• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to this Middle Eastern place for dinner last night that had an assortment of salads with free refills. I left STUFFED.

2749085722_74bdf793e6_o.jpg

2749085826_52960176e3_o.jpg

2748249901_3f6ef7ca6e_o.jpg

The last pic was my main dish: sweetbread. I don't think I'm a fan of sweetbread. It was too chewy. In hindsight, I should have just stuck with eating the side dishes, they were much better.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
smirk: I made an omelette this morning that turned out very similar to that (it hadn't set up quite enough when I tried to fold it, so it tore and flopped around a bit) yet it actually tasted better than most of my 'proper' omelettes. Go figure! Maybe it had something to do with the Chinese dumplings I'd made the night before, while neglecting to clean the pan before cooking the eggs.

smirkrevenge said:
time for another episode of FOOD ADVENTURES WITH SMIRKREVENGE!
nakedsushi said:
I went to this Middle Eastern place for dinner last night

God, I wish I lived somewhere with food culture. It all looks so good. :(

Kuran

Banned
nomisteak.jpg

I know it would've presented better with half as much sauce and half as many potatoes, but alas! I am a man of simple gesture.

PS. The potatoes came premade, I just had to heat them up, same for the sauce! No misteak though, that steak was made by yours truely!

If I wasn't playing Monster Hunter at the time, it would've been a bit more tender..

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, you are one of the few persons i know that have at least tried sweetbread. It's very much an acquired taste and the preparation is difficult. judging from the pic, the cook didn'ttake the usual prep steps which could have resulted in the "chewiness". Rest of the dishes look great, though! Arab places have a suprisingly big array of dishes. There's this place around the corner that does a "surprise menu" each week, with 10 dishes in the order of your choice:
-appetizer/preselection plate
smallCIMG2082.jpg

smallCIMG2079.jpg

smallCIMG2080.jpg

smallCIMG2081.jpg

smallCIMG2083.jpg

dessert from the gods, yoghurt with caramelized cherries:
smallCIMG2085.jpg

Kuran, steak and taters is always the right choice!

sweetbreads rock, if prepared well as onkel said.

here are some fried veal sweetbreads i've had at a restaurant here:
526353436_bae23caf67.jpg

there's also a taco truck that makes the best sweetbread tacos ever; perfect as a hangover cure -- mollejas tacos por favor!

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, you are one of the few persons i know that have at least tried sweetbread. It's very much an acquired taste and the preparation is difficult. judging from the pic, the cook didn'ttake the usual prep steps which could have resulted in the "chewiness".

Really? I would have thought that sweetbreads would be popular in a country like Germany, since you guys have such fantastic sausages. I thought the taste was good, but it was just too chewy. It was like liver-flavored chewing gum. Although now that I think of it, that doesn't sound THAT bad haha.

Kuran: those potatoes look fantastic. I love small potatoes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Heh, sweetbread is a rarity here and usually has to be special ordered at the butcher. A liver-like taste is a sign for the cook having screwed up at some point, though. everything blood-related should have been removed prior to cooking...

ChryZ

Well, I had a good run and didn't cut myself for a couple of years.

However last week it happened again and this time pretty badly. This is how the cut looks like after one week: pic #1, pic #2. It's healing very well thanks to the very clean cut of my Japanese kitchen knife.

I was distracted and fucked up. It's almost like I need it every now and then to gain new respect for the blade ~_~

So yeah, guys. Be careful out there.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
It's almost like I need it every now and then to gain new respect for the blade ~_~

So yeah, guys. Be careful out there.
It's said that new blades need the blood sacrifice to work best... :D
my last finger decapitation was with a santoku knife and a burger bun, it was the same level of ugly as yours. The bleeding never stops.

So I had two requests for the Med. salad and the Spanish Rice, so I'm posting the recipes here. The next post will be devoted to the best meal I've ever made.

Med. salad

* 4 cups roughly chopped raw vegetables (I used carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red/yellow/green peppers, and fresh green beans)
* 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
* 1/4 cup sliced Kalamata olives
* 1/2 cup torn basil leaves*
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1 pinch Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

* I didn't use basil leaves, but I had grounded basil. I didn't put in half a cup though. I just kind put it in last and mixed enough to where it looked "good".

Spanish rice

* 4 bacon strips, diced
* 3/4 cup chopped onion
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
* 1 cup diced green pepper*
* 1 cup diced sweet red pepper*
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Remove and set aside.
2. In the small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir until golden brown. Reduce heat; stir in broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the bacon, onion, peppers and tomatoes. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

For presentation purposes, I made a mix of 2 cups of green/red/yellow pepper. I also added a little more rice. Other than that, that is the exact recipe

Ok GAF, I present to you Grilled Spicy Chicken and Spiced Lemon Rice

Grilled Spicy Chicken Ingredients: 4 chicken breasts, one piece of lemon, sea salt

Marinade: 1 teaspoon amchoor (dried mango powder), 1 teaspoon crushed fenugreek seeds, 1 teasppon garam masala, 2 teaspoons ginger, 2 teaspoons finely grated garlic, 1 tablespoon chilli powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 cup low fat plain yogurt, lime wedges to serve

Directions:

1. Slash each breast diagonally 3-4 times and place in shallow dish. Pour lemon juice over top and season with salt. Cover and set to side

2. Place all marinade ingredients into a blender/food processor until mixture is smooth. Pour over chicken, cover, and place in fridge for 2-3 hours or longer

3. Remove and grill for 15 minutes turning over halfway through or until side is cooked and lightly charred on edges.

24c8txx.jpg

16kygkn.jpg

2rm8om1.jpg

Spiced lemon rice

Ingredients: 1 cup basmati rice (I used white rice, couldn't fin basmati), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 12-14 curry leaves, 1 dried red chili, 1 inch piece of cassia bark or cinnamon stick, 2-3 cloves, 4-6 cardamon pods, 2 teasppons cumin seeds, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, justice of one large lemon, 1 1/2 cups of boiling water, sea salt, chopped cilantro leaves to garnish

Directions: heat oil in nonstick pan, when hot add curry leaves, chile, cassia or cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamon, cumin seeds, an turmeric. stir fry for 20-30 seconds and add rice, stir fry for 2 minutes and then add lemon juice an boiling water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.

Cook for 10-12 minutes, remove from heat, anad allow to stand for 10 minutes.

The only alteration I made besides the white rice was curry leaves. I couldn't find curry leaves so I just put in some grounded curry. probably a teaspoon and a half or so.

2gwevqa.jpg

Completed meal.
2zi4m1j.jpg

A Sonoran hot dog from a place known locally for them. When one bacon-wrapped wiener just doesn't seem to fill that roll up:
food1.jpg

Menudo from the same place. Blurry pic, but it wasn't very good anyway:
food2.jpg

Homemade stuff: a hearty weekend breakfast; pintos cooked with lots of red New Mexican chile powder:
food3.jpg

Chicken breast tacos with some pico de gallo:
food4.jpg

Wow DonCuco that carne asada looks great. I wish I knew how to grill.

Dinner tonight for me was vegan "meatball" subs with rapinni (broccoli rabe?), garlic paste, and a whole wheat bun. Pretty delicious!
2756059286_aab55ebdbe_o.jpg

Tf53

So much good stuff... sometimes I'm sad that my fiancee will only turn into a carnivore again after we get kids. I'm not ready for that yet, so I guess I'll have to make do... :)

This was lunch the other day:

pyttis223.jpg

armubaba

smirkrevenge said:
time for another episode of FOOD ADVENTURES WITH SMIRKREVENGE!

Looks delicious. Sorry if it's been asked before, but what camera did you use to snap these pics? Some beautiful shots you got there.

JEKKI

I made an amazing accomplishment the other day... I feel so proud of myself for my achievements in life!!!

2zswm74.jpg

this is a concoction of a sliced half of banana, about 3 or 4 strawberrys, orange juice, and ice.

blend it up and...

mluog.jpg

nc1ap2.jpg

I made a smoothie!! I drink it straight from that thing

and omg... it is soooooooooo good!! I cant believe it!!

I got sum mangos at home now too!! I wanna put sum mango in it tomorrow!!

slidewinder: your pics remind me to pick up some ingredients for pico de gallo this weekend. been craving that for awhile.

armubaba: i use a canon rebel xt, 50mm f/1.4 lens. if you have a canon DSLR, do yourself a favor and get this lens. IT IS A MUST!...not just for food pics, but just all-purpose pics in general.

kassatsu: your gf is too kind. my favorite flavor from there is fuji apple, but it is only seasonal. the many times i've been back, i have yet to see it again. however, red grape is pretty damn tasty.

JEKKI

o yah! restaurant pic from a place I went to last week...

kdpldh.jpg

2zf7p1d.jpg

Daikokuya! supposed to be the best ramen in Los Angeles!!

I like it, it's hella good but I think Santouka is better.

regardless I've been wanting to go for a long time and I definitely wanna go again!!

Schrade

JEKKI said:
What's the deal with those weirdo spoons? They're so big and unwieldy. Why not use regular spoons? Is there some benefit to these things or is it just a cultural type of thing like chopsticks?

Schrade said:
What's the deal with those weirdo spoons? They're so big and unwieldy. Why not use regular spoons? Is there some benefit to these things or is it just a cultural type of thing like chopsticks?
Better to slurp the broth from?

That's what I like about them, anyways.

Schrade said:
They work better as soup spoons. Also slightly cultural? But I thought it's pretty normal, and it's efficient as well.

Schrade

slidewinder said:
Better to slurp the broth from?

That's what I like about them, anyways.
Better how though? To me they are very clumsy and large. Hard to put in my mouth. A regular spoon works so much better.

The Hermit

Just wanted to post in the best Gaf thread ever. :D

Congrats Onkel and everyone posting in this thread... when I live by myself (hopefully next year) I will start posting my own dishes.

Cheers!

Zoe

Schrade said:
Better how though? To me they are very clumsy and large. Hard to put in my mouth. A regular spoon works so much better.

Don't put it in your mouth--you're supposed to slurp (don't worry, that's not considered rude).

For dinner last night, I made some spinach filo dough pastry thing. This was my first time working with filo pastry. It's a pain in the arse. Tasted okay, but will not make again!
2761993904_f72e5f7e97_m.jpg

2761994238_8823b04eee_m.jpg

Dinner tonight was wonton soup using leftover filling from the spinach thing last night.
2761994440_420acd4177_o.jpg

2761994588_d4c6e6a461_o.jpg

I like wrapping wontons much more than wrapping filo pastries. =)

JEKKI

Schrade said:
haha u r a crazy mofo... those spoons feel just so natural that I dont kno whatchu talkin about willis

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody!

Baiano19 said:
Just wanted to post in the best Gaf thread ever. :D

Congrats Onkel and everyone posting in this thread... when I live by myself (hopefully next year) I will start posting my own dishes.

Cheers!
thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing your first attemps!

keep them coming, folks.

made spicy turkey meatballs today (a la perilla, which uses duck...but ground duck is impossible to find).

turned out VERY tasty. google "spicy duck meatballs" for the official recipe.

2766949546_1bc7095392.jpg

JEKKI

check it out check it out!!!

29nt9h0.jpg

take sum ingredients, heat the beans up on a pan...

heat up sum tortilla, then put everything together and...

vn1s8i.jpg

BAM! bean n cheese burrito!! hella good, and when u eat it u feel all strong n shyt too!!

seriously! when I eat these I feel ready to go the gym in like an hour! Otherwise it takes me like 2-3 hours after lunch until I feel like going

funk0ar

Got the woodfire oven cranking the other night, soo good on a brisk winter evening! Didn't snap a pic of the lasange but here are the pizzas and calzone that I made :) . Phone photos so some came out abit dodgy.

2i8yidd.jpg

27zj70h.jpg

xta4x.jpg

am89qw.jpg

2lscemd.jpg

i74vb7.jpg

2isy5qv.jpg

Anymore than 3-4 toppings on a pizza is sacreligious!!! Stop doing it people!

SRG01

Zoe said:
Don't put it in your mouth--you're supposed to slurp (don't worry, that's not considered rude).

Wait what? I put the whole thing in my mouth sometimes... and I've grown up with those spoons!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
SRG01 said:
Wait what? I put the whole thing in my mouth sometimes... and I've grown up with those spoons!
I also thought that they are to be used sideways.

Great stuff, everybody!

thirty

Banned
i just tried the best mexican food in my life. it was from this place called guelaguetza in los angeles. it's oaxacan mexican food that's known for their cheeses and mole sauces.

it blew my mind away. all these years living in LA eating mexican food but never experiencing oaxacan food and what it had to offer. i mean, it was mexican food, yet it was a new experience. the horchata (rice drink) was topped with a cactus fruit puree, the mezcalados (margaritas) were made with mezcal instead of tequila, so on and so forth. i even tried their fried crickets pictured here which tasted like little bits of carnitas (fried pork).

2qk4geg.jpg

rcvyhc.jpg

funk0ar said:
Got the woodfire oven cranking the other night, soo good on a brisk winter evening! Didn't snap a pic of the lasange but here are the pizzas and calzone that I made :) . Phone photos so some came out abit dodgy.

I'm so jealous of your woodfire oven. How long does that thing take to get up to temperature?

thirty said:
i just tried the best mexican food in my life. it was from this place called guelaguetza in los angeles. it's oaxacan mexican food that's known for their cheeses and mole sauces.

What a coincidence. I tried Gualaguetza (the one by Trader Joe's) two weeks ago. I love their mole there, but what I REALLY love is their horchata. So delicious and dairy-free haha. I didn't know they had crickets there. I might have to try it.

This is what I had:
2774485627_f18c80d24d_o.jpg

A chicken tamale covered with mole.

Tinabina

i was told to post my chili on here so here it goes, it really is so easy to make just cook the meat first then add everything else, cover it and let it simmer untill the veggies are tender. :)

ingredients
135_0187.jpg

finished
135_0214.jpg

Zyzyxxz

It's been a while guys so time to get updated.

chuck steak with penne pasta
2776410723_d4ffd9894e_b.jpg

chicken fried rice in the wok...
2776413213_797d64a4a7_b.jpg

...and in the bowl
2777268424_9d5a165d12_b.jpg

making some Char Siu or Chinese Roast pork for ramen
2776551339_041afd330f_b.jpg

2776551727_2a7377784c_b.jpg

2777409314_950938377e_b.jpg

made some wontons too last week, sorry for the crappy pics, I only had my cell phone that day
2776558327_bc24287a5c_o.jpg

2776558503_5a46736a9f_o.jpg

2776558663_32e2cc3a65_o.jpg

Lunch yesterday:

15ycgm1.jpg

Beef stir fry with Ultimate Thai and Jerk Sauce. Super spicy but very good, could have done without the cauliflower though.

I'm going to take pics of my next steak night.

funk0ar

nakedsushi said:
I'm so jealous of your woodfire oven. How long does that thing take to get up to temperature?

Around 2 hours but ussually a few things get cooked before the pizzas. Sausages and potatoes in a tray first and then the bread at the end when it starts to cool down, I love that bit because we get awesome bread for a few weeks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom