• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeenbor

Long time reader... First time poster. Gotta get a better camera, though... Here we go:

n589453453_1307426_8318.jpg

I had a craving for leeks, of all things. The result? Pork chop on the bone with a beer-mushroom sauce. To complement, buttered leek & carrots with a white wine, tomato-basil feta sauce. Finished it up with mashed sweet potatoes infused with brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon.

Zyzyxxz

really awesome loaf of bread there Beelzebozo!

Zeenbor said:
Long time reader... First time poster. Gotta get a better camera, though... Here we go:

I had a craving for leeks, of all things. The result? Pork chop on the bone with a beer-mushroom sauce. To complement, buttered leek & carrots with a white wine, tomato-basil feta sauce. Finished it up with mashed sweet potatoes infused with brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon.

damn nice stuff there, how'd it taste?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I invited this girl I am going out with to eat at my house and I've decided I will prepare something with alfredo sauce. I was thinking of doing this:

Fettuccine (cooked in water with salt and some vegetable oil)

Skinless, Boneless Chicken in strips cooked in a pan with some butter, black peppers, maybe some lemon juice over the strips. Also, add some vegetables like tomatoes and onions (all cut in squares).

Now the sauce is a different story, I don't want to make my own (big hassle), so which premade sauce do you guys recommend? I am trying to avoid Ragu.... I don't like their sauces.

Anything else you guys think I could add to this Fettuccine Alfredo? Cheese? Something to the pasta?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zeenbor said:
n589453453_1307426_8318.jpg

Heh, I've got those plates. :) The components of your meal sound very nice, although there are too many different flavors going on for my liking. I'd probably have gone with a simpler vegetable and used the leeks with the pork chop. That feta sauce would be really good with some grilled chicken or maybe sausage, I bet!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
caramelized onions are probably in my top five ingredients to use in cooking. put them on a hamburger, and it instantly goes from something pedestrian to something refined and special; pissaladierre (caramelized onion, anchovy, and olive pizza) is the ultimate caramelized onion showcase, though.

Yes Boss!

last week made a big batch of Tapioca pudding...just finished it all today (got better with age, of course).

excellent raw tapioca:

raw.jpg

soaking and mixing milk and yolks:

soak.jpg

combined and bringing to boil:

combined.jpg

fully cooked and reduced:

cooked.jpg

whipping whites and sugar:

white-1.jpg

folded and cooked for five minutes more:

folded.jpg

adding vanilla and grated nutmeg:

vanilla.jpg

ready to be chilled:

chill.jpg

Nooreo

I am fasting right now and i am very hungry, i was tempted to see all the good food this thread has to offer

now i regret coming in this thread :( . T__T

Yes Boss!

Spicy Lentils with Brown Onions and Ginger.

Ingredients (i use a whole habenero, whole jalapeno and ample red pepper flakes):

ingrediants.jpg

Soaking the lentils:

soak-1.jpg

Prep (julienne the ginger):

prep.jpg

Boiling the lentils, peppers, salt, tumeric:

peppers.jpg

Sauteing the spice (red pepper, asafoetida, cumin):

spice.jpg

Sauteing onion:

onion.jpg

Fully browned onion/ginger:

brown.jpg

Final mix:

final.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I can't take pictures (No camera whatsoever, my phone is cumbersome to take pictures out too), but I just made a quickass Spicy Fettuccine Alfredo. The idea was NOT to make it spicy, but I got carried away with black pepper and garlic. In the end, the result was plain awesome. It tasted even better than I ever expected it to. I still haven't eaten, waiting for the girl, but I took a good taste of it and it was quite nice. Gonna wait for her say though =).

I also used Roasted Garlic Fettuccine which gave it an additional taste of garlic. Yes, I like garlic.

Zyzyxxz

Relix said:
I can't take pictures (No camera whatsoever, my phone is cumbersome to take pictures out too), but I just made a quickass Spicy Fettuccine Alfredo. The idea was NOT to make it spicy, but I got carried away with black pepper and garlic. In the end, the result was plain awesome. It tasted even better than I ever expected it to. I still haven't eaten, waiting for the girl, but I took a good taste of it and it was quite nice. Gonna wait for her say though =).

I also used Roasted Garlic Fettuccine which gave it an additional taste of garlic. Yes, I like garlic.

good luck with the chick.

Personally I'm not a fan of alfredo, too creamy for me.

Tonight I sauteed some chicken and topped it with a brown deglazing sauce. I also made my first attempt mashed potatoes. I wasn't used to cooking two separate courses at the same time, so the heat got away from me during the sautee. Browner than I might've liked, but at least it wasn't burnt. The overbrowning actually lent it a very rich, slightly sweet carmalized flavor.

Here I am enriching the canned chicken broth flavor by using sliced carrots, celery, onions, parsley, and thyme.

IMG_1691.jpg

The herbs should have been added later into the cooking process. I sprinkled the chicken with chopped basil, thyme, and tarragon.

IMG_1696.jpg

Deglazed the pan with a combination of my chicken broth, white vermouth, and shallots. Made for a tart flavor that nicely complimented the chicken and mash.

IMG_1700.jpg

Done.
IMG_1703.jpg

deadbeef

Red Beans and Rice tomorrow. Anyone have any good Cajun seasonings recipes? For now, I'm going to get by with some salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, and bay leaves and plenty of Louisiana Hot Sauce. We'll see how it goes.

Soaking the beans tonight.

This guy's Creole seasoning mix looks pretty good to me. I used his red beans recipe for my post above (although not his seasoning mix; just went with the storebought Tony Cachere's or whatever) and it turned out pretty well.

deadbeef

Thanks for the link to the Cajun seasonings. I used a modified version of that in my recipe today.

Soaking...
RedBeans004.jpg

*cooking*

Done...
untitled.jpg

diunxx

I love this thread!, I wish I could cook like you guys, my diet pretty much consist on rice and meat, and sandwiches.

Yes Boss! said:
Spicy Lentils with Brown Onions and Ginger.

final.jpg

That looks delicious and I love spicy food. I might attempt that this week. Do you serve it with rice or something to uh...balance out the spicy?

Yes Boss!

slidewinder said:
sauce.jpg

a fairly passable, and very simple, homemade hotsauce.

Definitely going to make a batch of this...and i've even got an extra tabasco bottle with a wide mouth for it. I'm thinking I might add a small bit of guar gum as I blend to help the consistency.

Yes Boss!

nakedsushi said:
That looks delicious and I love spicy food. I might attempt that this week. Do you serve it with rice or something to uh...balance out the spicy?

It is certainly spicy! It is my improvisation on the recipe below. Basically, I replaced pink lentils with the heartier brown, and amped up the peppers with our wonderful southern california and mexico peppers. A very lean and healthy dish with just a smidge of fat in the ghee or vegetable oil. Asofoetida is optional...just adds a leekiness flavor. Oh yeah, and it is a side dish.

IMG_0706.jpg

rezuth

Some more stuff, regarding the phone I used it was a Samsung D-900. Absolutely brilliant camera in a phone but it does not have a flash so if you are taking a picture in a dark room, forget it. Its away on repairs atm so I'm stuck with a lousy K750i :( I will at-least try to offer some good pics.

Chili Chicken. Best eaten while doing iPhone apps.
chili_chicken.jpg

chili_chicken2.jpg

Steak and fries.
steak_fries.jpg

steak_fries2.jpg

Avocado freak
avacado.jpg

Beef Stroganoff
beefstroganoff.jpg

SRG01

My mom says oyster sauce, half a spoon of dark soya sauce, corn starch and sugar. :D

(That dark soy sauce is like lo chau or something like that?)

2842532148_4a1f1682ff.jpg

Soba salad with mizuna, mountain vegetables, and a poached egg.

2841696509_a0524ea9c1.jpg

Gazpacho from some tomatoes we picked up at the farmer's market. Yay tomato season!

Zyzyxxz, I think that SRG01 has it right. I've never made brown sauce before, but I'd imagine that's what it was made of. I'd probably throw in some fermented black bean, but that might be overkill for some people.

ChryZ

SRG01 said:
My mom says oyster sauce, half a spoon of dark soya sauce, corn starch and sugar.
This, pretty much.

Mix cold and heat carefully until the starch is starting to bind/thicken the sauce.

I made stuffed mushrooms with ground turkey, diced bread, egg, pancetta, and seasonings in button and bella mushrooms.

img5564nf8.jpg

img5563wd6.jpg

img5565rz3.jpg

img5570zv7.jpg

Sauteed the stems in butter because I didn't know what else to do with them.
img5571da3.jpg

Zyzyxxz

SRG01 said:
My mom says oyster sauce, half a spoon of dark soya sauce, corn starch and sugar. :D

(That dark soy sauce is like lo chau or something like that?)

hmm thats the same thing I use for everything practically. Looks like I was on the right track, yay!

edit*

quail eggs for lunch!

2843289553_75a4d8f22b_b.jpg

SRG01

Yeah, I thought it was some other sauce too, but it turns out it's just the same thing we use for everything else! :lol It's so versatile!

tomat1.jpg

tomat2.jpg

Tomatilloes first with their husks on, and then peeled and cleaned. I roasted these under a broiler and then chopped them roughly.
roasted_chiles.jpg

Some Hatch (New Mexico) chiles, roasted as well. These look like Anaheims, but are quite a bit hotter, and infinitely more flavorful.
chopped_chile.jpg

The chiles ready for addition to the stew; skins and stems removed, most of the seeds rinsed out, and chopped.
pork.jpg

Pork chunks dredged in masa harina and browned.
oregano.jpg

Grinding some Mexican oregano in a molcajete just for fun (the back of a spoon works just as well).
almost_stew.jpg

Just needs some chicken broth and about 45 minutes to simmer:
stew.jpg

Spicy deliciousness.

ronito

Ok GAF ironchefs I have a challenge for you.

I'm a consultant and travel a bit. At the hotel I'm staying at I have a stove (2 burners no oven). I am allowed to buy myself groceries (within $15-$20 bucks at most). I have 3 pans a Pasta Pot and a frying pan and a sauce pan. I have no fancy kitchen tools, I have a can opener, and the standard fork, knife, spoon utensils. I have no spices with me, so anything like that needs to be bought. Lastly by the time I get home I'm exhausted and don't want to cook longer than 30-ish minutes. Guide me to some quick, cheap and easy meals you can make on the road. I like Italian but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

To sum up:
Two burners no oven.
3 pans
$15-$20 limit (includes all ingredients)
No kitchen gadgets
<30 minutes

Help me IronGAF!

Not cooked by me (unfortunately) but I wanted to share part of my lunch. I went to my usual sushi spot which is close to work, reasonably priced, and has a friendly chef. I forgot to take pictures until the last quarter of my meal, but here's what I had.

2844660525_46be3bd864.jpg

baked amaebi -- I usually have it raw, so having it baked was a nice change of pace. It tasted like a baby lobster!

2845496068_785851a04d.jpg

salmon tartare and green chill pepper tempura stuffed with spicy tuna

2845496146_6f044e0b4b.jpg

2844660711_37afd8b4fc.jpg

Seared kobe-styled beef nigiri. I've never had beef nigiri before, but it's definitely different than fish nigiri. The beef was flavorful and tender and the rice was great, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was eating the world's smallest beef terriyaki bowl.

I had a bunch of more traditional nigiri before those couple of dishes, but I was too busing omnomnoming to take pictures haha.

If anyone is in the LA area, definitely give Otom Sushi-ya a try. It's not fancy-pants or anything, but the food is decent and the prices are right.

ronito said:

To sum up:
Two burners no oven.
3 pans
No kitchen gadgets
<30 minutes

Help me IronGAF!

I'm assuming you're staying somewhere in the US or the northern hemisphere? You're in luck because it's TOMATO SEASON!

Ingredients:
1 package long pasta (I prefer angel hair or capellini, but spaghetti works too)
2 ripe tomatoes
a couple leaves of basil
1 clove garlic
a couple teaspoons olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
Cook the pasta according to instructions and drain. Chop up the tomatoes, seed them, but save any liquid. Mince the garlic, mix it up with oil, drizzle over pasta. Throw in the chopped tomatoes, tear up some basil, toss everything in with the pasta and toss to coat. Salt and pepper till you're satisfied.

If you get delicious tomatoes, this simple meal is fantastic. I like to take a cut clove of garlic and rub it all over the bowl I'm tossing the pasta in for some extra garlic flavor.

Zyzyxxz

ronito said:

To sum up:
Two burners no oven.
3 pans
No kitchen gadgets
<30 minutes

Help me IronGAF!

rice
ground pork
a clove of garlic
small onion diced
bok choy cut into pieces or Napa cabbage if that is available
soy sauce + oyster sauce + mixed with a little water (substitute with a stir-fry package if you are cheap, lazy, or both)
a bit of oil or butter, whichever comes in a more convenient package for you (I'd recommend you steal some butter packages from the hotel since its a waste to buy a whole package of oil or butter)

rice, wash properly and put it into the pot with water to cover but no more than half a cm to a full cm above the rice level. Heat on high covered until water boils, when water reduces enough leave the pot uncovered and keep an eye on it until the liquid is gone.

While cooking the rice, oil the pan with the greatest height for the stir fry.

Put in the ground pork first.

Then onions.

Then the stir fry sauce

Then The bok choy. When its soft serve it on top of the rice, I assume you could eat it out of the pot if you were lazy, just let it cool down.

bovo

Long time since I last posted - I cooked tofu schnitzel again (first attempt).

As it's basically the same as your vegan fish, nakedsushi, I used your tip of freezing and defrosting the tofu first. Definitely gives it a better texture (in my, non-vegetarian, opinion).

Anyway, here is the result.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
been a while since i made these, but my friend annie requested some, so here we go. the simple, decadent pleasures of a homemade chocolate chip cookie.

e0pchz.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon and woke up shortly thereafter with eggplant parmesan on the brain. So, dinner was born:

wtf87l.jpg

Eggplant slices, lightly breaded and pan-fried in olive oil, then baked with a leaf of basil, fresh mozzarella and parmesan. Topped with a mix of red and yellow tomato, garlic, olives, red onion, oregano and basil, and then roasted in the oven for about 45 minutes. All the delicious juices released by the veggies is great drizzled over some warmed bread. :)

funk0ar

Cosmic Bus said:
I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon and woke up shortly thereafter with eggplant parmesan on the brain. So, dinner was born:

wtf87l.jpg

Eggplant slices, lightly breaded and pan-fried in olive oil, then baked with a leaf of basil, fresh mozzarella and parmesan. Topped with a mix of red and yellow tomato, garlic, olives, red onion, oregano and basil, and then roasted in the oven for about 45 minutes. All the delicious juices released by the veggies is great drizzled over some warmed bread. :)

Melanzzane, Awesome!

CrystalGemini said:
I made stuffed mushrooms with ground turkey, diced bread, egg, pancetta, and seasonings in button and bella mushrooms.

img5565rz3.jpg

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

I still remember the first time I ate a stuffed mushroom. They must've just came out of the pan, sizzling hot on the platter. And when I put it in my mouth I had to juggle it around because it was so hot, and when I bit into it the delicious juices scalded the roof of mymouth. Didn't stop me from devouring the entire order, barely taking more than a bite or two before swallowing it quickly and moving onto another. It looks quite involved, but your post, and what looks to be very successful results, has inspired me to try to make it sometime this month.

Cosmic Bus said:

wtf87l.jpg

Marry me.

I had my new neighbors over for dinner and wanted to make something that didn't require slaving over a hot stove, so I made nabe. Luckily, it was cool enough that the hot soup and noodles were satisfying and warming without making us sweat too much.

2849611517_db8dd032ae.jpg

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
I had my new neighbors over for dinner and wanted to make something that didn't require slaving over a hot stove, so I made nabe. Luckily, it was cool enough that the hot soup and noodles were satisfying and warming without making us sweat too much.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2849611517_db8dd032ae.jpg

my biggest gripe about summer in SoCal. I always work up a sweat eating hot soup noodles

Dammit its finally starting to cool off! RAMEN SEASON AGAIN FOR ME!

Tomorrow I will be attempting this: http://www.norecipes.com/2008/05/18/buta-kakuni-japanese-braised-porkbelly/

I love pork belly and it goes great with ramen from a different variation in the past I've tried.

Just need to wake up early enough to head to the market and buy some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom