• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just made my first batch of Sriracha chicken.

It was insanely good.

Nothing fancy, too. I simply left 1 kg of sliced chicken breasts marinating for an entire day in Sriracha with a dash of rice vinegar (no salt at all). Took about 200 grams for lunch and froze the rest. I'm shocked, shocked by how good it turned.

I have no pictures since I was in a bit of a tizzy, but I noticed a few things:

• I used OG Vietnamese Sriracha, which is hotter than the tangier and milder American version.
  • Heating Sriracha in a pan is a good way to end with homemade tear gas. My poor, poor eyes.
  • The marinate was amazing, not just because it tasted GREAT, but because it kept the chicken soft and moist all around, despite being well done (I really, really, can't stand undercooked chicken).
  • Sriracha caramelizes itself upon touching the frying pan. It's very important to use quality cookware; otherwise it will leave a coal-like residue very difficult to clean. I used one of my crappy ceramic pans and now I'm regretting it.
  • The result is really spicy. I suggest to serve it using a soft bread roll, a cheddar slice, some iceberg lettuce for freshness and a small amount of mayonaise to moist the buns (no filthy pun intended. Maybe).

If the Sriracha pulled pork I have in the slow cooker comes nearly as good as good as the chicken... oh my. I'm never eating plain rice and chicken ever again.

CrankyJay

Banned
I just made my first batch of Sriracha chicken.

It was insanely good.

Nothing fancy, too. I simply left 1 kg of sliced chicken breasts marinating for an entire day in Sriracha with a dash of rice vinegar (no salt at all). Took about 200 grams for lunch and froze the rest. I'm shocked, shocked by how good it turned.

I have no pictures since I was in a bit of a tizzy, but I noticed a few things:

• I used OG Vietnamese Sriracha, which is hotter than the tangier and milder American version.
  • Heating Sriracha in a pan is a good way to end with homemade tear gas. My poor, poor eyes.
  • The marinate was amazing, not just because it tasted GREAT, but because it kept the chicken soft and moist all around, despite being well done (I really, really, can't stand undercooked chicken).
  • Sriracha caramelizes itself upon touching the frying pan. It's very important to use quality cookware; otherwise it will left a coal-like residue very difficult to clean. I used one of my crappy ceramic pans and now I'm regretting it.
  • The result is really spicy. I suggest to serve it using a soft bread roll, a cheddar slice, some iceberg lettuce for freshness and a small amount of mayonaise to moist the buns (no filthy pun intended. Maybe).

If the Sriracha pulled pork I have in the slow cooker comes nearly as good as good as the chicken... oh my. I'm never eating plain rice and chicken ever again.

The chicken probably benefitted from the vinegar in the sriracha itself and the rice vinegar you added as a tenderizing agent. If you need to soften up the spiciness you could probably cut the sauce with butter.

Yes Boss!

Made one of the cakes from the Momofuku Mulk Bar book. The one on page 93. It has vanilla chocolate chip cake layers alternatef with fresh passionfruit curd, cocoa crumbles, and coffee buttercream. Mini chocolate chips on top. Lots of fun!

A694F91E-85CD-45BC-89A9-F05B13D408D6_zps4wofa1i7.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This pulled pork.

Jesus H Christ, this Sriracha pulled pork.

I'm going to let it cool down before taking some photos, but I just cannot believe how good it is.

Best purchase ever. All hail the programmable pot, savior of bachelors.

Now I need to find the time to make some pulled chicken.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So yesterday I made pulled pork. It was the first time I ever tried and I had my concerns, since:

a) Well, I had never made pulled pork before.
b) I'm still new to this programmable electric pot thing.
c) I actually don't like pork that much. While I enjoy chorizo and cured cuts like jamón, I find the peculiar aftertaste of pork kind of gross.

In the end, nothing mattered. Because I made some bombass pulled pork.

First things first, I had no idea about how to cook some pulled pork, so continuing my sriracha obsession I used this particular recipe from the Sriracha Cookbook. It's very easy to follow, but it kind of surprised me how much time do you need to get everything ready, from getting brine and the rub to cooking the pork.

Anyho, here are the rub the the brine.

One thing I didn't like about this particular recipe is that it is definitely NOT diet friendly. Unless you are sugar cane bug, that's it. Both the rub and the brine use considerable amounts of brown sugar, which I plan to replace with some low calorie sweeteners in future attempts. Honestly, there's a crapload of sugar there, like, half a cup or something like that.

Although I followed the brine and rub recipes closely, I took some liberties with the rest. I added a big tomato because why the hell not, aswell as full glass of white wine and a metric fuckton of fungi (ok, a kilo), since I love mushrooms and they can be quite filling.

Given that my electric pot is not quite a slow cooker since it always uses some degree of pressure, I decided to set it to "stew" and enter the maximum amount of time allowed, which is three hours, keeping the pressure at the absolute minimum. Then I let it sit.

bTRfsTg.jpg
mhXNDpb.jpg

Pot and pork

The result was very, very good. Despite being cooked in "just" three hours instead of overnight, nearly all the fat from the pork had risen to the surface and could be easily removed with a big spoon. Pretty good if you are trying to keep your macros in line. The meat was so, so tender it basically broke itself into smaller pieces upon touch, making very easy to remove the remaining chunks of fat with my fingers (use some kitchen gloves, GAF, don't be gross).

The taste was intense, very spicy due to using Viet imported sriracha. American one would have probably resulted in some sweeter meat, but I prefer it this way. The meat is mouth watering tasty and there's NONE of that nasty pork aroma I mentioned in the beginning. It's abolutely stunning, really. The remaining veggies were at the bottom of the pot and had formed what it looks like a chunky puree of brined onions, fungi and tomato, well marinated in sriracha. I added a bit of it to the meat rations before freezing them and kept the rest in a bigger separate container for mixing with white rice (from now on known as AWESOME rice).

As for the test sandwich, I used some normal bread roll, a dash of soft BBQ sauce, a sliced sweet pickle and a decent amount of iceberg lettuce, since I kind of hate coleslaw.

Look at this handsome dead piggie. Look at it.

Some random observations:

• This particular recipe has a shit-ton of sugar. I need to find a way to replace it. Other than that, it's pretty diet-friendly.
  • Pork shoulder is kind of fatty, so there's a surprisingly small amount of lean pork at the end. By my calculations, I got around three and half 200 grams rations of lean pork (and just pork, not counting veggies nor sauce) out of a kilo of pork. That's not a lot. Luckily enough, pork shoulder is cheap.
  • Now I need to try this with chicken. I just found that 2 kg of chicken thighs costs €4 at the market, whereas 1 kg of chicken breasts goes for €4.5. I foresee a lot of pulled sriracha chicken in my future.
  • I'm SO adding black/red beans the next time I make some more pulled pork.
  • Programmable electric pots are the shit. Despite being an intense dish, my kitchen barely smells of anything. No fumes, no nothing. Had I use my old school pressure pot, the entire apartment would still smell of pulled pork.

I cannot say enough good things of my programmable pot. This thing is amazing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tongue is so, so good in stew. Have you tried it? It's my favourite "lowly cut" right along ox tail.

Edit: Stewed and then gratinated cow tongue is amazing. Oh my. I shouldn't get any ideas...

CrankyJay

Banned
Some grilled flank steak, green onions, asparagus and balsamic marinated portobello mushroom caps.

Steak was rubbed in some garlic paste I made and fresh thyme from my garden, sprinkled on some Montreal steak seasoning.

hTWxDre.jpg

thespot84

my understanding is that almost no western home kitchens are equipped with a range capable of properly holding a wok or producing enough heat for a wok.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The flank steak looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

As for the wok, the thinner the material the better IMHO. So go for the cheapest one around.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks for the input. Seems going with a WS wok would be a complete rip off....lol.

Probably best to spend my gift card on something else.

Just watched a whole bunch of youtube videos on thai street vendors cooking in woks, so awesome.

Yeah, I wouldn't use your WS card on a wok. The wok I use is the 14" from wokshop.com and it's fantastic. It's nice and seasoned from years of use and has served me well.

I wanted something delicious, filling, and affordable for dinner, so I made a big batch of mujadara. Maybe too big of a batch now that I think about it, but I ended up cooking too many lentils, so had to adjust the rest of the ingredients up.

Caramelized onions, lentils, kale, and rice.

Yes Boss!

^-- That looks professional! How hard was it to make?

Really not bad at all. I used first a rich brioche dough and rolled it out huge-like:

C7B4C513-9413-4881-AC40-D65503E76AF6_zpsot0yujzx.jpg

Spread the chocoalate shaves mixed with butter and gran marnier and the zest of an orange:

982CFCDD-FC1C-4D1B-BC8C-213087636FDC_zpsy5z2so10.jpg

Rolled up and ends cut off:

B01B6ADF-C304-4484-8810-7BA0AAA17D2A_zpsjx2bur6s.jpg

Sliced and gilled down the middle:

525D1293-4C69-493A-A9BF-CFA9C7C5E341_zpsv1eedvhx.jpg

Braided with end "testers"

5E3F5617-5A2A-4CBE-89FF-6D5649EFDE5A_zpsqcfkcagl.jpg

Baked with testers eaten:

36D5E14F-D474-41A1-BB6F-ED34237C7449_zpsp0lzrb1p.jpg

Cooled:

C48C4CA0-03AC-4BAA-A3A0-32385FB62A25_zpsck7g0lyz.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Finally had some time to cook a proper meal for mom and brothers since I don't live with them anymore:

Bought some pork chops from a butcher next to where I work:

14742729743_948023a48f_o.jpg

I oven dried them at 170F for 90 minutes and seasoned with just salt. Then basted them in brown butter dashi (basically brown butter infused with dashi)

14536189860_7d08ae009b_o.jpg

Finally had some time to cook a proper meal for mom and brothers since I don't live with them anymore:

Bought some pork chops from a butcher next to where I work:

14742729743_948023a48f_o.jpg

I oven dried them at 170F for 90 minutes and seasoned with just salt. Then basted them in brown butter dashi (basically brown butter infused with dashi)

14536189860_7d08ae009b_o.jpg

What's oven drying supposed to do? Just wondering since I haven't seen this technique before.

And those chops look amazing

This might be the best thread on NeoGAF... the best and the worst at the same time. I love it.

I'm also extremely jealous of Metroid Killers cooking/baking skills... godlike!

Zyzyxxz

What's oven drying supposed to do? Just wondering since I haven't seen this technique before.

And those chops look amazing

Running your oven at the lowest temp possible to dry the surface of the meat in order to get a better sear. Works better on convection ovens just got to be careful it doesn't overcook.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I'm trying to think of a good way to pair pork spare ribs with brussel sprouts. I'm going to roast the brussel sprouts in olive oil with some salt, pepper and speck, but I dunno how to treat the spare ribs to go well with it. Maybe with something sweet and salty?

TequilaHero

Neo Member
So I'm trying to think of a good way to pair pork spare ribs with brussel sprouts. I'm going to roast the brussel sprouts in olive oil with some salt, pepper and speck, but I dunno how to treat the spare ribs to go well with it. Maybe with something sweet and salty?
I'm not too experienced with ribs (wish I was, they can be fuckin amazing). Some people boil, then grill or smoke. Some sear first, then slow and low for a couple hours.
Maybe others can weigh in on that, but...
If you want sweet and salty, I'm a huge fan of the dry rub
**These are guesses. I never measure. You basically want close proportions of salt and sugar (slightly less sugar) and a healthy amount of whatever spices you have**

I made this one for Fourth of July:
A 1/2 cup (prob more) of good salt (kosher or similar)
1/2 C Brown sugar
Bunch of smoked paprika
Chili powder
Roasted Cumin (cast iron skillet for a few, then ground=delicious)
Fresh ground Coriander
Touch of cinnamon for the sexy

We put it on ribs and they were fantastic. Also put a smidge in the stuffed burgers. Damn good.

*Pro-Tip: Buy a new coffee grinder and only use it for spices, then only buy whole spices. The difference is huge. You can blend up rubs and spice mixes in seconds.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, I do love a dry rub, but seeing that I'll be eating with rice I usually like to make a little sauce with the main meal.

I think I'll go for a honey soy recipe that I know.

Fish caramel. Some fish sauce, water (to cut the saltiness), some lemongrass+onion+garlic, a splash of lime juice and a good deal of sugar. Thicken it (but not so thick so it'll burn in the oven) and use that, haha.

Antiwhippy

Oh god yeah, I love that sauce, but it's too late. Didn't have lemongrass with me anyway.

I'll definitely keep that dry rub recipe in mind for some other time though.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
do you have a recipe for the risotto? looks awesome

The base for two of us along with a portion for leftovers was:

1 cup arborio rice
1 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 shallot
butter + bacon fat
s+p
Y'all know basically how to make risotto, yeah? Some recipes push it to 15-20 minutes total cooking time, I like to stretch mine closer to 40. Whatever works for you, as long as the rice is fully cooked.

Sautee about 3/4lb assorted mushrooms with a little sage, thyme, and chili flake, and add it into the mostly finished risotto. I also used some caramelized onion and fresh peas (just a couple minutes in the hot risotto is all the cooking the peas need). Mix in a bunch of grated parm and an optional splash of cream. Topped with chopped bacon, more parm, and a few fried mushrooms.

CrankyJay

Banned

I would change the Brussels sprouts to pair better with the pork. Google cider glazed Brussels sprouts with bacon for inspiration.

Initial harvest is in full swing in Maine finally.

harvest-2014-1.jpg

harvest-2014-2.jpg

harvest-2014-3.jpg

harvest-2014-4.jpg

Would be nice to bake something with the berries but the children just eat them too fast straight from the bowl. Will probably bread and fry the squash tonight, especially at that size. Kohlrabi will be mandolin-ed into a salad I imagine, with carrot and/or daikon and a light tahini dressing. Broccoli turned out well this year, even if we think some deer were nibbling on it earlier in the season...

Antiwhippy

I would change the Brussels sprouts to pair better with the pork. Google cider glazed Brussels sprouts with bacon for inspiration.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.

That was the first time I had brussel sprouts and I quite like them actually! There were some bitterness but it was more a savoury kind instead of being overbearing. Pairs wells with some salty speck and the sweet glazed pork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom