• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JEKKI said:
I took leftover beef from dinner and put it on bread, put sum cheese, threw it in the toaster oven, and finally put sum BBQ sauce...

2gya7nd.jpg

how to make this better?!?!?!?!

I needa buy sum peppers btw...

Peppers, carmelized onion and the universal better maker: BACON.

Cheeto

I'm no chef, but I tried my luck.

Some Chicken with some spice and *bacon salt*
004.jpg

Cream, butter sauce with mozzarella cheese
005.jpg

The cheese made the sauce look a little strange, but it was delicious.
006.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
JEKKI and cheeto, nice efforts, thanks to the both of you for sharing!

cheeto, who gave you the idea of placing a wristwatch next to the dish? never seen that before...:D

slidewinder, thanks for the Wienerschnitzel pic. the chain was discussed in the first Home-Style-cooking thread, consensus there was that it's a sinking chain, only situated in less-popular neighborhoods. what are/is your impressions/verdict of wienerschnitzel (the place)?

keep sharing, folks.

OnkelC said:
slidewinder, thanks for the Wienerschnitzel pic. the chain was discussed in the first Home-Style-cooking thread, consensus there was that it's a sinking chain, only situated in less-popular neighborhoods. what are/is your impressions/verdict of wienerschnitzel (the place)?
Like I said, the food was really very nasty. My first reaction was to wonder how one such place could survive, never mind there being a whole chain of them.

My second was to realize that all of these places are small. They've got drive-throughs running around these almost A-frame little 'huts,' and walk-up areas out front, and that's it. Very little parking, no eat-in to speak of (some have picnic tables in front of the walk-up window). And probably nearly nothing as far as a kitchen goes; I'd imagine that all the cooking happens between a freezer, microwave, and deep-fryer.

And I'd have to guess that that's their business model: leasing these small, odd-sized lots cheaply, putting up the most minimalistic kitchens, and staffing every little wienerhut with exactly one teenage kid to serve what amounts to, basically, the worst kind of gas-station food.

In my town (Tucson), anyway, they aren't necessarily located in particularly bad places; the one I got that food from is located here, which is a solidly middle- and upper-middle-class, very safe, entirely peaceful place. They're pretty well spread over most of the city, although there aren't any in the very richest parts (but neither are there ANY kind of chains in those areas).

Anyways, I can't personally imagine eating at one again. If it were a matter of getting the maximum amount of grease/dollar, even McDonald's would be infinitely more appetizing. And the fact is that I can get a ridiculously good, huge, burro 24/7 from any of fifty places in this town even cheaper.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks for the heads-up, sounds like an awkward place to have lunch in...
If I came across one, I would try the stuff out nonetheless, too... :lol

Cheeto

Zyzyxxz said:
please tell me, does bacon salt work well with non-bacon meats?
I've tried bacon salt on a whole bunch of things, haven't found anything that doesn't work yet. It's awesome on chicken, ground beef(we spiced our cheeseburger bisquik pie with bacon salt and it was amazing), eggs *really good on eggs, and all sorts of vegetables such as Asparagus and broccoli.

Zyzyxxz said:
I find it strange you recommending bacon after seeing all the healthy stuff you cook

Yeah, but I can't deny my love of bacon. I ate a whole pack of it in a day once. Delicious.

Also, bacon salt is delicious on mac and cheese.

Lunch today with some coworkers was a Luther burger.

2701619031_090d03eb74_o.jpg

Krispy Kreme donut + beef + mayo + cheese + bacon = pure deliciousness. Oh, and some lettuce to sop up the juices.

Zyzyxxz

I cant see your pics Naked.

well this has been a lazy/unproductive week for me. I'm low on cash so I've been trying to be frugal and I've been lazy because I got finals = less motivated to work.

So I've let my room get full of course materials. Yes that is a grenade launcher by the brown sociology book, dont worry its not real.
2701593749_e752870a66_b.jpg

Anyway on to the food. The only thing I've taken a pic of, some of you may be familiar with this if you frequent western Asian cafes. its a simple but good combination of chicken + cream corn served over hot rice.

2701591643_9090f58f9b_b.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to the both of you for sharing! donut and bacon sounds like blasphemy, but i like it!

how does the rotating pizza grill work?

cooking schedule for the weekend:
tonight we are invited over for some BBQ, tomorrow will be fish fingers with mashed potatoes (Kuran made me do it!:lol )

stay tuned and keep sharing!

Momar

aka Ryder
OnkelC and the GAF Chef elite... I summon thee!

Alright, so I feel like a total noob, but does anyone have some recommendations on how to make some good caramelized onions? I tried my hand at it once and somehow they turned out perfectly (mmm.... those burgers were good), but ever since then my onions just get burned before they ever get caramelized.

Any tips for a noob chef?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ryder said:
OnkelC and the GAF Chef elite... I summon thee!

Alright, so I feel like a total noob, but does anyone have some recommendations on how to make some good caramelized onions? I tried my hand at it once and somehow they turned out perfectly (mmm.... those burgers were good), but ever since then my onions just get burned before they ever get caramelized.

Any tips for a noob chef?
Hi and thanks for asking!

Making caramelized onions is rather easy but requires a bit of patience.

Start with lots of choppped onions (one to two large ones per person).
First, peel the onions and cut them in half:
1-small.jpg

Then, slice them like shown:
2-small.jpg

After that, cut the slices, resulting in nice big cubes:
3-small.jpg

That is the amount of onions for about four persons:
4-small.jpg

8-small.jpg

Now the twist of the roasted onions: add salt and about a handful of sugar:
9-small.jpg

This gives a great taste to the onions. the onions will start to lose some water, which is normal.
Let the onions roast on MEDIUM setting for about 15-20 minutes while constantly stirring:
14-small.jpg

15-small.jpg

16-small.jpg

The above is all that is left of the onions from the picture above. The result is pure, concentrated tase!

You can also try red onions, makes great colour:
smallCIMG3295.jpg

Never forget the sugar:
smallCIMG3299.jpg

Result (used on Spaetzle here, props to jarosh for the gif):
spaetzle3d.gif

PRO TIP:
If the onions look "burnt" in your skillet, the temperature was too high. You can counter this by adding a quarter to a half cup of water to the hot pan while constantly stirring. as soon as the water is boiling, reduce heat to medium to low and serve them fast.

I use the lowest possible heat ("warm" on my electric stove-top), a heavy cast-iron pan, a little fat, no sugar, and simply plan on them taking a long time.

With such low heat, I don't pay much attention until they start getting really deep brown, checking and stirring every ten minutes or so until then. It's not hard to know when they're about done, either, as you'll start to see the edges of some of them juuuuuust beginning to blacken, although not enough to really affect the flavor if you've become attentive since they entered the home stretch.

A good-sized onion generally takes a bit over an hour to caramelize this way for me.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Blablurn said:
what's the best way to cook some noodles?

yeah, i of course i'm already able to cook them but I want to read you recipes!
Buy decent Pasta (Barilla, Buitoni, Schüle, Birkel or up), use lots of water, salt the water slightly (2 tablespoons per 4 liters or gallon), take the cooking times on the noodle package as a hint only, then you should be fine.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
how does the rotating pizza grill work?
!

It rotates. And heats up the pizza. Haha, thats is the simplest explanation but basically the overhead arm acts like a toaster and as the pizza rotates it cooks the pizza a bit everytime it passes by. I don't know why I bought it, it was only $10 on clearance at Kohl's and I thought why the hell not. But it has other uses, lets say you want to keep a dish warm unitl its time to eat then set it on the lowest setting and leave it there until ready to serve.

Blablurn said:
what's the best way to cook some noodles?

yeah, i of course i'm already able to cook them but I want to read you recipes!

Do you mean ramen noodles? I normally like boil up a brother of dashi-stock + miso then throw in the noodles, top with some roast pork I make myself and random veges.

I made a pretty tasty improvised stew this weekend. I started out with the leftover carcass of a roasted chicken, simmered that with an onion and a carrot for a few hours, then junked the veggies, separated the chicken pieces from the broth, and left both in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I skimmed the congealed fat from the broth, and picked the remaining bits of chicken meat from the bones. I added a couple cut-up tomatoes to the broth and meat, along with both some red chile powder and some good, frozen, green New Mexico chiles (not too long until there are fresh ones, yum).
chiles.jpg

Finally some (too much, really) macaroni to bulk it up, and some salt and black pepper until it tasted right.
stew.jpg

Nice and spicy and flavorful, and very easy to make.

Edit: :lol Good name for it.

Flo

I'm trying to make an artichoke that i got from my parents, but so far it's not going to well. The recipe said I have to boil it for 40 to 60 min. and you know it was ready when you could pull the leaves off easily. It's been boiling for 100 min. now, but I still cannot pull any leaves off :/
I did make some mayonaise myself, now its waiting for the artichoke!

Anyone any experience with artichokes?

Edit:
Still boiling after 2 hours.. Eventually it took that long for it to get ready. But it tasted great!
i3s4ci.jpg

Homemade mayo
33wbh3b.jpg

rauq9l.jpg

When I ate it
213nl7o.jpg

did you take the harder,larger bottom leaves off first? I think you do that before putting the whole thing in the boiling water. My guess is that the harder leaves will forever be tough and you can just discard them and the more tender, smaller leaves should be okay.

Flo

nakedsushi said:
did you take the harder,larger bottom leaves off first? I think you do that before putting the whole thing in the boiling water. My guess is that the harder leaves will forever be tough and you can just discard them and the more tender, smaller leaves should be okay.
That's a good one. It would probably have gone a lot faster. In the end even those were soft and started to fall out.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo said:
That's a good one. It would probably have gone a lot faster. In the end even those were soft and started to fall out.
:lol

"I was cooking that egg for two hours now, it simply didn't get soft..."

sorry

Flo

OnkelC said:
sorry

pictures are great, though.
I rarely cook artichokes because I loathe that there is so much cutoff/waste.
No problem hehe.
I got it from my parents, so I was kind of obliged to prepare it :)

OnkelC said:
sorry

pictures are great, though.
I rarely cook artichokes because I loathe that there is so much cutoff/waste.

Mayo looks great! I feel the same way about artichokes. I rarely eat them and when I do, I can't figure out what parts are edible and what parts aren't. It's sad that we have to be so wasteful with such a huge plant.

Momar

aka Ryder
Now that I've got an apartment with a real kitchen I've got to start documenting my culinary learning process.

Any recommendations? So far I've been surviving off the following: cheap steaks (butter+fire+steak = yum), all manners of chicken, lots of pasta, and frozen fish sticks. Any recommendations including rice are a plus. I'm gonna dig through the thread (and the previous ones)...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ryder said:
Now that I've got an apartment with a real kitchen I've got to start documenting my culinary learning process.

Any recommendations? So far I've been surviving off the following: cheap steaks (butter+fire+steak = yum), all manners of chicken, lots of pasta, and frozen fish sticks. Any recommendations including rice are a plus. I'm gonna dig through the thread (and the previous ones)...

Just be creative and try out every combination of foods that you feel like. This is not meant to be lazy-ass reply, but there are no hard or fast rules when it comes to cooking. Rice goes great with nearly every other ingredient and can be cooked in advance. just store it in the fridge and use when you feel like it. tastes great when fried with a few chopped vegetables or slices of meat/ham.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hmm, didn't take pictures but my first, serious dish was...

Skinless, Boneless Chicken breast, seasoned with garlic seasoning, cooked over butter in a nice skillet. Added onions, tomatoes and real garlic. Let it cook, add BBQ sauce. Serve as a salad.

Next was today, same thing but with spaghetti. What can I try for tomorrow? I have some parmesan and cheese sauce there that I really wanna use for some cooking.

funk0ar

That artichoke looke awesome! I love artichokes, we had some chicken breast with artichoke hearts for dinner last night. For lunch i whipped up some pesto (LOVE pesto pasta with garlic and chilli) and some bruschetta for the side.

dsc00041mediumis5.jpg

dsc00040mediumvc1.jpg

funk0ar said:

That pesto looks delicious. Did you make it yourself? I love pesto so much. It goes great with everything.

Ryder said:

Throw some fresh vegetables into your meals to even it out and make things flow better =) Right now is a fantastic time for fresh veggies like tomatoes and bell peppers.

What kind of rice do you like? Asian rice, or American long-grain rice? If you plan on eating a lot of Asian rice, I would suggest getting a rice cooker. It's fantastic and you don't have to babysit it while cooking rice. I usually cook a large batch, then segregate the rice in individual servings, wrap it up in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. Then, when I want rice, I just microwave the frozen packages.

2715526379_6507268a65_o.jpg

Made some griddle flat-bread for the first time to go with some home-made rosemary bean spread and home-grown basil. Yay for summer. I love basil.

funk0ar

nakedsushi said:
That pesto looks delicious. Did you make it yourself? I love pesto so much. It goes great with everything.

No but my Nonna gives me a jar of it every now and then :) Pesto is at its most delicious when re-heated in a frypan with some chilli.

Dinner today was from some produce I bought at the farmer's market this morning.

2718964370_558a38f8e3_o.jpg

French Roasted garlic soup with 4 whole HEADS of garlic! Man this was some deliciously powerful stuff. I don't think I'll need to fight off vampires for a while.

2718144493_10249e9b88_o.jpg

Tomato salad with fresh basil and burrata. Oh man the burrata was heavenly.

Slight cooking newbie here, didnt take pics but you'll have to take my word for now.

Been wanting to cook for a while and had some asparations to do it. Recently I got the cooking guide on DS and thought "dammit its time I started working on my cookin" anyways so since then been working on a few meals from that

The mac and cheese was most successful so far. Basic but I played around with the ingredients a bit. I added a mix of Red Lester and Cheddar and splashed some wostershire sauce on into the sauce before mixing it all up. Gave it that nice tang that reminds me of a good cheese on toast

I did crab cakes yesertday also but that didnt go so well, the crab was kinda flavourless (was it because it was tinned?) and they didnt quite fry right. Can crab work in a crab cake or should I just go with salmon or haddock next time?

JennyTablina said:
Slight cooking newbie here, didnt take pics but you'll have to take my word for now.
I did crab cakes yesertday also but that didnt go so well, the crab was kinda flavourless (was it because it was tinned?) and they didnt quite fry right. Can crab work in a crab cake or should I just go with salmon or haddock next time?

Whoa, that's pretty ambitious for a self-proclaimed cooking newbie. What was wrong with the crab cake? I think tinned should be fine. Did you put an egg in as a binder and the mix it with bread crumbs? I've never made crab cake before, but I think that's how it's done. Also, make sure you have the oil temperature just right. Too low and it gets soggy, but too high and it'll burn too quickly.

"Whoa, that's pretty ambitious for a self-proclaimed cooking newbie. What was wrong with the crab cake? I think tinned should be fine. Did you put an egg in as a binder and the mix it with bread crumbs? I've never made crab cake before, but I think that's how it's done. Also, make sure you have the oil temperature just right. Too low and it gets soggy, but too high and it'll burn too quickly."

There's probably other ways but the restaurant I worked at we didn't put eggs in the crab cakes. I forget how we made them though... I regret throwing away the recipe book I put together from there. :/

YagizY

can you give me the instructions to make that? I'm wondering because I am turning 21 on Saturday and would like to make a nice drink for myself.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
294htnq.jpg

Yesterday I bought this and put it on home-made burgers and it's awesome!

Also I ate this monster in Berlin last weekend:

k2jr55.jpg

Lastly, a request: I want to make a Gyudon beef bowl myself (a la Yoshinoya). I found a receipe that sounds kinda allright: http://www.rllmukforum.com/lofiversion/index.php?t138619.html . Has anyone here ever made Gyodon themselves? Any advice/pointers? :). If this receipe works I'll post the results.

Edit: Should've searched first: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5416062&highlight=Gyudon#post5416062 . I'll try Chryz's receipe, it sounds more complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom