• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I got no clue about what to cook tonight. conditions: two stovetop plates, one person, must not stink while cooking (small basement apt.). Ideas/inspirations?

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
I got no clue about what to cook tonight. conditions: two stovetop plates, one person, must not stink while cooking (small basement apt.). Ideas/inspirations?

must not stink? salad?

CTLance

OnkelC said:
good idea, but something warm would be nice.
aw, fuck it, I'm gonna get some cheeseburgers...:lol
I would've suggested a quick-and-yummy rice dish.

• Make some rice (give it a yellow color using saffron - or Curry if there's none). Ideally, we want "asian" rice, the sort that sticks together and is easy to eat with chopsticks, not the western strain that falls apart easily. Hate that stuff.
  • Let some raisins soak in water with a drop of rum.
  • Cut some bananas into slices.
  • Open a can of tangerines - drink the juice or whatever, we don't need it.
  • Roast a handful of nuts (almonds, pignolias, Cashew nuts) in oil. Be careful, they only need to be warm and soft, if they turn brown you're overdoing it.
  • Buy a grilled chicken, debone and cut it into easy-to-chew-yet-still-good-to-look-at pieces.

Now comes the hard part:
Get a big shallow bowl, and fill it in layers. Rice-Chicken&Fruit-nuts-repeat. Top it off with the most beautiful chicken/fruit pieces and sprinkle with nuts. Be creative.

Looks kinda boring, right? No problem. Get a bottle of Ketchup (normal, no curry - feel free to experiment later on, though) and draw some awesome decors on your masterpiece. Don't be modest. Not only does it give the meal a nice visual edge, it also complements the taste of the chicken and fruit while supplying a bit of moisture.

Aaaand done. I loved to eat that one as a kid.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
too late:(
was at work from 7AM until now, did not have the nerves to cook something.
smallP1000988.jpg

smallP1000992.jpg

stl3.jpg

thanks to the both of you for your suggestions.

Not sure if what I made came out "right" but it tasted good. It was the first time I had ever eaten potatoe soup or cilantro rice.

You can't really tell, but the rice is greenish from the cilantro.

24dn18m.jpg

2unzqs4.jpg

24ovuhv.jpg

scottnak

Back home means I can upload some of the concoctions I made...
Apologies in advance for the subpar cellphone pictures :(
Keep the not-so-great looking ones in an image shortcut.

photo0073hr4.jpg

From my roommate, a nice steak with asparagus and a dinner roll. mmm mm.

My attempt to do a carbonara-esque dish, it turned out very horrible unfortunately.

My favorite dish! Curry. Tried to add some extra peas and spam to kick it up a notch, not too bad.

Some nice omurice! Tried out some canned tuna, peas, carrots as the main stuff inside the rice. Turned out really nice. Replicated this dish a few times thanks to that success!

That is... until one day I started it, but realized we had hard boiled our eggs for a cookin' fest (which is where most went into that potato salad on the left...) so I just sliced one up and put it on the rice. Still tasted good

photo0082fc5.jpg

And finally what I made last night! A nice Broccoli Gratin with some light macaroni & cheese. Twas great!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
really nice efforts, thanks to you too for sharing!
What went wrong with the carbonara? Did I spot peas in there? Carbonara usually only consists of egg yolk, pecorino or parmesan, bacon cubes and ground black pepper.

scottnak

OnkelC said:
really nice efforts, thanks to you too for sharing!
What went wrong with the carbonara? Did I spot peas in there? Carbonara usually only consists of egg yolk, pecorino or parmesan, bacon cubes and ground black pepper.

I really don't know. Carbonara is one of my favorite pasta dishes, and the recipes i scrounge up usually turn out ok. It just didn't turn out right... Not sure exactly what, as its been about a month perhaps. But I'm definitely going to try again to try and get it right. Gotta make my favorite dish more affordable by making it right :p

And yep, there are peas. Only because I bought a large bag and have pretty much been trying out peas in everything (I love peas. Haha)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
scottnak said:
I really don't know. Carbonara is one of my favorite pasta dishes, and the recipes i scrounge up usually turn out ok. It just didn't turn out right... Not sure exactly what, as its been about a month perhaps. But I'm definitely going to try again to try and get it right. Gotta make my favorite dish more affordable by making it right :p

And yep, there are peas. Only because I bought a large bag and have pretty much been trying out peas in everything (I love peas. Haha)
give peas a chance:lol

looking forward to seeing the next interpretation of Carbonara.

jarosh

i bought these thai noodles made from sweet potato flour yesterday on a whim. i had no idea something like this even existed. anyone ever buy/use them before? they look pretty similar to typical chinese rice noodles, just darker in color. i wonder if there's any difference in how you use them or if they're used in specific dishes or have a unique flavor or something...?

rezuth

Oh screw it, might aswell upload some pics. Here is leftover pizza I made a while back, look at that tiny sallad... Atleast its something.. Right? :lol

pizza_closeup.png

pizza_closeup2.png

pizza_sallad_cola.png

sallad_closeup.png

nachos.png

cake_closeup.png

korvstroganoff.jpg

Sorry for the quality but I took them with my phone.

CTLance

Once again I'm astonished to see just how "rich" our family likes its food. What we dub "Carbonara" contains noticeable amounts of sweet cream. And peas. :D

Also, awesome pics. It's always a joy to visit this thread.

rezuth

CTLance said:
Once again I'm astonished to see just how "rich" our family likes its food. What we dub "Carbonara" contains noticeable amounts of sweet cream. And peas. :D

Also, awesome pics. It's always a joy to visit this thread.
It truly is.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
rezuth, thank you very much for the wonderful pics! That's exactly the right ratio of salad/pizza:lol .
Mind to share what phone takes such crisp pics?

jarosh said:
i bought these thai noodles made from sweet potato flour yesterday on a whim. i had no idea something like this even existed. anyone ever buy/use them before? they look pretty similar to typical chinese rice noodles, just darker in color. i wonder if there's any difference in how you use them or if they're used in specific dishes or have a unique flavor or something...?
never heard of pasta made from potato flour, sorry. Sounds intriguing, though. Are they similar to rice pasta ore more like spaetzle?

Nothing fancy, breakfast sandwich:

breakfast_sandwich.jpg

Sourdough bread, swiss cheese, fried egg, and two slices of Canadian bacon.

Plus I took a special extra runny cheese picture so it was worthy of Onkel's thread. :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice Sammich!

I was a lazy boy today, fixed up a few Hot Dogs:
smallP1040241.jpg

tomorrow will be a bottomless german cheesecake, stay tuned!

Some dinners I made last week.

2789673475_eefda48f1c.jpg

noodles with peanut sauce, quick pickled cucumbers, and this leafy green that I guess is called a rape plant? It's produces the seeds that canola oil comes from.

2790522368_8af0dc3e2d.jpg

omu-rice with leftovers we had in the fridge: rice, napa cabbage, kimchi, carmelized onions, and corn.

Forsete

Sponge cake with Philadelphia cheese. :D

kaka1.jpg

kaka2.jpg

Ignore the condition of the electric mixer, its 30 years old. ;>

kaka3.jpg

kaka4.jpg

kaka5.jpg

kaka6.jpg

kaka7.jpg

kaka8.jpg

kaka9.jpg

kaka91.jpg

Tasty, tasted kind of like carrot cake. :)

Therion

So I've been following these threads forever (best thing on gaf in my opinion), but now that I'm finally in my own place I hope to cook enough that I have something to post.

I made this chili last weekend. It's pretty mild (fine for me), and I have no idea how it stacks up against others, but since it's the chili I grew up eating, it's the only one that tastes "right" to me. Sorry if the pics aren't great. Crappy camera and vision isn't my strong point anyway.

The ingredients:
ingredients.jpg

The big bowl's got five onions and 6 bell peppers. The pot has 8 cans of various beans and two cans of stewed tomatoes. Then you've got a pound each of ground beef and pork, a couple cloves of garlic and some parsley. Spices aren't pictured (1/3 cup chili powder, 2 Tbsp salt, 1-1/2 tsp pepper, 1-1/2 tsp cumin).

Get the beans and tomatoes simmering, and saute the peppers and onions until tender:
step1.jpg

Throw in the garlic at the end and cook until fragrant. Then remove the vegetables and brown the meet in some butter. If, like me, you forgot to put the garlic in with the vegetables, throw it in with the meat instead. :D

Add the vegetables back, along with the chili powder and parsley, and cook for another 10 minutes or so:
step2.jpg

Finally, add that to the beans, along with the rest of the seasonings. Cover and simmer for an hour, then skim:
step3.jpg

Serve with crackers, cheese and sour cream:
finish.jpg

First time I made this myself, and it came out pretty good. i might reduce the salt a bit next time, and I need to make sure I buy name brand crackers. I bought the store brand to save 30 cents, and they are awful. Since I like my chili and crackers in an approximate 1:1 ratio (you can't see what's under the surface in that picture), it was pretty disappointing.

I'm probably going to do my cooking mainly on the weekends, as I go back to school tomorrow, but I'm going to try to keep posting semi-regularly. I'm making a couple things today, and I'll put those up later if I get a chance (and if they come out well).

Forsete

Therion that looks excellent and tasty. My type of dish. :)

Ok, one more before I am done for the weekend.

Pai-thai, my favourite dish.

thai4.jpg

Chicken, cabbage, garlic, leek, soya and thai sweet chilli sauce.

thai3.jpg

thai2.jpg

thai1.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of the plate.. :( But I eat it with regular string pasta.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Zyxxizz, your ramen pic is haunting me someway. could you share the recipe, please?

at OnkelC's request.

ingredients:

Ramen & broth
-cabbage
-dashi stock (either the powder or flake form)
-miso (optional, a teaspoon)
-your choice of noodles

for the char siu (chinese roast pork), this is the way my mother taught me to make it and I refuse to make it any other way but since some of the sauces might be difficult to find there are alternative recipes for this.

-pork (my mama taught me to use pork shoulder butt but sometimes I use any pork if I dont have it on hand)
-black bean garlic sauce
41R525NKPWL._SL500_AA268_.jpg

-char siu sauce
41A9IMRj12L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

-sugar

in a pot boil some water and then put in the pork. Depending on how much meat you are using you may need to use more of the sauces. If a single serving amount half a table spoon of black bean sauce and 1 tablespoon of char siu sauce will do fine. Add more if you want more flavor it wont hurt.

Let it get to a boil again and then add a little spoon of sugar. Put the fire on medium and let it do its magic for about 20-30 minutes, the length varies depending on the thickness of the meat.

As for the ramen just boil some water in a seperate pot, add in the dashi stock, a wee bit of miso and let it boil. Slice the cabbage while thats getting to a boil and when its ready dump it into the ramen pot along with the noodles.

check on the char siu often and once the outside has been browned very well poke it and if it goes thru easy and no blood comes out the you are good way go. Slice the char siu and serve it with the ramen and cabbage and use some of the sauce from the char siu pot for the ramen bowl and its good to eat. As a bonus the leftover sauce from making char siu can be saved for later use and I usually save a little for my next ramen meal.

2777409314_950938377e_b.jpg

Therion

Zyzyxxz said:
for the char siu (chinese roast pork), this is the way my mother taught me to make it and I refuse to make it any other way

Wow, I did not realize you could just buy the sauce and make char siu so easily. The recipes I've seen have all been long and complicated from scratch and have put me off. Char siu bao are one of my favorite foods and have become impossible for me to get since moving to Iowa. I may have to try making them sometime...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks to you all and welcome therion! more please.

a few more practice shots for the assignment, Spaghetti carbonara:
smallP1040255.jpg

smallP1040257.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Therion said:
Wow, I did not realize you could just buy the sauce and make char siu so easily. The recipes I've seen have all been long and complicated from scratch and have put me off. Char siu bao are one of my favorite foods and have become impossible for me to get since moving to Iowa. I may have to try making them sometime...

glad to help. Of course its not gonna be like those meat shops where its all red and its been roasted over fire for hours but it hits me right in the home-cooked spot

DonCuco

Did some thin sliced porkchops with steamed rice w/ corn nibblets, and some steamed cauliflower , and some broccoli. The chops were just seasoned with some garlic salt and fresh ground pepper.

PICT0202.jpg

PICT0208.jpg

Sister brought some smoked salmon home so I made a spread with it:
img5425ph3.jpg

img5426gv5.jpg

Then I made chicken fricassee from this book:
img5428oj0.jpg

Clean and butcher a chicken. Then salt the pieces.
img5432ht7.jpg

Brown the pieces in about 4tbsps of butter.
img5434sb1.jpg

img5436wy0.jpg

Add more butter, white wine, nutmeg, finely diced onion, and thyme to the same pot and scrape brown bits off the bottom. Bring to a boil.
img5442vn7.jpg

Put chicken back into the pot for another 30-40 minutes.
img5443we7.jpg

Remove chicken. Whisk an egg yoke (or two) with milk or heavy cream (varies depending which one you use) then whisk into sauce.
img5446fn4.jpg

Pour onto chicken or put the chicken into the sauce like I did to keep warm.
img5448js8.jpg

Serve.
img5454ph1.jpg

tak

Zyzyxxz said:
It's been a while guys so time to get updated.

chuck steak with penne pasta
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/2776410723_d4ffd9894e_b.jpg[IMG]

chicken fried rice in the wok...
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2776413213_797d64a4a7_b.jpg[IMG]

...and in the bowl
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2777268424_9d5a165d12_b.jpg[IMG]

making some [I]Char Siu[/I] or Chinese Roast pork for ramen
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2204/2776551339_041afd330f_b.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2776551727_2a7377784c_b.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2777409314_950938377e_b.jpg[IMG]

made some wontons too last week, sorry for the crappy pics, I only had my cell phone that day
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2776558327_bc24287a5c_o.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2776558503_5a46736a9f_o.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2776558663_32e2cc3a65_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks pretty awesome. Where did you pickup that ramen recipe? I've been looking for different ramen recipes, but I have not been having a lot of luck.

Zyzyxxz

JEKKI said:
whaaaaaaaaat is that?!?!?!

gotta put that on my shopping list next time I go to LA! I wanna make sum too!! :D

you can get it at most asian super markets and if you are lucky at your local big chain grocer in the Asian food section. I've occasionally found it at Ralph's.

I may do a proper step by step for char siu (I prefer to call it cha-su the way its actually pronounce, dam Romanization) since its such a good dish it'd be a shame not to share.

SRG01

Zyzyxxz said:
you can get it at most asian super markets and if you are lucky at your local big chain grocer in the Asian food section. I've occasionally found it at Ralph's.

I may do a proper step by step for char siu (I prefer to call it cha-su the way its actually pronounce, dam Romanization) since its such a good dish it'd be a shame not to share.

So they actually managed to put a roasted pork + honey taste into a bottle? Sweet! :D

PS. That black bean sauce is great!

Zyzyxxz

SRG01 said:
So they actually managed to put a roasted pork + honey taste into a bottle? Sweet! :D

PS. That black bean sauce is great!

yup the black bean sauce is awesome, do a stir fry and then throw in a spoon and its perfect.

I don't think there is any pork flavoring in the char siu sauce. I forgot whats in it but yeah its pretty sweet. I've never tried using it over a open flame though.

Priz

We moved offices at the end of June, so since settling in here I have been trying all the new places that have opened around here. Most of my coworkers are of the Carl's Jr., McDonald's or bring in their own fish/rice/other dishes (mostly asian). Not really adventurous to try new things.

I'm a little different. :)

There's a handful of indian restaurants around here, most with lunch buffets, but there's one that stands out right now. It's more expensive, but the food is much higher quality than any of the others by far and it tastes amazing. It's called Madhuban Indian Cuisine and it's head chef has been in some major cooking competitions. Here's a plate from their lunch buffet:

Butter Chicken, Dal Makhani, and there's this one dish which is so good - full of garbanzo beans, spices, seasoning and topped with red onions, cilantro, tomatoes and jalapenos. It has so much flavor it's amazing. I can't stop eating it whenever I go. :)

I also go to the fast indian place Chaat Cafe and get the Tandoori Chicken wrap which is chunks of boneless chicken mixed with a diced cucumber salad and some mint chutney, wrapped in a giant piece of naan. Served with Spicy Potato Salad or Cucumber Salad. Very tasty and just enough to fill you without overeating. I also really like their Samosa Chaat. I need to get pictures of it...

Zyzyxxz

Priz said:

Man you are lucky to work near places with such good food. I have some local indian places around me but I have no idea if they are good, I assume they are pretty ghetto judging from the look of the places

made some chocolate bouchons last night, from a thomas keller recipe. a light dusting of sugar, top quality chocolate and cocoa powder (scharffen berger) seals the deal.

2801496654_76a15bb74a.jpg

Zyzyxxz

ugh I feel like such an idiot.

I left my cast iron pan to boil some salted water to clean out the grease and I forgot about it, when I remembered all the water was gone and now the pan's black coating has flaked off.

I dunno if its still safe to use? Anybody know?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, nice dessert!

Zyzzyxxz, i fear you killed the skillet :(. You could try to reheat the pan filled with pure salt until the salt turns grey (caution, the salt gets really hot), then wipe it with neutral oil like peanut or sunflower. Cast iron skillets need that little buildup of grime and oil in them to get the best frying results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom