• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

This week, I had an opportunity to buy this thing for almost nothing:

I know pancakes are a thing in N.A. for breakfast, but I'm not sure they're also eaten as main salted courses, the way we do it in some parts of France.
However, you guess it, this is a... er... special kind of pan for pancakes, a.k.a. a billig in Brittany.

Well, what you call pancakes, we call crepes. You can find savory crepes, but usually only at French restaurants.

thespot84

Well, what you call pancakes, we call crepes. You can find savory crepes, but usually only at French restaurants.

you call these crepes?

puNGRmP.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Made crispy shell prawns with habanero mayo, topped with spring onion and fried shallots.

iOlz5656NapYv.jpg

Pretty tasty even if I do say so myself. Though I think the mayo overpowers the homemade habanero sauce a bit too much. Dunno what other creamy medium I can mix the habanero sauce with though. Maybe just cream or sour cream?

Maiar_m

I call what he made crepes.

And yet he made galettes :p But you're right to call the general idea crepes. It's just that the name changes a lot depending on where you live in the English-speaking world. Even when I lived in London, some would call it pancakes, some crepes, and none of them had ever heard of the "galettes de blé noir" from that recipe. The point is: it's hard to know which word to use when writing to a crowd.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hey, IronGAF, I have a question for you: Is there a way to reuse marinade and turn it into sauce?

I'm asking this because I recently saw some sriracha marinated chicken recipe that allowed to reuse the remaining marinade as sauce by combining it with something else, but I cannot find that recipe again for the life in me. The marinade in question contains sriracha sauce, some oil, honey, a bit of salt and the juice of two oranges, if it serves of any help.

Also, this past weekend I made cornbread for the first time. I intented it a small course by itself instead of a snack or appetizer, so I added some bacon, a full leek, cheddar bits and some sauteed saffron milk caps.

Much to my despair, I only discovered that none of the local supermarkets carry buttermilk nor proper sour cream, which forced to hastily make mine. I'm dead certain they didn't come as intended, but despite that and the fact that I initially set the oven a bit too high (hence the exterior browning) it came out amazingly good.

Edit: Nevermind that question about marinades, I found a video.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Made pancakes as well tonight. The dough ist a simple affair of
1/4 liter milk,
250 grams wheat flour,
4 large eggs,
1/8 liter sparkling water,
a bit of salt and sugar.

with apples, sugar and cinnamon for the wife and filled with emmental cheese for me:

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My kitchen has been dismantled for a couple of weeks while I have had my benchtops replaced. Stove tops etc all get put back in place today, so looking forward to actually being able to cook again and try some of the great recent dishes in the thread.

Cfh123

Any recommendations for a sauce for meatloaf?

I made meatloaf using a recipe which has a basic ketchup/mustard/brown sugar sauce. I was not that impressed with the sauce. I guess because it just tasted like ketchup and mustard.

thespot84

I made meatloaf using a recipe which has a basic ketchup/mustard/brown sugar sauce. I was not that impressed with the sauce. I guess because it just tasted like ketchup and mustard.

you could always make your own ketchup. That or gravy.

besada

Banned

If you're looking for something new, try a sweet chili glaze.

kp0IkYZ.jpg

The times in the kitchen have been especially rough....again....as back on the tail end of the morning of Nov 24 my oldest cat and senior pizza making assistant Max passed away. Given I turn 30 tomorrow and he'd just celebrated turning 19 himself just a few days prior---the air in there hangs heavy and the hands are as stiff likewise as I stagger on ahead awash in memories of all sorts.

The cheese here is Rustico Black Pepper, easily the best sheep's milk cheese steeped into what must've been a ludicrous amount of black peppercorns to create this kind of robust aroma and flavour I've ever had---especially once it starts to melt.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
kp0IkYZ.jpg

The times in the kitchen have been especially rough....again....as back on the tail end of the morning of Nov 24 my oldest cat and senior pizza making assistant Max passed away. Given I turn 30 tomorrow and he'd just celebrated turning 19 himself just a few days prior---the air in there hangs heavy and the hands are as stiff likewise as I stagger on ahead awash in memories of all sorts.

The cheese here is Rustico Black Pepper, easily the best sheep's milk cheese steeped into what must've been a ludicrous amount of black peppercorns to create this kind of robust aroma and flavour I've ever had---especially once it starts to melt.

Sad to hear about Max. I recently lost my beloved dog, so I can relate. Mascots, but specially cats and dogs, bring something special with them. They are more than just animals living behind the same roof :(

Made some brioche. Lots of hard labor and time but awesome end bread. Super rich and decadent.

4F5CC312-62CE-4E79-B7E5-3FACCB967B06_zpsztf941pt.jpg

2DD534CC-E0BA-4F77-981C-BD08909B1E41_zpsnoickfon.jpg

That looks really amazing. I bet it tasted even better.

This weekend I had a (cheat) dinner with some friends. Each one of us was bringing something to eat and I thought my spaghetti with pesto were a bit by the numbers (even if they were still delicious), so I went for broke and tried to make some Sriracha stuffed bread by adapting this recipe. Guess that?

It was freakin' delicious.

I used original Viet Sriracha, so despite using a very thin layer of it, it was still pretty hot. I used salami, black olives and sautéed bacon and portobello mushrooms for the stuffing. I am incredibly pleased by how good it tasted, but unfortunately it didn't raise nearly as much as it should have. I used standard baking powder instead of active yeast, though. Could that be the reason?

CrankyJay

Banned
Finally got my vacuum sealer so I decided to make my maiden voyage in the world of sous vide. Here you have some 2 inch thick USDA choice tenderloins.

Bathed at 134F for almost 3 hours (I pulled at the 2:45 mark). Patted dry, seasoned with salt and seared 1 minute both sides in a screaming hot cast iron pan coated in grapeseed oil.

Served with some oven roasted red potatoes and sauteed mushrooms in butter and Marsala wine.

Took a closeup here for a buddy of mine...he told me not to post-sear my meat (and instead pre-sear it. As you can see, post searing really didn't take up much off the edges at all.

GiJoccin

And how did it taste?

I smoked a ribeye while making some bacon just to see how it would turn out according to the serious eats article I posted a few days ago. Perfectly rare, nice smokey taste, but I didn't account for the salt spending more time on the steak and I didn't get a good enough crust on the outside of the steak like im used to.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Made a big batch of chili yesterday for "dinner" (ready at 23:30...), but only ate two tacos worth. Made brunch with some of it today. Pan-fried corn tortillas on the bottom, chili, pickled red onion, two fried eggs, salsa, grated cheese, pickled jalapenos, and topped with some chopped cilantro.

BRsIE0k.jpg

Oh my days. That looks tasty indeed.

Zyzyxxz

Took a closeup here for a buddy of mine...he told me not to post-sear my meat (and instead pre-sear it. As you can see, post searing really didn't take up much off the edges at all.

Sounds like your friends works in a institutional cafeteria or something. Pre-sear before sous vide is like saying wet aging steaks actually works.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That looks amazing, but what recipe?

Drats, I forgot the link. Here it is. You can also use the same recipe for beef chili.

I also made a huge batch of beef chili this weekend (I basically cook food for several weeks and then froze it in ration-sized containers) and it came out great. I didn't change anything besides substituting the tuna with minced beef, which I browned and seasoned with chili powder separatedly before finishing it in the pot.

Dead Man

Drats, I forgot the link. Here it is. You can also use the same recipe for beef chili.

I also made a huge batch of beef chili this weekend (I basically cook food for several weeks and then froze it in ration-sized containers) and it came out great. I didn't change anything besides substituting the tuna with minced beef, which I browned and seasoned with chili powder separatedly before finishing it in the pot.

Nice, thanks :) I'll be trying tuna first, but yeah, seems a fine way to do a quick beef chilli too. Don't have those brands here, but I'll be able to substitute pretty easily.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nice, thanks :) I'll be trying tuna first, but yeah, seems a fine way to do a quick beef chilli too. Don't have those brands here, but I'll be able to substitute pretty easily.

Yeah, I basically replaced all the ingredients with local ones. I used fresh veggies instead of frozen ones (seriously, it's not like sautéeing a few peppers is that time consuming) and some premade hot taco seasoning instead of actual chili powder.

If you want to make your own chili seasoning instead of purchasing it in bags, you can find a quick recipe here.

CrankyJay

Banned
And how did it taste?

I smoked a ribeye while making some bacon just to see how it would turn out according to the serious eats article I posted a few days ago. Perfectly rare, nice smokey taste, but I didn't account for the salt spending more time on the steak and I didn't get a good enough crust on the outside of the steak like im used to.

My steak was great texture wise. This was my first go at sous-vide so I was just going for a baseline and only seasoned it in kosher salt (after the bath, but before the sear).

I still want to try that ribeye recipe at some point. I have all of the necessary equipment for it.

Sounds like your friends works in a institutional cafeteria or something. Pre-sear before sous vide is like saying wet aging steaks actually works.

I found an article that asserts that pre-searing is probably good for longer cooks to potentially ward off any bacteria that may cause a funky smell (I'm thinking like 48 hour short ribs etc)

Zyzyxxz

My steak was great texture wise. This was my first go at sous-vide so I was just going for a baseline and only seasoned it in kosher salt (after the bath, but before the sear).

I still want to try that ribeye recipe at some point. I have all of the necessary equipment for it.

I found an article that asserts that pre-searing is probably good for longer cooks to potentially ward off any bacteria that may cause a funky smell (I'm thinking like 48 hour short ribs etc)

Eh proper meat handling and making sure you use high quality meat is best way to ensure its clean. Other than that if you still want to be safe just season the outside with salt and let it sit for an hour then shake/rub/wipe it off. Salt will kill any surface bacteria.

zbarron

I just made some Sriracha tuna chili following this recipe. It is HOT, but also so, so good.

It may not look great (it's basically protein feed in the form of chili, so...), but it tastes amazing.
I think it looks good. I'd eat it.

Made some brioche. Lots of hard labor and time but awesome end bread. Super rich and decadent.

4F5CC312-62CE-4E79-B7E5-3FACCB967B06_zpsztf941pt.jpg

2DD534CC-E0BA-4F77-981C-BD08909B1E41_zpsnoickfon.jpg
Those look beautiful. I made a Challah a while back that had that beautiful yellow color.
15014161026_63eff20bd7_h.jpg

If you haven't already you might want to try making one. They are delicious, fun to braid and come out beautiful.
Finally got my vacuum sealer so I decided to make my maiden voyage in the world of sous vide. Here you have some 2 inch thick USDA choice tenderloins.
Bathed at 134F for almost 3 hours (I pulled at the 2:45 mark). Patted dry, seasoned with salt and seared 1 minute both sides in a screaming hot cast iron pan coated in grapeseed oil.
Served with some oven roasted red potatoes and sauteed mushrooms in butter and Marsala wine.
Very nice. I wish I had one of those. I was supposed to get an Anova Precision Cooker for Christmas but they are back ordered currently.

Tonight I made chili and a bread that started as a cranberry Challah.

Instead of chili powder I made a paste of Arbol chiles, Ancho chiles, craisins, water, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, orange juice and a touch of sriracha. I had some left over Sirloin tips so I took them out and seared them on a smoking cast iron griddle. They came out blue rare with a nice crust. After sweating the onions I fried the chile paste in the grape seed oil with the onion. After a minute I added the diced rare steak and once those were coated I filled it with my liquid. From there it's a basic chili recipe.
15741208999_f42945e069_h.jpg

I started off using This Recipe for the Challah. I converted all of the measurements to grams and got to work. The recipe calls for 3 eggs and that's exactly how many I had. My problem came when adding the water to the egg mixture. My calculations said I needed ~237g of water and my pour was way too heavy and I ended up dumping 450g in. Since I didn't have enough eggs to start over I added some wheat flour since I was out of All Purpose. I had to keep adding more to give it the body it needed. After all is said and done I have no idea how much of half the ingrediants went into this thing which is tragic since it came out delicious and I may have trouble recreating it. I tried making a Turban style Challah but the dough was too wet to hold the shape.
15307581893_eef89e425f_h.jpg

Damn, breads looking very nice everyone. Especially as I'm on a carb-minimization diet post-Thanksgiving...

Sweet potato soup with coconut and collards and other goodies. Almost a curry really. Purple sweet potatoes gave it an interesting color that contrasted nicely with some leftover sauteed collards ("oh wow this is as good as kale chips" sayeth my youngest) and some cornbread we made for the side (used a cornmeal mush base this time, almost a custard, standard skillet bake).

sweet-potato-soup.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Eh proper meat handling and making sure you use high quality meat is best way to ensure its clean. Other than that if you still want to be safe just season the outside with salt and let it sit for an hour then shake/rub/wipe it off. Salt will kill any surface bacteria.

Good to know, thanks!

zbarron

I just purchased the Anova Precision Cooker. They have a coupon for $30 off at their website. Enter either HOLIDAY or CYBER30 at checkout. I can't wait until I am part of the cool kid Sous Vide club here. I also got the white one since my Kitchen is white.

CrankyJay

Banned
Also length of time cooked at certain temperature will pasteurize the meat according to the USDA (but not e.coli which thrives in environments without oxygen but the chances are extremely low as long as you work clean).

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/

Use these guides, they will list the temperature and how long you need to cook for it to be "safe".

Yeah, I did almost 3 hours on my tenderloins at 133F...I felt good about it. Also smelled the bag just to see and was greeted with a nice beefy aroma.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
is any GAFer familiar with how pressure cookers work with boneless chicken breasts? I normally eat chicken breasts and brown rice due to cost and can't get a general idea how it works in pressurized cookers. Are chicken breasts too lean to use in these? Also would I cook the rice in the pressurized cooker first and then reopen it 5 minutes later to put in the chicken breasts for another 10 mins? I ordered the Instant pot so it should be relatively safe to use since its a "modern" pressure cooker. Tried to search through this thread and it seems like pulled pork is popular for pressure cookers but couldn't find info on chicken breasts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit: oops, forgot im on neogaf

CrankyJay

Banned
is any anon familiar with how pressure cookers work with boneless chicken breasts? I normally eat chicken breasts and brown rice due to cost and can't get a general idea how it works in pressurized cookers. Are chicken breasts too lean to use in these? Also would I cook the rice in the pressurized cooker first and then reopen it 5 minutes later to put in the chicken breasts for another 10 mins? I ordered the Instant pot so it should be relatively safe to use since its a "modern" pressure cooker. Tried to search through this thread and it seems like pulled pork is popular for pressure cookers but couldn't find info on chicken breasts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i'd imagine chicken breast would work out okay, i've had pressured cooked pork chops that turned out pretty damn awesome.

zbarron

I need help. If anyone here is experienced in making caramel are you able to tell me what went wrong? I used the Food Wishes Caramel Sauce recipe and used an induction cooktop and a cast iron dutch oven. The sauce came out but it is seperated or something. Here is a picture.
15913943066_3064b115ee_h.jpg

I planned on making skillet brownies with vanilla ice cream and then drizzle this sauce over it. I tasted it and the sauce tastes really good but there is definitely a grainy texture to it. I tried the trick of adding in a little hot water and whisking but no change. I'm debating between serving it as is since there are so many other things going on in the dish or starting over but until I know what I did wrong I don't want to waste more food.

Thanks.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Your sauce is crystallized from the look of it. Either the pot used wasn't completely clean or some of the sugar stuck on the sides, undissolved, and essentially spread into the rest of the sauce. You can usually prevent that by either brushing the sides lightly with water as it boils or (my preference) keeping a lid on the pot to encourage condensation. The downside with the lid method is that you've got to know your caramel well enough to time things without actually seeing it - I was doing gallons of caramel every week at one job, so it was like second nature. Not so simple for the average home cook.

Additionally, you may not have cooked the sauce enough after adding the cream. It can get the grainy texture and separation from that, as well.

zbarron

Your sauce is crystallized from the look of it. Either the pot used wasn't completely clean or some of the sugar stuck on the sides, undissolved, and essentially spread into the rest of the sauce. You can usually prevent that by either brushing the sides lightly with water as it boils or (my preference) keeping a lid on the pot to encourage condensation. The downside with the lid method is that you've got to know your caramel well enough to time things without actually seeing it - I was doing gallons of caramel every week at one job, so it was like second nature. Not so simple for the average home cook.

Additionally, you may not have cooked the sauce enough after adding the cream. It can get the grainy texture and separation from that, as well.

Thank you so much. Your first theory is almost definitely the correct one. I had a large amount of hardened sugar around the lower edges of the dutch oven. I didn't think much of it besides I would end up with less finished product. I boiled water in the pot to dislodge it and it's clean now. Is there a way to fix it or do I need to start from scratch?

If I do start from scratch do you have any other advice on how to avoid it crystallizing in the first place? I started with dry sugar and it just sort of hardened in there. I was using a whisk which isn't exactly the best tool for getting into corners.

If I do start from scratch do you have any other advice on how to avoid it crystallizing in the first place? I started with dry sugar and it just sort of hardened in there. I was using a whisk which isn't exactly the best tool for getting into corners.

Any reason you used Cast Iron? I've only ever made caramel in a non-stick pot, and it works wonders both for cooking and cleaning up. You should be scraping the sides with a silicone spatula to clean the sides. Actually for my caramels the spatula is the only tool I need, along with a candy thermometer.

Second thought: if you're serving this over brownies & ice cream, some texture in your caramels might be a really welcome flair! Maybe even double down on the texture and sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top of it all before you eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom