• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
ha, i knew it. cloudwalking thought so too. everyone thought you were a dude, nakedsushi. ;)

nope I knew she was a chick for a while.

Anyway nothing special from me today, I did make sukiyaki earlier but it did not turn out well. Probably because I had no regular soy sauce and only vinegar soy sauce. Never doing that again.

2612345398_4715c8bd8a.jpg

2612345644_b1c299ce67.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
2612203605_cc2747c511.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Very, very simple recipe for the sauce. Butter, tabasco sauce, garlic, chili pepper powder, and just a little bit of ketchup to thicken it a little bit.

They were awesome.

Mallika

RevenantKioku said:
Very, very simple recipe for the sauce. Butter, tabasco sauce, garlic, chili pepper powder, and just a little bit of ketchup to thicken it a little bit.

They were awesome.
Hehe Rev, I was just going to make myself some hot wings today. I'll try your sauce!

Darko

Tuvoc said:
You need
353px-White_Castle_logo.svg.png

and
theenemy.jpg

I know what you're thinking. And yes, it is in fact a cardboard briefcase filled with 30(or 100!) little hamburgers.

Ive been craving these so bad since Harold and Kumar but there isnt one remotley close to me :(

Zyzyxxz

Urban Scholar said:
Your dishes are always so tasty looking, especially those noodles, tomatoes, and meatballs(correct me if wrong). I really need to step it up in the kitchen

yes please do post some stuff! If you have before I don't think I've seen anything recent from you.

tri_willy

time for my picture post debut. these pics are old unfortunately
DSC06864.jpg

this was a customised pad thai noodle dish i prepared a while ago. mainly comprises of flat
rice noodles, chicken, shitake mushrooms (after being soaked for a long time), capsicum,
and the sauce i made up which included bbq, tomato, chilli and some hoi sin sauce.

DSC06919.jpg

made a customised risotto, which included pre cooked rice, beef, spinach, used some pasta
sauce (a cheap shortcut) and some cheddar to thicken the sauce a bit. an extra chilli was an
optional thing.

SonnyBoy

RevenantKioku said:
2612203605_cc2747c511.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

They were awesome.

I want to try to make your sauce, how much of what do I add?

edit.. I see that you're banned :lol

Anyone think they can help me?

Zyzyxxz said:

I love how you doctored up the salad with bacon. "Hm...this salad is too healthy. BACON!"

Nice pad thai tri_willy. I've never had it with thick noodles, but it sounds delicious. I love thick noodles, but places I go to only use the thick noodles for pad kee mao.

tri_willy

nakedsushi said:
I love how you doctored up the salad with bacon. "Hm...this salad is too healthy. BACON!"

Nice pad thai tri_willy. I've never had it with thick noodles, but it sounds delicious. I love thick noodles, but places I go to only use the thick noodles for pad kee mao.

cheers naked sushi! i used those packet rice noodles like the ones people use to make pho and therefore are more slim than those thick noodles used to make drunken noodles and other dishes. would love to see someone post some kway teow, that stuff is so good

Zyzyxxz

I would make my fried rice in a similar way as well, I like the way your wok looks like its been thru a decade of us, same way with mine.

Dice Man said:
How did you prepare the pork? Also, did you cook the rice the night before and refrigerate it? That's what every recipe I've seen says to do, but I can never seem to get it right. Even after refrigerating my rice still just clumps together and then turns into a mush when I try to fry it.

Tips?

Leftover rice. Leftover cha siew. Best way to do it. It's kind of a "leftover" kind of dish. : )

I just fried the pork a bit in some oil beforehand. The rice is clumpy at first, but as long as you use the right amount of oil and keep stirring it turns out ok. Hope that helps... : )

trancekr

Korean style "Red pepper sauce noodle"

Sauce - red pepper paste, red pepper powder, vinegar, soy sauce, sesami oil, diced garlic, diced onion and little bit of sugar.

Topping - Kimchi, onion, egg, and brocolli

2618314129_e6f4cc6b01_b.jpg

2618314505_07b9c6f960_b.jpg

What a coincidence, I made Korean noodles the other day for dinner too. Except with broth.

Naengmyun (cold noodles in cold broth):
2618170181_f3cd58512a_o.jpg

Toppings: baked tofu, pan-fried king oyster mushrooms, cucumber ribbons, kimchi, grated radish, and green onions.

edit:
I went to dinner at a Japanese izakaya type place and had:
2618170261_f7064c06cc.jpg

sake sampler (6 different sake)

2618170335_dfdaec060e.jpg

tofu cheese (just a regular tofu salad, was just meh)

2618170413_3db5a34729.jpg

monkfish liver pate

2618994042_9c2cfd007a.jpg

beef tartare with quail egg - my favorite of the night. soooo good and rich.

2618994140_073011bf3c.jpg

grilled salmon - mediocre =(

DonCuco

Was craving some tri-tip, so I decided to fire up the ole' smoker and made some tri-tip sammys with tater salad and chili beans . Man was it good.

PICT0175.jpg

PICT0178.jpg

PICT0180.jpg

Zyzyxxz

DonCuco said:
Was craving some tri-tip, so I decided to fire up the ole' smoker and made some tri-tip sammys with tater salad and chili beans . Man was it good.

PICT0175.jpg
wow, do you mind sharing your dry rub or is that a family secret for ya?

DonCuco

Zyzyxxz said:
wow, do you mind sharing your dry rub or is that a family secret for ya?

I bought the rub from the guy(Rocky) who sells the big drum smokers. I remember last time you said you wanted to buy one , but seemed a tad expensive. He has now come up with a mini version for $195. You still have to add shipping though. It's a great little smoker. Let me know if you are interested rub or smoker and I'll hook you up with Rocky's number.

Also noticed you did some wings and beef ribs the other day. That mini drum smoker would come in real handy for you and the price is right I believe.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
GREAT stuff, everybody!

nakedsushi, i am a bit confused seeing beef tatar from you ;)
quail egg as yolk seems like the ultimate decadence, I appreciate...:lol

OnkelC said:
GREAT stuff, everybody!

nakedsushi, i am a bit confused seeing beef tatar from you ;)
quail egg as yolk seems like the ultimate decadence, I appreciate...:lol

Lol, I'm not the vegan one, the BF is. I don't believe in food discrimination!

DonCuco, great tritip. Looks juicy. Wait a minute...is it called tri tip because it's a triangle?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
Lol, I'm not the vegan one, the BF is. I don't believe in food discrimination!
No offense! It's just that even my wife (who likes meat) can't even stand seeing me eat tatare (just the thought of eating raw meat is appalling to a lot of folks). I thought the same of your BF.

Zyzyxxz

DonCuco said:
I bought the rub from the guy(Rocky) who sells the big drum smokers. I remember last time you said you wanted to buy one , but seemed a tad expensive. He has now come up with a mini version for $195. You still have to add shipping though. It's a great little smoker. Let me know if you are interested rub or smoker and I'll hook you up with Rocky's number.

Also noticed you did some wings and beef ribs the other day. That mini drum smoker would come in real handy for you and the price is right I believe.

thanks for letting me know. I really wanna get one but Im afraid it might be too small in case I do a big BBQ in the future. I dunno if I wanna get a custom one made from a local one or just buy one and be done with it. Either way I keep spending money I should be putting away for this.

Anyway I went to Original Tommy's for some chili cheese fries and a burger. For those who do not know its a Southern California chain and has a local following about it. IMO the chili is awesome!
I won't be eating for another week now.
2623880050_cc6247e2b9_o.jpg

2623879816_9ab0ebea6a_o.jpg

DonCuco

Zyzyxxz said:
thanks for letting me know. I really wanna get one but Im afraid it might be too small in case I do a big BBQ in the future. I dunno if I wanna get a custom one made from a local one or just buy one and be done with it. Either way I keep spending money I should be putting away for this.

For your grilling needs, I would stick with what you've already got, but if you wanna bbq low and slow I would get a smoker to handle big pieces of meat that require 2 + hours of smoking.

Zyzyxxz

DonCuco said:
For your grilling needs, I would stick with what you've already got, but if you wanna bbq low and slow I would get a smoker to handle big pieces of meat that require 2 + hours of smoking.

thanks for the tip.

Anyway today for lunch

some Chinese thing with green onions, rice noodles, and eggs inside and Chicken curry noodles.

2626133126_f977050ca7_o.jpg

2625311881_6e7a9102c1_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
thanks for the tip.

Anyway today for lunch

some Chinese thing with green onions, rice noodles, and eggs inside and Chicken curry noodles.

I had that chinese thing for lunch on Sunday! It's called something like "chive box" in Chinese. I try explaining it as a hot pocket with eggs and chives in it.

jarosh

shrimpcakes.jpg

dinner:

shrimp cakes (burgers?) with coconut rice and curry dip.

shrimp, fish, red curry paste, egg, corn starch, spices in blender, add leek, fry -> shrimp cakes (inspired by something similar i saw on foodgawker)

basmati rice, 1/2 water, 1/2 coconut milk, salt, some asian spices -> coconut rice

ketchup, mayo, yellow curry spice mix, coriander, ginger -> curry dip

that's it

oh man...i love chive boxes ("jiu chai he-zhe"). my grandma used to live next to this guy who handmade them, and they were the best ones i've ever had. unfortunately, he passed away recently. =/

learned how to hand-make dumplings recently, will post up some fresh potstickers soon. but for the most recent meal...

steakin' it easy tonight - a nice ribeye, roasted red potatoes, and corn.

2626416503_634e9c245e.jpg

perfect - cooked just right!

2626416391_2f7bee9136.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
very interesting new stuff, folks. the shrimp cakes look almost as good as the steak.

Fun fact: shrimp and steak combined make the american classic dish "Surf'n'Turf".

^ chicken looks good! Black bean sauce is such a tasty condiment. I can have it on everything.

Dinner today started with a home made mojito with some mint I planted:
2629730767_b889ab9582.jpg

The actual dinner wasn't as fancy. Just bread salad (tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh basil, grilled bread), savory steamed egg custard, and roasted baby potatoes (not shown).
2630548598_e6b1210677.jpg

Mojitos are great in the summer -- it's my go-to alcholic beverage for lounging around.

Dinner tonight was pretty simple.
2636034626_7178d4f955.jpg

Rice (topped with grated radish, scallions, and a side of kimchi)

2635210239_b6ab200abc.jpg

assorted panchan: pickled radish, hijiki salad, spinach salad, cucumber salad.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I've been on a lowcalorie salad roll since last week, does anybody have any tips (or even a few saladnames I can try) when it comes to this stuff? I'm planning on buying all my stuff from Lidl/Aldi and some from the market since those are the cheapest places I can think of. How important is it that ingredients are fresh, and which one is the most important to always have fresh? There's an Ekoplaza somewhere around here but that stuff is way overpriced imo. I've always been buying premade salads uptill now but I want to try things myself.

Thanks, this thread rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom