• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

In your opinion, worth upgrading to from the 1st one?

Depends on often you use it and how badly you want to be able to control or monitor it from your couch while you game.

I work in a kitchen so I'm actually considering the $400 pro model (ordered one for work but I wanna see if I want one for personal use.

made Guo Bao rou, which is a sweet and sour dish made with pork (I used beef because my friend didn't like pork). She ate all of it. I only got a little, LOL.
DTZiIiO.jpg

Be honest Gaf, does it look better (I messed up by putting some sauce on top I think).

ODsWz8J.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been on a serious cutting diet for the past few months, so I've been basically living on chicken breasts and tuna, but this weekend I had the most wonderful cheat meal.

Meet the pizzadilla, aka the result of a pizza and a quesadilla having sweaty, unprotected sex in the back of a ratty Camaro.

They may look small, but those are actually full sized tortillas.

I followed this recipe and used homemade tomato sauce (which fucked over my schedule, as I didn't compute the 1 hour required to reduce it) and it was a resounding success. Like, actual cheers and everything. Still, I have some observations to make in case somebody wants to give it a try:

• Make sure not to use too much tomato sauce on the first layer, otherwise the taste will be a bit overpowering unless you use plenty of savoury toppings.
  • Are you using bacon or canned mushrooms? Do fry them lightly before putting them on top. Mushrooms in particular contain a lot of water, so you may want to get rid of some of it.
  • Use a BIG spatula or two to flip the first layer, otherwise the tortillas may "disengage" and make a small mess. I was able to salvage the second one with some quick thinking (the bottom tortilla separated upon flipping, leaking gooey cheese and tomato sauce all over the pan before I made a quick pouch bending the tortilla towards the bottom), but I can see somebody messing an entire pizzadilla because he used a smaller spatula or just a plain old wooden spoon (don't do that).

Pizzadillas are extremely easy and quick to make once you have all the ingredients prepped and they are very easy to "customize" so to speak. The first one had a mix of shiitake mushrooms and pepperoni, while the second one was a plain old bacon and mushrooms one. I used the bottom layer to embed some extra basil and mushrooms in mine, and it was a GOOD decision.

Yeah, the mechanics look sound, though if too much trouble you can just apply much of it to only doing a tortilla at a time as per waay on back in the thread.

Man, I miss my good tortillas and various other flatbreads and such I used to be able to get around here back before the Naan was a thing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Honestly, they are so easy to make I see no point in doing the old one-tortilla pizza unless you want something lighter (and if you are going down with greasy, snack-y pizza, you may as well go full throttle with it).

The only tricky part is to flip them right, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a big spatula at hand.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Meet the pizzadilla, aka the result of a pizza and a quesadilla having sweaty, unprotected sex in the back of a ratty Camaro.

I make pretty much the same thing, but I only sprinkle a light amount of mozarella between the tortilla layers to stick them together. I don't put any sauce in between. Seems to work out well from my perspective as it makes the base cheesy and crispy without distracting from the toppings (hence your note of caution regarding sauce).

Super easy and feels "lighter" than actual pizza (though whether it is or not from a calorie perspective I don't know).

A couple of mine

My new barbeque has a pizza stone, so I might have to try cooking on that at some point now summer is rolling around (and with a real pizza base too).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, those look so nice.

BTW, what's the consensus on stand mixers for making your own pizza dough? Is it really that much better than the one you can find premade at the supermarket or are they a worthy purchase? There's this cheapy (€100) 1,000W mixer over Amazon that is getting rave reviews, but I'm not sure if it makes any sense buying one.

zbarron

New toy arrived. A few minor complaints since I am an early adopter. But they didn't include a manual (pdf is available online). Screen is scuffed. LED display is crooked. Lol
I want one so bad when it comes out. Can't wait for more impressions.

Man, those look so nice.

BTW, what's the consensus on stand mixers for making your own pizza dough? Is it really that much better than the one you can find premade at the supermarket or are they a worthy purchase? There's this cheapy (€100) 1,000W mixer over Amazon that is getting rave reviews, but I'm not sure if it makes any sense buying one.
First let me say thanks for posting your impressions on the pizzadilla. I've been wanting to give it a shot since I saw the recipe posted. I want to make my own tortillas though.

What style of pizza are you going for? If you are going thin crust or with a strong sauce/ lots of toppings then a store bought dough will suffice just fine. I've "cheated" and used ones before. If you want a basic pizza or a Neapolitan pizza make your own dough. As for the stand mixer question I love mine. Then again I make fresh bread about twice a week and use it for meringues, cakes, cookies and more. If you aren't going to use your stand mixer much I'd suggest against it. Try a no knead pizza dough recipe which requires little more than a bowl. The no knead recipes are pretty easy, hard to mess up and cheap since they don't take much ingredients or equipment.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
First let me say thanks for posting your impressions on the pizzadilla. I've been wanting to give it a shot since I saw the recipe posted. I want to make my own tortillas though.

What style of pizza are you going for? If you are going thin crust or with a strong sauce/ lots of toppings then a store bought dough will suffice just fine. I've "cheated" and used ones before. If you want a basic pizza or a Neapolitan pizza make your own dough. As for the stand mixer question I love mine. Then again I make fresh bread about twice a week and use it for meringues, cakes, cookies and more. If you aren't going to use your stand mixer much I'd suggest against it. Try a no knead pizza dough recipe which requires little more than a bowl. The no knead recipes are pretty easy, hard to mess up and cheap since they don't take much ingredients or equipment.

I use tortillas out of convenience seeing as I usually have some on hand, and don't know how nor want to expend the time and energy to make my own proper pizza dough (nor do I have a stand mixer yet).

It might not taste like real pizza but it tastes good and is super fast to make this way. My above examples took all of 5 minutes to prep and not much longer to cook.

GiJoccin

no fair! i was number 500 on the anova ordering, and mine is coming this week

can't complain though, excited to start using it

quick question, i'm going to give this recipe a shot in 2 weeks: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/the-food-lab-slow-smoked-40-ounce-dry-aged-porterhouse-steak.html

i have an 18.5 WSM, and Kenji used a kettle in that recipe.

i was thinking about doing half a chimney for the smoke. i've never done a smoke at such a low temp (175-200) and was wondering if half a chimney would be too much fuel to keep the temp down, and if i should consider put in even less fuel than that

CrankyJay

Banned
no fair! i was number 500 on the anova ordering, and mine is coming this week

can't complain though, excited to start using it

quick question, i'm going to give this recipe a shot in 2 weeks: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/the-food-lab-slow-smoked-40-ounce-dry-aged-porterhouse-steak.html

i have an 18.5 WSM, and Kenji used a kettle in that recipe.

i was thinking about doing half a chimney for the smoke. i've never done a smoke at such a low temp (175-200) and was wondering if half a chimney would be too much fuel to keep the temp down, and if i should consider put in even less fuel than that
Fully lit half a chimney may be too many coals in a WSM, but not a Kettle...probably because of the height of the WSM where the hotter air flows to the top.
You could try doing a third, and adjusting the vents on the bottom until you dial into the temperature you want.

If you don't like the temp your WSM is throwing off, you could always take some long times and remove some lit coals one at a time until you get the temperature you're looking for.

As for your Anova, just a heads up, there is a clear sticker on the display you can peel off. It doesn't look like there is one but it's there...wish they put a tab on the sticker to make it more obvious.

edit: holy shit, just read that article...love the presentation they did

GiJoccin

Fully lit half a chimney may be too many coals in a WSM, but not a Kettle...probably because of the height of the WSM where the hotter air flows to the top.
You could try doing a third, and adjusting the vents on the bottom until you dial into the temperature you want.

yeah, maybe i'll try less coals, or maybe use the minion method, i'll think on it

also, i kind of cheat with my smokes... i got the iq 110 to make longer smokes easier (did a few without using it to get a feel for managing the vents myself before i hooked it up), so that would help remove some of the guesswork

DJ_Lae

I finally got around to trying a roast in my pressure cooker after messing around with various other things over the past couple of months.

All I had was a little pork rib roast, dumped it in there for 35 minutes (this is with an Instant Pot so that might be comparable to 25 minutes in a regular pressure cooker) after searing with a rub and then adding broth to bring up to about 1.5 cups of liquid.

It was glorious. I don't know what I expected, exactly, but it was probably something along the lines of the dried out roasts I had when growing up, when you pretty much needed gravy to even swallow the meat. I couldn't believe how tender it was, I definitely plan on making it again (even went back to the store and bought a slightly larger roast).

My youngest daughter loved it too, and ended up eating more than my wife did. Didn't get pictures, though.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
haha, that's what my manager was saying.

some day.

A friend has one, they're pretty cool. But he works with food, so he can afford more toys. And has the space for it.

They're also good for bartenders who wants to send shots of gin to another bartender at another bar (and enlists us as messengers)

Zyzyxxz

Just go with a chamber vacuum ;)

I have one but the cheapest one on the market is the Vacmaster VP120 which I have and I broke it within a year due to heavy restaurant use.

For home use I think it will laste but still I'm a bit pissed I got a $600 paperweight now that I will have to spend money to make it functional.

The problem is that its a dry pump and you basically can't really maintain it with oil changes.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I have one but the cheapest one on the market is the Vacmaster VP120 which I have and I broke it within a year due to heavy restaurant use.

For home use I think it will laste but still I'm a bit pissed I got a $600 paperweight now that I will have to spend money to make it functional.

The problem is that its a dry pump and you basically can't really maintain it with oil changes.

It was a pretty tongue in cheek recommendation, considering the cost. :)

My Anova is currently being transported from Koeln. Excited! Must buy some ziplock bags to use prior to my vac getting here.

CrankyJay

Banned
My Anova is currently being transported from Koeln. Excited! Must buy some ziplock bags to use prior to my vac getting here.

Yeah, I was reading up on this. Trying to figure out if my Glad freezer bags will work as well. They have a double seal and apparently you can microwave in them, so I'd imagine a water bath at 140F wouldn't be too bad.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yeah, I was reading up on this. Trying to figure out if my Glad freezer bags will work as well. They have a double seal and apparently you can microwave in them, so I'd imagine a water bath at 140F wouldn't be too bad.

The recipes I've read from Modernist Cuisine: At home, calls for either proper vac-bags, or zip lock ones. They have a list of which are suitable IIRC, I can check when I get home.

CrankyJay

Banned
The recipes I've read from Modernist Cuisine: At home, calls for either proper vac-bags, or zip lock ones. They have a list of which are suitable IIRC, I can check when I get home.

Yeah, may just go out and get the ziplock ones. A chain store here in America sells the sous vide supreme bags but unfortunately none of my area stores has them in stock.

Do you have any links to the polyscience reviews? Amazon only had like 5 reviews.

It seems the new foodsavers aren't as good as they used to be. Not as good seals and the overall process is longer

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yeah, may just go out and get the ziplock ones. A chain store here in America sells the sous vide supreme bags but unfortunately none of my area stores has them in stock.

Do you have any links to the polyscience reviews? Amazon only had like 5 reviews.

It seems the new foodsavers aren't as good as they used to be. Not as good seals and the overall process is longer

Here

http://www.eatdrinkexperience.com/new-polyscience-vacuum-sealers/

http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2014/02/polyscience-200-series-vacuum-sealing-system-product-review/

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I think I might roll with the 150 version. I am definitely a novice when it comes to this stuff, so I'd rather ease myself in. If I feel I'm missing out on the extra features I may just upgrade down the road.

Probably smart, but I'm stuck om the idea of easily varying the size of the bag.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made a big batch of chili yesterday for "dinner" (ready at 23:30...), but only ate two tacos worth. Made brunch with some of it today. Pan-fried corn tortillas on the bottom, chili, pickled red onion, two fried eggs, salsa, grated cheese, pickled jalapenos, and topped with some chopped cilantro.

BRsIE0k.jpg

Yes Boss!

Made some short ribs cooked in red wine. I fell asleep so they slow-cooked for eight hours instead of four but they came out just as good. With mashed potatoes and fried shallots:

ACBB34EF-F8DD-4584-B249-09214CB76449_zpsg5mcc73g.jpg

You guys and your home-made croissants inspired me. Plus, a pastry chef friend of mine tipped me off on this, but Trader Joe's frozen croissants are PRETTY DAMN GOOD. Just let them rise overnight, stick in the oven, and 25 mins later:

A flakey, buttery croissant. (This one is the special pumpkin edition)

A friend of mine stopped being a vegetarian, so I cooked him a non-vegetarian meal. Go big or go home!

lamb shanks braised in stout

It was my first time cooking lamb ever, and it took longer than I expected, but it was delicious. I think I could have left it longer in the oven for the super tender fall-off-the-bone meat.

theapg

Any easy tilapia recipes? I bought a big frozen bag of it today. I really only know the classic olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon in the oven recipe.

CrankyJay

Banned
First usage of my Anova. No pics of the finished result, but the texture of the salmon was amazing.

Currently:

I'm jealous. I decided to wait until my vacuum sealer arrives and then got hit by that massive snow storm in Buffalo so it's sitting on a delivery truck somewhere

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm jealous. I decided to wait until my vacuum sealer arrives and then got hit by that massive snow storm in Buffalo so it's sitting on a delivery truck somewhere

I'm not even sure where mine is. I uses water displacement method for my fish, and had the butcher vacuum the meat.

Currently doing scrambled eggs from Modernist Cuisine at Home.

Here's the meat from yesterday, probably not the right cut or time cooked as it came out a little tougher than I'd have liked.

lBKixkW.jpg

le-seb

This week, I had an opportunity to buy this thing for almost nothing:

I know pancakes are a thing in N.A. for breakfast, but I'm not sure they're also eaten as main salted courses, the way we do it in some parts of France.
However, you guess it, this is a... er... special kind of pan for pancakes, a.k.a. a billig in Brittany.

This is my batter:
As you can see, it's rather dark. The reason is I'm not using common wheat, like you would when making crêpes, but buckwheat flour, because I'm making some nice galettes de blé noir.

And here we go!

This was my first time using a billig, and I'm still a rookie at using the rozell to spread the batter on the plate, so they're not super regular (yet).

First one for starters: andouille, apples and a pinch of calvados

Second one is main course: poulet basquaise (chicken in tomatoes, onions and sweet peppers sauce)

Cheese time with third and last one: chèvre chaud (goat cheese)
This one was really amazing: crunchy galette outside and melting cheese inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom