• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

When I first tasted proper carbonara in Italy, I got soooo pissed that what I thought to be carbonara, what I'd eaten in school cafeteria from first grade to, heck, university cafeterias, that was anything but.

Because pasta with a separate creamy/milky, slightly cheesy ham sauce is totally a pasta carbonara. I get that you want to drive down costs and there are other issues but that naming got me so irritated after tasting the real thing.

thespot84

When I first tasted proper carbonara in Italy, I got soooo pissed that what I thought to be carbonara, what I'd eaten in school cafeteria from first grade to, heck, university cafeterias, that was anything but.

Because pasta with a separate creamy/milky, slightly cheesy ham sauce is totally a pasta carbonara. I get that you want to drive down costs and there are other issues but that naming got me so irritated after tasting the real thing.

yeah ham doesn't cut it. However, I grew up with american bacon in my carbonara, and frankly panchetta just isn't the same (the smoke isn't there). Try it with bacon, it's amazing.

Ecrofirt

I'm hoping to secure a pig head soon to make some authentic guanchiale.

In the worst case is going to be a savory smoked bacon and not a traditional sweet one.

Tonight's menu item is porketta, which is roaster pork butt seasoned with dill and herbs.

h3ro

What's your price range and how much rice do you want to cook at one time? If you eat rice a lot (at least once a week), then I would suggest a zojirushi. A $150-$300 one is usually decent and lasts a while.

If you want something on the lower end of that range, I'd go with one o those push button Tiger or Zoji's. My parents had one that lasted for 10+ years of rice almost every day.

I was looking for around $100 or so. I do eat rice at least once a week, if not more. Was looking around Amazon and saw this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-20-Cup-Digital-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B0055FSN0Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413857302&sr=8-4&keywords=rice+cooker

It has really high reviews and it's at a very low price. Any opinions?

Which Zojirushi would you recommend?

Can quinoa also be cooked in these?

CrankyJay

Banned
What the crap? The 5.5 cup one is cheaper than the 3 cup one...

9vGNl2O.png

I was looking for around $100 or so. I do eat rice at least once a week, if not more. Was looking around Amazon and saw this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-20-Cup-Digital-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B0055FSN0Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413857302&sr=8-4&keywords=rice+cooker

It has really high reviews and it's at a very low price. Any opinions?

Which Zojirushi would you recommend?

Can quinoa also be cooked in these?

I was wary of the Aroma one because of the incredibly low price, but reviews on Amazon seem pretty good...so I dunno. If you have an Asian supermarket near you, you may also want to check there, since they usually have rice cookers there and you know... Asians and rice.

Out of your price range, but we have the Zoji HBC10 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MAKVLQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20) which works really well. The higher price is probably for the brand and the induction, but I have to say, the induction works really well and if you use the rice cooker for all the other functions, it's great.

And yes, you can use rice cookers to cook quinoa. That's my go-to way to cook quinoa because it's way easier than cooking it on the stove, which I suck at. I also like putting steel cut oats in the rice cooker the night before, setting the timer, and then tada, fresh steel cut oats in the morning.

MrBig

You mean the quality isn't as good on the bigger model?

After doing a bit of refresher, both of those are Chinese models made for the American market. The brushed metal paneling is the tell. The ones with the more rounded, Japanese aesthetic and Neuro Fuzzy name are their Japanese models.

What I mean to say is that there is a distinction between their production, and the consumer expectations between Japan and America of quality and durability are vastly different. Without getting too much in to it, I'd say look for one of the Neuro Fuzzy Zojirushi or Japan-made Tigers, otherwise just get one of the cheaper domestics. I've got an Aroma cooker that's fine for weekly use.

CrankyJay

Banned
After doing a bit of refresher, both of those are Chinese models made for the American market. The brushed metal paneling is the tell. The ones with the more rounded, Japanese aesthetic and Neuro Fuzzy name are their Japanese models.

What I mean to say is that there is a distinction between their production, and the consumer expectations between Japan and America of quality and durability are vastly different. Without getting too much in to it, I'd say look for one of the Neuro Fuzzy Zojirushi or Japan-made Tigers, otherwise just get one of the cheaper domestics. I've got an Aroma cooker that's fine for weekly use.

I can't imagine a brand like Zojirushi would let the quality of their product diminish, even if produced by a Chinese manufacturer.

MrBig

I can't imagine a brand like Zojirushi would let the quality of their product diminish, even if produced by a Chinese manufacturer.

Lots of good companies outsource their brand recognition for want of money, for reasons just as you show: the brand is expected to be good even if the product is something totally different. I don't want to spread false information as I'm not well versed in this, I'd recommend you read some other forum posts about this topic.

CrankyJay

Banned
Lots of good companies outsource their brand recognition for want of money, for reasons just as you show: the brand is expected to be good even if the product is something totally different. I don't want to spread false information as I'm not well versed in this, I'd recommend you read some other forum posts about this topic.

I went ahead and ordered the 5.5 cup model. I think the multitude of 5 star reviews speaks for itself.

Will report back when I make some rice. Love my Nishiki.

Nothing but anecdotal evidence, but my friend has a fairly recent zoji. She noticed that the non-stick coating inside her rice cooker bowl was coming off, so she actually brought it to the zoji distributor/office in the south bay (south of LA) about it. She told them it was fairly new, she never uses anything abrasive on the inside to clean, nor uses metal on it, and the people at the office took one look at the bowl, said it must have been a fluke, and gave her a replacement free of charge on the spot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Made loco moco! Beef patty cut with lamb, parsley, oregano and rosemary, with apple cider mushroom gravy, as well as side dishes of sauteed mushroom and spring onion.

W03CSb4.jpg

First time trying out some Hawaiian food. Definitely not something you want to be eating often...

Well, ok, I want to, but I really shouldn't.

CrankyJay

Banned
Nothing but anecdotal evidence, but my friend has a fairly recent zoji. She noticed that the non-stick coating inside her rice cooker bowl was coming off, so she actually brought it to the zoji distributor/office in the south bay (south of LA) about it. She told them it was fairly new, she never uses anything abrasive on the inside to clean, nor uses metal on it, and the people at the office took one look at the bowl, said it must have been a fluke, and gave her a replacement free of charge on the spot.

I'll keep on eye on the coating and contact the company if it starts peeling.

zbarron

I can personally vouch for Aroma. I own the 12 cup model and have made white and brown rice, soup, steamed veggies and brownies. I got it at Target on a good sale. I paid like ~$40. The only thing that didn't work amazingly was the brownies, I had it on the cake setting and I think the texture difference through it off because it said it was done long before it actually was.

This stew is actually pictured inside it. It came out great.
15260960725_7702b56a63_z.jpg

does anyone have any good recipes to use some pepperoncini peppers in? I was given a huge jar of really nice ones but I don't want it taking up so much fridge space while I pick my way through them slowly. Using a bunch at once would be great. Thanks!

Zoe

does anyone have any good recipes to use some pepperoncini peppers in? I was given a huge jar of really nice ones but I don't want it taking up so much fridge space while I pick my way through them slowly. Using a bunch at once would be great. Thanks!
Italian beef sandwiches

zbarron

Crappy weather so I decided to try some indoor grilling. I butterflied, pounded and brined the chicken and seasoned it all. After the Lodge Cast Iron grill side of the cooktop was preheated I sprayed it with cooking spray and threw it on.
15636663296_65a5b1622c_h.jpg

Served with a slice of whole grain bread with Irish butter on it and a wedge of Camembert.

zbarron

Today's dinner was hot and spicy:
Nice. Did you make the curry?

I made my best bread yet for dinner yesterday. It's the Serious Eats Workhorse Loaf. I'm taking a break from sourdough until I do more research. Our new fridge got way too cold and I think it may have killed my starter so I need to do some research on that.
15646194426_6e6cffb5d7_h.jpg

15041568524_ba9b4bfa4c_h.jpg

That's a black bean soup served with the fresh bread.
I used a wood kebab skewer with a Bolzano blade in it as my lame.

Tonight's dinner was amazing but not the prettiest so no pictures. It was essentially a slow cooked inside out chicken Parmesan. I took slices of fresh ball mozzarella cheese and coated it in a mix of breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and buttermilk. That is then inserted into the butterflied chicken and then closed and wrapped in bacon. I put that into the dutch oven and sear before putting it into a low oven and cook until the ideal temperature. In the last 5 minutes I threw in a big handful of baby spinach which wilted and absorbed flavor. Once done I sliced the chicken, put the spinach on the side and poured some home made vodka sauce on the chicken.

le-seb

Nice. Did you make the curry?
Well, considering I've added garlic, chili pepper, cumin and salt to my industrial curry powder, I suppose I could answer 'yes' without lying on a technical point of view?
Not really.

Your bread looks really great!

At last something.

Fpaqlew.jpg

Cheese: Haystack Mountain Goat Buttercup
First time in ages that I've had a nice Cow/Goat blended cheese---this one doesn't disappoint in the slightest with a fantastic stretchy melt and smooth flavour! First new thing I've tried from this company in probably (well) over a year too, as while their Queso de Mano was great stuff their "Sunlight" ranked as one of the worst out of freaking nowhere so they'd kind of fallen way off the radar since.

Meat: Aidell's Uncured Mesquite Salame Rather nicely strong on the Mesquite overtones...still probably moreso a fan of the Sundried Tomato/Garlic solely on account of a greater amount of delicious garlicky oil generated...

Crumble: Kettle Brand's Beer Cheddar Nicely sharp little chip without being the sort that gets grating after eating a good portion.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
it most certainly is, but the restaurant itself claims to be Vietnamese, so it _must_ be vietnamese, right? ;)

EDIT: it clams to be a "viet-thai"-restaurant, my bad :p
Was delicious nonetheless.

Ecrofirt

So this little fella is in my fridge right now.
4xJbGj3.jpg

I'm going to be making guanciale with his cheeks today, and head cheese in another day or two with the rest of him.

Now that it's getting colder, I've been craving soups so:

Vegan bun rieu. My mom made the meatballs out of taro, tofu, and water chestnut.

Roasted delicata squash, kale salad, and farro.

I always forget how delicious delicata squash is until the November when I start seeing them pop up at markets. I love how they taste, but I hate cutting them. I could only slice two before my hand started hurting from holding the giant cleaver. So weak.

iavi

Made loco moco! Beef patty cut with lamb, parsley, oregano and rosemary, with apple cider mushroom gravy, as well as side dishes of sauteed mushroom and spring onion.

W03CSb4.jpg

First time trying out some Hawaiian food. Definitely not something you want to be eating often...

Well, ok, I want to, but I really shouldn't.

This looks incredible

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2230_zps434c3246.jpg

Made a batch of fish stock last night, used some in tonight's dinner: poached sea bass and roast asparagus on a (hidden) crisp pan-fried rice cake, with some shrimp dumplings and cilantro

Milchjon

Old garlic is the bane of my existence.

Edit: Put some lemongrass in my chili and it's not even half bad. Also some fish sauce cause I put fish sauce in everything these days.

CrankyJay

Banned
New toy arrived. A few minor complaints since I am an early adopter. But they didn't include a manual (pdf is available online). Screen is scuffed. LED display is crooked. Lol

eflXjsx.jpg

VkiKpyn.jpg

0dsWr0U.jpg

Zyzyxxz

New toy arrived. A few minor complaints since I am an early adopter. But they didn't include a manual (pdf is available online). Screen is scuffed. LED display is crooked. Lol

So far I like it better than the first one except that there is no Android app yet WTF. I guess I'll have to wait for final impressions but the build quality is better and the adjustable latch is definitely a step in the right direction.

CrankyJay

Banned
So far I like it better than the first one except that there is no Android app yet WTF. I guess I'll have to wait for final impressions but the build quality is better and the adjustable latch is definitely a step in the right direction.

No iPhone app yet either. Soon they said. Can't wait to make some steak in this.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

In your opinion, worth upgrading to from the 1st one?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
What was your backer number? I have 1300-something, but haven't received the shipping address email yet, and my unit should've gone out Thursday.

CrankyJay

Banned
Holy crap. I take back what I said about the screen being scuffed or scratched. There was a thin protective sticker on it but it wasn't obvious because there wasn't a tab. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom