• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since you're making spaghetti already you don't want to go overboard since you already have protein (the sauce) and probably 2 starches (noodles & bread). My best advice is to go with a simple salad if you need or want something else, keep it simple (greens, cukes, tomato, croutons and a light vinaigrette). You don't have to be elaborate to be impressive if the few dishes you do make are made with care.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
It's cold enough now that I can break out the hot pot for some spicy hot pot dinners. I got this strange szechuan hotpot mix for the broth and I'm kind of scared of it haha. I'm gonna be drinking lots of "cold energy" herbal tea (wong lo kat) just so I don't end up regretting having so much spicy stuff the next day. If ya know what I mean.

Pics to come!

just had some 2 nights ago with my family after moving back with them.

Too bad we didnt have sliced lamb.

My first contribution to this awesome thread. Spicy Pork Fried Rice. Tomorrow I need to post a picture of my spaetzle maker and ask Onkel how to use the damn thing.

fried1.jpg

fried2.jpg

Szechuan hot pot was a success! The broth was SO spicy though. Face-melting. So perfect for this weather.

3112081227_c3c0d648cf_o.jpg

items: rolled tofu skin (veggie intestine?), lotus root, king trumpet mushroom, kabocha squash, veggie kidneys, napa cabbage, bean sprouts. Man, Chinese people think of everything. Who would have thought to make VEGETARIAN kidneys and intestine? Only the Chinese, lol.

3112912580_1f955a6328_o.jpg

This is the pot we dipped all the items into for cooking. The floating white things were dduk. I bought some earlier this week to make ddukboggi later, but figured I could use some in here for the starch/carb component.

Zyzyxxz

VelvetMouth said:
My first contribution to this awesome thread. Spicy Pork Fried Rice. Tomorrow I need to post a picture of my spaetzle maker and ask Onkel how to use the damn thing.

fried1.jpg

fried2.jpg

care to share sauce recipe? Looks quite good.

Zyzyxxz said:
care to share sauce recipe? Looks quite good.

Thanks!

It's a mixture of Oyster sauce, Tamari Soy sauce(I like prefer the richer taste) Vietnamese Garlic Chili Sauce and Sesame oil. I don't have exact measurements but start with a teaspoon of each to get the taste you like. Don't add too much sesame oil though because too much and food tastes strangely muddy to me. I also coat my stir fry meat in corn starch and let it sit for a while to make a nice coating on the meat that the sauce sticks to.

I finally did it!

Risotto =D

And while some things need adjusting (more wine, sharp knives and fresh ingredients) I am still very happy with my results!

And it's tasty!

IMG_0122.jpg

=D

Zyzyxxz said:
very nice risotto.

How did it taste? Whenever I see it on TV it looks much more creamy

It was amazing

It was also creamy, because when I took the picture, I hadn't added cream+chives+parmesan cheese yet. It ended up pretty much like on tv

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hectorse, thanks for sharing! it does look a bit dry though. the addition of butter and parmesan at the end is usually done to thicken the risotto, not to moisten it...

Did you use dedicated Risotto rice?

VelvetMouth, it's meant to make those little balls called "Knöpfle" ("little buttons" in swabian lingo) which are my side of choice btw. For string-like Spätzle, you would have to scrape the dough into the boiling water from a cutting board or use a contraption like this:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzlepresse

obijkenobi said:
What do you guys think of this as the side dish with the spaghetti for that date I mentioned in the last page

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Green-Beans/Detail.aspx
Personally, I would serve a nice green or tomato salad as a side dish, pasta are not meant to be served with a v egetable dish as a side.

OnkelC said:
hectorse, thanks for sharing! it does look a bit dry though. the addition of butter and parmesan at the end is usually done to thicken the risotto, not to moisten it...

Did you use dedicated Risotto rice?

VelvetMouth, it's meant to make those little balls called "Knöpfle" ("little buttons" in swabian lingo) which are my side of choice btw. For string-like Spätzle, you would have to scrape the dough into the boiling water from a cutting board or use a contraption like this:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzlepresse

Personally, I would serve a nice green or tomato salad as a side dish, pasta are not meant to be served with a v egetable dish as a side.

I used arborio.

Uhm, maybe I stopped adding stock too early? I will try again next week and will improve on it 10000000xtimes

I am telling you the pic doesn't tell the final texture quite well, it was more like "rice with milk" that we use to do over here

Shawsie64

Banned
OnkelC said:
Kadey, looking good!

Köttbullar (Swedish Meatballs) are a real treat and quite widespread in Europe, thanks to IKEA. Every IKEA Restaurant has them for small change as a dish, and they also can be bought frozen there. For some people
me
it's the best/only reason to go to IKEA. :lol

All Meatballs sold at IKEA come from a factory in Sweden, which is supposed to be the largest Meatball factory worldwide btw.

OMG! The only reason im glad IKEA came to South Australia.. Those meatballs rock! :D

Zyzyxxz

Been messing around with pork belly recently and today I tried something that came out pretty good.

stir fried with thinly sliced onions, bean sprouts, a little bit of kimchi, and the white part of the scallions then topped with the greens of the scallions.

3114500403_de27228914_b.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Been messing around with pork belly recently and today I tried something that came out pretty good.

stir fried with thinly sliced onions, bean sprouts, a little bit of kimchi, and the white part of the scallions then topped with the greens of the scallions.

looks delicious! I shouldn't have come in this thread with an hour till i get off work, making me so hungry =/

Well I am pretty much fucked up for all these fancy recipes.

Where I live there ain't such thing as Fancy Mushrooms or weird herbs and balsamics.

What I do have is amazing fish. I will try to make due

This is a Wendy's value meal version of the McGangBang. Plus some leftover romaine lettuce and chinese parsley.

Ingredients:

1 Wendy's Double Double
1 Wendy's Jr Bacon cheeseburger
1 Wendy's Crispy Chicken sandwich
1 large leaf of romaine lettuce
Handful of chinese parsley

First I combined the Double Double with the Crispy Chicken in a traditional McGangBang configuration with all buns inside the sandwich.

wendys1.jpg

That was too fat, so i took a bun out and added it to the Jr Bacon cheeseburger with a romaine lettuce leaf and some chinese parsley.

wendys3.jpg

This was ok, but the two layers of cheeseburger plus the chicken was a lot to bite thru, so i reconfigured into 2 sandwiches with fairly equal amounts of meat and veggies.

wendys4.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hectorse said:
I used arborio.

Uhm, maybe I stopped adding stock too early? I will try again next week and will improve on it 10000000xtimes

I am telling you the pic doesn't tell the final texture quite well, it was more like "rice with milk" that we use to do over here

rule of thumb for Risotto: always prepare more stock than stated in the recipe. The preparation time/ outcome of a good risotto may vary depending on the rice, heat of the stovetop, frequency of stock infusions and so on. I would advise to not to stick to times and/or measurements from recipes religiously, but use them as an estimate instead. 10 minutes into the preparation, I would start testing out the rice and proceed after your preference concerning "bite" and texture. A risotto is done when the rice is al dente and a certain level of moist creamyness is achieved. Add butter and parmesan and you are done.

Zyzzyxx, wonderful dish as always! Looks like a Tampopo-grade bowl of goodness there! More of it, please.

parrotbeak, that's a nice improvisation! Most fast food burgers are lacking on the lettuce front IMHO.
The McGangBang is not the best idea IMHO, I had one hell of a night with that thing fighting back :(

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Zyzzyxx, wonderful dish as always! Looks like a Tampopo-grade bowl of goodness there! More of it, please.

Hah I forgot about that Tampopo then I searched youtube and remembered.

I surely will make more stuff in the days coming. Since its getting quite cold here in California finally I feel like eating some curry. Although I may disappear this weekend in celebration of my birthday I'll try to snap some good food as I think we might end up eating Middle Eastern food.

That's what I did with the rice, I kept tasting every time it seemed to finish absorbing a ladleful of stock. I was afraid of overcooking it so I finished up a little earlier it seems. I had tons of stock left. Now I know better and the next one should be sex in the mouth

So next week I am going to do the salted pineapple dish.

It's basically a pineapple covered in salt with some herbs and shit, and put in the oven for a while.

The salt insulates the pine apple and when it's done, it should be juicy as hell.

CTLance

hectorse said:
The salt insulates the pine apple and when it's done, it should be juicy as hell.
What. I know fish in salt crust, which is delightful, but I have never before heard of fruit in salt crust. Please post some pics and impressions when you're done. This sounds very interesting. Pineapple goes well with salty stuff, but encasing it in salt? I must know the result.

CTLance said:
What. I know fish in salt crust, which is delightful, but I have never before heard of fruit in salt crust. Please post some pics and impressions when you're done. This sounds very interesting. Pineapple goes well with salty stuff, but encasing it in salt? I must know the result.

There was a video of Ramsay doing that on youtube, but I can't seem to find it. It is on the cooking book I use, though and the pictures look amazing

The Pineapple is inserted with clove in the inside before getting salt crusted. Even more flavor.

Here is the full recipe

-1 pineapple
-about 10 cloves
-A whole bunch of salt
-Chinese spices
-2 large egg whites, lightly beaten

For mascarpone
2-3 mascarpone
shredded basil

The oven is heated 375F. Clove is inserted in the pinapple. The salt is seasoned with the chinese species and mixed with the egg whites.
The pineapple is crusted
Put salt in a pan and put the crusted pineapple over it
Bake the pinapple on the lowest oven shelf for 20 minutes
Meanwhile
mix the mascarpone with the basil
Leave the pineappled until cool enough to handle
Crack open the salt crust
Cut the pineapple in half and then quarters
Wedge the skin carefully
Serve at once with a side of mascarpone

I have one problem though. I don't know what the fuck is mascarpone and where to get it

PS Wikipedia is my friend,

Mascarpone is a triple-cream cheese made from crème fraîche, denatured with tartaric acid.[1]

So yeah, good luck trying to find it on my city =(

I am probably going to use vanilla ice cream for the side instead

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mascarpone should be available at any major supermarket, it has become a household item over the last few years.

oneHeero

parrotbeak said:
This is a Wendy's value meal version of the McGangBang. Plus some leftover romaine lettuce and chinese parsley.

Ingredients:

1 Wendy's Double Double
1 Wendy's Jr Bacon cheeseburger
1 Wendy's Crispy Chicken sandwich
1 large leaf of romaine lettuce
Handful of chinese parsley

First I combined the Double Double with the Crispy Chicken in a traditional McGangBang configuration with all buns inside the sandwich.

wendys1.jpg

That was too fat, so i took a bun out and added it to the Jr Bacon cheeseburger with a romaine lettuce leaf and some chinese parsley.

wendys3.jpg

This was ok, but the two layers of cheeseburger plus the chicken was a lot to bite thru, so i reconfigured into 2 sandwiches with fairly equal amounts of meat and veggies.

wendys4.jpg

Appreciate the recipe, gotta try this one. Tried the Mcgangbang and loved it!
Is that fresh lettuce or how old is it? Any recommendations on parsley?

oneHeero said:
Appreciate the recipe, gotta try this one. Tried the Mcgangbang and loved it!
Is that fresh lettuce or how old is it? Any recommendations on parsley?

Haha, cool. It was delicious, although it sat in my gut for a long time.

The lettuce was about 4 days old, still crunchy but on the verge of turning soft. Chinese parsley is cilantro. Regular parsley would be ok too, I guess. I would have used any fresh herbs I had, since I was just trying to use things up before they went bad. Basil goes good with burgers too.

Refrigerating fresh leafy veggies with a paper towel in the plastic bag with the bag loosely tied shut seems to help keep them fresh longer. Anyone else have tips on this?

Hectorse, that pineapple recipe sounds awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Zyzyxxz said:

3114500403_de27228914_b.jpg

Sounds like buta-kim. Nomnomnom. Looks delicious! How long does the pork belly take to cook? I might have to try this myself.

So right now I am eating some pozole my mom and I cooked on Monday.

IMG_0123.jpg

I am prepparing sticky lemon chicken with mashed potatoes for dinner. I know how to do that dish so everything should go well

Zyzyxxz

hectorse said:
So right now I am eating some pozole my mom and I cooked on Monday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/hfolkense/Cosas/IMG_0123.jpg

I am prepparing sticky lemon chicken with mashed potatoes for dinner. I know how to do that dish so everything should go well

More Mexican food! Good stuff, I'm glad I live in southern california or else I'd never have known the true joy of it.

beelzebozo said:
i'm jealous of anyone who can get their hands on pork belly. can you substitute an unsmoked bacon?

I suppose you can, essentially pork belly is just the bacon meat that is uncured and yet to be smoked. Shouldn't be too bad.

nakedsushi said:
Sounds like buta-kim. Nomnomnom. Looks delicious! How long does the pork belly take to cook? I might have to try this myself.

I was using very thin slices, like the ones they use for Korean BBQ. They were leftovers from yesterday when I was trying to make some kind of buta-ramen but they were too thing for my usual use. I think I didnt really cook em that like, since they are so thin they cooked really quickly and once they the pink went away it was good nuff for me.

I stir fried in this order onion > pork belly > bean sprout > scallions

It all cooked pretty fast.

1rsumv.jpg

cart of chicharron

zingermans deli in ann arbor, MI
730vu0.jpg

serrano/etc dry hams

2s1tyq9.jpg

other hams and meats behind that

bfg8as.jpg

"new" pickle and #67 Jon & Amy's Double Dip
Zingerman's corned beef & pastrami, Switzerland Swiss & Wisconsin muenster cheeses, hot & regular mustards on pumpernickel & rye breads.

258b4us.jpg

garlic potato salad

best deli meal i have ever had, $22 expensed for work
going back later this week to get pics of the cheese

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
coltcannon, thanks for sharing! Really nice assortment of fine stuff.

same to you, hectorse, looking forward to the sticky lemon chicken recipe and pics!

Keep them coming, please.

oneHeero

parrotbeak said:
Haha, cool. It was delicious, although it sat in my gut for a long time.

The lettuce was about 4 days old, still crunchy but on the verge of turning soft. Chinese parsley is cilantro. Regular parsley would be ok too, I guess. I would have used any fresh herbs I had, since I was just trying to use things up before they went bad. Basil goes good with burgers too.

Refrigerating fresh leafy veggies with a paper towel in the plastic bag with the bag loosely tied shut seems to help keep them fresh longer. Anyone else have tips on this?

Hectorse, that pineapple recipe sounds awesome! Let us know how it goes.
Trying this today after I get out of work. Heading to my friends and gonna grab the food. Gonna smoke and gonna make this masterpiece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom