• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

tnw said:
speaking of broccoli, I've found this little guy perfect for instant, perfect steamed broccoli

img12.jpg

put a tablespoon of water in the bottom, put in the broccoli florets, 90 seconds in the microwave, and you've got awesome broccoli.

I use it for making pasta in the microwave too. just fill the tub without the strainer part in it with water and pasta, water and pasta in, 10 or so minutes in the microwave, strain with strainer part, awesome way to make a single portion of pasta really fast.

:D

(they also make a steamer type thing like this for mantou and gyouza)

Holy crap that is convenient!

Especially the part about the gyoza and mantou, where can I buy it?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
tnw said:
speaking of broccoli, I've found this little guy perfect for instant, perfect steamed broccoli

img12.jpg

(they also make a steamer type thing like this for mantou and gyouza)

Man this is awesome, luckily the rice cooker has a filter on the top so when you cooking the rice, it will steam the stuff in the morning.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just ordered one of those "baker's edge brownie pans" yesterday, and it shipped today. as soon as it gets here i'm making some walnut laden brownies and updating you guys with how awesome their complete corner chewiness is.

tnw

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Holy crap that is convenient!

Especially the part about the gyoza and mantou, where can I buy it?

they're avaliable at any grocery store in japan......

they've got to sell them somewhere in the US though.

here's a picture of the mantou one.

img12471500.jpg

the brand line looks like this in general

4901422338008.jpg

scottnak

Spring Break = Home = means I have access to the phone cable I left at home. Some interesting makings I'd like to share. Nothing like what's being shown here, but it's something :p

Zyzyxxz

tnw said:
they're avaliable at any grocery store in japan......

they've got to sell them somewhere in the US though.

Actually I think Mitsuwa in United States should have it, its one of the few chain (though small) Japanese stores.

I totally forgot about that place until now, the reason I do not shop there much is that the prices are like a real Japanese supermarket (meaning expensive)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
It's "Karfreitag" (Good Friday) in Germany, the most important holiday in the catholic calendar. Out of tradition, we have no meat, but fish on this day. Even if the wife and I are not especially the most religious people on earth, Karfreitag is a good opportunity to do some fish for a change. Since all shops are closed today, I had to buy some more rugged fish as e.g. redfish. I breaded it and served it with a mustard/dill sauce. The wife had some potatoes as a side, I felt more like some pasta.

Preparation can be found here, the result for today was quite tasty:
smallP1030505.jpg

BONUS: fullsize pic!

Zyzyxxz

very nice looking fish, if I had knew I would have taken the salmon out of my freezer but oh well.

Time for me to cook lunch.

*edit*

Made some polka kielbasa (I think its Americanized) with some boiled potatoes and carrots as a side for lunch.

DSC00992.jpg

onkel: fish looks great! nothing is more tasty than a crispy fried fish, with not a hint of grease.

tonight was steak night. bought a nice ribeye + garlic anchovy butter + roasted potatoes + chickpea salad.

bon appetit!

2350485631_ee00fe3f06.jpg

tnw

Banned
Grecco said:
Someone has to tell me where i can get that brocoli micowaver thingy in the states.

they're awesome for potatoes too (and any vegetable really). just cut a potato or two into big chunks, add a tbsp of water, and microwave for like 5 minutes or so, BAM instant jagabataa :9

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, that's a damn fine looking steak! and quite creative sides, too. Thanks for sharing. Do you prefer your steaks english, medium or well done?

The kielbasa pan looks good too, Zyzyxxz, reminds me of a similar dish from university.

Cooking schedule for the easter holidays:
Tonight will be a voluptious salad with a few hamburgers as a side. Also, the wife will paint some eggs.

For easter sunday I'll try to make a Pizza Napoletana according to the EU directive, with some calzones as a backup.
Easter monday we are invited over to the parents for some beef dish and Toast Hawaii in the evening to finish it off old school.

What are your easter dishes?

painey

tomorrow is easter sunday which means I will be enjoying a huge roast dinner cooked by my mother :D I cant wait. I only get 3 roast dinners a year, christmas day, new years day and easter sunday. Ill take some pics if I remember :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
pics of the roast would be ace, painey! looking forward to it.

smirk, GOOD BOY!:D

here's our coloured eggs for easter:
smallP1030510.jpg

smallP1030508.jpg

smallP1030511.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Salad with burgers as side dish (I used the salad ingredients as toppings for ze burgers, fresh cucumber slices are a recommendation from me to you):
smallP1030514.jpg

smallP1030515.jpg

smallP1030522.jpg

smallP1030521.jpg

Enjoy!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey OnkleC, you made the improved ham sandwich (I can't find the original one, but it's the one that looks like it's sticking its tongue out which people often post)!

smallP1030562.jpg

And damn this thread makes me so hungry.

Kazuya

The pizza does look like the ones I tasted in Naples some years ago. It looks very nice !
And what's with the watch ? :p

I've been sick for the past few days, I'm hungry but I cannot eat anything :( I'd really like a pizza right now >_<

Nice hamburgers too ! Myself when I make some hamburgers I usually take a harder bread, like little ciabattas ^^

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ether_Snake said:
Hey OnkleC, you made the improved ham sandwich (I can't find the original one, but it's the one that looks like it's sticking its tongue out which people often post)!

And damn this thread makes me so hungry.
:lol :lol :lol

thanks for the kudos, kazou.

Zyzyxxz

the pizza looks delicious OnkelC.

I'll probably cook something up tomorrow if I am not too lazy, probably some Loco Moco since its easy to make.

Wow Jet, that ham looks great. What's that crepe-looking thing at the top of your dish?

Dinner a few nights ago for me was tofu katsu (home made) and curry (home made with store-bought curry hehehe):
2357342166_770111268d_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That's a serious array of dishes, jet1911! Thank you for sharing.

Our finish for this long easter weekend was Toast Hawaii (pics from ze archive):
smallP1030024.jpg

smallP1030027.jpg

And that's it from me for the week. See you all next weekend and keep sharing, folks!

Jirotrom

hey guys... any cooks on here from Texas. The reason i ask is because I'm about to order this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004U9VA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008W71V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

any of you used these appliances before, I here they are great and I'm wondering what I need to watch out for?

Also I would like an enamel based dutch oven for pot roasts but I would like to keep the money expense a little lower since I'm picking these up. Preferably something that can withstand high heat.

bovo

Had a roast dinner on Easter Sunday.

Consisting of (in no particular order): Roast chicken, roast potatoes with rosemary and garlic, sage and onion stuffing, green beans and leeks in white sauce.

A bonus picture is the chicken noodle soup made from the remains of the chicken a couple of days later.

Not pictured is the chicken sandwich I had the day after Easter...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Very fine pictures, bovo! thanks for sharing. Did you cook the remains of the roast chicken for the soup?

Schedule for the weekend is Spätzle!

I'll make Käsespätzle tonight and a pork tenderloin stew with Spätzle tomorrow. Stay tuned and share yours!

Dascu

Anyone got any tips for a duck filet dinner? Preferably nothing too out of the ordinary. Some tips for potatoes would be very nice as well. It's either going to be french fries of gratin dauphinois, but if anyone can give a good alternative, go ahead.

tnw

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Dinner a few nights ago for me was tofu katsu (home made)

wow, what an awesome idea! I'm going to have to try that.

Schedule for the weekend is Spätzle!

yeay!

Onkel, I had a really nice thing from that german bakery I go to. It was pretzel dough baked into a small loaf with cheese on top of it. What's the name of it? It's pretty good!

tnw

Banned
Laugenbrötchen, yeah that's what it was called. really tasty! :9

so lye rolls are more popular in the south while pretzels are popular in the north? that's what wikipedia said.

jarosh

tnw said:
Laugenbrötchen, yeah that's what it was called. really tasty! :9

so lye rolls are more popular in the south while pretzels are popular in the north? that's what wikipedia said.
lye rolls are very popular in switzerland too. actually there's all kinds of breads or buns made with lye. very popular are lye croissants for example. they're reeeeally good.

Laugengipfeli-075.jpg
1772_laugengipfel.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Here's the cheesy goodness that are Käsespätzle. I used red onions, hence the unusual colour:
smallP1030571.jpg

Some salad as a side dish, I made the dressing from lemon juice, dill, cream and onions with a little salt and sugar:
smallP1030578.jpg

Enjoy!

A humble request for the photoshop professionals:
While browsing through the photos, I found that these two shots, viewed in a sequence, give a nice 3D effect. Could somebody make a GIF from them please?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Spaetzle/P1030571.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Spaetzle/P1030572.jpg

Thank you very much in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom