddu, didn't know one was more 'dominant'. But I haven't been to many Indian markets and, heck, this was the first time I ever tried making my own. Thanks for all the reference, I'll defintely dig into it.

Perhaps things are different in India, but in England Laddu are definitely the Boondi ones. I'm impressed that you have made your own mettai, just watching my family make it puts me off eating it (way too much fat & sugar goes into them).

As someone who has just discovered peas with lettuce, I was wondering if anyone knew a good vegetable stock that would complement it( I've been using this recipe for the peas)?

GiJoccin

We use a manual grinder at home. It works pretty well with fresh beans and you feel like you're getting exercise toning those arms. Since we only drink about 1 cup each a day at most, it's fine. If I were drinking more coffee and had to grind more, I'd probably get an electric. The one we got is this one:

Hario Skerton

For brewing, we just use the Hario v60 pour-over thing.

only downside apart from when you have to grind more than one or two cups worth of beans... is that it's really not the most precise grinder. it works best for coarser french press type grinds, but if you try to grind finely, you get a range of grinds as the grinding thingie wobbles in place

Yes Boss!

I guess I put food processor/blender in the same category

Yeah, for chutneys and stuff a blender is more versatile for me. You just have to add a bit more liquid (or scale up the batch) to get it going.

Slicing and dicing is always better with a knife and a block. But I tend not to like how food-pros chop into bits and pieces. Quick though. But I do like a more consistent and squared-off cut.

I make all my ginger-garlic paste in my Blender.

I like a medium-grade blender. I use a $100 Waring with a glass clover carafe. 1/2 horsepower has served me well since 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom