• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet1911

bdizzle said:
i think i just came a little bit............

you mind sharing your recipe? pasta and seafood makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my nether regions!

Well there's really no recipe per se. Shrimps + scallops + leek + celery + pepper + basilic + mushrooms + garlic + generic béchamel sauce.

I must say that fresh pasta tastes amazing. :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just made a soup I call Broccolatawny.

Ingredients:

8-10 cups chicken stock.
2 TBSP of butter
2 TBSP of vegetable oil
1 jumbo bag of broccoli and cauliflower florets.
One maui onion (large)
Cumin powder
Garam Masala
Turmeric
Red Chili powder
Garam Masala (substitute for curry powder if none available)

Chop and then Caramelize one whole Maui onion with a little Worcester, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar. Add a pinch of cumin late in the cooking.

Once the onions are softened and fully caramelized, set aside.

Heat oil (NOT olive oil), butter mixture and a generous pinch of mustard seed.

Saute broccoli and cauliflower florets in a mixture of oil and butter.

Season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle generous amounts of turmeric, cumin powder, red chili powder and Garam Masala (generous pinch of the latter).

Cook until florets are soft and flavors and oil largely absorbed.

Set aside.

Heat a quart of chicken stock.

Add vegetables, onion, simmer for 20 minutes.

Blend with hand blender, or food processor until smooth, with slight grain.

Serve

(optional sccop of natural yoghurt for garnish)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
once again, you make me proud, folks! Thanks for sharing.

bdizzle, considering pics of the finished meal, I tend to use the macro setting on my camera, combined with a small tabletop tripod (can be had for less than 10USD) and a long exposure time.

I'll make a german pub classic for dinner tonight, the so-called "Strammer Max". Stock pic (not from me):
7wopd87.jpg

Keep'em coming, folks!

Flynn

tnw said:
Where else do you go that's good? I always liked eating out in Mpls when I was growing up. Have you been to Babani's over in St. Paul? I like that place.

I missed this question way back when.

There's a new rotisserie chicken place near Dinkytown called Brasa -- it run by the head chef of Alma. I'd call it contemporary style cooking with a slight Caribbean flavor. The two main dishes are roast pork and roast chicken, both made from excellent local livestock. There are sides such as yucca and plantains, but you can also get more conventional stuff like beans and rice.

The place is a lot like the midscale eateries I went to in Los Angeles, aimed toward folks who like good, adventurous food, but can't afford the white tablecloth.

Here's a review from The Rake.

tnw

Banned
Ohhhh Alma, I remember going there right when it opened for my birthday.

Have you been to Babani's is St. Paul? It's a kurdish resturant that was opened by a former chef from one of the d'amico resturants. It's pretty good. they have dolmas and kurdish lemonade which is quite tasty.

There was a place called the barbarry fig in st. paul over near macalaster that was pretty good. That Cafe xxxxx place over there (forget the name) is pretty good too.

And of course the village wok is a U of M institution. it's tasty for the price, especially if you're young.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So here's the "Strammer Max", eggs and stuff.
Prep is painless, butter a slice of rye bread (I used a variant called "Schinkenbrot", named after its shape which fits a slice of ham perfectly),

smallP1030300.jpg

smallP1030302.jpg

layer it with smoked ham of choice (I used Schinkenspeck, a hearty cut from the pork back):
h000022a.gif

smallP1030303.jpg

fry a few eggs:
smallP1030304.jpg

place eggs on bread and.....
smallP1030305.jpg

Enjoy!

Flynn

tnw said:
Ohhhh Alma, I remember going there right when it opened for my birthday.

Have you been to Babani's is St. Paul? It's a kurdish resturant that was opened by a former chef from one of the d'amico resturants. It's pretty good. they have dolmas and kurdish lemonade which is quite tasty.

There was a place called the barbarry fig in st. paul over near macalaster that was pretty good. That Cafe xxxxx place over there (forget the name) is pretty good too.

And of course the village wok is a U of M institution. it's tasty for the price, especially if you're young.

I haven't tried Babani yet, but since my wife is fond of vegetarian food I suspect we'll be trying it very soon. There's quite a bit of Asian stuff popping up by the U. I tried a little Korean cafe that wasn't terribly hot -- but I guess it does the trick for homesick students.

There's another little spot in NE called Pop! -- another of our favorite local places. It has a good, small menu.

jet1911

Just finished making some bolognese sauce. Long post incoming. :lol

Loin of pork

2180678163_96a892c409_o.jpg

2181465716_e544e777df_o.jpg

Lots of cans.

2180678307_773fab8044_o.jpg

2180679063_347f4384f0_o.jpg

Vegetables.

3 onions, 3 carrots, 2 peppers(green, red, yellow, etc...), 4 garlic cloves, 2 celery branch, some parsley.

2180678369_fb7811086a.jpg

2181466148_5e411b0cca_o.jpg

Spices

Brown sugar, spaghetti spices(don't know exactly what in this), grind pepper and a tablespoon of each herbs

2180678733_acb9c5b2ea.jpg

2180678813_91746cd013.jpg

2181466238_8e2e3793dd.jpg

Then...

2181466040_90a4f23efc_o.jpg

Grounded beef + pork

2180678501_fc571b03de_o.jpg

When the meat is cooked(?) add the vegetables.

2180678889_57382f3241_o.jpg

2181466522_329aeeb529_o.jpg

Then just add all the cans and spices.

2181466602_d9001f0521_o.jpg

2181466706_66d34d935d_o.jpg

Let it simmer at least one hour at low heat.

Enjoy. :D

coldvein

Banned
i'm going to attempt to begin making a 15 lb. batch of sauerkraut tonight, maybe i'll take a couple pictures. then some more in a couple weeks. maybe it's not exciting to you people, but i am frigging stoked!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Tonights dinner is Turkey in green curry with Quinoa...

Can't really see the quinoa but it's under there :D

Matkalkonochquinoa.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I don't even have to tell you "keep them coming, folks" anymore. You just deliver the goods. I love you all. Thanks for sharing!

coldvein said:
i'm going to attempt to begin making a 15 lb. batch of sauerkraut tonight, maybe i'll take a couple pictures. then some more in a couple weeks. maybe it's not exciting to you people, but i am frigging stoked!
making sauerkraut successful is advanced chemistry, respect from me. I'd love to see the preparation.

Good stuff, Jett and Onkel!

nakedsushi said:
OnkelC: Why are your egg yolks so orange? The eggs I get have yellow yolks.

jarosh said:
synthetic carotenoids (which are allowed in the EU but not in the states)

OnkelC said:
yes. People want their yolks look intensive over here.

That's funny. I've noticed that about the eggs for a long time, but always chalked it up to being the lighting or camera. Do they inject it into the egg somehow? I guess they'd have to, eh? But it must be small enough so that the egg doesn't leak.

Here's how I'm used to egg yolks. This is from when I made corned beef hash last year:

P1010161.jpg

P1010163.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The chicken feed is loaded with carotene, not unlike farm salmon. Free range eggs/yolks vary in color over the year, but are usually much paler in comparison.

Interesting. Do you know if the chickens themselves turn color like the salmon?

Side note: I try to only eat wild salmon now whenever possible. I started after I found out that farm salmon isn't naturally that color and their mercury levels are much higher.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:

Side note: I try to only eat wild salmon now whenever possible. I started after I found out that farm salmon isn't naturally that color and their mercury levels are much higher.
the chicken or their meat do not turn color to my knowledge, it only has an effect on the yolks. And it's a good thing to only go for wild salmon!

OnkelC said:
the chicken or their meat do not turn color to my knowledge, it only has an effect on the yolks. And it's a good thing to only go for wild salmon!

It actually noticeably tastes better, too!

Tonight's dinner was a simple spaghetti w/ homemade meatballs:

DSCF2370.jpg

tnw

Banned
onkel, the schinkenbrot looks great!

interesting that it's made to fit a piece of ham because the stuff they sell here is somewhat smaller, less oblong, more round.

The Land Brot that they sell here is more similar in shape to what you posted.

Both are delicious :D

you know, I bet my schinkenbrot would fit 1 egg perfectly. I might have to try some kimchee fried egg on schinkenbrot one of these days. Sounds really tasty.

CTLance

OnkelC, that Strammer Max looks great. I think I know what I'll eat tomorrow...

Obvariety: Our family uses fried ("abgebräunt") slices of Leberkäs instead of bacon. It tastes great that way, although it's not exactly dietary food - come to think of it, nothing my family ever cooks is. :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I made some maple syrup chicken tonight. No picture:( It's basically just chicken cut in pieces, powdered in a mix of some flour, paprika and grounded muscade nuts (not sure what they are called in English). Then I cook them on the stove until golden, then remove them, add the maple syrup and some butter in the pan and stir a lot until it gains consistency. Then put the chicken back (with a bit of hot water), mix it all up well and nicely and keep stirring. Now remove it all, put in a glass plate or whatever you call to put it in the oven for 30 mins at like 350F (180C). Keep taking the juice and pour it on the chicken bits often, and turn the chicken pieces at least once.

I served it with a marinated beats+tomato and green olives salad.

You guys have maple syrup in Europe? I know Japanese are like our top buyers.

I hate coming home at like 7 to 7:30 pm! I finished eating at around 9pm:|

Flynn

heavy liquid said:

I've heard that people can get orange skin pigmentation from excessive carotine. I'm guessing since egg chickens are different from feed chickens you never see the orange skin tint on their skin.

Zyzyxxz

heavy liquid said:

did not know about the mercury levels.

makes me worried since I ate an assload of salmon sashimi while living in Hong Kong, no idea if they get their Salmon from farms.

Tonight's dinner ingredients:
dsc_0062.jpg

Appetizers:
dsc_0065.jpg

Hiyakko tofu with bonito, green onion, ume (plum? apricot?) paste, dressed with ponzu sauce.

dsc_0072.jpg

Broiled shishito peppers sprinkled with salt and dipped in ponzu sauce.

The main course:
dsc_0070.jpg

Ramen! No explanation necessary.

tnw

Banned
mmmm shishito are delicious. I also love their 'russian roulette' nature. Never know if you're going to eat a spicy one or not!

I really like that umeshiso in a tube stuff. They also sell yuzu kosho in a tube and the obvious wasabi in a tube. It may not be the highest quality stuff, but it's not terrible either.

My roommate and I went out to a new izakaya in the area to celebrate my new job. It was a typical izakaya that forces you to get otoshi. Otoshi are essentially 'mandatory appetizers' that the chef makes and forces you to buy them. Very annoying.But the otoshi last night was pretty good.

We also had some nice sake (nihonshu) from Shizuoka. He got some tuna natto that was pretty tasty, and I got a kimchee hiyayakko and some garlic potato fries.

Wolffen

Stinkles said:
And epic sushi.

Pics! You and the Bungie crew should snap some shots at your next lunch and post them here. Also, you should have someone take some good pics of the food at the Winter Pentathlon. :)

Everything has looked delish that's been posted on the last few pages. Oh, and Onkel, good luck at the new job!

tnw said:
mmmm shishito are delicious. I also love their 'russian roulette' nature. Never know if you're going to eat a spicy one or not!

I really like that umeshiso in a tube stuff. They also sell yuzu kosho in a tube and the obvious wasabi in a tube. It may not be the highest quality stuff, but it's not terrible either.

My roommate and I went out to a new izakaya in the area to celebrate my new job. It was a typical izakaya that forces you to get otoshi. Otoshi are essentially 'mandatory appetizers' that the chef makes and forces you to buy them. Very annoying.But the otoshi last night was pretty good.

We also had some nice sake (nihonshu) from Shizuoka. He got some tuna natto that was pretty tasty, and I got a kimchee hiyayakko and some garlic potato fries.

I was unfamiliar with the 'Russion Roulette' nature of shishito until one day I got the bullet. Oh man, that was painful. But so good.

I love yuzu flavor. I didn't know it came in a paste. I'll have to look out for it. I was kind of bummed that I could only find ume paste in a tube. I wanted it fresh in a jar like my local sushi ya has it.

I LOVE izakaya food. I don't drink beer most of the time I'm at one. I'm happy that there's a decent one within walking distance of my home.

I love natto, but I don't know if I'd have it with tuna. I think the textures would clash. Maybe if it was chopped up tuna with natto mixed in? No...still too slimey.

Leftovers are always good! (and easy!)

Made some quesadillas tonight. I used a very mild Mexican cheese that melts easily, and added some chicken and onions. Hot sauce to taste. I wish I had some avocados and/or sour cream, but alas, I didn't have any in the house. The tortilla is green because it was jalapeño and cilantro flavored.

DSCF2375.jpg

DSCF2376.jpg

DSCF2377.jpg

tnw

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I was unfamiliar with the 'Russion Roulette' nature of shishito until one day I got the bullet. Oh man, that was painful. But so good.

I love yuzu flavor. I didn't know it came in a paste. I'll have to look out for it. I was kind of bummed that I could only find ume paste in a tube. I wanted it fresh in a jar like my local sushi ya has it.

I LOVE izakaya food. I don't drink beer most of the time I'm at one. I'm happy that there's a decent one within walking distance of my home.

I love natto, but I don't know if I'd have it with tuna. I think the textures would clash. Maybe if it was chopped up tuna with natto mixed in? No...still too slimey.

Yes, Izakaya food is great. You don't even need to drink because there are so many fun things on the menu. They really are kind of similar to a tapas resturant I think.

Yuzu kosho isn't yuzu paste, It's more of a green chili paste with some yuzu rind in it. It's really good with grilled food.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/encyclopaedia!openframeset&frame=Right&Src=/edible.nsf/pages/yuzukosho!opendocument

And the natto was with cubed sashimi tuna. it was pretty good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid, awesome quesadilla! Very good idea to use raw onions as filling, too. I'll try that out next time I can convince the wife to quesadilla ;).

Nozzing on your tables, folks? Keep sharing!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Oh, man, that strammer max got me hungry. I got eggs, normal toast bread and semi-crappy smoked ham so guess I'll do a fake one.

tnw

Banned
Hey Onkel, my roommate's friend from Muenster is visiting right now, and he didn't really understand what schinkenbrot was. Is it a regional thing or something?

He also didn't have very nice things to say about baumkuchen :lol

Anyway, I saw carrots on sale really cheap (100 yen for a big bag of them).

I was inspired by Gordon Ramsay's broccoli soup (which is on youtube, but I can't access it for some reason right now). So I decided to make a nice carrot soup.

Two bags of carrots

water

1 tbsp red curry paste

1 tbsp ponzu

yogurt to taste

cut up the carrots to boil them, and fill the pot with water til they are barely covered. simmer the carrots until they are ready, and then use a hand blender to make it into a smooth liquid.

add curry paste (1 tbsp made it a little too spicy, but it was perfect when eating the soup cold, so maybe this would be a good cold soup), then add the ponzu (again it was a little too strong when hot, but was perfect when it was seved cold). Garnish with a little yogurt.

It was really tasty. The carrot puree alone would have made a nice confiture/jam. It would have also been nicely made into a kanten (vegetarian jelly) mold, kind of like an aspic . Something like this

070905_095506_m.jpg

Momar

aka Ryder
I tried my hand at some french toast this morning; turned out MUCH better than expected. Much thanks to Alton Brown for the recipe, hahaha. His called for honey in the custard to add some extra sweetness, but I opted for brown sugar and a small amount of vanilla extract instead (I'm addicted to vanilla, regardless of whether or not it's a bad idea).

But now that I've gotten over the "Am I culinarily retarded? Nah... I can't... well, maybe I can... AGHH" hump, it's time to try my hand at some actual dishes :lol

I shall scour these holy pages of yonder thread of magical cooking-ness and will find a path!

Any tips for some easy dishes? Some of the stuff here looks flat out incredible, but they seem a bit difficult; not just in execution, but in preparation. When I say easy, I don't just mean easy to make, but something simple in execution as well as in ingredients/requirements. That sorta makes sense.

tnw

Banned
nothing I make is really difficult.

the soup I made is easy as can be. well you need a hand blender, but a regular blender would be just fine too.

unless you're not interested in it, which is cool too.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
OnkelC's Strammer Max made me want something similar, so I did a fake one yesterday, a bit less fancy I'd say ;)

BbqKhJeOt.jpg

Today I picked up some food at the local chinese restaurant. It's pretty decent food and good portions.

Beef and tomato sauce with rice:

YEpGZtQim.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
Hey Onkel, my roommate's friend from Muenster is visiting right now, and he didn't really understand what schinkenbrot was. Is it a regional thing or something?

He also didn't have very nice things to say about baumkuchen :lol
The culinary expertise from your roommates' friend does not make me wonder at all, considering the traditional Münster dishes are traditionally comprised of slaughterhouse waste :p (google for "Potthast" and "Töttchen"). Schinkenbrot is not a protected term, so it's possible that it isn't recognized in all regions under that name. On the other hand, it makes me wonder, as the Westfalian cured ham (Westfälischer Knochenschinken) is another specialty from the greater westfalia region.

Thanks for your recipe!

Ryder said:
I tried my hand at some french toast this morning; turned out MUCH better than expected. Much thanks to Alton Brown for the recipe, hahaha. His called for honey in the custard to add some extra sweetness, but I opted for brown sugar and a small amount of vanilla extract instead (I'm addicted to vanilla, regardless of whether or not it's a bad idea).

But now that I've gotten over the "Am I culinarily retarded? Nah... I can't... well, maybe I can... AGHH" hump, it's time to try my hand at some actual dishes

I shall scour these holy pages of yonder thread of magical cooking-ness and will find a path!

Any tips for some easy dishes? Some of the stuff here looks flat out incredible, but they seem a bit difficult; not just in execution, but in preparation. When I say easy, I don't just mean easy to make, but something simple in execution as well as in ingredients/requirements. That sorta makes sense.

Hi Ryder, congratulations on the first success!
Most of the dishes I have posted here are also easy to make, I did most of the cooking after work. Most dishes can be made in one hour or less and with common household items. I recommend that you also check the earlier cooking threads for even more dishes:

Volume 1 (index incomplete by far, about the double amount of dishes to be found there! Just keep browsing.)

Volume 2

Keep on cooking and share your results, please!

ItsInMyVeins said:
OnkelC's Strammer Max made me want something similar, so I did a fake one yesterday, a bit less fancy I'd say ;)

Today I picked up some food at the local chinese restaurant. It's pretty decent food and good portions.Beef and tomato sauce with rice:

looking good, thank you for sharing, too! A "Strammer Max" made with cooked ham instead of smoked/cured ham also goes by the name of "Strammer Otto", so you just wanted to show your intimate knowledge of the subtle differences in the "eggs on bread" discipline, right?:lol

Looking forward to seeing more of your dishes, too!

Here's my yesterdays effort, stuffed bell peppers:
smallP1030346.jpg

Schnitzel for tonight.

tnw

Banned
nice peppers onkel. what do you fill them with? I haven't made them in ages, but I remember using aborio rice (risotto) and some other stuff.

And is that wild rice I see? :O

A lot of wild rice comes from Minnesota actually, in the north of the state. Especially in the fall, my parents would serve it with game meats like quail, pheasant and grouse. I always thought it went well together.

:D

ONKELC

Is there anything you can't make? ive been amazed at the many different dishes you've concocted. are you a chef or something or do you just love cooking? do you have any recipe books that youd recommend? im still a novice, but im learning. i took the leftover bbq chicken i had and made a bbq sandwich out of it. it was pretty tasty i thought. i made......i meant bought :( some potato wedges to go along with with some provolone cheese on a wheat kaiser roll. i shoulda made some home squeezed lemondade too now that i think about it. im trying to be exciting like you said, but its kinda hard since im still trying to figure all this stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom