• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We should do a thread on fun things you can put in ice cube trays. We use those lovely square silicone ones.

- excess tempered chocolate, makes a nice little super rich dark chocolate snack when you want a tiny sugar + caffeine + flavonoid bump; knife on some coconut oil for mega yum, similar to above
- leftover pesto, warm the little cubes up whenever you have some leftover plain pasta and want to make a single service sized pesto to mix in (note that melting them in the pasta is often a mistake)
- leftover coffee, use them in iced coffees in the summer to avoid watering down the drink as the ice melts

I should have used the silicone ones for sure but had none. I am not sure if it's because mine were made of plastic, but the top part froze properly while the interior was not as "compact", but maybe if I greased them a little it would have worked out.

You can freeze chicken broth too in cubes.

Was that recipe inspired by foodwishes?

Yep, and since walnuts are too expensive I had the idea of using orange zest. I'm not sure what the coconut oil is for though, I'm guessing the chocolate would turn solid anyway without it?

Anyone have little to no sodium recipes?

I almost never add salt myself, since usually some ingredients contain sodium anyway, and even without any I often don't add it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
infusing chili into the cake was much more troublesome than I figured.

Use a dried and powdered chili like ancho, chipotle, or cayenne in the batter next time; it's a far more effective way of imparting the flavor without upsetting the balance of the recipe with additional liquid or oils, and won't be strongly neutralized by the casein in the dairy.

DJ_Lae

Just made a batch of quinoa chocolate and sour cream cupcakes - I surprised myself last year when I tried them out (for my daughter's birthday party as my cousin and his son are celiac) as they ended up tasting better than the homemade cake I made with regular flour. I've made them two or three times since then.

They do, however, keep horribly and go from fantastic to inedible overnight. I'm going to freeze half of them today and see how well that goes.

They're also pretty expensive in comparison as quinoa flour isn't the cheapest thing.

Silkworm

Just made a batch of quinoa chocolate and sour cream cupcakes - I surprised myself last year when I tried them out (for my daughter's birthday party as my cousin and his son are celiac) as they ended up tasting better than the homemade cake I made with regular flour. I've made them two or three times since then.

They do, however, keep horribly and go from fantastic to inedible overnight. I'm going to freeze half of them today and see how well that goes.

They're also pretty expensive in comparison as quinoa flour isn't the cheapest thing.

Is the short half life of the cupcakes due to the quinoa flour? I was curious if there were any special considerations about using quinoa flour so I did a brief search. I didn't see anything obvious but several places mention heat treating/toasting the flour to improve its texture and taste when used in baking recipes. Any way, if you haven't already done this you might try toasting the quinoa flour to see if that improves the longevity of the cupcakes (doesn't seem like it would hurt anything).

DJ_Lae

Is the short half life of the cupcakes due to the quinoa flour? I was curious if there were any special considerations about using quinoa flour so I did a brief search. I didn't see anything obvious but several places mention heat treating/toasting the flour to improve its texture and taste when used in baking recipes. Any way, if you haven't already done this you might try toasting the quinoa flour to see if that improves the longevity of the cupcakes (doesn't seem like it would hurt anything).

I assume it's the flour as the cupcakes have no less fat than others I've made (plus the sour cream), but I'm not sure.

I'll totally try toasting it next time, even if it doesn't do anything for them going stale it would probably add a welcome nuttiness.

I let my daughters decorate the cupcakes, too, just a plain vanilla frosting and some random sprinkles from the cupboard.

itbaBwilVaL5x.jpg

Naturally each cupcake is wholly unique with some having twice the frosting and some with no sprinkles at all because they fell into the tray instead.

Silkworm

I assume it's the flour as the cupcakes have no less fat than others I've made (plus the sour cream), but I'm not sure.

I'll totally try toasting it next time, even if it doesn't do anything for them going stale it would probably add a welcome nuttiness.

Cool! I'm curious if it'll make any difference. I've tried one recipe using quinoa in baking Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies but it used 1 cup of cooked quinoa, not quinoa flour. But I enjoyed the result so I was curious about cooking with quinoa flour. If you have a link to the recipe you used for making your quinoa chocolate and sour cream cupcakes I'd be interested :)

DJ_Lae

Cool! I'm curious if it'll make any difference. I've tried one recipe using quinoa in baking Almond-Cranberry Quinoa Cookies but it used 1 cup of cooked quinoa, not quinoa flour. But I enjoyed the result so I was curious about cooking with quinoa flour. If you have a link to the recipe you used for making your quinoa chocolate and sour cream cupcakes I'd be interested :)

I had read about using cooked quinoa and that would be an awful lot cheaper than the flour. I'll have to try it sometime.

The recipe I pilfered from the bag of flour I have - Sour Cream Fudge Cupcakes.

I think I like the combined taste of quinoa and chocolate, which gives it a different flavour than just a regular chocolate cupcake. You could probably add more cocoa powder too, it's a bit light on that.

Silkworm

I had read about using cooked quinoa and that would be an awful lot cheaper than the flour. I'll have to try it sometime.

The recipe I pilfered from the bag of flour I have - Sour Cream Fudge Cupcakes.

I think I like the combined taste of quinoa and chocolate, which gives it a different flavour than just a regular chocolate cupcake. You could probably add more cocoa powder too, it's a bit light on that.

Thanks for the recipe link (looks pretty straightforward) and advice :) I'd be curious if buying quinoa and then grinding it in a food processor/coffee grinder to make quinoa flour is cheaper than buying it as quinoa flour. I've never price compared but it seems fairly straightforward on how to convert quinoa grain into flour and if you buy the grain you can use it in multiple ways, so that's sort of an advantage even if there is no price difference.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Edit: Oh and here are some 'thin' waffle recipes:

Recipe 1 (ordinary)
250 g flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
600 ml milk
1 egg
150 g butter

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together with the milk. Add egg and mix, then melt the butter and mix it in.

Recipe 2 (special)
125 g flour
2 tbsp sugar
5-6 tbsp beer
2 eggs
125 g butter
100 ml cream

Mix flour, sugar, beer and egg yolks together. Melt butter and add to batter. Whip the cream to peaks and fold in. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks and fold in just before baking the waffles.

I haven't actually tried these recipes myself, and I'm not even sure if these are the waffles I got from my grandmother when she occsionally made waffles. It's just some recipes I got when she passed away. Though with all this waffle talk, I may end up baking some tomorrow.

Edit edit: And shortly after my first edit, I actually went ahead and made waffles based on the first recipe... XD They were okay, but hardly rose when baked(use more baking powder or egg), otherwise they were really crisp. I'll probably make the other recipe this weekend.

waffle1-1.jpg
Thanks, will try these out! :) My first thought from the ingredients list if the first recipe was that it will be a very liquid dough and thus not rise that much while baking. maybe just half the milk and a bit of sparkling water?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks again for the recipes. just tried the first one out, but made the following -> changes:

Recipe 1 (ordinary)
250 g flour
1 tbsp sugar -> around four tbsp
1 tsp baking powder -> one envelope
Pinch of salt
600 ml milk -> 450ml
1 egg -> 2 eggs
150 g butter

-> 1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
-> 1 envelope Vanilla sugar
topped them off with greek yoghurt and honey.
Texture is awesome, a hint of crispyness and the right amount of chewiness inside :)

They look so much better than the ones I made! Thanks for refining the recipe. One question though, how much is one envelope of baking powder in gram?

I bought some pork cheeks(are they really called that in englisj) today, and plan on cooking them tomorrow. Thinking about braising them in a dark ale and applecider. I'm open to any suggestions.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
One question though, how much is one envelope of baking powder in gram?
That's actually a tricky question to ask a German. Baking powder is traditionally sold here in these small envelopes like pictured below with NO WEIGHT / CONTENT AMOUNT INFO AT ALL on the cover:

34c69c164089d5fe370e2aa95f78f2ac.jpg

Dr. Oetker, whose product is pictured above, is also the culprit of this. In 1893, he had the idea to sell baking powder in said small envelopes, containing baking powder "suitable for 500 grams of flour". All other manufacturers followed suit, and so the supermarkets carry these small envelopes with baking powder "for 500 grams flour". Most recipes adapted that packaging measurement over the years, so baking powder measures in home cooking recipes are almost always in "packs" or envelopes here.

Out of curiosity, I just weighed an envelope. It's 18 grams with the packaging, so calculate around 15 grams baking powder per pack.

I bought some pork cheeks(are they really called that in englisj) today, and plan on cooking them tomorrow. Thinking about braising them in a dark ale and applecider. I'm open to any suggestions.
everything that results in a dark and heavy sauce would be great for that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Question. I made "lava cake", but not really in cake form, just in ramekins. I followed this recipe but mine didn't rise. My mixture of eggs/sugar/chocolate/flourwas much less liquid than his, so the problem is it didn't rise when I cooked it. I couldn't even flip them out of the ramekins. So I guess there wasn't enough butter?

That's actually a tricky question to ask a German. Baking powder is traditionally sold here in these small envelopes like pictured below with NO WEIGHT / CONTENT AMOUNT INFO AT ALL on the cover:

Out of curiosity, I just weighed an envelope. It's 18 grams with the packaging, so calculate around 15 grams baking powder per pack.
Ah thanks, and classical regional confusion.

Question. I made "lava cake", but not really in cake form, just in ramekins. I followed this recipe but mine didn't rise. My mixture of eggs/sugar/chocolate/flourwas much less liquid than his, so the problem is it didn't rise when I cooked it. I couldn't even flip them out of the ramekins. So I guess there wasn't enough butter?
Hmmm odd. You didn't leave out the butter to be melted with the chocolate? It could be many things, but yours being less liquid than John's, and not rising may point towards something wrong with your eggs. Leaving eggs out at room temp. before making the batter can make them hold more air(more rise) when beaten. It could also be that they were too small, or simply just bad eggs. I would try the recipe again, and if you run into the same problem again, add in another egg.
A more liquid batter should produce more moist cakes which would make it easier to get them out of the ramekins.

Good luck!

Gibbo

Just need some advice from GAF's baking masters. I'm a 30 something male who started learning baking for over a year now- and has since developed into a favorite past time of mine. I've recently started baking for small events like Cake Pops, Cookies, Brownies- nothing too fancy. Feedback generally has been quite positive from those that I've baked for.

The thing is- I feel that I'm not improving/ pushing myself alot- especially in the aesthetics area. Alot of my stuff looks pretty brownish- and I feel like those fancy fondant decorations are out of my ability. Even in the technical area, I find myself screwing up a receipe that I've done previously- not knowing what went wrong the second time around.

Are there any books / youtube channels that has helped yourself improve your baking? More often than not, I find myself just following recipes step-by-step , without knowing the actual science behind the process.

The thing is- I feel that I'm not improving/ pushing myself alot- especially in the aesthetics area. Alot of my stuff looks pretty brownish- and I feel like those fancy fondant decorations are out of my ability. Even in the technical area, I find myself screwing up a receipe that I've done previously- not knowing what went wrong the second time around.

This is a natural thing; everyone plateaus at some point (in every endeavour really) and then the real hard work of pushing through that and to the next end starts. I'm at this point with my bread baking; I have a few loaf setups down pat but I really need to break into making baguettes and nurturing my own sourdough starter (just got some in the mail, need to make a proofing box). It's so easy to crank out toast/sandwich loaves though...

Have you tried working on butter-creams? I would work on going through Italian buttercreams and then get a piping kit, and just practice, practice, practice with vanilla, lemon, lavender, etc. infused buttercreams, doing patterns and rosettes and interesting things.

Gibbo

This is a natural thing; everyone plateaus at some point (in every endeavour really) and then the real hard work of pushing through that and to the next end starts. I'm at this point with my bread baking; I have a few loaf setups down pat but I really need to break into making baguettes and nurturing my own sourdough starter (just got some in the mail, need to make a proofing box). It's so easy to crank out toast/sandwich loaves though...

Have you tried working on butter-creams? I would work on going through Italian buttercreams and then get a piping kit, and just practice, practice, practice with vanilla, lemon, lavender, etc. infused buttercreams, doing patterns and rosettes and interesting things.

Coincidentally I was just watching piping videos a few hours ago. Think I might buy two cans of betty crocker frosting to practice first before using my self made frosting

Coincidentally I was just watching piping videos a few hours ago. Think I might buy two cans of betty crocker frosting to practice first before using my self made frosting

FWIW the viscosity of a homemade buttercream is usually totally different from something like a commercial Betty Crocker, so you may find that weird/misleading.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah thanks, and classical regional confusion.

Hmmm odd. You didn't leave out the butter to be melted with the chocolate? It could be many things, but yours being less liquid than John's, and not rising may point towards something wrong with your eggs. Leaving eggs out at room temp. before making the batter can make them hold more air(more rise) when beaten. It could also be that they were too small, or simply just bad eggs. I would try the recipe again, and if you run into the same problem again, add in another egg.
A more liquid batter should produce more moist cakes which would make it easier to get them out of the ramekins.

Good luck!

I did beat the eggs, then went to melt the chocolate with butter (and not in the microwave since I don't have one, just in a pan). So they were sitting there and I beat them again before mixing with the chocolate. He said his original recipe called for extra large eggs, mine were regular eggs, so I'll add an extra yolk and extra egg next time. My chocolate was also 100%, not 60% (I liked the non-overly-sweet result). I didn't add coco powder since I had none and didn't think it would make a big difference (and it certainly wouldn't make it more liquid). The chocolate and butter mixture was so thick, it almost broke my whisk especially when I added the flour, but I didn't put more than it said.

edit: Maybe the problem was melting the butter in the chocolate in the pan. I should probably melt the butter first then pour it in the bowl, so I get almost 100% of it in the mixture, otherwise some will stay in the pan with some of the chocolate that stays in. Also looking at his video, wth, there is so much less chocolate in his mixture, that doesn't look like 3.5 ounces at all. I guess his eggs were really big cause he has a much different egg to chocolate ratio than I had. I'll try to get the same.

btw, I must never eat chocolate in the evening. I couldn't sleep all night lol.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (December)

Orange Trifle

orangetrifle1.jpg

These trifles are quick and easy to make, but will impress any quests for late night dessert, as the combination of orange, liqueur and digestive crackers is a bit of a screwball compared to most trifles. Using digestive instead of a light cake, opens up for an opportunity to add a sugary ingredient such as orange marmalade to give a sharp kick to the overall orange flavour. If you are not too keen on using alcohol, you can just use orange juice instead of Grand Marnier.

~Recipe~
Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients
2 Oranges
150 g orange marmalade
½ vanilla bean
3 tbsp sugar´
300 ml heavy cream
200 ml greek yoghurt
90 g digestive/graham crackers, crushed
3 tbsp Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur​
Directions
- Zest one of the oranges, to be used as decoration once the trifles are made. Peel the oranges, cut the flesh into small chunks and mix with the marmalade.
- Scrape out the vanilla seeds into the sugar to seperate the seeds. Beat the cream to stiff peaks while adding the vanilla sugar. Pour in the greek yoghurt and fold until incorporated.
- Divide 2/3 of the crushed crackers between 6(~150-200 ml) glasses. Pour ½ a tbsp of Grand Marnier over the crackers. Add a spoonful of orange mixture, then a dollop of cream. Then divide the remaining crackers in the glasses and repeat until you run out of space or ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and the trifle will be set and ready to serve.​

orangetrifle2.jpg

Bitter Orange Crème Brûlée

orangecremebrulee1.jpg

New blowtorch and ramekins for christmas + oranges in season = Orange Crème Brûlée. I was very excited about making these as I wanted to test out the efficiency(and safety as the last one nearly burned my hand) of my new blowtorch, but also to feed my curiosity of the orange flavour in this dessert. You usually run the mixture through a sieve to avoid any lumps that sometimes come from the yolks, but I wanted to keep the zest in the mixture and just quickly searched it for any lumps. The orange flavour was just as I wanted it to be, subtle, but would linger after each bite. If you prefer to have an even subtler orange sensation, by all means let it run through a sieve. Oh, and the new blowtorch behaved nicely and caramelized the sugar in no time. I have a new friend!

~Recipe~

Ingredients
480 ml heavy cream
240 ml whole milk
Grated zest from two oranges
12 large egg yolks
100 g sugar
½ vanilla bean​
Directions
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, and orange zest, the seeds and empty vanilla bean till it reaches a temperature of 60°C (steam begins to rise). Take off heat, remove the empty vanilla bean, and stir occasionally, until the cream mixture cools to room temperature, around 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Have 6 ramekins ready.
- While the cream mixture is cooling, in a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and the 100 g sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and thoroughly blended with the yolks. Gently whisk in the cream mixture.
- Pour into ramekins to be placed in a large cake pan or roasting pan. Fill it up with hot water to come halfways up the ramekins. Bake until the custards are firm, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Prior to serving sprinkle a thin layer of sugar over each ramekin and melt with a blowtorch to get a nice, golden, crisp sugar lid.​

Recipe from Jeff Morgan

orangecremebrulee2.jpg

...The chocolate and butter mixture was so thick, it almost broke my whisk especially when I added the flour, but I didn't put more than it said.

btw, I must never eat chocolate in the evening. I couldn't sleep all night lol.
Hmm that sounds strange. Melted chocolate and melted butter should be really runny?? Maybe it's the type of chocolate or an odd tempature when melting? Please let us know how the second attempt goes if you are gonna try. I wanna learn from this as well :p

Are there any books / youtube channels that has helped yourself improve your baking? More often than not, I find myself just following recipes step-by-step , without knowing the actual science behind the process.
If you took a look at what I produced after year 1, it was brownish stuff as well. Chocolate cakes, cupcakes and brownies are accessible and natural place to start the journey. And of course there isn't much you can do to present a brownie, add some powdered sugar, sure, but anything else and people wouldn't know it's a brownie. I think a good step up from brown stuff is perhaps layered cakes. Buttercreams are versatile, and can be used to decorate cakes in a lot of ways, plus all that real estate on cakes gives you the ability to experiment with the decoration.

And screwing up on recipe you've done previously is part of life. Today I made my bittersweet chocolate mousse for the 117th time, but managed to overheat the chocolate and screw up mousse. How did I know it was overheating? Because I've made that mistake before, but this time I knew what to look after and discarded the batch before screwing up the entire cake... The science behind it is big and scary. Sometimes I do lots of research before tackling a cake to make sure I avoid any mistakes, but othertimes I just have to trust the recipe. What I'm currently doing is trying to specialize in certain elements(mousses, spongecakes, buttercream). Then if I run into a cake I want to make, but it's out of my leaque, I can at least substitute with elements I feel confident in.
Good luck as always!

Wow, those look phenomenal. I definitely want to try both.

Do you post these on a blog?
Thanks a lot! And please go ahead, they are some of the easiest and most forgiven desserts, but the taste is not comprimised at all. And I do have a blog, but I'm still working on launching it. It's just that everytime I have a day off it either work on blog or make cake...

Easy_G

what do i do with marscapone?

I've found it's amazing on pizza just so long as you add it towards the end so it doesn't burn. My favorite pizza is thin crust with tomato sauce, mascarpone, prosciutto, and arugula. I also use it in polenta after cooking the polenta to add since creaminess.

I haven't used it in desserts, but since it's a bit sweet it is probably good there too.

Easy_G

Bitter Orange Crème Brûlée

orangecremebrulee1.jpg

New blowtorch and ramekins for christmas + oranges in season = Orange Crème Brûlée. I was very excited about making these as I wanted to test out the efficiency(and safety as the last one nearly burned my hand) of my new blowtorch, but also to feed my curiosity of the orange flavour in this dessert. You usually run the mixture through a sieve to avoid any lumps that sometimes come from the yolks, but I wanted to keep the zest in the mixture and just quickly searched it for any lumps. The orange flavour was just as I wanted it to be, subtle, but would linger after each bite. If you prefer to have an even subtler orange sensation, by all means let it run through a sieve. Oh, and the new blowtorch behaved nicely and caramelized the sugar in no time. I have a new friend!

~Recipe~

Ingredients
480 ml heavy cream
240 ml whole milk
Grated zest from two oranges
12 large egg yolks
100 g sugar
½ vanilla bean​
Directions
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, and orange zest, the seeds and empty vanilla bean till it reaches a temperature of 60°C (steam begins to rise). Take off heat, remove the empty vanilla bean, and stir occasionally, until the cream mixture cools to room temperature, around 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Have 6 ramekins ready.
- While the cream mixture is cooling, in a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and the 100 g sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved and thoroughly blended with the yolks. Gently whisk in the cream mixture.
- Pour into ramekins to be placed in a large cake pan or roasting pan. Fill it up with hot water to come halfways up the ramekins. Bake until the custards are firm, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Prior to serving sprinkle a thin layer of sugar over each ramekin and melt with a blowtorch to get a nice, golden, crisp sugar lid.​

Recipe from Jeff Morgan

orangecremebrulee2.jpg

Amazing. I've tried creme brulee a couple times and found it was fairly easy, but you may indoor be to try it with since additions.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
went to melt the chocolate with butter (and not in the microwave since I don't have one, just in a pan). ... The chocolate and butter mixture was so thick, it almost broke my whisk especially when I added the flour

This is likely the biggest contributor to the problems you had. You never want to melt chocolate on direct heat like that. It's very sensitive to temperature, and despite keeping a close eye on it, the chocolate will seize up - which is essentially what you described happening - if heated even slightly too far (120f/~48c in the case of your 100% choc). Gotta do it over a double boiler or intermittently in a microwave, and make sure you're chopping the chocolate up into pretty small and somewhat uniform sized bits so that it melts evenly and spends less time over heat.

Initially, I suspected the eggs may have also been a problem with the cake not rising, but the recipe doesn't look like it calls for any actual whipping to create volume or folding ingredients together, so you can probably rule that out.

Natetan

So the boyfriend made some homemade eggnog, like last night. No idea why he made it after the holiday season, but i was trying to think of a creative way to use up a lot of it.

So I thought egg nog cake. Surely someone beat me to it

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/eggnog-cake-2

I cut down the sugar and used oil instead of butter. Cake turned out super moist, almost too moist.

I ignored the recipe directions for making the icing, and essentially made a roux icing (lol). I melted the butter and sugar and then whisked in flour til it thickened. Then added the egg nog when you would normally add turkey dripings for gravy. Then cooled it down in the fridge and voila, I had cake icing. so much easier than whipping butter with sugar i think.

Anyway, it turned out pretty good! But no instead of just a bunch of egg nog i dont want, i have a huge egg nog cake i cant eat all of...

Gibbo

Yeah only kinda got the melting chocolate part recently myself, when i had to do 60 chocolate coated cake balls for a wedding.

as mentioned in the earlier post, you would want to melt it via the double boiler method. Also make sure that your pan is 100% free of moisture before starting

When you see the chocolate almost melting completely (ie mostly liquid with few chocolate bits in there) , it would be the ideal time to remove it from the heat source. Continue stiring till completely liquid. I used to keep it on the heat source until its completely liquid- but by then you would have overheated the chocolat- making it very tough to handle.

Gibbo

Anyway thanks for the tips Brias and Metroid Killer. MK your stuff never fails to inspire me- made the orange mousse in the orange shell receipe (which you posted) for a gathering and it was quite a hit. Will post pics when im back from work

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (January)

Leopard Joconde Imprime Pineapple Cake

leopardcake1.jpg

leopardcake2.jpg

This is one of my favorite cakes that I've come up with. It not only taste amazing (for some reason the word 'sex' is always uttered when serving this cake...), but it looks like no other cake because of the leopard jonconde imprime. I tend to switch between mango and pineapple mousse whenever I make the cake, I guess it depends on which fruit is in season at the time. I prefer mango mousse, but pineapple mousse fits better with the upside-down pineapple cake. As long as it's some tropical fruit mousse I think it fits the theme of the cake.
It is of course a very labour intensive cake. Between waiting for cakes to cool and mousses to set, expect to spend up to 5 hours in the kitchen. I don't really find any of the elements of the cake to be particularly difficult to make. But it's just there are so much of it, that you can easily overlook a detail or two. As always you want to make sure you've read the recipe thoroughly twice before starting baking.
The pineapple in the cake does make it taste exotic, and the chocolate mousse complement it perfectly. With all that soft mousse the joconde imprime does a really good job at offering some more bite to the cake.

leopardcake3.jpg

leopardcake4.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 24 cm cake, 12-15 servings

Ingredients
Upside-down Pineapple Cake
150 g fresh pineapple
120 g sugar
60 g butter, room temperature
1 large egg
60 g flour
½ tsp vanilla extract

Cocoa Décor Paste
50 g butter, room temperature
50 g powdered sugar
50 g eggwhite (around 2 eggs, save the yolks for later)
15 g cocoa powder
43 g flour

Joconde Sponge
100 g eggwhite (around 3 eggs, save the yolks for later)
10 g sugar
100 g almond flour
80 g powdered sugar
30 g flour
2 egg yolks
30 g butter, melted

Chocolate Mousse
125 g 70% chocolate
250 ml cream
1 tbsp sugar

Pineapple Mousse
500 ml cream
350 g pineapple
70 g sugar
6 gelatin sheets

Apricot Glaze
125 g apricot jam
1 tbsp water​

Directions
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line parchment paper in a 22 cm spring-form.
- In a small sauce pan, make a caramel with 60 g sugar and 1-2 tbsp of water on low heat. Once it becomes golden in color pour at the bottom of the spring-form. Cut the pineapple into chunks and place on the caramel.
- Beat butter and the remaining 60 g sugar light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again. Add flour and beat at low speed. Spread out over the pineapples. It will look like there's not enough batter, but just make sure to spread out the batter as far to the edges as you can and the oven heat will make sure the batter 'melts' through the pineapples and into place.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and let it cool on a baking rack while making the joconde imprime.

Cocoa Décor Paste
- Beat butter and sugar light and fluffy. Add eggwhites gradually. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa.
- Transfer batter to piping bag and pipe out onto a cookie sheet(on parchment paper) or silicone mat creating the brown circles of the leopard pattern.
- Place in freezer until it's fairly firm(20-30 mins).

Joconde Sponge
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Whip eggwhites and sugar to stiff peaks and set aside. In another bowl sift almond flour, powdered sugar and flour and mix. Add the ~7 egg yolks gradually. Fold in 1/3 of the eggwhite mixture and then the remaining 2/3. Finally fold in the melted butter(mustn't be too hot).
- Pour the batter over the frozen décor pattern so that it covers all holes, etc.
- Bake for 8 mins in 250C. The cake should bounce back when poked by a finger after being baked. Keep an eye on it though 8 minutes is goes quickly and +/- 1 minute means a lot. Remove from oven and let it cool a bit.

- Now it's time to assemble the cake parts. Place the upside-down pineapple cake on the serving plate in the center of a 24 cm cake ring(you can use a springform as well). Next we need to cut out the joconde imprime at the appropriate height and length. The strips need to be 6 cm high and you want the strips be as long as possible. In the end you should have to use 2 long strips and then a shortened 3rd piece. You want to use as few strips as possible to avoid unnecessary creaves.
- So layout the joconde imprime with the leopard pattern facing up and meassure a lot of 6 cm high strips with a ruler and cut them out with a sharp knife. There should be enough so that you don't have to use the dry/burned edges. Just remember that it's better to have too much joconde imprime as a ring as it will create a preassure holding the cake together).
- Line the strips in the 24 cm cake ring, fitting down around the upside-down pineapple cake. Be careful not to bend the joconde imprime too much as you handle it as it can easily crack (especially if baked too much). Use any excessive joconde imprime cake to fit any holes between the upside-down pineapple cake and the joconde imprime.

Chocolate Mousse
- Chop the chocolate fine and melt over a hot waterbath. Once melted, remove from the the bath to cool off slightly.
- Whip the cream and sugar into whipped cream.
- Pour the chocolate into the whipped cream while folding.
- Spread out evenly on the upside-down pineapple cake, and set the cake to cool for at least 30 minutes.

Pineapple Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, purée the pineapple and sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth. Then heat the pineapple in a small sauce pan to break down the enzyme, bromelain, denaturing the enzyme's ability to break the strands of protein which we need for our mousse. Bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a large bowl to cool down.
- Once it doesn't hurt to poke a finger into the pineapple mixture, drain the gelatin from water and stir into the pineapple mixture.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, then fold 1/3 into the pineapple mixture, then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- If the mousse is thick enough pour it over the chocolate mousse and even it out at the top of the joconde imprime. If the mousse is too runny, refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to let it set somewhat. Cool for at least 1 hour before applying the glaze.

Apricot Glaze
- In a small sauce pan heat apricot jam and water over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and strain through a fine strainer to remove any apricot lumps. Let cool until it is only slightly warm and then glaze the cake.
- Let the cake set in the refrigerator, so that the pineapple mousse has at least been cooled for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight. Before serving remove the cake ring and decorate with chocolate chips, dried fruit, coconut shreds etc.​
Cake inspired by Stef de Fla

leopardcake5.jpg

leopardcake6.jpg

Taiwanese Pineapple Cakes

taiwanpineapplecakes1.jpg

I blindly went into baking these cakes, as I've never eaten, let alone heard about them. But they are apparently rather popular in some asian countries and they certainly sounded interesting to me. Luckily they taste good as well, now that I've tried them out. Unfortunately I skipped out on filling the cakes too much as I found the filling to be overly sweet, which it is on its own, but I realize that you want the filling to counter the shortcrust pastry which can dry out your mouth unless held back. So please don't use my pictures as a visual guide.
Nevertheless the dough was amazing, extremely forgiving when kneading and forming into the cakes. And after baking it was crunchy on the outside, but melted once you took a bite. Now I want to find a shop with square molds so that I can make the next batch look even better.

~Recipe~
Yields: 12-15 cakes

Ingredients
Pineapple Filling
600 g fresh pineapple
100 g sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
100 g glucose syrup

Shortcrust Pastry Dough
250 g butter, room temperature
75 g condensed milk
2 egg yolks
375 g flour
1 or 2 egg yolks for egg wash​
Directions
- Blend pineapple to a smooth purée(use the core as well, lots of good fibre in it). Then let it simmer in a medium sauce pan on medium heat, stirring once in a while, until the mixture appears dry.
- Add sugar and cinnamon and continue sitrring until the juice is absorbed and it appears dry again.
- Finally add the glucose syrup and cook again until dry and sticky.
- The whole process of cooking the filling takes roughly an hour depending on how juice the pineapple is. It's ready when the mixture comes together when you stir and push. Transfer to a container and store in the fridge while making the pastry dough.

Shortcrust Pastry Dough
-Beat butter and condensed milk until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time and continue beating at high speed. Add sifted flour in 2 or more batches while mixing at low speed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cool for 20 minutes. Meanwhile take the cooled pineapple filling out of the fridge and roll into small balls of around 2-3 cm in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into equal pieces corresponding to the pineapple filling. Flatten the dough in your hands. The edges need to be thinner than the center. Place the filling in the middle and seal the dough around it and roll it in your hands. The dough is very easy to work with so you don't need to flour your hands.
- Form in molds or just leave them be as round cakes. Brush with egg yolk and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on rack before serving.​

taiwanpineapplecakes2.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is likely the biggest contributor to the problems you had. You never want to melt chocolate on direct heat like that. It's very sensitive to temperature, and despite keeping a close eye on it, the chocolate will seize up - which is essentially what you described happening - if heated even slightly too far (120f/~48c in the case of your 100% choc). Gotta do it over a double boiler or intermittently in a microwave, and make sure you're chopping the chocolate up into pretty small and somewhat uniform sized bits so that it melts evenly and spends less time over heat.

Initially, I suspected the eggs may have also been a problem with the cake not rising, but the recipe doesn't look like it calls for any actual whipping to create volume or folding ingredients together, so you can probably rule that out.

I see, that must have been it. Next time I'll do as you say, thanks!

Metroid: That leopard cake has got to be one of the nicest cakes I have ever seen:) The pineapple cakes look delicious too.

BTW you might want to get yourself a 3D printer. 3D Printed candies!
pUiULQx.jpg

Wow! They don't look exactly like bo lo bao (is that what they're supposed to be) but they still look delicious. The closest analog to the Pineapple Cakes is a Mexican pastry called pan dulce (http://www.askchefdennis.com/2011/09/pan-dulce-brioche-dough-part-2/)

The top is this crumbly kinda dry sugary thing and the bottom is an airy, eggy, buttery, brioche thing.
Actually they are not. But I can see why you confused them for bo lo bao, as I shaped them exactly like that. They are called feng li su, and are not a two part bun like the bo lo bao, plus they got the pineapple filling.

Here's how the classic feng li su should look like
dtf_pineapple1.jpg

Oooh that kind of pineapple cake! Those are pretty damn good. Now i have a craving for them but i don't like to have them around the house or I end up eating too many.

DC R1D3R

Banned
----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (January)

Leopard Joconde Imprime Pineapple Cake

leopardcake1.jpg

leopardcake2.jpg

This is one of my favorite cakes that I've come up with. It not only taste amazing (for some reason the word 'sex' is always uttered when serving this cake...), but it looks like no other cake because of the leopard jonconde imprime. I tend to switch between mango and pineapple mousse whenever I make the cake, I guess it depends on which fruit is in season at the time. I prefer mango mousse, but pineapple mousse fits better with the upside-down pineapple cake. As long as it's some tropical fruit mousse I think it fits the theme of the cake.
It is of course a very labour intensive cake. Between waiting for cakes to cool and mousses to set, expect to spend up to 5 hours in the kitchen. I don't really find any of the elements of the cake to be particularly difficult to make. But it's just there are so much of it, that you can easily overlook a detail or two. As always you want to make sure you've read the recipe thoroughly twice before starting baking.
The pineapple in the cake does make it taste exotic, and the chocolate mousse complement it perfectly. With all that soft mousse the joconde imprime does a really good job at offering some more bite to the cake.

leopardcake3.jpg

leopardcake4.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 24 cm cake, 12-15 servings

Ingredients
150 g fresh pineapple
120 g sugar
60 g butter, room temperature
1 large egg
60 g flour
½ tsp vanilla extract

Cocoa Décor Paste
50 g butter, room temperature
50 g powdered sugar
50 g eggwhite (around 2 eggs, save the yolks for later)
15 g cocoa powder
43 g flour

Joconde Sponge
100 g eggwhite (around 3 eggs, save the yolks for later)
10 g sugar
100 g almond flour
80 g powdered sugar
30 g flour
2 egg yolks
30 g butter, melted

Chocolate Mousse
125 g 70% chocolate
250 ml cream
1 tbsp sugar

Pineapple Mousse
500 ml cream
350 g pineapple
70 g sugar
6 gelatin sheets

Apricot Glaze
125 g apricot jam
1 tbsp water​

Directions
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line parchment paper in a 22 cm spring-form.
- In a small sauce pan, make a caramel with 60 g sugar and 1-2 tbsp of water on low heat. Once it becomes golden in color pour at the bottom of the spring-form. Cut the pineapple into chunks and place on the caramel.
- Beat butter and the remaining 60 g sugar light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again. Add flour and beat at low speed. Spread out over the pineapples. It will look like there's not enough batter, but just make sure to spread out the batter as far to the edges as you can and the oven heat will make sure the batter 'melts' through the pineapples and into place.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and let it cool on a baking rack while making the joconde imprime.

Cocoa Décor Paste
- Beat butter and sugar light and fluffy. Add eggwhites gradually. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa.
- Transfer batter to piping bag and pipe out onto a cookie sheet(on parchment paper) or silicone mat creating the brown circles of the leopard pattern.
- Place in freezer until it's fairly firm(20-30 mins).

Joconde Sponge
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Whip eggwhites and sugar to stiff peaks and set aside. In another bowl sift almond flour, powdered sugar and flour and mix. Add the ~7 egg yolks gradually. Fold in 1/3 of the eggwhite mixture and then the remaining 2/3. Finally fold in the melted butter(mustn't be too hot).
- Pour the batter over the frozen décor pattern so that it covers all holes, etc.
- Bake for 8 mins in 250C. The cake should bounce back when poked by a finger after being baked. Keep an eye on it though 8 minutes is goes quickly and +/- 1 minute means a lot. Remove from oven and let it cool a bit.

- Now it's time to assemble the cake parts. Place the upside-down pineapple cake on the serving plate in the center of a 24 cm cake ring(you can use a springform as well). Next we need to cut out the joconde imprime at the appropriate height and length. The strips need to be 6 cm high and you want the strips be as long as possible. In the end you should have to use 2 long strips and then a shortened 3rd piece. You want to use as few strips as possible to avoid unnecessary creaves.
- So layout the joconde imprime with the leopard pattern facing up and meassure a lot of 6 cm high strips with a ruler and cut them out with a sharp knife. There should be enough so that you don't have to use the dry/burned edges. Just remember that it's better to have too much joconde imprime as a ring as it will create a preassure holding the cake together).
- Line the strips in the 24 cm cake ring, fitting down around the upside-down pineapple cake. Be careful not to bend the joconde imprime too much as you handle it as it can easily crack (especially if baked too much). Use any excessive joconde imprime cake to fit any holes between the upside-down pineapple cake and the joconde imprime.

Chocolate Mousse
- Chop the chocolate fine and melt over a hot waterbath. Once melted, remove from the the bath to cool off slightly.
- Whip the cream and sugar into whipped cream.
- Pour the chocolate into the whipped cream while folding.
- Spread out evenly on the upside-down pineapple cake, and set the cake to cool for at least 30 minutes.

Pineapple Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, purée the pineapple and sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth. Then heat the pineapple in a small sauce pan to break down the enzyme, bromelain, denaturing the enzyme's ability to break the strands of protein which we need for our mousse. Bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a large bowl to cool down.
- Once it doesn't hurt to poke a finger into the pineapple mixture, drain the gelatin from water and stir into the pineapple mixture.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, then fold 1/3 into the pineapple mixture, then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- If the mousse is thick enough pour it over the chocolate mousse and even it out at the top of the joconde imprime. If the mousse is too runny, refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to let it set somewhat. Cool for at least 1 hour before applying the glaze.

Apricot Glaze
- In a small sauce pan heat apricot jam and water over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and strain through a fine strainer to remove any apricot lumps. Let cool until it is only slightly warm and then glaze the cake.
- Let the cake set in the refrigerator, so that the pineapple mousse has at least been cooled for 5-6 hours, preferably overnight. Before serving remove the cake ring and decorate with chocolate chips, dried fruit, coconut shreds etc.​
Cake inspired by Stef de Fla

leopardcake5.jpg

leopardcake6.jpg

OMG

U R something else!

Thank you so much. Probably the best thing I've ever seen. And I'm an apple man!

^Thanks for the comment man, means a lot to me!

A few days ago I cooked pork cheeks for the first time in my life. My god it was heavenly! I browned the cheeks, browned some vegetables(onions, carrots, parsnip, zucchini and potatoes), then braised it all in Porter beer, apple juice, muscovado sugar and beef stock for 4 hours.

porkcheeks2.jpg

porkcheeks3.jpg

porkcheeks4.jpg

porkcheeks1.jpg

Served with mixed lettuce hasselback potatoes, and the most wonderful brown sauce from the stock. But those cheeks, they were like butter I tell you! At some point my girlfriend forked a piece from the plate and it fell apart. That was not the last time I made pork cheeks!

Also made a chocolate cake on a whim yesterday. I rely too much on the same true and tired chocolate cake, so I feel I need to expand and try out a bigger range of chocolate cakes. This one used condensed milk instead of sugar and milk, and no eggs. But I honestly had a difficult time comparing it to my standard choco cake, perhaps a wee bit lighter(as the recipe promised). It was a really good chocolate cake of course and you can never have too many of those. Expect a lot of them in the future!

lightchocolatecake1.jpg

lightchocolatecake2.jpg

One awesome looking cake!

Try a recipe that blends both chocolate and carob? It might be good, or it may explode the world---only logical answer for the maligned carob in the world of desserts.

Gibbo

metriod killer - what would you regard as the best chocolate cake and butter cookies that youve baked? chinese new year is around the corner and id like to make some stuff for visitors- instead of buying everything from the store.

One awesome looking cake!

Try a recipe that blends both chocolate and carob? It might be good, or it may explode the world---only logical answer for the maligned carob in the world of desserts.
hmm could be interesting. Though I have never tasted carob before, but I really want to.

metriod killer - what would you regard as the best chocolate cake and butter cookies that youve baked? chinese new year is around the corner and id like to make some stuff for visitors- instead of buying everything from the store.
I don't have much experience with butter cookies(which is a shame considering they are a speciality i Dnemark), but for chocolate cakes I have yet to find one that beats this one in taste and versatility: click, the recipe is for a rather large cake, and will make for 3 x 9 inch chocolate cakes.

Metroid killer. Pork cheeks are the best, glad you've discovered them.

Question bout your frosting though, can you share a recipe? I love good frosting but buttercreams are never soft enough and most ganaches suffer the same problem.

hmm could be interesting. Though I have never tasted carob before, but I really want to.

If you fare as well/poorly as me, your options are in powder form(good on ice cream/cinnamon rolls!) via an International-Minded Farmer's Market...the Dekalb Farmer's Market down here in GA in my case....and in chip form either from some random boutique company in an Herb shop---or just get a bag and/or canister of Chatfield's:

http://www.chatfieldsbrand.com/

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Question bout your frosting though, can you share a recipe? I love good frosting but buttercreams are never soft enough and most ganaches suffer the same problem.

Straight buttercream frosting kind of grosses me out; it's far too heavy and sweet. You want Italian buttercream. I never use anything else, unless I need to do decorative piping, where Italian buttercream is a bit too soft and airy for the task.

rossonero

Wow Metroid Killer, those taiwanese cakes *homerdrool* I'll definitely try to make them sometime!

Does anybody know a good fried rice recipe? And also a good bulgur recipe? There is a food place here that serves the best adana and their bulgur is awesome. It's so smooth and tasty, just look at it:

vegetarisk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom