• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le-seb

To stuff these two medium sized zucchinis and the tiny pepper, I've used:
- ≃250 g of minced pork meat (the kind used to make sausages; you can also try with lamb meat or even beef, as long as it's fat enough)
- a small onion
- a garlic clove
- a bit of green pepper (optional)
- two or three mushrooms (optional)
- a slice of bread or two
- ≃5 cℓ of milk
- salt, black pepper and a pinch of herbes de provence
- some olive oil

Slice the zucchinis in two, and use a spoon to remove some pulp so that it'll leave some room for the stuffing.
Crumble the bread in a bowl and gently pour some milk until the bread can't absorb the liquid anymore.
Chop the onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms and add them into the bowl.
If you fancy it (and it's not only made of pips), thinly slice the removed zucchini's pulp and add it into the bowl.
Add the minced meat into the bowl, as well as some salt, pepper and a pinch of herbes de provence.
Add a spoon of olive oil and knead the stuffing until it becomes homogeneous; you can add either some more bread or some more milk if needed.

When the stuffing's ready, pour it on the zucchinis, and take them for a ride in your oven for one hour at 180°C.

This recipe also works great with other veggies like tomatoes.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My preferred way to eat zucchinis: stuffed.

Here with a mixture of grounded meat, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, zucchini flesh, some mashed croûtons and a good bit of pink garlic.
It was pretty awesome.

Not a big fan if zuchinni, TBH, but that recipe is *awesome* with eggplant. I used to make a very similar one (damn you, diet!) and I loved it. Just put them in the oven with some cheese on top and enjoy.

Give it a chance if you feel like trying something a bit different.

le-seb

Oh shit, I wrote pepperoni everywhere when I meant to write pepper, like in:
greenbellpepper.jpg

How come you english speaking people use the same word for "poivron", "poivre" and "piment"?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Lol.

Not English speaker, but I refer to that as bell pepper since most people don't really know what piment is (in my experience)

Edit: For the record, I confused zuchinni with eggplant in my fish recipe. It took me over one day to notice that.

I'm a fairly native English speaker and I still get confused with the peppers. Bell pepper, chili pepper, sweet pepper, pepporroncini, etc. I usually just say "spicy pepper" or "small spicy pepper", etc. since it seems like everyone thinks differently about them.

Made some DIY handrolls the other day because it was hot and I didn't want to spend too much time cooking. I only marinated and pan-fried the seitan. Everything else was something in the fridge or leftover.

Nothing fancy here but the provenance. Broccoli steamed and then sauteed with butter, garlic and crushed red pepper, mixed into some eggs scrambled with cream. The fun part for me is that I harvested the broccoli this morning, the garlic last week, and the eggs over this past week from our hens. If we had a cow I could have made some butter and cream and rounded it all out. What could possibly go wrong?

homegrown-breakfast.jpg

That and a cup of tea were the perfect precursor to some kayaking on Casco Bay this morning.

Oh shit, I wrote pepperoni everywhere when I meant to write pepper, like in:
greenbellpepper.jpg

How come you english speaking people use the same word for "poivron", "poivre" and "piment"?

Honestly, pepperoni in that still sounds good. Thank you very much for the recipe.

Oh and how did you scoop out the center? Just carve it out w/ a knife?

le-seb

For the zucchinis, I first used the knife point to surround the part I wanted to remove, and then used a small spoon to take the pips and the pulp away.
And for the stuffed bell pepper, I simply cut it ~1 cm from the top and used my fingers to remove the pips and the white parts (which I find a bit indigestible).

Nothing fancy here but the provenance. Broccoli steamed and then sauteed with butter, garlic and crushed red pepper, mixed into some eggs scrambled with cream. The fun part for me is that I harvested the broccoli this morning, the garlic last week, and the eggs over this past week from our hens. If we had a cow I could have made some butter and cream and rounded it all out. What could possibly go wrong?

homegrown-breakfast.jpg

That and a cup of tea were the perfect precursor to some kayaking on Casco Bay this morning.

I'm jealous! Nothing beats just picked vegetables and some fresh, just out of a chicken's butt eggs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is this the Cooking Gaf community?

Pretty much, yes.

Also, today I made turkey stew. I used the same ingredients I used in my hake recipe sans the eggplant and left the turkey marinading in lemon juice and rice vinegar overnight. Not a wise idea. The turkey came out way too sour, IMO.

Yes Boss!

Made a focaccia based upon this cool overnight fridge-fermented recipe:

Sun-dried tomatoes (in the oven):

7AB89F13-DDF9-4068-BB94-4860A8F28F87_zpssfoql4fh.jpg

Dough after twenty-four hours. Gassy:

D0BD676D-FC57-459F-9D97-4598FEA884D9_zpsxrmkpkhr.jpg

Panned. The dough was alive. Bubbling as I touched it!:

81C83E4C-88E7-4F25-9BFE-125B6A901B9A_zpsam26uyp1.jpg

Baked. An insanely cool recipe:

0F601B07-2C5A-467E-AA78-93EF648AF2AA_zpsmkycrxzr.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Pretty much, yes.

Also, today I made turkey stew. I used the same ingredients I used in my hake recipe sans the eggplant and left the turkey marinading in lemon juice and rice vinegar overnight. Not a wise idea. The turkey came out way too sour, IMO.

Marinading meat in vinegar is basically pickling it or curing it. If you want the vinegar taste add it to the sauce not the marinade.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So, looking to do something interesting with my new Instant Pot multi-cooker, and I think my next cooking project will be a pulled pork dish. I understand I need to cook it for 8-10 hours, and most recipes say the heat setting should be on low, but would I want to leave the steam valve open or closed for this? My Instant Pot manual says it can be set to either when using the slow-cooker setting, which is vague and unhelpful...

Also, slow-cooking it with beer.....any reason that's not a good idea?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, looking to do something interesting with my new Instant Pot multi-cooker, and I think my next cooking project will be a pulled pork dish. I understand I need to cook it for 8-10 hours, and most recipes say the heat setting should be on low, but would I want to leave the steam valve open or closed for this? My Instant Pot manual says it can be set to either when using the slow-cooker setting, which is vague and unhelpful...

No idea about the beer, but if you have a slow cooker setting I'd try that one. Worse case scenario, you need to set it again with pressure and let it rip for a couple of hours (just make sure there's still enough water inside the pot if that's the case).

demon

No idea about the beer, but if you have a slow cooker setting I'd try that one. Worse case scenario, you need to set it again with pressure and let it rip for a couple of hours (just make sure there's still enough water inside the pot if that's the case).

When you use the slow-cook setting on your multicooker (if you do use it), do you leave the steam valve open or closed?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Any reason why you are cooking with beer and not white wine or apple cider (that's what I normally use when slow roasting pork belly)? Experiment or is it a standard thing I'm not aware of?

demon

Any reason why you are cooking with beer and not white wine or apple cider (that's what I normally use when slow roasting pork belly)? Experiment or is it a standard thing I'm not aware of?

I have no idea, I'm new to cooking. I do have apple cider though....

-edit-
eh, there seem to be a lot of recipes online for pulled pork cooked with beer. I'll probably give it a try.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I make pulled pork with beer. I don't think the liquid matters, it's just what kind of flavour you want to impart into it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah I make pulled pork with beer. I don't think the liquid matters, it's just what kind of flavour you want to impart into it.

I know very little about beer. What sort of beer do you normally use, and what kind of note does it add to the flavour?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I use a dark ale, and it tastes... beery I guess, but it doesn't have too much of that alcoholic aftertaste.

By "beery" I assume you mean more meaty and savoury if you are using a dark ale?

White wine or apple cider tends to add a little sweetness and fruity tang as you might expect.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is everyone in this thread mostly self taught when it comes to cooking, plating, etc?

I am. Pretty much knew nothing when I moved out of home apart from defrosting and frying a few things. Started learning the basics making mince, spaghetti bolognese and chilli nachos, and just got fancier and fancier from there.

The great thing about cooking is that it is pretty easy to experiment and freestyle once you start getting the hang of how various ingrediants work, to the point that you don't even need to follow any recipe to get a great meal a lot of the time. Perfect for learning on your own and at your own pace.

Now baking, that is a science that doesn't usually leave much room for error or going off recipe. It annoys me I am a pretty decent cook, but a novice baker.

demon

Finished my pulled pork. Slow-cooked it on low for 9.5 hours and another 1 hour on medium.

If the the whole pork shoulder pulls apart really easily but still has pink inside of it, should it be safe to eat?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Finished my pulled pork. Slow-cooked it on low for 9.5 hours and another 1 hour on medium.

If the the whole pork shoulder pulls apart really easily but still has pink inside of it, should it be safe to eat?

I'm not that familiar with slow cookers, BUT raw swine is really not recommended. You'll be fine (if you can pull the meat it's most probably well done and then some), but you don't want to serve your friends uncooked pork.

Bacterial growth is a thing with slow cookers since they don't heat the meat that much. Always keep that in mind.

Interesting beer choice, BTW. A malty dark beer is probably a very good idea for cooking savoury meats.

le-seb

Weather has been rather shitty lately in most of France, with pretty low temperatures for august (20-22°C max is what you'd expect for late April / early October), so let's pretend I've been sweating all day and a salad is the only thing that would please me.
Who knows, it could bring the summer back from its vacation...

So here's my winner tonight :

On a bed of feuille de chêne salad, some raw courgette (zucchini), both seasoned with a lemon juice, olive oil and garlic dressing, add some sliced cherry tomatoes simply seasoned with a pinch of salt and piment d'Espelette (very soft, subtly perfumed, chili pepper). Add a slice of delicious jambon de pays (cured ham?), two black olives confites (partly dried in salt) for the look, and two slices of to die for fougasse au chorizo (chorizo stuffed soft bread) from my baker.

Enjoying right now with a glass of fresh Côtes-de-Provence rosé wine.
Cheers! ;)

Heads up for the food nerds, Mind of a Chef series 2 is up on Netflix. Different chef this time, instead of Mumofuko's David Chang it's Sean Brock of Husk, who has a James Beard for the southeast. At first he seemed a little flat/bland, but by the third episode or so I've really warmed to his style. The show is a little broad but there are always interesting cooking and ingredients bits in each episode (like rice cultivation in the Carolinas pre-Civil War).

le-seb

Can't eat salads every day, so have a look at this little thing:

Yeah, I wish I knew how to take good photos. :'(

This is some lamb shank.
Slowly cooked à l'étouffée with onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
Have no words to tell you how this kind of cooking made it melting by itself in the mouth, nor how tasty it was, but believe me: it was rad.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I made a piña colada-themed cheesecake with some blended pineapple and shredded coconut/coconut milk. Tasty stuff but in small doses.

Gibbo

Made a Raspberry and Blackberry swiss roll this morning. As you can see, I didn't make enough whipping cream. If I were to do it again, I would probably add more sugar and cinnamon to the cream as well - as I found the Raspberries to be a tad too sour.

Y5uq5UXl.jpg

le-seb

IronGAF, meet my cannelés:
These cakes are a speciality from Bordeaux, and it's said they get their name from the shape the mould gives them (cannelure = fluting).
In my book, these are the kind of cakes I'd file in the 'My Heart Attack Can't Come Too Soon' category, because they're rather fat sweeties.

However, they're amazingly delicious because they're tender in the inside and crispy on the outside, thanks to the two phase cooking that caramelizes them.

The dough is heavily perfumed with vanilla and rum.

Perfect fit:
Caf%C3%A9.jpg

On a bed of feuille de chêne salad, some raw courgette (zucchini), both seasoned with a lemon juice, olive oil and garlic dressing, add some sliced cherry tomatoes simply seasoned with a pinch of salt and piment d'Espelette (very soft, subtly perfumed, chili pepper). Add a slice of delicious jambon de pays (cured ham?), two black olives confites (partly dried in salt) for the look, and two slices of to die for fougasse au chorizo (chorizo stuffed soft bread) from my baker.

Enjoying right now with a glass of fresh Côtes-de-Provence rosé wine.
Cheers! ;)

No need for excuses. Sometimes a salad with fresh ingredients (and incredible ham) is all you need for dinner.

I made a piña colada-themed cheesecake with some blended pineapple and shredded coconut/coconut milk. Tasty stuff but in small doses.

Um, yes?! I love cheesecake and I love coconut, so this sounds like the perfect combination.

IronGAF, meet my cannelés:
Caf%C3%A9.jpg

Wow, impressive. I like eating cannelé but am too intimidated to try and make one.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wow, impressive. I like eating cannelé but am too intimidated to try and make one.

No need to be intimidated! The batter itself isn't much different than one for crepes, and the (very) expensive copper molds aren't even a necessity anymore - there are silicon versions that work shockingly well provided you can get beeswax for coating, which in my experience, is the real key to a great cannele.

le-seb

Yes, they're very easy to make.
You just need the mould and your oven should be able to reach 250 °C to brown them.
I'm indeed using silicon moulds, and I don't even use beeswax for the coating, just some more butter.

Was in a mood for some pastry cooking this weekend but I couldn't reasonably eat all of them on my own.
So I've brought them at work yesterday. They didn't last long! ☺:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom