• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkworm

Wait, you haven't uploaded an image in this thread before??? I remember you posting in here... forever!? So you've only been commenting and discussing up till now? o_O

Great looking cake btw, unfortunate name though :p

Oh, you're making me feel guilty, Metroid! ;-) BTW, thanks for saying the cake looks good. :)
Anyway, I'll never match your output, quality, and inventiveness but I'll try to share more pictures of my humble efforts more often now that I've finally gotten the hang of uploading images (though I've only got a crappy digital camera) :-D

Edit: BTW, what's wrong with name Ding Dongs? Hostess Ding Dongs, mmmm!
Ding_dongs.jpg

My family has prime rib and lobster every year. I usually make a bisque to go with the lobster.

I'm also having a hobbit party and making a crown roast of pork. Never made one before so here's to hoping it turns out!

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm in the market for a new wok...what do i want? Hand hammered?

I have a gas range...does that mean i wanted a rounded bottom with a ring?

Halp!

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (December)

Toblerone Cupcakes by cloudwalking

tobleronecupcakes1.jpg

tobleronecupcakes2.jpg

It's always fun to incorporate a brand you like into your baking, and seeing these Toblerone Cupcakes, I knew I had to try them out. I don't make or buy cupcakes that often as I find them too sweet and a bit flat in tastes. On top of that the ratio of frosting compared to cake is borderline offensive most of the times. So I go after cupcakes that really taste good, like a good lemon cupcake, or ones that involves more than just cake, like a peach cupcake with pieces of peach inside. For these Toblerone cupcakes, I decided to frost them with a Toblerone flavoured swiss meringue buttercream. Not only does it makes sense considered that Toblerone is a Swiss product, but a SMBC isn't nearly as sweet as many other frostings. Another quality aspect of the frosting is that once it sets, it's pretty robust, evident by my clumsy hands dropping one on the floor, still looking unscathed as I picked it up. Just remember to leave them out some time before serving, so that the frosting will be soft and the flavour will be greater.

~Recipe~
Yields: 12-15 cupcakes

Ingredients
Toblerone Cupcakes
113 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
130 g sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
210 g flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
60 ml whole milk
50 g Toblerone, crushed up

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
200 g sugar
3 egg whites
190 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes and cool, but not cold
150 g Toblerone
Additional Toblerone for decoration​

Directions
Toblerone Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven at 180°C and lightly butter or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the crushed Toblerone and fold well.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Over a hot waterbath gently whisk egg whites and sugar in a medium bowl(or that of a stand mixer), till it reaches a temperature of 70°C. Take it off the bath and beat at high speeds until it becomes a thick and glossy meringue, around 10 minutes. The bottom of the bowl should feel neutral to the touch, too warm and the butter will melt.
- Mix on low speeds while adding butter cubes one at a time. The cream should have a silky smooth texture. If too runny refrigerate for about 15 minutes, and mix until the texture is right
- Melt the Toblerone in the micro oven(check every 15 seconds to avoid burning the chocolate), cool it slightly and mix into the buttercream. Pipe or spoon the buttercream over the cooled cupcakes and decorate with Toblerone.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes to set the SMBC, then bring them to room temperature prior to serving.​

tobleronecupcakes3.jpg

GAF, I'm in a pickle and I hope you guys can help me out. I wanted to make a rib roast for Christmas Dinner and my brother volunteered to go buy it. What he came back with doesn't look like a rib roast though:

What is that and what can I do with it? It looks way too lean to make a good roast...

Looks like a sirloin to me. Can be roasted, you'd want to roll it first though. Cook to medium rare.
Traditionally you'd lard it to give it a bit more moisture. Can also make a good steak.

Silkworm

This past weekend I made Bangkok Peanut Ice Cream from "Jenni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home" cookbook I own. I've made a few other flavors of ice cream from this cookbook but I have to say I've enjoyed the most the recipes that have used peanut butter as one of the ingredients (must be the peanut butter lover in me :p).

The recipe can be found here.

Also the cayenne in the recipe gives it a nice kick, more so than I had anticipated (a nice surprise) :)

Wow at that spider crab. Would like to have that sometime. Does it taste like regular crab?

I celebrated christmas at my parents where we had duck and roast pork, which is very tradional christmas eve dinner in Denmark. I read that over 80% had duck this year.

I got a ton of kitchen/baking utensils including a Kenwood kitchen machine o_O. Now to figure out if I should change it for a different model or not.

CrankyJay

Banned
Wow at that spider crab. Would like to have that sometime. Does it taste like regular crab?

I celebrated christmas at my parents where we had duck and roast pork, which is very tradional christmas eve dinner in Denmark. I read that over 80% had duck this year.

I got a ton of kitchen/baking utensils including a Kenwood kitchen machine o_O. Now to figure out if I should change it for a different model or not.

Yeah it was amazing. I bought 3 goal for me and my wife and it was too much. I have pics of the meat out of the shell I will post later. Between that and the shrimp stuffed potatoes it was overload.

Just had melted butter and fresh squeezed lemon.

This past weekend I made Bangkok Peanut Ice Cream from "Jenni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home" cookbook I own. I've made a few other flavors of ice cream from this cookbook but I have to say I've enjoyed the most the recipes that have used peanut butter as one of the ingredients (must be the peanut butter lover in me :p).

The recipe can be found here.

Also the cayenne in the recipe gives it a nice kick, more so than I had anticipated (a nice surprise) :)

Best thing about living in Columbus is Jeni's. I go there far too often.....

This is probably the only time i will post in this thread because i am proud enough of how my turkey came out lol in comparison to the amazing stuff posted here.

Beer can mango habanero turkey.

Rubbed it down last night with salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, dried red chili flakes, onion powder, garlic powder and oregano.

This morning, propped it up on a stand and stuck a beer can inside it.

Smoked it for about 5 hours, then put it in a tinfoil pan and covered it with tin foil and sat in the smoker for another 5 hours slow and low.

Periodically sprayed it with pineapple juice.

Last hour or so, brushed on mango-habanero bbq sauce from a local butcher.

Pre-cook

1507718_10102023494183294_2071894767_n.jpg

End product

1480498_10102024192114634_1474944756_n.jpg

Random Christmas pics since I was so busy keeping things running smoothly and didn't document well.

First two were Christmas Eve dinner. Shaved brussel sprouts salad in a brown butter sauce with sliced apples and roasted hazelnuts:

IMG_2682.jpg

Potato and caramelized onion, as well as sauerkraut, pierogies:

IMG_2683.jpg

Start of Christmas day dinner. Simple compound chive butter:

IMG_2690.jpg

Prepped cremini mushrooms with garlic, parlsey, etc., for roasting, those are chunks of butter, hehe.

IMG_2691.jpg

Ricotta fritters stacked and refrigerated in preparation for frying. You can see our usual stack of Cook's Illustrated with annotations in the background :p:

IMG_2692.jpg

Celery and apple salad with roasted walnuts, pomegranates:

IMG_2693.jpg

Small platter of kalamata and caper tapenade, ricotta with olive oil, salt, pepper, chive. Our usual bakery was swamped the day before with like 35 people standing in line outside the door so these are terrible baguettes :(

IMG_2694.jpg

Christmas dessert, tiramisu with shaved chocolate, etc.:

IMG_2697.jpg

Today... is a fast day.

Easy_G

This is probably the only time i will post in this thread because i am proud enough of how my turkey came out lol in comparison to the amazing stuff posted here.

Beer can mango habanero turkey.

Rubbed it down last night with salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, dried red chili flakes, onion powder, garlic powder and oregano.

This morning, propped it up on a stand and stuck a beer can inside it.

Smoked it for about 5 hours, then put it in a tinfoil pan and covered it with tin foil and sat in the smoker for another 5 hours slow and low.

Periodically sprayed it with pineapple juice.

Last hour or so, brushed on mango-habanero bbq sauce from a local butcher.

Pre-cook

1507718_10102023494183294_2071894767_n.jpg

End product

1480498_10102024192114634_1474944756_n.jpg

Damn, that end product looks like it is out of a commercial. Perfectly brown and glistening. Does the beer can merely add steam or doors it also impart flavor?

Random Christmas pics since I was so busy keeping things running smoothly and didn't document well.

First two were Christmas Eve dinner. Shaved brussel sprouts salad in a brown butter sauce with sliced apples and roasted hazelnuts:

IMG_2682.jpg

Potato and caramelized onion, as well as sauerkraut, pierogies:

IMG_2683.jpg

Start of Christmas day dinner. Simple compound chive butter:

IMG_2690.jpg

Prepped cremini mushrooms with garlic, parlsey, etc., for roasting, those are chunks of butter, hehe.

IMG_2691.jpg

Ricotta fritters stacked and refrigerated in preparation for frying. You can see our usual stack of Cook's Illustrated with annotations in the background :p:

IMG_2692.jpg

Celery and apple salad with roasted walnuts, pomegranates:

IMG_2693.jpg

Small platter of kalamata and caper tapenade, ricotta with olive oil, salt, pepper, chive. Our usual bakery was swamped the day before with like 35 people standing in line outside the door so these are terrible baguettes :(

IMG_2694.jpg

Christmas dessert, tiramisu with shaved chocolate, etc.:

IMG_2697.jpg

Today... is a fast day.
I don't know which dish to compliment first. Those all look awesome. Love the butter to mushroom ratio. The perogies look amazing, and the tiramisu too. How many were you cooking for?

Made beef wellington for the fam!

IMG_20131224_190951.jpg

IMG_20131224_191907.jpg

sorry for the ugly cellphone pics
I thought about making beef Wellington a while ago, but chickened out at the last second. Yours looks great. Perfectly cooked which is the risky part considering it's too easy to ruin a nice cut off meat like that.

Damn, that end product looks like it is out of a commercial. Perfectly brown and glistening. Does the beer can merely add steam or doors it also impart flavor?

To be honest, i don't know.

It was probably the juiciest turkey i have ever had.

Im guessing that the beer can help maintain moisture because it was totally empty after the 5 hours of smoke.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys, I have a bag of apples, I need to do something with them, ideally something that will make use of most of them. I could make an apple pie, but is there anything I can do that doesn't require dough or making dough? At worst, I'll make an apple pie.

Easy_G

Guys, I have a bag of apples, I need to do something with them, ideally something that will make use of most of them. I could make an apple pie, but is there anything I can do that doesn't require dough or making dough? At worst, I'll make an apple pie.

Apple crisp? Basically apple pie without the dough and with a crumble on top.

thespot84

what kind of apples?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Spartan apples.
I made the apple crisp, but the crust didn't really crust. I followed this recipe but I screwed up the oatmeal mix, I thought it was so weird that it was all dry ingredients. Well d'uh, I was supposed to pour the melted butter in it, not cook the apples in a mixture of melted butter and sugar..... Still, you can't really screw up baked apples and sugar and cinnamon, it tastes great regardless:)

Later this week I'll make a chocolate fudge recipe which is 1/2cup of chocolate, 1/2cup of maple syrup, 1/2cup of coconut oil. I don't have walnuts, I'll add some orange zest.

edit: Made a nice batch of red curry beef and potatoes yesterday, so good in the winter. There's a lot of coriander hiding the rest because I'm gonna lose it if I don't use it.

Easy_G

A few things I've done in the past couple of days.

I forgot to post final pictures of my turkey stock from Thanksgiving! Here it is nearly done in the pot at about hour 5. And then also the final haul. I left it as a stock (no salt added) and even as that it is good enough to just drink straight. Very happy with how it turned out. I have to say if you have never tried cooking a stock you MUST TRY IT. It has one of the largest jumps in quality between store-bought and home made. Even the expensive organic brands of stock have nothing on home made.

A local pizzeria makes an amazing brussels sprouts pizza which I tried to make. They don't use a tomato base and I'm fairly certain they use a different cheese, but mine was still pretty tasty. I used a premade raw pizza dough. I need to make it on my own one of these days. And I still need to let my oven preheat properly with the pizza stone. I think I threw the pizza in a bit too early.

Buffalo mozzarella, tomato sauce, brussels sprouts, shallots, olive oil, bacon baked at 500 F. I added only the sauce and cheese at the start and then put the sprouts and shallots on after a few minutes in the oven, and then finally a little extra cheese and the cooked bacon at the end.

And finally I tried a baked egg recipe for breakfast.

Tomatoes, basil, parsely as the base with butter and then topped with eggs and some heavy cream. Baked at 350F for just over 15 minutes. Turned out quite good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looks like the classic 'thin' european waffle iron, correct? If so I might have an old recipe from my grandmother at home. I'll see if I remember it this tuesday.
that would be great, thanks in advance. The recipe I tried yesterday was a rather basic one:

500gr flour,
250gr sugar,
200gr liquified butter,
yolks and whites of 6 eggs (whip the whites and work them in last),
packet of baking powder
packet of vanilla sugar,
125-175ml sparkling water,
cinnamon after personal preference.

Let the glory that is the wafflecake dwell in your heart Onkel, for the day that machine turns on you is perhaps only a matter of time.
will try that at a later point :)

If you pour them thin, they become very crepe-like---if thick, pancake like. Results may vary depending of course, my experience was with a really old fashioned Belgian Waffle recipe.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What's on your Last dinner table of the year?
We'll be having a cheese fondue. This year it'll have Appenzeller, Emmentaler, Stilfzer and a hint of Manchego.
smallP1020049.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the great contributions over the last year. have a great new years eve and a wonderful 2014. I am looking forward to seeing/reading about your culinary expeditions soon!

My wife is making meatloaf tonight. Mmm.

Anyone have some good recipes for turnips? I love them roasted, but no one else in my family will eat them. I want to have more turnips.

The only way they eat them now is if I mash them along with some potatoes.

Edit speaking of waffles, anyone have a good yeast waffle recipe? Wanted to make some for breakfast tomorrow.

Just a couple pancakes in the oven skillet and some frozen patty sausage---not a great meal, just a regular one.

Come Midnight however, I'll be ringing in the New Year in style downing a bottle of Main Root Spicy Ginger Brew and a good-sized slice of my frozen Boston Blackout B-Day Cake then going straight to bed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yams grilled in their skin and lamb skewers.

And I bought a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal to send off 2013.

Easy_G

I'll be doing an Italian sausage called coteghino with mostarda (preserved fruits with some mustard seasoning) and polenta with gorgonzola. It's a tradition from the area where my dad grew up.

And lucky for me my girlfriend doesn't like it so I get to eat it all myself. I'll make some bratwurst we had on the freezer that she can have.

Had a really uneventful New Year's Eve dinner. As both the lady and I were awfully tired after a long christmas vacation at our parents town, on top of having a young dog, we just wanted a easy quiet evening with simple food.

Mixed up a carpaccio dish, with baked potatoes and a nice salad, no dessert(o_O!).

I do have some pictures of stuff I made over crhistmas.

Raspberry Mousse Cake (with a core of chocolate mousse and raspberry jelly [see Matcha Mousse Cake]
raspberrymoussecake1-1.jpg

Chili Mango Chocolate Cake
chilicake1.jpg

chilicake2.jpg

The chili cake was an experiment for a cake I want to make later. And I'm very glad I made it as infusing chili into the cake was much more troublesome than I figured. I had planned to use chili-infused water in both the chocolate cake and the whipped cream frosting, but after adding the the chili water(which was very hot in itself) in the chocolate batter, you couldn't recognize the chili at all. I ended up using so much chili water that I had to add way too much flour downgrading the taste noticeably. Oh well still got a chance with the frosting, decided to purée the chili and add it directly into the whipped cream, but nope the cream(perhaps not surprisingly) neutralized the hotness completely. So I ended up sprinkling raw chili over the cake, and even that didn't show up on my taste buds... Next time, I'll have to raise the stakes and go for some seriously strong chili. I don't want it to overpower the cake, but I want it to at least be noticed when consumed.

Got more stuff to add later or tomorrow.

Edit: Oh and here are some 'thin' waffle recipes:

Recipe 1 (ordinary)
250 g flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
600 ml milk
1 egg
150 g butter

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together with the milk. Add egg and mix, then melt the butter and mix it in.

Recipe 2 (special)
125 g flour
2 tbsp sugar
5-6 tbsp beer
2 eggs
125 g butter
100 ml cream

Mix flour, sugar, beer and egg yolks together. Melt butter and add to batter. Whip the cream to peaks and fold in. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks and fold in just before baking the waffles.

I haven't actually tried these recipes myself, and I'm not even sure if these are the waffles I got from my grandmother when she occsionally made waffles. It's just some recipes I got when she passed away. Though with all this waffle talk, I may end up baking some tomorrow.

Edit edit: And shortly after my first edit, I actually went ahead and made waffles based on the first recipe... XD They were okay, but hardly rose when baked(use more baking powder or egg), otherwise they were really crisp. I'll probably make the other recipe this weekend.

waffle1-1.jpg

DJ_Lae

image-3.jpg

I bought a waffle iron recently and am experimenting around with a few recipes.

I have that exact waffle iron (though mine is a lot dirtier at this point!). Took me a while to pick one out a couple of years back as they rarely come on sale and I didn't want the deep pocket Belgian style.

With kids, the fact that you can tear each waffle into five hearts makes it even handier.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I made chocolate "fudge", although I just filled ice cube trays so it looks like crap and I won't post a picture. 1/2cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup 100% black chocolate, 1/2 cup of coconut oil, and the chopped zest of a whole orange, then froze it. It is delicious and for some reason the taste gave me the idea to make garam masala chocolate fudge next time. It seemed like a weird idea so I looked up garam masala + chocolate on google and it turns out it's a common mix:)

I made chocolate "fudge", although I just filled ice cube trays so it looks like crap and I won't post a picture. 1/2cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup 100% black chocolate, 1/2 cup of coconut oil, and the chopped zest of a whole orange, then froze it. It is delicious and for some reason the taste gave me the idea to make garam masala chocolate fudge next time. It seemed like a weird idea so I looked up garam masala + chocolate on google and it turns out it's a common mix:)

We should do a thread on fun things you can put in ice cube trays. We use those lovely square silicone ones.

- excess tempered chocolate, makes a nice little super rich dark chocolate snack when you want a tiny sugar + caffeine + flavonoid bump; knife on some coconut oil for mega yum, similar to above
- leftover pesto, warm the little cubes up whenever you have some leftover plain pasta and want to make a single service sized pesto to mix in (note that melting them in the pasta is often a mistake)
- leftover coffee, use them in iced coffees in the summer to avoid watering down the drink as the ice melts

TheExodu5

Banned

Was that recipe inspired by foodwishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom