• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Here's Pasta with carrot pesto (prep can be found here):
smallP1010715.jpg

tnw

Banned
some of you may know this, but in japan you can get delivery of all kinds of food. They will deliver ramen and what not to your door. You eat it, and then just leave the dishes outside of your apartment etc., door and they come and pick it up the next day or whatever. It's really quite nice!

Anyway, my roommates and I ordered some kamameshi for dinner tonight :D

The picture was kind of an afterthought, so I apologize for the already eaten stuff. It was pretty cool, it came with a hot pitcher of kombu dashi (broth) to make ochazuke with the rice in the pot. It came with some nice shinko ('pickles') and a dab of real wasabi, and some sliced scallions. We also ordered some edamame seperately! :9.

I had binbinbap, and my roommates got tai (red snapper?) and unagi (eel). They were really skeptical about it, but they ended up really liking it.

2391592221_9ca0f3fc90.jpg

hoisin sauce
garlic
ginger
honey
soy
vegetable oil

they turned out quite nice, and done in under an hour. not as tender as my slow-cooked version, but very flavorful and crunchy on the outside.

if i'm up to it - white chocolate + macadamic nut cookies today!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks! sounds a good cure for chicken, too.

Made some fish'n'chips for the wife tonight (OT made me do it):
smallP1030604.jpg

and some pollock with a topping fropm breadcrumbs on rice for myself:
smallP1030609.jpg

Enjoy!

DonCuco: what's your ceviche recipe? it's always something i've wanted to make, since i am pretty near the coast. any tips?

made brisket tonight with peas and mashed potatoes. used the oven-baked Coke recipe!

2394850090_ecdd38a915.jpg

Zyzyxxz

^Brisket looks good Smirk.

here is my contribution for today:

It was my first time making it and I think there are a couple things I can improve on with this dish but it usually will look the same no matter the taste.

Baked pork chop rice. I layered it from bottom to top with egg fried rice, tomatoes, pan seared pork chop, onions, and a mixture of tomato soup and ketchup, and to finally top it off cheese. Then threw it in the oven for about 20 minutes @ 350 F.

I believe it originates from Macau which was once a Portuguese colony hence the other name for this dish is Portuguese Baked Pork Chops. It's quite a common dish which I ordered alot while living in Hong Kong and can be had quite cheaply though.
IMG_1641.jpg

If you guys ever find yourself in Hong Kong go to one of these:
1041309774_d420380a85_o.jpg

and try the baked pork chop rice there

Wow great food everyone. Fish and chips look delicious!

Dinner a few nights ago was angel hair pasta, home made pesto, and roasted tomatoes with mushrooms:
2394429141_abf0704032_o.jpg

Yesterday, we went to the farmer's market and got some of these:
2395264924_9c9f86edd9_o.jpg

and made this (our pizza got deformed in the process of sliding it into the oven):
2394429715_dbe9974ab5_o.jpg

DonCuco

Well before I share the shrimp ceviche reipe I just gotta say a couple of things. The prep time is extremely fast. Taking that into consideration, it is best to make the ceviche and serve it right there and then. Second ceviche is always more on the raw side so if any of you can't handle that then I would suggest you dont try it.

2 pounds of med sized shrimp peeled. ( I suggest you butterfly them so the lime can penetrate more)

2 to 3 garlic cloves

2 cucumbers peeled and diced

2 tomatos diced

1 onion diced

salt

fresh ground black pepper

the juice of 15 - 17 lemons or limes..(lime is stronger so use less)

1 bunch of cilantro

3 fresh jalapenos or serranos * if you can find them

set aside your peeled shrimp
add a tbl spoon of salt
add the ground pepper to your liking
add the juice of the lemons or limes but save about a cup
once you add the juice you will notice that the shrimp will start gettign a pink color (that's what we want)
next cut in half your jalapenos or serranos, but make sure to smell the chiles. Hot ones have a very strong smell. If you get a strong smell use 1 or 2 only.
take your cupe of lemon juice , 3 cloves of garlic and jalapenos and put into a blender along with the cilantro and blend.
add that mixture to the shrimp
add your diced tomatos , cucumber and onions

stir .. you can add more salt of ground pepper to your liking.

get some tostadas and enjoy.

the ceviche is more on the spicey side , but not volcano hot.. You should have a little heat, but once you are hooked and keep eating it then the heat starts rising.. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ceviche recipe sounds awesome! Thanks!

And great contributions, everybody. nakedsushi, I can feel the pain of deformed pizza, ahd it happening when I last made some, too. Especially difficut with calzones:lol

Roi said:
Great thread! Why didn't I found it sooner ?!
You didn't know it? I thought you came across it in the last "will cook for new avatar" thread. Anyway, welcome and have fun!

Your tales of delicious pasta inspired me to make my own.

This idea failed miserably, while chopping the broccoli I spilled the beer I was drinking, the glass shattered on the floor, glass shards flew up and got in the broccoli. After Cleaning everything it was 9:45, so we just heated a pizza.

When the pizza was done, my Fiancee went to get a platter to serve it on. Something fell out off the shelf and knocked a bottle of Salad dressing/Bread dip (Oil + vinegar and herbs basically), it then shattered on the floor and we had to clean it up.

Basically we didn't get to eat our dinner till 10:30, when it had already gotten cold.

I hate days in the kitchen like that :(

Zyzyxxz

electricpirate said:
Your tales of delicious pasta inspired me to make my own.

This idea failed miserably, while chopping the broccoli I spilled the beer I was drinking, the glass shattered on the floor, glass shards flew up and got in the broccoli. After Cleaning everything it was 9:45, so we just heated a pizza.

When the pizza was done, my Fiancee went to get a platter to serve it on. Something fell out off the shelf and knocked a bottle of Salad dressing/Bread dip (Oil + vinegar and herbs basically), it then shattered on the floor and we had to clean it up.

Basically we didn't get to eat our dinner till 10:30, when it had already gotten cold.

I hate days in the kitchen like that :(

lol, well at least your oven didn't blow up.

*knock on wood*

Flo_Evans

Found a new BBQ place.

ojfkg8.jpg

Pappy's. Amazing. Had the pulled pork with a side of baked beans and a deep fried corn on the cob. It was like butter. BUTTER. I am going back ASAP. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That's some fine looking BBQ! I had an interesting dish yesterday, Tapas that were made to go with BEER(!). Pics to follow this weekend. stay tuned and keep sharing, folks!

OnkelC said:
That's some fine looking BBQ! I had an interesting dish yesterday, Tapas that were made to go with BEER(!). Pics to follow this weekend. stay tuned and keep sharing, folks!

That sounds like itzakaya food! Delicious.

OnkelC said:

Your small plates.

SHOW THEM TO ME.

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
It's lunch time and I only got a glass of water. What's happening at your place, food-wise?

it's pissing rain here,

I had a kombini dinner :(

wasabi tuna salad roll sushi, some kuromitsu and kinako flavored cookie dealies, and a nasty egg salad sandwich.

and a bunch of oolong tea.

not too bad I guess.

Zyzyxxz

gah too lazy to take a pic again but I made Japanese curry so nothing big.

Though I did experiment today, appearance wise it was the same but in addition to the usual potato, carrots, chicken, and onions I added apple and ketchup. I learned that they helped to make the curry sweeter and it did taste better than normally.

2408418555_179ffd6bbd_o.jpg

I made vegan fish taco a few nights ago. What's vegan about fish? Well, I didn't actually use fish. I froze some tofu, defrosted it, battered it with flour and panko, and fried it. It actually had a fish-sticks-like texture. I love frozen tofu because of that.

Home made pico de gallo, guacamole, some grilled mushrooms on top of some corn tortilla with the "fish" made it delicious if I do say so myself. I think I can even fool some meat eaters with it.:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
fish or not, it looks awesome! Thanks for sharing, nakedsushi.

Here's the promised (blurry) pic of the Tapas for beer:
smallIMG_0111.jpg

The concept was striking. The owner of the brewery where I had them was always fond of the Traditional Tapas and the idea behind them, but found them inappropriate to go with beer. He then thought of the typical german dishes that are served with beer over here and "germanized" them down to Tapas-sized servings. He's got an array of 18 small dishes which can be ordered in batches of 3 or 6. I had (from left to right): baked camembert with lingonberry jam, small "Frikadellen"with rotisseur mustard and panfries with a sunny side up. Other choices are BBQed ribs, a slice of aspic, Leberkäse, a mini-Schnitzel and other delights. Very good idea to cater a medium crowd with a lot of bite-sized chunks IMHO.

On a side note, I started the BBQ season 2008 yesterday, the weather gods were not amused:
smallP1030677.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Keep sharing, folks!

Baking isn't usually my thing, and I don't know how tasty all the red dye in this frosting looks, but here's a couple from a birthday cake I made for my son this week.

2411089080_d27409d3c1.jpg

2410259801_db03efbba6.jpg

bovo

I made these for the first time a month or two ago, but the pictures weren't very good so didn't bother posting them.

Thanks to springtime and clock changes, there's now enough natural light in the evening to make my food look better :lol

Halloumi kebabs.

Halloumi cheese cut into cubes with courgette, mushrooms and onion. Marinated in a shop bought teriyaki marinade:

A few hours later, ingredients skewered on skewers:

Fried rice as an accompaniment:

After grilling (in the UK sense - in the cooker - under the grill):

tnw

Banned
great looking kebabs bovo!

that's a really good idea for tofu, nakedsushi. I'll have to try that some time.

johnsenclan, that cake is so sweet. i bet your kid loved it.

those german tapas sound interesting onkel, especially the lingonberry and camembert one.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I could eat like half of that lasagna in one sitting right now, Yes Boss! looks delicious and the recipe is kinda extra yummy. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the thread. Also share your future dishes with us, too, please.

Same goes to you, Twilight Princess. Wonderful photography, more of it please!

bovo, very nice approach to the halloumi theme! good to see you back.

I think I'll have trash food tonight, McD's has spawned a new product, called the "M":
der_m.jpg

from the description, it's served without any sauce or condiment.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Here's a wedding cake I made for a work friend:

lee64.jpg

The cakes are:
1) Victoria Sponge with fresh strawberry jam and buttercream filling, topped with fresh cream, pink champagne truffles and white chocolate covered raspberries.

2) Mint chocolate Baileys cheesecake, with digestive biscuit base, topped with fresh mint chocolate baileys cream, 70% cocoa Lindor truffles, and After Eight mint sticks.

3) Double-filled banoffi pie, with shortcrust pastry base and topped with fresh cream and dusted with caramel chocolate powder.

Phew!

lee12a.jpg

Good choice! I didn't give myself any burns with this pie ;)

lee11a.jpg

The cake topper. Being my first colour topper I am quite pleased at how it turned out! I plan to improve my sculpting abilities. The Victoria sponge was nice and light and buttery tasting, and it was very tall too! It's slightly subsiding in this pic, but it didn't matter as it was cut up and chomped in no time!

I did take some 'in progress' pics of the cheesecake, but I forgot about documenting it halfway through, my mind was on finishing the topper.

tnw

Banned
wow, nice effort on those cakes

digestive biscuit base sounds really tasty. I'll have to keep that in mind.

epicurious.com has a really nice ginger cake with kumquat recipe. I usually do it without the kumquats though. I love them, but candying them makes the whole thing way too sweet.

the cake itself is delicious though.

did you make the truffles yourself? making truffles is kind of fun :D

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Next time I'll make my own truffles! I made some chocolate fudge and peanut brittle on Sunday, God save my tooth enamel.
I gave her the choice of Oreo or Digestive base (we don't have Graham Crackers in the UK.) They lend themselves well to plain vanilla or white chocolate cheesecakes, but there's no rules in my kitchen!
I'll track that recipe down, I love ginger cake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom