• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ItsInMyVeins said:
Alright, so a friend and I got talking about this one, don't know how we came up with it, and we made it last night as a new years eve dinner for us. It tasted awesome, honestly.

It's ground beef with onion and tomato, some marinade, and spices stirred together and cooked in a frying pan. At the same time we heated up som frozen garlic bread. When it was warm enough we, gently, opened the top of the bread up from top to bottom to make room for the ground beef. We filled the small space with the beef and then put a bunch mozarella ontop of it and put it back into the oven again for some ten minutes, to let the mozarella melt. Served with some fries, mayo and tzatziki.
Sounds like the perfect hangover cure! Thanks for sharing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it.

We started the new year with the most noble and distinguished dish available:
smallP1020873.jpg

Enjoy.

Jacobi

Banned
Awesome. I wanted to get some burgers too, but my hangover won, so I laid low... The chicken looks also great.

Congratulations regarding your new job.

And a happy new year to yall.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I am completely out of food, and all stores are closed. Crap. Good thing some places still deliver.

I didn't have a resolution for the year yet, but here's one; every weekend I will try a new recipe instead of eating the same typical meals. I don't have a camera but oh well!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ether_Snake said:
I am completely out of food, and all stores are closed. Crap. Good thing some places still deliver.

I didn't have a resolution for the year yet, but here's one; every weekend I will try a new recipe instead of eating the same typical meals. I don't have a camera but oh well!
Well, that's a resolution I can accept!:lol

Zaptruder

Banned
As bad as the food is, you have a knack for bringing out the best through photography.

In this case, awesome wax display piece!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
perryfarrell said:
Dude how can you post pasta with ketchup??? That's just wrong.
CUZ I WAS TEH LAZY TONITE LOL
seriously, I planned on doing a potato/carrot mash, but I didn't feel like it when I came home. Ketchup and Pasta (especially the shorter kinds) go better together than you might think. Give it a try if you haven't already.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. Share your tales of crappy convenience, please.

New Year's Day brunch was an egg-crepe from the northern Chinese bakery.
dsc_0001.jpg

Then I went to the parents' for New Year's Day dinner. One of the best dishes of the night was mock duck.
dsc_0002.jpg

The whole spread (minus the peking duck and braised pig ears)
dsc_0003.jpg

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Oh wow. I was already hungry when I looked into this thread, and my lunchbreak is in about..20 minutes (meatballs!). Looking at your christmas dinners made me even more hungry. Awesome stuff, guys!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, very nice pics and even more interesting dishes! Thank you for sharing. What's the mock duck made of?

So I've never seen cheese ice cream before.

Christmas2007cheeseicecream.jpg

I only tried a little bit, but I don't think I liked it that much. I think it even had little chunks of cheese in it. Maybe I need to try it again. I guess I'm used to having fruit flavours in ice cream.

Below is a noodle dish from the Vietnamese restaurant that I forgot to post. It has a few different BBQ meats (pork, chicken, beef) and a spring roll.

Christmas2007061.jpg

Christmas2007060.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that noodle bowl looks fantastic, but ze ice...:lol
Was it a sweet ice cream with cheese lumps or does the ice also have a cheesy flavor?

OnkelC said:
that noodle bowl looks fantastic, but ze ice...:lol
Was it a sweet ice cream with cheese lumps or does the ice also have a cheesy flavor?

The ice also had a cheesy flavour, and it was sweet overall like any other ice cream.

It was pretty strange (being used to the usual fruit, chocolate and vanilla flavours) but I'm wanting to try some more, strangely enough. :)

tnw

Banned
the cheese ice cream. it looks like something you'd buy by mistake

'honey I got this great mango ice cream!':lol

reminds me of when foreigners here try and make tacos out of anko, thinking it'll be like refried beans. Oops!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
The ice also had a cheesy flavour, and it was sweet overall like any other ice cream.

It was pretty strange (being used to the usual fruit, chocolate and vanilla flavours) but I'm wanting to try some more, strangely enough. :)
intriguing indeed. keep us posted of your second opinion, please!

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, very nice pics and even more interesting dishes! Thank you for sharing. What's the mock duck made of?

Thanks. Mock duck is vegan dish where the duck is made out of tofu-sheet and nori wrapped together. It doesn't taste exactly like duck, but it's delicious anyway.

jarosh

nakedsushi said:
Thanks. Mock duck is vegan dish where the duck is made out of tofu-sheet and nori wrapped together. It doesn't taste exactly like duck, but it's delicious anyway.
that sounds interesting. got a link to a recipe?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dinner was scrambled eggs (stock pic because I accidentally bought parsley instead of chive :p)
smallP1010302.jpg

Enjoy.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Ok, first try here so bear with me :D tonight is Tagliatelli and meatsauce, but with minced chicken instead of beef.

Sooo, ingredients are:

350g of minced chicken
Tagliatelli
Some leftover sour cream from lunch
1 onion finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic crushed then sliced
1 hg of Forest mushrooms (or field mushrooms)
Taco spice
White & Black pepper
Chili flakes
Balsamic Vinegar
Freshly grated parmesan

My kitchen's kinda small so I can only prepare one thing at a time :mad: So I boil the water and set aside, then I make the sauce and then I boil the pasta. Kind of a pain in the ass really =( But I've learnt to work with it

Anyway, here goes:

Mat1.jpg

Mat2.jpg

Mat3.jpg

And voilá

Mat4.jpg

Yummy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keen, thank you for sharing! Considering the size of your kitchen, that's one impressive dish. When I was at university, my kitchen looked similar. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your dishes!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
OnkelC said:
Keen, thank you for sharing! Considering the size of your kitchen, that's one impressive dish. When I was at university, my kitchen looked similar. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your dishes!

Thanks =) Lack of an oven is what kills me really. Oh well, at least the g/f has a proper kitchen.

Will do. Right now I've made some chicken broth with some chili paste and lots of garlic to combat my cold. =( Usually put ginger in there as well, but didn't have any. But it looks kinda boring so I'll refrain from posting any pics :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keen, don't be scared. Every contribution is welcome!

nakedsushi said:
OnkelC: Wow, those are some delicious looking scrambled eggs.
thanks! The actual eggs didn't look half as good, the chive does the trick.

Keep sharing, folks!

made sushi at home for the first time tonight. was pretty nervous this first time, but i think with practice, i will get more proficient.

soft tofu + bonito + ponzu:
2165727013_1d8a447b51.jpg

toro + takuan: (a great flavor combo)
2165727425_cb68a5e868.jpg

salmon + avocado:
2166523594_3228f771e1.jpg

jarosh

i just made masaman curry (which is the best curry in the world if you ask me).

it was soooooooo good.

also there's thousands of variations and different recipes out there so i thought i'd make my own variation too :p

ingredients:
masaman curry paste, coconut milk, potatoes, leek (or onions if you prefer), tofu (as a substitute for beef or chicken), peanuts, lemon or lime juice, spices (cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, lemon grass), sugar

0401-1.jpg

0401-2.jpg

i pre-boiled the potatoes for 15 minutes first

0401-3.jpg

the curry in its different stages, heh

0401-4.jpg

0401-5.jpg

0401-6.jpg

0401-7.jpg

and on the plate with jasmine rice

0401-8.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
wow.
smirkrevenge, for a first attempt, that looks extremely good. What were the most difficult parts for you?

jarosh, looks like perfect food for the temperatures :) Peanuts as an ingredient are way underrated IMHO.

Thanks to both of you for the great dishes and equally impressive pictures!

Jarosh: That curry looks tasty. Where did you get the paste? Is it local? Local to where?

Also smirkrevenge: I love soft tofu prepared like that. So simple, but delicious. I also like sprinking furikake on it when I remember.

jarosh

nakedsushi said:
Jarosh: That curry looks tasty. Where did you get the paste? Is it local? Local to where?
yeah, i got it from the local asia store. they import it from thailand. i've never seen it anywhere else. you can buy red and green curry paste at every regular grocery store here (switzerland) but i've never seen masaman curry paste anywhere else before. i had to ask the cashier at the asia store and it was all hidden in the back of the cooler. i'm really glad i found it though. at first i was thinking about just replacing it with regular red curry paste but masaman tastes very different from the red and green currys. it's a lot milder and sweeter and has a very distinct flavor.

onkel: i think the lack of equipment might be the biggest hurdle for me. and...it is time-consuming to prepare everything. finding fresh sushi-grade fish is difficult, too. also, i need to invest in a sharper knife. :D

jarosh: i am making your curry tonight...you have inspired me!

Flynn

heavy liquid said:
Below is a noodle dish from the Vietnamese restaurant that I forgot to post. It has a few different BBQ meats (pork, chicken, beef) and a spring roll.

Christmas2007061.jpg

Christmas2007060.jpg
Looks like a "bun" dish -- one of my favorites. I finally found a great Vietnamese place here in Minneapolis. Yum.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jarosh, have you ever tried dried fruits in your curry? i ate at an indian restaurant recently that had an incredible kashmiri murg with cashews, dates, and raisins, and the contrast with the spicy curry was phenomenal

jarosh

smirkrevenge said:
jarosh: i am making your curry tonight...you have inspired me!
awesome. i feel honoured.

beelzebozo said:
jarosh, have you ever tried dried fruits in your curry? i ate at an indian restaurant recently that had an incredible kashmiri murg with cashews, dates, and raisins, and the contrast with the spicy curry was phenomenal
i have never tried that. sounds interesting though. gotta look into that.

edit: i'm looking into the kashmiri cuisine and its recipes right now. a lot of it sounds very delicious. wow.

tnw

Banned
jarosh

here is a more accurate description of mock duck, it's similar to seitan if you've had that before.

(it's not made from tofu sheets or nori)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seitan

Seitan is called (o)fu in Japanese. It's not used as much here as it is in other parts of asia. I kind of prefer the non-japanese stuff more.

I don't think you make mock duck as much as purchase it.

I really like mock duck a lot.

And also, is it important to use cast iron with those induction heating stovetops? I've seen some stuff on the New York Times cooking stuff where they say it is.

I bought some red and green curry pastes yesterday, but the green curry one is terrible: super salty and not spicy at all :/

Looks like a "bun" dish -- one of my favorites. I finally found a great Vietnamese place here in Minneapolis. Yum.

oh, tell me where!!!

took the easy way out and bought the pre-made massamun curry paste. haven't tried it yet as it's still simmering on the stove, but my apt smells awesome! :D

i used beef short rib meat i had leftover, onions, leeks, potatoes, and peanuts.

2167463912_e487b56034.jpg

look closely at where the curry paste is from:
2166669623_e3134bd270.jpg

:lol :lol

deadbeef

It's Friday! Time for take-out hot wings and beer. Below we have teriyaki and extra-hot boneless wings, and a Grolsch lager.

Dec2007001.jpg

I resolve to make some of the recipes in this thread this year. I have my eye on the schnitzel on page 1 first.

Flynn

tnw said:
oh, tell me where!!!

Ngon Vietnamese Bistro, 799 University Ave., St. Paul

So far I've had the Pho which is great -- excellent broth -- good fresh ingredients to throw in.

The beef for the "bun" is very savory with a nice tangy dressing.

They serve tons of locally brewed beers and whatnot as well.

After one visit the place rocketed to the near top of my favorite chow in town. It's also very reasonably priced -- especially considering the fact that the place has a mid-to-upscale dining decor. None of the mom and pop vibe I usually expect from good Asian.

tnw

Banned
Flynn said:
Ngon Vietnamese Bistro, 799 University Ave., St. Paul

So far I've had the Pho which is great -- excellent broth -- good fresh ingredients to throw in.

The beef for the "bun" is very savory with a nice tangy dressing.

They serve tons of locally brewed beers and whatnot as well.

After one visit the place rocketed to the near top of my favorite chow in town. It's also very reasonably priced -- especially considering the fact that the place has a mid-to-upscale dining decor. None of the mom and pop vibe I usually expect from good Asian.

I'll have to check that out next time i go home, although we don't go over St. Paul that often.

We used to go to Vina over near 66th and Nicolett in Richfield quite a lot. It's only average though. There is a place on Lake Street and Nicollet that a Vietnamese classmate of mine from college took me to, but that was 10 or so years ago.

Where else do you go that's good? I always liked eating out in Mpls when I was growing up. Have you been to Babani's over in St. Paul? I like that place.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
you make me proud, folks. All of you.

Wekkend schedule is Spaghetti with a homemade bolognese tonight, stuffed cabbage tomorrow.

Share yours!

jarosh

smirkrevenge:
that's awesome! i'm glad i could inspire someone like that, haha. looks like it turned out really well too. oh and i wouldn't consider buying the paste the easy way out - everyone does that. i mean, you could make the paste yourself but you'd have to buy a lot of additional ingredients etc...

tnw said:
jarosh

here is a more accurate description of mock duck, it's similar to seitan if you've had that before.

(it's not made from tofu sheets or nori)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seitan

Seitan is called (o)fu in Japanese. It's not used as much here as it is in other parts of asia. I kind of prefer the non-japanese stuff more.

I don't think you make mock duck as much as purchase it.

I really like mock duck a lot.
hmm. thanks for that. i know all about seitan. it's not uncommon around here. you can buy it at most health food stores. the mock duck made of tofu sounded more interesting to me though since seitan is made out of wheat and i'm not supposed to eat that.

tnw said:
And also, is it important to use cast iron with those induction heating stovetops? I've seen some stuff on the New York Times cooking stuff where they say it is.
i wouldn't know since i don't have induction heat :p
that's a plain old glass-ceramic cooktop i'm using. it's just an electric stove - a lot better than iron hotplates but still no induction heat...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-ceramic

tnw said:
I bought some red and green curry pastes yesterday, but the green curry one is terrible: super salty and not spicy at all :/
doesn't surprise me. the difference in quality between the various brands is pretty drastic. if you find a really good one you'll probably be surprised at how different and how much better it tastes. unfortunately i have no clue what brands they have in japan so it's hard for me to make a recommendation.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I am living off of tuna, white rice, chicken breasts, grilled beef and whey protein (not even real milk). No sauces. No bread. No seasonings. No sugar. No tasty sides. I hate you all, god damn it.

Flo

jarosh said:
i wouldn't know since i don't have induction heat :p
that's a plain old glass-ceramic cooktop i'm using. it's just an electric stove - a lot better than iron hotplates but still no induction heat...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-ceramic
Those are the worst things to cook on, ever! My boyfriend has those and we tried to make pancakes on them once, not one single pancake actually looked like one. At the end of the attempt I was ready to throw stuff around, so frustrating. My parents have induction, that is really nice to cook on, but plain old gas works fine for me too (I can make pancakes on that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom