• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nakedsushi said:
Nice air pockets! What type of yeast/starter did you use for it?

fleischmann's instant rise, in the little jar. the trick isn't what yeast you use, but how you handle the dough after its first rise; a lot of people make the mistake of punching it down or manhandling it, and they end up with bread that's far too dense.

bud

beelzebozo said:
as promised:

24blnwx.jpg

holy crap. that looks incredible :bow

E-phonk

Banned
Thriller said:
I really hope youll enjoy this ;) Eet smakelijk from Holland!

Bedankt, looks good. Thanks for the detailed description. I like it when people give step-by-step feedback on what they did, so you can replicate the stuff that looks delicious.

Truant

I've never been a fan of spinach, until I accidentaly ordered spinach with garlic and bleu cheese as a side dish at a restaurant this summer. Suffice to say, I'm a fan now, and I've been aching to replicate that dish ever since.

I'm making this tonight, but I have no idea how. Right now I have fresh spinach, garlic, and Gorgonzola cheese. The question is, what do I do with it? Do I need more ingredients? How do I prepare them?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I love them stuffed eggs, it's a blast from my childhood!
the yakitori are a lunch for heroes, how did you make the omurice, Zyzzyxx?

The bread also looks awesome, thanks beelzebozo.

Truant said:
I've never been a fan of spinach, until I accidentaly ordered spinach with garlic and bleu cheese as a side dish at a restaurant this summer. Suffice to say, I'm a fan now, and I've been aching to replicate that dish ever since.

I'm making this tonight, but I have no idea how. Right now I have fresh spinach, garlic, and Gorgonzola cheese. The question is, what do I do with it? Do I need more ingredients? How do I prepare them?
Hi, it's an easy to make side dish. Wash the spinach and loosely dry it of excess water. Chop the garlic (about one clove per pound of fresh spinach) and fry it in a bit of olive oil until it gets savory. Add the spinach and let it sautee until the volume has decreased ot one half of the original. Add the chopped gorgonzola and let it melt while constantly stirring. You can add a hint of nutmeg to the spinach, it's the natural spice for it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
ugh, this is not the thread to look at when you are starving. Been through pages and pages of all of this, and I must say, you guys are awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh, haha. well, for the record, status quo on this end.

and i appreciate everyone's compliments on the bread, but i assure you it's nothing you couldn't do yourself by picking up a good bread baking book and messing around in the kitchen a couple of weeks. and well worth it.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
the yakitori are a lunch for heroes, how did you make the omurice, Zyzzyxx?

just made a very thin but large omelette, made some quick fried rice of only onions and chinese dried shrimps. Put some rice in the omelette and fold over, simple as that.

JEKKI

I got tempura ice cream at the sushi place...

2ew0hsm.jpg

so freakin good. It's plum ice cream with like a fried batter around it and put inside of an orange.

Zyzyxxz

JEKKI said:
I got tempura ice cream at the sushi place...

2ew0hsm.jpg

so freakin good. It's plum ice cream with like a fried batter around it and put inside of an orange.

how do you fry ice cream? Wouldn't it melt fast?

Zyzyxxz said:
how do you fry ice cream? Wouldn't it melt fast?

Since oil is hydrophobic, only a small layer of the ice cream melt, and then creates a thermo-protective shell of water. Oil and water don't mix, thus the thermal interaction is very small, just on the surface. Hence you can create a layer of 'fried ice', but what you actually fry are the non-water products of ice cream.

I do think you'd have to insert the ice cream into the fryer real quick, so that the ice melts reasonably homogeneously acros its surface, or else the water would evaporate instantly on the surfaces that are not in contact with the hot oil.

EDIT: in addition, you can't keep it in the fryer for too long, or else you get a closed layer of fried ice cream with water in it.

jarosh

Thriller said:
me living near the Northsea then..
oh i see what he meant now. still, a little nit picky if you ask me. the north sea still belongs to the atlantic ocean even if it's "just" a marginal sea.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Breakfast from this morning at a place around the corner from me in Toronto, service is terrible, but it's worth it for the best garlic fries I have ever had.

2874982147_80a3aa766f_b.jpg

Goldrusher

jarosh said:
oh i see what he meant now. still, a little nit picky if you ask me. the north sea still belongs to the atlantic ocean even if it's "just" a marginal sea.
In a way, but not a single person here will refer to it as an ocean. Never. Not in any country or industry.

Anyway, back to the cooking.

jarosh

Goldrusher said:
In a way, but not a single person here will refer to it as an ocean. Never. Not in any country or industry.
i disagree. the simple dictionary translation for ocean in german is: "meer", which can refer to any kind of sea, be it the north sea or an actual ocean. another definition is also "ozean" though, the german equivalent of an ocean in the sense of "the atlantic ocean".

but even in english there's two distinct definitions. look it up, every dictionary will give you at least two defintions, one of them being (A) "the entire body of salt water that covers the earth", the other one being (B) "any of the geographical divisions of this body...".

now, thriller said "living near the ocean", not "living near AN ocean", so it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that he was speaking about the ocean as defined in (A) "the entire body of salt water on earth". the north sea is part of that "body of salt water". so there you go.

when you say "not a single person HERE will refer to it as an ocean" what region are you talking about? in german there is nothing wrong with referring to the "nordsee" as "meer" and i assume the same is true for dutch.

i agree that saying "i live near AN ocean" would not be correct in this case but i don't see anything wrong with "i live near THE ocean".

Taking advantage of tomato season:
2876564730_e596f058f8.jpg

Tomato salad with basil, olive oil, salt.

2875735193_c99806213a.jpg

Linguine with home-made sauce consisting of tomatoes, fresh porcinis, red wine, garlic, fresh oregano, basil.

Can you tell I like tomatoes?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
capslock, is that fried sourdough bread on the left of the plate?

nakedsushi, looks good. were the tomatoes homegrown?

Momar

aka Ryder
Beelzebozo, that bread looks delicious.

I've been interested in trying my hand at some baking, but have never done it before. Any general tips for a new baker/recipes for a nice loaf of bread? I'm not terribly interested in pastry stuff, my goal is to be able to just bake my own bread :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ryder said:

I've been interested in trying my hand at some baking, but have never done it before. Any general tips for a new baker/recipes for a nice loaf of bread? I'm not terribly interested in pastry stuff, my goal is to be able to just bake my own bread :)
You could try this foccaccia recipe and go without the filling, it's a basic yeast dough and you can vary it to your likes:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4580303&postcount=61

I would just like to show you what a typical everyday Danish meal (between me and my girlfriend) looks like.

To get us stuffed!
Oven baked potatoes(boat shaped with the skin on), carrots and parsnips. Spiced with saffron, oregano and some olive oil.
IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

Served together with some salad and some leftovers from yesterday's meal(forcemeat, rice, potatoe, carrot and salsa)
IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

The yellowish blob is actually not mayo, but remoulade, which is very popular in Denmark(we pretty much use remoulade where you'd have used ketchup). I use a lot of remoulade compared to my girlfriend and pretty much anyone else I know.

Now since we had leftovers from yesterday it ended being a bit weird mix. Usually the ovenbaked stuff would have gone together with some kind of steak or fish.

It's not the finest stuff you could find in Danish homes, but pretty good for two students on a monday evening.

OnkelC said:
capslock, is that fried sourdough bread on the left of the plate?

nakedsushi, looks good. were the tomatoes homegrown?

No, I got them from the farmer's market, so I think they're just regular farm grown.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Metroid Killer, that's a prime student dish! I am a fan of danish remoulade myself, it goes so well with a lot of dishes. Thanks for sharing.

planked

Enchiladas! big ones.... extraladas? eh. enough fun and games!

Lets cook!

preheat that oven of yours to about 400 first.

working with:
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced (i cheated and used preminced)
~2 lbs chicken, cubed
can o' salsa
can o' black beans
pickled jalapenos, diced. the more the hotter!
tortillas
can o' red enchilada sauce
lots of grated cheese
black pepper, to taste

15ect3.jpg

oil up a pan, and saute that onion and garlic, making the kitchen smell awesome:
10hoj9x.jpg

2 lbs of raw salmonella:
2cwmuds.jpg

add to pan, with some black pepper:
ej9ydx.jpg

when chicken is cooked through, dump the other goodness on there (beans, salsa, jalapenos):
28oyeu.jpg

stir and simmer/reduce:
xm0l60.jpg

i was ready to dive right in here, but NO! you MUST PRESS ON!

make a little assembly line from pan, to torilla'd plate, to greased glass... dish.. thing. throw some cheese on the tortilla first:
ma8pz8.jpg

o0p2k9.jpg

2ngalu0.jpg

ench sauce it: action shot!:
9is2ok.jpg

cheese it with action as well!:
2ni8h1e.jpg

toss that sucker in your preheated oven and wait about 10-15, which gives you time to... Wash all those dirty dishes! I LOVE it when you can do that!:
ivkght.jpg

out and rrready to eat!
2vmzq6g.jpg

ENJOY!

oh man so good. hello little wiimote
2wme5jq.jpg

questions? comments? ideas/suggestions? all welcome!

Dinner tonight was a couple of simple Japanese dishes:

2880724765_13bbe6008d.jpg

Hiyakko tofu topped with grated radish, green onion, and a splash of ponzu.

2880724843_f82b0dc5d8.jpg

Matsutake gohan with shredded egg omlette. I also stirred in a raw eggyolk with my steaming hot rice because I'm hard core like that.

2881561728_be681b7034.jpg

cucumber salad

2881561798_18268ab1c5.jpg

Mochi on a stick!

Zyzyxxz

beef and roasted tomato skewers for lunch. Decided to throw some random spices on them.

2881826562_8358267e1a_b.jpg

2881827668_7789d63bdd_b.jpg

nakedsushi said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2880724843_f82b0dc5d8.jpg[img]
Matsutake gohan with shredded egg omlette. I also stirred in a raw eggyolk with my steaming hot rice because I'm hard core like that.
[/QUOTE]

All your stuff looks really as usual, especially the egg rice that looks really good!

But you ain't hardcore compared to my cousin's from China. They will crack a raw egg into a dipping bowl scramble it and use it as a dipping sauce for shabu shabu.

planked said:
toss that sucker in your preheated oven and wait about 10-15, which gives you time to... Wash all those dirty dishes! I LOVE it when you can do that!:
Me too. It's one of the great things about multitasking, it's so efficiently! Looks great! I'm a sucker for mexican food!

nakedsushi said:
and mochi too... :( I need to get me some mochi!

tri_willy

Zyzyxxz said:
beef and roasted tomato skewers for lunch. Decided to throw some random spices on them.

2881826562_8358267e1a_b.jpg

2881827668_7789d63bdd_b.jpg

them beef skewers look very nice and juicy and tender... i would love to dip some of that in some garlic sauce... oh yeaaaaa...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
planked, wonderful presentation of a great dish! Thank you very much for sharing and MOAR OF STUHF LIKE DAT PLZ!:lol

nakedsushi, prime pics as usual!

Zyzyxxz, never fail to impress with a nice idea. never seen a tomato skewer before, are those tomatoes you grew yourself?

Zyzyxxz

tri_willy said:
them beef skewers look very nice and juicy and tender... i would love to dip some of that in some garlic sauce... oh yeaaaaa...

DAM thats a good idea! Well it was a quick and lazy lunch so I did not bother to think that far ahead.

OnkelC said:
planked, wonderful presentation of a great dish! Thank you very much for sharing and MOAR OF STUHF LIKE DAT PLZ!:lol

nakedsushi, prime pics as usual!

Zyzyxxz, never fail to impress with a nice idea. never seen a tomato skewer before, are those tomatoes you grew yourself?

No, luckily I live in California where we have great produce. The tomatoes were of very high quality.

Kayma

planked said:
i was ready to dive right in here, but NO! you MUST PRESS ON!

Ok, I lol'ed: I always think that when I make Mexican food.

Seriously, those enchiladas look buenísimo. I might have to make some this week.

Zyzyxxz

I need some help deciding a future cooking tool purchase.

I like yakitori but I'd rather not make it on my gas BBQ grill so does cooking with coal provide a much better tastes? I'm looking at two different types of grills.

electric:
http://www.tokyomango.com/tokyo_mango/2007/02/yakitori_grill.html

coal:
http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal-grills/portable-camping-grills/largeyakatorigrill.cfm#details
http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal-grills/portable-camping-grills/smallyakatorigrill.cfm

The coal looks tempting but seems to be much more a pain-in-the-ass kinda of ordeal. Opinions? I already have a gas grill so I am kind of leaning toward coal since I'd like to diversify but I also want this to be convenient so I can make yakitori whenever I want.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
for everyday useability, I'd go with the electric one. coal might be a tad better for taste, but it's a big hassle for just a few skewers IMHO.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ryder said:

i'm way late with this response, but my suggestion is to pick up a good bread baking book. you can cull a lot of information from the internet, but a really great book on how to make great bread will speed up the process exponentially. this is the one i recommend:

The-Bread-Baker-Apprentice-Mastering-the-Art-of-Extraordinary-Bread-1580082688-L.jpg

it'll teach you to make great sandwich bread, italian, french, focaccia, pizza dough. . . everything. it has pictures of how to shape all the doughs, how to make starters, etc. etc. etc. it's fantastic and well worth the investment. if you're serious about making excellent bread--and you should be, because the hype about homemade versus store-bought is very much a factor in the u.s. where bread is concerned--i suggest you pick it up.

if and when you start giving it a shot, i'll be glad to talk to you about the finer points of different loaves and what-not. i need a baking buddy.

those enchiladas looks amazing planked, will be trying that recipe soon.

I've never done enchiladas before though, you use a full can of enchilada sauce or like half? full seems like a lot.

The more chile, the better, essentially. For normal enchiladas, the tortillas (always corn) are heated and then totally submerged into the chile, so that they are completely coated, and even saturated, with it before being filled. More sauce is then often poured over the assembled enchiladas, as well.

planked's delicious-looking creation would normally be considered a 'wet burrito,' or a 'burrito enchilada style.'.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
i'm way late with this response, but my suggestion is to pick up a good bread baking book. you can cull a lot of information from the internet, but a really great book on how to make great bread will speed up the process exponentially. this is the one i recommend:

The-Bread-Baker-Apprentice-Mastering-the-Art-of-Extraordinary-Bread-1580082688-L.jpg

it'll teach you to make great sandwich bread, italian, french, focaccia, pizza dough. . . everything. it has pictures of how to shape all the doughs, how to make starters, etc. etc. etc. it's fantastic and well worth the investment. if you're serious about making excellent bread--and you should be, because the hype about homemade versus store-bought is very much a factor in the u.s. where bread is concerned--i suggest you pick it up.

if and when you start giving it a shot, i'll be glad to talk to you about the finer points of different loaves and what-not. i need a baking buddy.

I went to the borders today to take gander at it and I say its a really good book. If Wipeout HD didn't come out today I would have bought it but I'm gonna hold out to see if I can get a better price than $35 - 30% coupon

Momar

aka Ryder
beelzebozo said:

http://www.bookhills.com/images/The...e-Art-of-Extraordinary-Bread-1580082688-L.jpg

Right on man! Response is much appreciated, I'll definitely look into getting ahold of this book, or one similar at the very least. I'll definitely post back in this thread after I've gotten some time to find the right recipe and a free day to just bake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom