• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo said:
Those are the worst things to cook on, ever! My boyfriend has those and we tried to make pancakes on them once, not one single pancake actually looked like one. At the end of the attempt I was ready to throw stuff around, so frustrating. My parents have induction, that is really nice to cook on, but plain old gas works fine for me too (I can make pancakes on that).
dunno, I'd take iron hotplates over glass ceramic all the time, much easier to clean.
And pancakes turn out fine on it:
smallCIMG4395.jpg

smallCIMG3151.jpg

smallCIMG3155.jpg

;)

jarosh

OnkelC said:
dunno, I'd take iron hotplates over glass ceramic all the time, much easier to clean.
you really think so? i've had the exact opposite experience. i always felt iron hotplates were A LOT harder to clean than glass ceramic.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, I'm with Jarosh. Plus, they look cooler. And I have no problems with pancakes. Well, oats and whites pancakes, at least =(

tnw

Banned
jarosh said:
seitan is made out of wheat and i'm not supposed to eat that.

doesn't surprise me. the difference in quality between the various brands is pretty drastic. if you find a really good one you'll probably be surprised at how different and how much better it tastes. unfortunately i have no clue what brands they have in japan so it's hard for me to make a recommendation.

do you have celiac, or just no wheat?

yeah, this paste was just 200 yen for about 500 grams. There's an importer store here that sells foreign stuff cheap (like 500 grams of olives for 200 yen, pasta, whole tomatoes, olive oil, etc)Just bought it because it was cheap, and now I know what it was >_<

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Call me old school, but I learned cooking on gas and iron. Bet It's a kind of habit. The glass ceramic stovetops I used so far (be it induction or not) fail for me because the heat zones are kind of hard to spot, it's difficult for me to center pots and pans on them.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh, BTW Jarosh, you need to instruct me about the traditional Swiss dishes. I'll be visit the canton of Geneva soon and I'll totally trash my BB diet.

Flo

It might be that the ones he has are just particularly bad, they take aaages to heat up and once they're hot.. they take ages to cool down a little. It's not like with gas where you turn down the gas a little and it gets a little less hot. If I remember correctly, the last pancake was the first that actually resembled one, kind of.

OnkelC, those look tasty, might try that when I get home. I remember seeing a cookbook just about pancakes in the store (of course it was round), might go and take a look at that too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo said:
It might be that the ones he has are just particularly bad, they take aaages to heat up and once they're hot.. they take ages to cool down a little. It's not like with gas where you turn down the gas a little and it gets a little less hot. If I remember correctly, the last pancake was the first that actually resembled one, kind of.

OnkelC, those look tasty, might try that when I get home. I remember seeing a cookbook just about pancakes in the store (of course it was round), might go and take a look at that too.
250ml milk
250 grams flour
4 eggs
125ml sparkling water
bit of salt, bit of sugar

See, I saved you a couple of €€€€€ ;)

Flo

OnkelC said:
250ml milk
250 grams flour
4 eggs
125ml sparkling water
bit of salt, bit of sugar

See, I saved you a couple of €€€€€ ;)
Hehe, thanks!! I can buy pancake stuff from those €€€€€!

By sparkling water you mean the bubbly stuff?

deadbeef

cloudwalking said:
ketchup with pancakes is good, and so is ketchup with french toast, for that matter!

:lol

VINCENT
But you know what they put on pancakes in Germany instead of syrup?

JULES
What?

VINCENT
Ketchup.

JULES
Goddamn!

VINCENT
I seen 'em do it, man, they fuckin' drown em in it.

JULES
Uuccch!

But really, the pancakes look delicious. I will try them next weekend.

jarosh

tnw said:
do you have celiac, or just no wheat?
well, it's... complicated ;)
i just should eat as little wheat as possible, that's all.

OnkelC said:
Call me old school, but I learned cooking on gas and iron. Bet It's a kind of habit. The glass ceramic stovetops I used so far (be it induction or not) fail for me because the heat zones are kind of hard to spot, it's difficult for me to center pots and pans on them.
agreed about the heat zones. they can be a pain in the ass. and of course, a gas stove is superior to electricity in many ways. no argument there.

Funky Papa said:
Oh, BTW Jarosh, you need to instruct me about the traditional Swiss dishes. I'll be visit the canton of Geneva soon and I'll totally trash my BB diet.
you could start with raclette. easiest traditional swiss dish i can think of. haha. works with toast bread in the oven too. see previous page. and then there's rösti. maybe i'll make rösti next week and i'll post the recipe with pics.

onkelc: your occasional laziness and neglect of culinary "principles" can be very charming. i find myself making lazy, simple food a lot too when i'm not in the mood for long cooking sessions. but your abuse of ketchup has to stop... especially on pasta. you're almost reaching - dare i say it - swiss levels of culinary perversion here. yes, the swiss will occasionally put cold concentrated tomato paste (out of a tube) on their pasta. yuck, that's even worse than ketchup.

Awesome! I've always wanted to make some homemade pasta.. looks great! And nice bolognese, Onkel!

Haven't had much time to make many homemade dishes lately with the holidays and baby and all. This should hopefully change soon!

Here are a few pictures from a meal out this evening:

Chili:
DSCF2336.jpg

House salad with vinaigrette:
DSCF2342.jpg

Greek salad:
DSCF2343.jpg

Greek salad with grilled chicken:
DSCF2344.jpg

Pasta fagioli with veal, spinach and mushrooms:
DSCF2345.jpg

Margherita pizza:
DSCF2346.jpg

jak stat

OnkelC said:
I'll give an explanation later today.

ANYWAY, here's a New Years Eve pastry classic from my part of the world, Berliner!(Click for Wiki)
They come with icing or just dipped in sugar and are filled with jam or cream. This is the most common variant, dipped in sugar and filled with apricot jam:

smallP1030161.jpg
These are famous in America--now I know what they actually look like!

Other comments:
1. Massaman curry is indeed perhaps the BEST CURRY.
2. OMG Vietnamese curry noodles are gooood. Don't forget the lemon juice and veggies! Better than Japanese curry noodles.

tnw

Banned
jarosh said:
onkelc: your occasional laziness and neglect of culinary "principles" can be very charming. i find myself making lazy, simple food a lot too when i'm not in the mood for long cooking sessions. but your abuse of ketchup has to stop... especially on pasta. you're almost reaching - dare i say it - swiss levels of culinary perversion here. yes, the swiss will occasionally put cold concentrated tomato paste (out of a tube) on their pasta. yuck, that's even worse than ketchup.

sorry to hear about your wheat troubles jarosh. It sucks to have food allergies, etc. when you enjoy cooking/eating....

I bet wheat free and lguten free diet limitiations are pretty simiar. Have you check out this blog? It's someone who was diagnosed with celian, and now she has even published a book recently of gluten free recipies. I bet you might like either of them

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

anyway, japan abuses ketchup on pasta too. They actually serve it at resturants and is a mainstsay of 'youshoku'(which translates as 'western food' but should more be like 'an exclusive category of bastardized western dishes')

It's caled naporitan, and it's just a dressed up version of onkels 'dish'

http://www9.ocn.ne.jp/~japamom/NewFiles/spaghetti.html

It's revoltingly popular too :(

I find it ironic that the foreign world associates japan with sushi and healthy food whereas the average japanese diet consists mostly of shitty yoshoku

here are a bunch of examples

http://www.japaneserestaurantinfo.com/foodstyle/foodpage/yoshoku/yoshoku.html

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jet 1911, PROPS for the homemade pasta! I never dared to buy a pasta machine so far. How did you prepare the dough (eggs/no eggs)? And is the second sauce also a bolognese?

Heavy liquid, great pics as usual! The Margherita looks like the long lost twin of our local pizza guys' brethren ;)

Thank you to you both for sharing!

jarosh said:

I would never serve catsup pasta to guests, but it's a dish with a deeper meaning for the wife and me, so I refuse to abstain from it!:lol

It's not that bad btw.

Keep sharing, folks!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Part one of tonights dish, cabbage rolls.
They are a traditional and common winter dish which is easy to prepare. Side dishes will be slices of the smaller cabbage leaves with bacon and cream as well as potatoes. Like all braised dishes, they taste best when reheated the second day, so we made them yesterday alongside with the bolognese. We used a cabbage variant called "Wirsing" for this.

For the prep, you need the large outer leaves of the cabbage with the trunk of the leaf removed:
smallP1030225.jpg

smallP1030227.jpg

The filling consists of "Mett", which is spiced ground pork that's also common as a topping for bread (not unlike beef tartare):
smallP1030226.jpg

The leaves get a blanching:
smallP1030233.jpg

smallP1030234.jpg

smallP1030235.jpg

and are then stuffed with the Mett and rolled up:
smallP1030236.jpg

smallP1030237.jpg

smallP1030238.jpg

A common fixature for them is to tie the rolls togeter with yarn, but we went the easier route with picks:
smallP1030229.jpg

smallP1030239.jpg

Fry them in a bit of oil, then add an onion and water, braise them at low heat with a lid on for one or two hours afterwards (add water if the skillet runs dry):
smallP1030240.jpg

Here they are braising along the bolognese prep from yesterday:
smallP1030260.jpg

Part two to follow!

tnw

Banned
Cabbage and cabbage rolls are also very popular here too. they're called rooru kyabetsu (imagine that), but they look a little different from yours.

I've never had them, unfortunately, because the stuffing is always meat based, but they're very very common here.

30057b9a8f4fbf19465ad4d772be641a.jpg

jet1911

OnkelC said:
jet 1911, PROPS for the homemade pasta! I never dared to buy a pasta machine so far. How did you prepare the dough (eggs/no eggs)? And is the second sauce also a bolognese?

The recipe is really simple. 4 eggs, 3 cups of floor, 1 tablespoon of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Very easy to make. And yes the second sauce is bolognese, homemade too.

Nice cabbage rolls. :D

onkel, great cabbage rolls. reminds me of korean bbq where you wrap the lettuce leafs around rice and bbq meat.

made some miso sea bass. takes 2 days to marinate. took me 5 minutes to finish. :lol

2172543688_9d8db412a3.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey just wondering, what oil do you recommend for cooking? Something that preferably isn't health hazardous when heated;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ether_Snake, you can use soybean oil, cornseed oil or sunflower oil.

smirkrevenge said:
onkel, great cabbage rolls. reminds me of korean bbq where you wrap the lettuce leafs around rice and bbq meat.

made some miso sea bass. takes 2 days to marinate. took me 5 minutes to finish. :lol
:lol awesome! how did you prepare the marinade and was it worth it?

Here's the cabbage rolls, served with potatoes and cabbage roast:
smallP1030268.jpg

smallP1030275.jpg

Enjoy.

tnw

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Hey just wondering, what oil do you recommend for cooking? Something that preferably isn't health hazardous when heated;)

It really depends on what you're making. Different oils have different smoking points.

In general though a light oil like canola is the easiist to use I guess. I like olive oil for the flavor, but it's not always appropriate to use.

Sesame oil is fantastic to use as well for certain things. It has a very pungent and delicious flavor, and is great for stir frys and other 'asian' cooking.

That fish looks nice, but I just cannot stand mirin. There are two things I hate in Japanese cooking: mirin and katsobushi. it unfortuatenly makes most food prepared by Japanese people unpalatable to me.

I absolutely love the ingredients they have in Japan, I just don't like the way they prepare food here. Nimono for example, a 'pillar' of Japanese cuisine just reeks of the stuff. In general, they love adding sweet things like mirin and sugar to salty things here, and I think it brings out the fishiness in food rather than toning it down like they say it does.

http://web-japan.org/museum/others/cuisine/cuisine02/descrip05.html

tnw: sorry to hear about your distaste for mirin. it was actually my first time cooking with it, and i couldn't tell what it added to the dish...so i'll experiment with it some more.

had some leftover salmon from sushi the other day, so i was inspired to create something tonight for a little snack. pretty proud of the result.

salmon + avocado and spring onion salsa on a bed of grilled onions and shitake mushroom stems, plus a drizzle of balsamic + olive oil.

2174498464_e40cab27f7.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, VERY good looking! Thanks for sharing.

We'll make the cabbage leftovers tonight, nothing spectacular.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
killakiz said:
My first dish, what do you guys think.
hi and welcome, totally overlooked your post. Seems like a nice stir fry, did you use any uncommon ingredients?

No pics from me tonight, leftover cooking :p
have a few examples of my other obsession instead:

smallP1030214.jpg

smallP1020839.jpg

smallP1020592.jpg

smallP1020459.jpg

smallP1000513.jpg

smallCIMG5594-1.jpg

smallP1000800.jpg

smallP1000175.jpg

Enjoy and share your stuff, folks!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damn that looks good:D I love bread above almost all else.

Here is what I made tonight, but the picture is not mine (it didn't look anything like that:lol)

154322.jpg

Here is the recipe, but I disagree with it somewhat.

For 4 portions:

60 ml (4 table spoons) balsamic vinegar
Juice from 3 lemons and 1 lime (I don't agree, more on that below)
Salt and pepper
4 to 6 fillets of tilapia fish, depending on how big they are.
5 ml of grounded turmeric (1 teaspoon)
Oil for cooking

# Mix the balsamic vinegar, the lemon and lime juice, salt and pepper, and pour over the filets in a plate.

# Let it marinate for an hour.

# Take them out, remove the liquid from the fillets with scott towels (I don't know how this process is called in English). This is important, if it is too wet it will lose some of the fish flavor and the rest will be too strong, especially the lemon (I probably didn't remove enough tonight, that's why it was too lemony). Powder them with the turmeric, you don't have much so the best thing you can do is either sprinkle it with something or put it on a plate and put the fish on top, then flip it, etc.

# Heat the oil and cook for around two to three minutes each side.

# Put them in a plate and pour some of the marinade on top.

Now the part I don't agree with is the lemon juice. I had only two fillets so I used one lemon and no lime and even then it was too much, the lemon overtook the rest of the flavors. Maybe my lemon was just too big.

It was good so I share it, but I'll move on. Maybe you guys will have better results!:)

The next one I'll make will probably be dijon mustard+honey salmon. Probably Friday or next weekend.

deadbeef

I made some cold-water cornbread with my mother-in-law yesterday. When I get back home after the holidays I will make it myself and take pictures.

Ingredients:
Self-rising cornmeal
A little bit of pancake mix
Water
Mayo

Mix in the right amounts and pour into cast iron skillet. Bake at 500 for about 18 minutes.

jet1911: Nice looking loaves of bread. I got into bread making recently too. I think we even have the same stand mixer, except mine is blue. Are those loaves of wheat?

So I made some BBQ, baked mac n cheese, and sweet kernel corn today. It came out alright. Chicken was tender, the mac n cheese coulda used a little extra something tho.......i just dont know what that something is

bbqall.jpg

Unfortunately, presentation was horrible. That's the one thing I need to work on. How to make the food look presentable on the the plate. Any ideas Gaf?

bbq.jpg

bdizzle: i use ground nutmeg as my "secret ingredient" in mac n cheese...but that might entirely depend on what type of cheese(s) you use in your mac n cheese. i'm a fan of the gruyere/emmenthaler mix myself.

as far as presentation...i get most of my ideas from what i see on tv, books, or restaurants where i enjoy eating. keep things tidy, organized, and focused. and a little squeeze bottle does wonders for sauces...as arrogant as that sounds. it looks like your plates are already colorful and great.

for your bbq dish, i saw that you had 2 starches (rice and mac), so maybe next time you make a meal, have a balance of different food types - 1 meat, 1 starch, 1 veg. these are all suggestions, but like cooking, experiment with what works for you, what's tasty, and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom