• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'll keep that in mind for the future.

That was the first time I had brussel sprouts and I quite like them actually! There were some bitterness but it was more a savoury kind instead of being overbearing. Pairs wells with some salty speck and the sweet glazed pork.

Yeah, Brussels sprouts are good. If they were your first then you did good by roasting them.

^-- Those zucchini are quite large.

3.5lbs each! Ended up making qayle kadu, which is a savory zucchini puree, I think Afghani or Persian. We sliced and salted some of our fresh cucumbers and used them with the dip. Tasty, if not exactly photogenic.

Will make zucchini bread today.

Yes Boss!

Made some Madeleines this weekend. Flavored with lemon zest, vanilla and Gran Marnier.

583C4ADE-4281-4C0A-A559-A20A7B55E580_zpsusoeiaey.jpg

Rookje

The base for two of us along with a portion for leftovers was:

1 cup arborio rice
1 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 shallot
butter + bacon fat
s+p
Y'all know basically how to make risotto, yeah? Some recipes push it to 15-20 minutes total cooking time, I like to stretch mine closer to 40. Whatever works for you, as long as the rice is fully cooked.

Sautee about 3/4lb assorted mushrooms with a little sage, thyme, and chili flake, and add it into the mostly finished risotto. I also used some caramelized onion and fresh peas (just a couple minutes in the hot risotto is all the cooking the peas need). Mix in a bunch of grated parm and an optional splash of cream. Topped with chopped bacon, more parm, and a few fried mushrooms.
What white wine do you use?

I usually use dry vermouth because it keeps longer. I don't always want to drink all the white wine after I cook with it.

3.5lbs each! Ended up making qayle kadu, which is a savory zucchini puree, I think Afghani or Persian. We sliced and salted some of our fresh cucumbers and used them with the dip. Tasty, if not exactly photogenic.

Will make zucchini bread today.

Do you have a recipe for the zucchini puree? I used to grow zucchini, but may have to stop just because we end up with so much zucchini and they're so big, we don't know what to do with it, but this puree thing sounds promising.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was a busy boy this weekend. I made a huge ass pot of high protein chicken chili (trying to get back in shape) and another one of beef one. And since that wasn't enough, I also tried my luck with something a bit sweeter for whenever I have people coming over.

About the chicken chili: I used this recipe I found on the internet. I have never tried to make chili, so I was kind of fearful about the final result. Also, I don't have a proper crock pot, but a programmable muticooker, which is a bit different.

I changed the original recipe on a number of points, such as using dried and rehydrated black beans instead of canned ones and adding a couple of extra ingredients (a mix of tasty fungi and some white wine). Results were at first quite underwhelming.

Random observations:

• First things first, the chicken was dry as hell. I'm not sure if that was because I overdid it in the oven, but the next time I'll try to get it minced and brown it in the pan instead.
  • I also massively miscalculated the amount of beans, since once rehydrated they weight (and measure!) about twice as much as dry. This means that the overall flavour of the chili was extra-beany. Not very nice, TBH. This could have probably resolved by using canned beans. I added some beef extract to fix this.
  • The beans were way too firm at first, to the point that I had to set the pressure to the maximum level and let it rip for three hours more. Again, rookie mistake.
  • Spicy peppers are kind of rare here, but I decided to replace the optional Jalapeños with a habanero. BIG MISTAKE. That thing is hot as hell. I only added half of it, but combined with the Sriracha and the black pepper it made of a super spicy chili. Luckily enough, that extra cooking cycle followed by letting it sit overnight managed to fix some of the extra hotness. It's still probably unbearably hot for anyone who doesn't look this kind of stuff.

RII9Di1.jpg

That's all the habanero I added. Nothing more.

• The fungi were completely wasted :( I love all kinds of mushrooms and used a super savoury mix of them, but the long cooking cycle combined with the spices basically killed them.

In the end I mostly managed to fix it and the final result goes well with plain white pasta and rice (which also softens the hotness of the deadly Sriracha/habanero combination). I think I made about 4 kg of chili, which is quite a massive amount. I put most of it in plastic containers and into the freezer it went.

With that knowledge gained, I skipped the fungi and the Sriracha for my batch of beef chili, which used rehydrated pinto beans instead of black beans. It turned it pretty damn good. Still spicy as hell (that habanero is the stuff of the nightmares), but also pretty tasty. I browned the minced beef in the pan, put everything together in the pot and that was the end of it.
100Y1j0.jpg

Before cooking.

• I think I got around 4 kg of beef chili, which means my freezer is now 100% full and I had to take some space in the main refrigerator (I'm basically going to eat beef chili for the rest of the week if I don't want it to go bad).
  • Another rookie mistake: It turns out that pinto beans balloon the heck out during rehydration, even more than black ones. Now I have about 3 kg of rehydrated beans that I cannot use because I've run out of freezer space and I can't eat any more beans :( At least they are cheap as dirt...

Now, since I need to find excuses to satisfy my sweet tooth, I made a batch of drunken peaches intended as dessert for those times when I have friends coming over for dinner. Drunken peaches are a pretty common recipe over here. They are super easy to make, on top of incredibly tasty.

Quick instructions:

• Peel 8 peaches. They need to be ripe, but not preserve-like ripped. A bit firm, still.

• Mix 1200 ml of water with 500 grams of sugar in a large pot.
6P7W6r2.jpg

It's fruit, so it must be healthy. So I tell myself.

• Put the pot to boil while stirring the mix with a wooden spoon so it turns into syrup.
  • Once it's boiling, lower to medium heath, add the peaches (with their seeds or already chopped, it's up to you; I left them entire because I prefer them that way), two large twigs of cinnamon (not powder!) and the entire peel of a big lemon.

• Peaches must be covered and the syrup must boil very slowly. Once it's starts to bubble, add 500 ml of red wine. You don't have to use anything expensive, but remember that bad wine always results in bad food. Just make sure it has a strong (but not coarse) taste. Some people add some brandy for an extra kick. It's up to you, really.

• Let the mix boil very slowly for a minimum of 20 minutes so the alcohol evaporates and the peaches become infused with winey syrup.
  • Once the peaches are soft (but not necessarily mushy; you are supposed to eat them with fork and knife) you can take them out of the pot and put them inside of a big jar.
  • Filter the syrup to remove any small bits of cinnamon and lemon peel and cover the peaches with it. It's up to you to leave the big chunks of cinnamon and the lemon peel inside of the jar. I did it for extra flavour. They also look pretty.

Now, you can eat the peaches as soon as they cool off (remember to serve them fresh; keep them in the fridge for a few hours before they are going to be eaten), but ideally you need to have them a couple of days inside of the jar so they take all the flavour of the syrup and become a bit softer.

Even better: since the syrup is slightly acidic and high on sugar, you can easily make your own drunken peaches preserve by sterilising and vacuuming the jars. They last for months that way. I've eaten six month old drunken peaches and they were still delicious.

zzp2JM3.jpg

Canned butts.

You'll probably end with diabetes *a lot* of unused syrup. Don't waste it. We are in summer, so get a big bowl and use it to make the most bombass sangría. You'll thank me later.

^-- They kind of do look like butts, haha. I bet the syrup would be good with some ice and club soda.

Tofu scramble for dinner with onions, kale, green bean. Using the Indian black salt (aka fart salt) really gave it a nice eggy taste.
Had it with some charred padron peppers and sliced tomatoes dressed w/ olive oil and sherry vinegar.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Yesterday I made hake with veggies. It doesn't look great (phone picture and everything), but it was *delicious*. I basically made a bed of finely minced onion, sliced zucchini and a small amount of fried tomato sauce. Then I added the hake, a glass of white wine, a can of peas and a jar of fungi. I also used some powdered fish stock, black pepper and a few leafs of laurel for extra flavour.

Once done (about 20 minutes using my multicooker), I added a fistful of shrimp fried with four finely sliced garlic cloves and a teaspoon of mild paprika. The result was *spectacular*. Like, insanely good. Tasty, flavourful and very healthy
, although since I'm a cheap ass on a diet *and* on a budget I used frozen hake and shrimps.

An amazing way to enrich my diet with some fish protein besides tuna and sardines.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Yesterday I made hake with veggies. It doesn't look great (phone picture and everything), but it was *delicious*. I basically made a bed of finely minced onion, sliced zucchini and a small amount of fried tomato sauce. Then I added the hake, a glass of white wine, a can of peas and a jar of fungi. I also used some powdered fish stock, black pepper and a few leafs of laurel for extra flavour.

Once done (about 20 minutes using my multicooker), I added a fistful of shrimp fried with four finely sliced garlic cloves and a teaspoon of mild paprika. The result was *spectacular*. Like, insanely good. Tasty, flavourful and very healthy
, although since I'm a cheap ass on a diet *and* on a budget I used frozen hake and shrimps.

An amazing way to enrich my diet with some fish protein besides tuna and sardines.
Ok, so I'm interested in this because I just recently got a multicooker, as I think you are aware.

I've made a few pots of rice and quinoa so far, but nothing fancy. I'm pretty special needs when it comes to the culinary arts and I've had to accept the reality that, for as much as a multicooker can do, I cannot just set it on the counter and yell at it to make me dinner- I still have to know how to put something together, how long to cook it, and so on.

In the case of this dish, did you basically just lay the vegetables on the bottom of the pot, throw some hake fillets on there, toss in a glass of wine, some fungi(??), peas, flavoring, and cook it? Do you not use any water? Are you cooking it on high pressure? How do you determine how long you cook it for?

Also, why add the garlic and paprika after cooking instead of before?

le-seb

Ok, so I'm interested in this because I just recently got a multicooker, as I think you are aware.

I've made a few pots of rice and quinoa so far, but nothing fancy. I'm pretty special needs when it comes to the culinary arts and I've had to accept the reality that, for as much as a multicooker can do, I cannot just set it on the counter and yell at it to make me dinner- I still have to know how to put something together, how long to cook it, and so on.

In the case of this dish, did you basically just lay the vegetables on the bottom of the pot, throw some hake fillets on there, toss in a glass of wine, some fungi(??), peas, flavoring, and cook it? Do you not use any water? Are you cooking it on high pressure? How do you determine how long you cook it for?

Can only give some basic clues and guesses:
- cooked and raw garlic are two very different beasts; cooked garlic is soft and sweet, while it's pretty strong when it's still raw
- many spices, like paprika, lose (some of) their aromas when cooked; that's why you generally add them at the very end of the cooking process
- 10-15 minutes cooking at low temp would be pretty standard for this kind of (delicate) fishes; you'll need to take into account the time needed to cook the vegetables, and another 5-10 minutes sounds about right (just make sure you don't cook fishes for too long, otherwise they'll probably become chewy)
- whether you cook in bouillon or with steam, you don't need much water/liquid when cooking at low temp; the glass of (white) wine and the fish stock would suffice. If you cook in bouillon, however, it should almost top the meal (which seems to be the case on Funky Papa's picture).
And yes, there are plenty of delicious meals you can prepare by just throwing things together in the cooking pot and let the magic happens.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Good news: you can *almost* set the multicooker and yell at it to make you dinner.

This the step by step guide of my recipe (which was 100% improvised, BTW)

• Thaw the hake (I used about 400 grams) and the shrimps if they are frozen
  • Chop an entire onion. The finer the better. Drop a tiny amount of oil at the bottom of the pot and then lay all the onions, as in making a bed for the rest of the ingredients.
  • Slice the eggplant. Put half of it on top of the onions. Keep the rest at hand.
  • Add salt, black pepper and half of a cube of fish bouillon/powdered stock. Make sure to ground the bouillon so it spreads evenly. Did it form any clumps? Don't be afraid to mix the veggies with a big spoon.
  • Add some fried tomato sauce. About 100 ml or 1/3 of a glass.
  • Add half of the fungii. I used a small jar of them (similar to this one) and also added the water used to preserve them,which has a ton of flavour
  • Add a two or three leafs of laurel.
  • Salt the hake and lay it on top of all the veggies.
  • Add the rest of the eggplant. Add the rest of the bouillon and some more salt.
  • Add the other half of the fungii
  • Add a generous splash of white wine (totally optional, if you feel like experimenting, try with some good beer)
  • Set your cooker to "fish" and let it rip. My multicooker automatically sets itself to 20 minutes at minimum pressure using the fish programme.
  • While the fish is getting cooked, fry the shrimp with a little bit of oil. I prefer olive oil. Not too much. There's no need to add salt.
  • Once they are half done, add a teaspoon of mild paprika and mix it well so it doesn't form any clumps.
  • Add right away four of five thinly sliced garlic cloves to the pan. It's important to follow this order. Shrimp can endure longer cooking since they have a lot of water, but if you add the garlic at the same time as the shrimp and the paprika, you will probably burn it.
  • Once the garlic slices are slightly yellowy, remove the pan from the heat.
  • Is the fish done? Open the multicooker and add the shrimp with the garlic and any oil there may be left (it will have a ton of flavour from the shrimp, the garlic and the paprika, so don't toss it!)

Bam, you are done. There's no need to add water or anything. Since pressure multicookers trap nearly all the moisture from the food inside of the pot, the water will separate from the veggies and mixed with the wine (again, totally optional) will form some veggie stock in which the hake will cook itself. There is no need to add water *at all*.

The reason to fry the shrimp separately is to make them tastier, as in this way they will keep all the flavour from the garlic and the paprika instead of spreading it all over the food. I simply prefer my shrimp slightly crispy and with an extra kick, but you could always put them in the pot just like that and I'm sure it would still taste great.

As le-seb points out, the beauty of the multicooker is that you can basically throw everything inside the pot and it will make a wondrous meal out of it. Just make sure to cut the garlic before start frying the shrimp or you may burn them by accident while your are busy with the knife.

Also, do not forget the rubber seals and the pressure cap of the multicooker; if it fails to achieve pressure/leaves the moisture out, you will burn your food. I was a complete imbecile and totally forgot to fix this thing one day I was making pulled chicken, which resulted into a mess.

si6otMt.jpg

Luckily enough, the vegetables at the bottom prevented a bigger disaster and the chicken was still edible despite turning most of the onions and peppers into coal. Rookie mistake.

If you feel in need of more dishes, you can adapt any crock pot recipe to work with your multicooker very easily just set the maximum amount of time allowed by your multicooker (you may want to experiment with this; mine doesn't go beyond 180 minutes) and the minimum pressure. I can make some amazing pulled pork setting it to meat mode, minimum pressure and three hours of cooking.

Edit: Don't forget to come here with your impressions once you've tried it.

Edit: Oh my, I used eggplant, *not* zuchinni. I'm generally not a huge fan of zuchinni, actually.

le-seb

Ok GAF, this is my first contribution to this delightful thread, hoping it works.

So that's what I've been eating tonight:

Let's call this Linguine Genovesi alla Seb because it sounds good. :)

Express recipe for one person:
- Thaw two or three prawns for 10 minutes in a bowl of warm water
- Peel them, taking care to remove the gut (it's bitter)
- Pour 80g of dry Linguine Genovesi pastas in 1 ℓ of salted boiling water
- Thinly slice a bit of pink garlic (I've used a third of a clove here)
- Slice a dozen of cherry tomatoes in two
- Using a pan, gently fry the garlic and the prawns together in a spoon of olive oil for 3 minutes, stirring regularly
- Deglaze with 1 cℓ of Pastis (sweet aniseed and liquorice flavoured alcoholic drink)
- Remove the prawns from the pan and replace them with the tomatoes for another 3 minutes
- Add a pinch of herbes de Provence to the tomatoes
- Slice the prawns, drain the pastas and throw them in the pan for 2 minutes
- Serve in a plate, add a dash of olive oil and a pinch of frozen basil
- Enjoy!

Nothing really fancy here, but the prawns/garlic/pastis combo is a must try if you like seafood.

demon

Thanks Funky, some good info there. I'll start experimenting more with my multicooker in the next week.

By the way here's my contribution to the thread.....made an egg strata (aka breakfast casserole) yesterday. Might be the most effort I've ever put into cooking something. Made it with cheddar cheese, diced ham, and sautéed onions mushrooms and spinach.

Do you have a recipe for the zucchini puree? I used to grow zucchini, but may have to stop just because we end up with so much zucchini and they're so big, we don't know what to do with it, but this puree thing sounds promising.

From Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian:

3 T olive oil
1 1/3 C f. chop onion
3 garlic cloves, peeled and f. chop
1/4 t ground turmeric
2 3/4 lbs zucchini, peeled and cut into 1/4 in dice
1 t salt
1 t ground cumin
1/8 t cayenne
black pepper
1 1/2 t tomato paste

Olive oil in med. frying pan or wide saute, medium-high heat, when hot add onion and garlic, stir and saute for 10-12 min until soft. Add turmeric and stir. Remove 1/3 of the onion/garlic mixture and set aside. Add zucchini and salt, stir and cook for 1-2 min, cover, turn heat down to low, cook gently for 10 min or until zucchini soft. Uncover, add cumin, cayenne, black pepper, tomato paste. Mash zucchini with a potato masher right in the pan, allowing it to cook gently. Continue for couple minutes, add reserved onions and mix well. Serve hot, warm room, or chilled.​

We harvested like 12 lbs of cucumbers and more 2.5lbs+ zucchini this morning. What we've been cooking with it follows. Eggplant parm variation with zucchini:

zuch-1.jpg

Zucchini bread:

zuch-2.jpg

Egg, ricotta and zucchini frittata (slightly burned, cough) with Greek salad:

zuch-3.jpg

Bonus, homemade salsa with our own garlic, so good on eggs in the morning:

salsa.jpg

Bonus beagle waiting for frittata to fall on ground in front yard:

bonus-dog.jpg

Yes Boss!

what's your palak paneer recipe? i'm addicted to the stuff from trader joes

This one is my favorite. Mostly because it uses fenugreek (methi). I usually make my own paneer because it is easy: bring a gallon of whole milk boil, shut off and add quarter cup of vinegar to split the curds from the whey, strain, then make a wheel in cheescloth with a small weight on top and let stand for 45 minutes, unwrap and set in the fridge for and hour and then cut it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtPDWTAYpoY

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Thanks Funky, some good info there. I'll start experimenting more with my multicooker in the next week.

By the way here's my contribution to the thread.....made an egg strata (aka breakfast casserole) yesterday. Might be the most effort I've ever put into cooking something. Made it with cheddar cheese, diced ham, and sautéed onions mushrooms and spinach.

Looks good! It's hard to screw anything with ham and cheese, specially in the oven ;)

Bonus beagle waiting for frittata to fall on ground in front yard:

bonus-dog.jpg
Hungry/hopeful dogs always kill me. Our Border Collie makes the most happysad faces when my parents are grilling something in their terrasse.

This one is my favorite. Mostly because it uses fenugreek (methi). I usually make my own paneer because it is easy: bring a gallon of whole milk boil, shut up and add quarter cup of vinegar to split the curds from the whey, strain, then make a wheel in cheescloth with a small weight on top and let stand for 45 minutes, unwrap and set in the fridge for and hour and then cut it up.

No! I refuse to stop talking!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just made a huge batch of protein pancakes following this recipe. They were glorious.

Basically, you just need to mix equal parts by volume of vanilla whey protein powder, 0% Greek yogourt, egg whites and finely ground oats (I used to food processor to save time) and throw the batter into a hot pan. Bam, you are done.

Some observations:

The batter is *really* runny until it heats up, so my first pancake of the batch was a giant mess. The following ones were much better shaped. I added some thinly sliced, ripened banana* to the batter as I was cooking the pancakes for extra sweetness.

I don't have any maple syroup and those are supposed to be PROTEIN PANCAKES (as in for people who are cutting the bad carbs), so I used strawberry puree to make them a bit more moist and sweet. I would have liked to use some Da Vinci's diet caramel syroup, which is *incredible*, but it's impossible to find it over here and I depleted my imported stash a long time ago :(

Ue5jKCs.jpg

Yum! The pancakes are delicious, easy to make and super healthy. They are also very soft, even if they are not exactly fluffy like proper ones, but if you cook them a bit less than I did they will come out surprisingly close to the real thing.

Yeah, I know they also sell premade protein pancake mix and it tastes amazing, but that's because it's loaded with the carbs you are trying to avoid... These ones are awesome and they won't make you pudgy as long as you don't gorge in the every day.

*remember that you can ripen your bananas at home by wrapping them in a newspaper. If you plan to use them for pancakes, I suggest to keep them for a few days until they turn sightly brownish, soft and super sweet.

5B9h80g.jpg

Now we're talking!

Meat: Aidell's Sun-Dried Tomato & Garlic Salame Very awesome and well seasoned---quite glad they've apparently expanded into this realm beyond their fairly decent selection of franks.

Crumble: Tostitos Multi Grain Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Salsa First good salsa chip, with a bit of kick no less, that I've stumbled across in ages.

Cheese: Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp 2+ Year Cheddar Very crumbly, but no slouch versus the rest of the Tillamook line in terms of melting well, good oil, and a nice taste. My mom snagged a bit and deemed to "way too sharp", but as somebody who has never been confronted with a "sharp" sensation of any sort when it comes to any cheese YMMV.

The bit of seasoning is a nifty little Paella blend I was seeing how it reacted to being toasted up a bit---results are promising.

Doing the same this morning! This is my favorite easy 10-minute mix (rather than making my own gravy):

5269BEA9-CFAB-416E-8EA2-78C41E007410_zps5i0chpc2.jpg

Awww man, making gravy is so easy though! I have a pretty good butcher shop right across the street from my apartment. Woke up early and walked over, and the grounded me some fresh breakfast sausage. It was amazing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Running your oven at the lowest temp possible to dry the surface of the meat in order to get a better sear. Works better on convection ovens just got to be careful it doesn't overcook.

So you do that then sear it in the pan? Can I do that for a tbone?

BTW anyone has a recommendation for what to do with a bunch of yellow onions? I need to use them soon or I'll lose them.

BTW anyone has a recommendation for what to do with a bunch of yellow onions? I need to use them soon or I'll lose them.

Not really the season for it, but most any curry, e.g. a Japanese like

http://norecipes.com/karei-raisu-japanese-curry-rice/

When I make my version of this I use almost twice as much onions (four large), half because I love that caramelized onion flavor and half because I'm not putting in chicken, so I fluff up all the vegetables.

demon

Good news: you can *almost* set the multicooker and yell at it to make you dinner.

This the step by step guide of my recipe (which was 100% improvised, BTW)

• Thaw the hake (I used about 400 grams) and the shrimps if they are frozen
  • Chop an entire onion. The finer the better. Drop a tiny amount of oil at the bottom of the pot and then lay all the onions, as in making a bed for the rest of the ingredients.
  • Slice the eggplant. Put half of it on top of the onions. Keep the rest at hand.
  • Add salt, black pepper and half of a cube of fish bouillon/powdered stock. Make sure to ground the bouillon so it spreads evenly. Did it form any clumps? Don't be afraid to mix the veggies with a big spoon.
  • Add some fried tomato sauce. About 100 ml or 1/3 of a glass.
  • Add half of the fungii. I used a small jar of them (similar to this one) and also added the water used to preserve them,which has a ton of flavour
  • Add a two or three leafs of laurel.
  • Salt the hake and lay it on top of all the veggies.
  • Add the rest of the eggplant. Add the rest of the bouillon and some more salt.
  • Add the other half of the fungii
  • Add a generous splash of white wine (totally optional, if you feel like experimenting, try with some good beer)
  • Set your cooker to "fish" and let it rip. My multicooker automatically sets itself to 20 minutes at minimum pressure using the fish programme.
  • While the fish is getting cooked, fry the shrimp with a little bit of oil. I prefer olive oil. Not too much. There's no need to add salt.
  • Once they are half done, add a teaspoon of mild paprika and mix it well so it doesn't form any clumps.
  • Add right away four of five thinly sliced garlic cloves to the pan. It's important to follow this order. Shrimp can endure longer cooking since they have a lot of water, but if you add the garlic at the same time as the shrimp and the paprika, you will probably burn it.
  • Once the garlic slices are slightly yellowy, remove the pan from the heat.
  • Is the fish done? Open the multicooker and add the shrimp with the garlic and any oil there may be left (it will have a ton of flavour from the shrimp, the garlic and the paprika, so don't toss it!)

Bam, you are done. There's no need to add water or anything. Since pressure multicookers trap nearly all the moisture from the food inside of the pot, the water will separate from the veggies and mixed with the wine (again, totally optional) will form some veggie stock in which the hake will cook itself. There is no need to add water *at all*.

The reason to fry the shrimp separately is to make them tastier, as in this way they will keep all the flavour from the garlic and the paprika instead of spreading it all over the food. I simply prefer my shrimp slightly crispy and with an extra kick, but you could always put them in the pot just like that and I'm sure it would still taste great.

As le-seb points out, the beauty of the multicooker is that you can basically throw everything inside the pot and it will make a wondrous meal out of it. Just make sure to cut the garlic before start frying the shrimp or you may burn them by accident while your are busy with the knife.

Also, do not forget the rubber seals and the pressure cap of the multicooker; if it fails to achieve pressure/leaves the moisture out, you will burn your food. I was a complete imbecile and totally forgot to fix this thing one day I was making pulled chicken, which resulted into a mess.

si6otMt.jpg

Luckily enough, the vegetables at the bottom prevented a bigger disaster and the chicken was still edible despite turning most of the onions and peppers into coal. Rookie mistake.

If you feel in need of more dishes, you can adapt any crock pot recipe to work with your multicooker very easily just set the maximum amount of time allowed by your multicooker (you may want to experiment with this; mine doesn't go beyond 180 minutes) and the minimum pressure. I can make some amazing pulled pork setting it to meat mode, minimum pressure and three hours of cooking.

Edit: Don't forget to come here with your impressions once you've tried it.

Edit: Oh my, I used eggplant, *not* zuchinni. I'm generally not a huge fan of zuchinni, actually.

So I went out and bought a fillet of trout and kind of recreated what you did. Laid down some sliced zuccini, chopped up onions and red peppers on top of olive oil, the fillet of trout, more slices of zuccini and a glass of white wine, finished off the bottle of white wine, threw in some salt and dill weed because the bottle of dill weed I have says it's good on fish, and set my multicooker at 20 minutes on low pressure. My multicooker does not have a "fish" setting so I just set it at 20 minutes on low pressure. I already said that. Bottle of white wine. Anyway it turned out pretty damn good I think....I've never had trout before, and to be honest am not too big on fish, but this was a satisfying meal.

So I have this meat thermometer and I stuck it in the thickest part of the fish and it read about 135. According to something I read online that's about right for fish. Does that sound right? I mean, if you stick a thermometer in some fish you're cooking and it says it's at 135 should you stop cooking it? I honestly have such little experience cooking (particularly with fish) that I don't know if a piece of fish is done well or not. I mean what I cooked was good, but could the texture have been better? Cooked longer or shorter? I don't even know.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've never used a kitchen termometre in my whole life, TBH, so I couldn't tell. That said, trout is a firmer fish than hake (which makes it more appropriate for roasting in the oven), so that may explain the texture. I'm glad it came out fine :)

So you do that then sear it in the pan? Can I do that for a tbone?

Slice them up and caramelize them low and slow for at least an hour. Freeze them in individual servings (ice cubes) and defrost and fry for a quick minute in the pan and use whenever you want a hit of delicious caramelized onion flavor, like in soups or on a sandwich.

I've been slacking on irongaf :( Everything looks so damn good in here. Need to try a few of these recipes out from you all.

Here is a lamb burger. I sauteed apples and put them into the ground lamb before cooking since I love the combination. Smoked gouda, smokey bacon, compound mayo (lemon juice, house spices), and arugula.

ibw6cXPbnDPmgx.JPG

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I recently participated in a burger contest organised by Heinz. I got selected from about 2K contestants among 7 others. This picture was taken during the semi-finals. Didn't proceed to the finals (became 5th, only the top 3 proceeded to finals) but was still a very cool experience. And I got a cool photo of my burger out of it :) I posted the 1.0 version of the burger in this thread earlier.

y1k4Zb7.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Look at all that pride!

Do you have any pics of the burger? What are the ingredients?

Do have!

It was an italian burger with oven-grilled tomatoes, mozarella, rucola and basil salad, spicy pesto, oven-grilled pancetta (spiced with italian dried herbs) and topped with balsamic syrup. Kept the patty rather simple with some garlic salt and some ketchup - because Heinz had to be part somewhere :).

They might publish the 7 semi-final/final burgers in a e-book, that'd be cool!

fireside

This one is my favorite. Mostly because it uses fenugreek (methi). I usually make my own paneer because it is easy: bring a gallon of whole milk boil, shut off and add quarter cup of vinegar to split the curds from the whey, strain, then make a wheel in cheescloth with a small weight on top and let stand for 45 minutes, unwrap and set in the fridge for and hour and then cut it up.

thanks, i'll have to try it soon

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2087_zps83d466ed.jpg

Honey lavender rye crusted with cornmeal and Murray River salt. (thankfully) the lavender is a significantly stronger aroma than it is flavor, but that little bit of floral with the lightly sweetened rye and tangy salt is pretty nice. Recipe makes a dense Scandinavian-style bread that I kind of want to adapt into something lighter.

IMG_2087_zps83d466ed.jpg

Honey lavender rye crusted with cornmeal and Murray River salt. (thankfully) the lavender is a significantly stronger aroma than it is flavor, but that little bit of floral with the lightly sweetened rye and tangy salt is pretty nice. Recipe makes a dense Scandinavian-style bread that I kind of want to adapt into something lighter.

That looks great! It makes me miss fresh baked bread. But I'm too lazy and it's too hot right now to do it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
IMG_2087_zps83d466ed.jpg

Oh my God.

I could eat (good) bread all day long. And that one looks amazing.

A small suggestion: turn it into a sweet bread by replacing the salty crust with a mixture of sugar, anise and olive oil. A rye sugar lavender torta sounds too good not to try it.

Gibbo

In the mood for chiffon cakes this weekend. I usually make pandan chiffon but thinking of doing something abit more daring. Anyone has any awesome chiffon receipes?

le-seb

My preferred way to eat zucchinis: stuffed.
Here with a mixture of minced meat, onions, mushrooms, green pepper, zucchini flesh, some mashed croûtons and a good bit of pink garlic.
It was pretty awesome.

My preferred way to eat zucchinis: stuffed.

Here with a mixture of grounded beef, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, zucchini flesh, some mashed croûtons and a good bit of pink garlic.
It was pretty awesome.

Recipe? I have a ton of zuchhini I dont know what to do with* (since I hate zucchini bread) and this looks great.

* first batch was shredded into stir fry and worked great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom