• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
fake_mcmuffin.jpg

Homemade Egg McMuffin imitations. I didn't have any Canadian bacon, so I used ham, but they were still pretty good... partly because I fried everything (muffins included) in bacon grease, I'm sure.
chicken_broccoli.jpg

Chicken and broccoli stir-fry. Rice wine, chili garlic and soy sauce with a little corn starch for the sauce.
chicken_mushroom.jpg

Chicken and mushroom stir-fry with some fresh noodles. Oyster sauce, chili garlic, and soy sauce.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slidewinder, really nice! Our McD has McGriddles right now and the wife is heading for the parents come tuesday, I'll get every item on the breakfast menu that day!:lol :lol

Yes Boss!

Made some empanadas from Cooking Navi. I used puff pastry which was a bit lighter but they turned out great (if deformed). Next time i'm using a dough with a bit more gluten.

Recipe:

recipe-1.jpg

Ingredients:

ingredients-1.jpg

Prep:

prep-2.jpg

Meat, onions and tomatoes cooking:

meat-1.jpg

Adding the fillers (olives, raisins, milk, eggs):
fillers.jpg

Filling chilled:

mix.jpg

Pastry portioned:

dough.jpg

Finished product:

done-1.jpg

Yes Boss!

tri_willy said:
great mcmuffins slidewinder, i myself prepare similar imitations sometimes as well.
those empanadas looks great too yes boss!

I love mimicking fast food at home! I'm pretty good at making a fake Big Mac, even using a second bun heel as the middle bread. :lol

Here is a good recipe for American Burger sauce that tastes similar to the one used at In N' Out:

2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
1/2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

fully scalable and will add a nice American style flavor to your burger!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
GAF, we need to try this.

bacon-and-cheese-roll.jpg

I feel a great disturbance in the Kitchen, as if millions of arteries suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Edit: On second thought, that actually looks like a clogged artery :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
cooking schedule for the weekend: Tonight I'll prepare a cheese fondue, tomorrow will be a salad topped with mushrooms and rumpsteak.

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:
cooking schedule for the weekend: Tonight I'll prepare a cheese fondue, tomorrow will be a salad topped with mushrooms and rumpsteak.

What liquor do you use? I use Kirsch but here in the states it is far too expensive and they only sell it in a 750ml bottle. When I lived in Paris it was sold in a tiny bottle perfect for fondue.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Yes Boss! said:
What liquor do you use? I use Kirsch but here in the states it is far too expensive and they only sell it in a 750ml bottle. When I lived in Paris it was sold in a tiny bottle perfect for fondue.
I use a distill from various fruits called "Obstwasser" which is the backwardish country cousin of kirsch...

CTLance

Happy holidays!

I finally got around to performing the traditional annual pre-Christmas period father&son cookie baking ritual (TM).

Since we're both sick at the moment and I'm wounded on top of that our 11 hour marathon very nearly killed both of us. I wasn't much of a help since my right hand is currently out of order (protip: try to catch the glass before it shatters to pieces on the sink, not afterwards), I was hopped up on painkillers and I couldn't even taste much (shattered a seemingly fixed molar while eating crunchy cereal. I vow to stick to soggy from now on).

You know things are bad when Nougat doesn't melt when heated... I'm still clueless how we managed that feat. We both got burned on the container, yet the Nougat itself was just as mellow as... Nougat is at room temperatue. Quite the accomplishment, methinks. It's like burning water. Still, the cookies came out nearly perfectly. Plus, the dog survived the taste test, so I guess they're at least not lethal.

Colors are off again, using old busted camera.
xgb02d.jpg

Butter cookies, white for the pansies, and brown for me. They taste good either way, but I like them far better when they've been "a bit too long in the oven".

abgodc.jpg

These are Teescheiben, cookies to eat with tea. Plenty of Rum both in the dough and the jam. Mmmmh.

All in all we made 6 kinds of cookies, but my camera was too crappy to picture them without making them look like rubbish.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CTLance, great cookies! I prefer the butter cookies as pale as possible, aka "dough passed by the oven window for a few seconds" pale :lol

Zyzyxxz, be assured of my envy for such a fine BBQ.

Here's the fondue from yesterday.
I was experimental and used the following:
smallP1040429.jpg

150 grams of Emmental,
150 grams of Gruyere,
200 grams Austrian Mountain cheese
150 grams Irish cheddar

2 cloves garlic
1 bottle medium dry white wine
"Obstwasser" (brandy from apples and pears) and potato starch for the binding

Key to prevent the fondue from turning into a potsticker, constantly stir it in an "8" figure until serving.

Chop the garlic, put garlic and pour wine in a stoneware pot and put on stove at high heat:
smallP1040440.jpg

Chop the cheeses:
smallP1040441.jpg

At the time vapor arises from the pot, add one handful of cheese after the other while constantly stirring:
smallP1040443.jpg

smallP1040444.jpg

smallP1040447.jpg

When the melange is homogenous and bubbles nicely, mix starch with Kirsch/Obstwasser and add to the mix:
smallP1040448.jpg

Add a hint of sweet paprika for flavor and colour:
smallP1040449.jpg

texture should be like this or slightly thicker:
smallP1040450.jpg

Serve with baguette on a rechaud:
smallP1040452.jpg

Dip bread in and...
smallP1020047.jpg

smallP1020048.jpg

smallP1020049.jpg

Enjoy!

Zyzyxxz

That looks really good Onkel! Much better looking than the first and last time I tried making fondue.

What do you do with the leftover cheese though?

tsef

Zyzyxxz said:
That looks really good Onkel! Much better looking than the first and last time I tried making fondue.

What do you do with the leftover cheese though?

When there is not much cheese left in the caquelon at the end of the meal you put 1 or 2 eggs inside and stir the mixture.

Ceres

Banned
Thought I'd contribute something since I was making this for our upcoming family parties.

Christmas Eggnog

Ingredients:

12 egg yolks
5 cloves, whole
4 cups milk
4 cups cream
3 cups light rum
1+ ¾ cups sugar
2+ ½ teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¾ teaspoon nutmeg, ground

I use light cream instead of heavy cream and skim milk to cut down on calories a little.
a3huzq.jpg

sw4m5j.jpg

1. In a saucepan over low heat, blend the milk, cinnamon, cloves and half a teaspoon of the vanilla essence.

2. Keep stirring while mixture heats, and remove from heat just before boiling point.

169lw5x.jpg

3. In a bowl, mix together the sugar with all those egg yolks.

4. Make sure you whisk them well so that they're light and fluffy.

fu9iyp.jpg

5. Gently and a little at a time, pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.

35d19op.jpg

6. Transfer mixture back into your saucepan over a medium heat while continuing to stir.

7. Keep stirring until your eggnog mixture starts to resemble custard.

8. Never let the mixture to reach boiling point!!

9. Pour and strain the mixture into a jug, making sure to remove the cloves.

10. Stand jug in the fridge for an hour or two.

153a3pe.jpg

11. Gently stir in the cream, light rum, remaining vanilla and ground nutmeg.

2wchc7o.jpg

12. Put back into the fridge overnight.

13. Serve in cups with a little extra ground nutmeg, cinnamon or baking cocoa sprinkled lightly on top.

Images aren't the greatest but it tastes awesome. I usually multiply everything by 1.5 to make extra so I have some virgin eggnog for the kids and people who prefer adding other alcohols such as whiskey.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
treats.jpg

A little sample of some stuff I made for my sister for Christmas. Peanut brittle, marshmallows, and fudge. :D

For dinner, I made miso eggplant with some king trumpet mushrooms thrown in:
3127700740_fd6356f8a5_m.jpg

And inspired by Zyzyxxz, I made buta-kim (pork belly and kimchi) too. I think I went a little overboard with the kimchi and sprouts, but it was still pretty good. I think this was the first meat dish I've cooked in over 6 months ahaha.
3126872807_7886ec0b19.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you, all of you, for the wonderful contributions! I am interested in the marshmellow recipe, did you make it from scratch?

tsef said:
When there is not much cheese left in the caquelon at the end of the meal you put 1 or 2 eggs inside and stir the mixture.

This. Or let it rest overbight, add a hint of milk the next morning, spread on sandwich slices, gratin it for SWISS RAREBITS (lol):
smallP1040454.jpg

smallP1040455.jpg

smallP1040456.jpg

smallP1040457.jpg

smallP1040461.jpg

Salad w/ Roast beef from yesterday night:
smallP1040465.jpg

smallP1040466.jpg

Enjoy!

and keep sharing, it's the season to be cooking.

Zyzyxxz

Dam Onkel you making me hungry and its 2:00 AM here!!!!!!

nakedsushi said:
For dinner, I made miso eggplant with some king trumpet mushrooms thrown in:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/3127700740_fd6356f8a5_m.jpg

And inspired by Zyzyxxz, I made buta-kim (pork belly and kimchi) too. I think I went a little overboard with the kimchi and sprouts, but it was still pretty good. I think this was the first meat dish I've cooked in over 6 months ahaha.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/3126872807_7886ec0b19.jpg

I like your rendition it looks great! BTW anything with eggplant is awesome even though its nutritionally bare I love the vegetable. Imagine my surprised when I discovered babaganoush.

Anyway I was lazy and stuck with the basics. Chinese claypot rice which is much better than my past variations. My mother taught me that after the water begins to boil stir the rice around so that the ones on the bottom dont burn easily. Helped so much.

I used Chinese sausage and some home made Chinese bacon (lop yuk) that my mother made, steamed until soft and then topped with dark soy sauce.

3124166117_b96357548c.jpg

3124990984_a643d7bf2b.jpg

3124166873_b4ee21a606.jpg

3124992968_5ba6595536.jpg

3124993896_47f6e440c2.jpg

Yes Boss!

Zyzyzxxz,

That little cooking pot is hot! So wish I had gas in my apartment.

Also,

Does anybody know what I could do with a package of fresh red chilis? I bought them by accident. Is it safe to let them dry out for a month then just grind them up as chili powder? I don't want them to rot.

IMG_0128.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Blablurn said:
i'm really interested in this egg nogg stuff. we germans don't have something like that, or do we, Onkel C?
nope, but it's an acquired taste anyway. Closest relative to it would be "Eierpunsch", which is more wine-based than the milk-based Egg Nogg.

tri_willy

thats some mighty fine steak you prepared onkel :D

something i prepared over the weekend. chicken maryland roast
MarylandRoast.png

basic marinade was salt, fish sauce, onion, ginger, paprika and cayenne pepper.

the onion and ginger were basically chopped finely and crushed with a mortar and pestle, and smothered over the chicken to help give it the fragrant smell whilst adding the salt and fish sauce helps develop the flavour of the meat and the paprika and cayenne pepper for extra flavour.

MarylandRoastGarnished.png

i noticed various chinese restaurants do a shallot garnish with coriander so i had a customized go whilst cutting around the meat to make it bone free for presentation!!! hope you guys enjoy!!! :D

tri_willy said:
thats some mighty fine steak you prepared onkel :D

something i prepared over the weekend. chicken maryland roast
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/tri_willy/MarylandRoast.png

basic marinade was salt, fish sauce, onion, ginger, paprika and cayenne pepper.

the onion and ginger were basically chopped finely and crushed with a mortar and pestle, and smothered over the chicken to help give it the fragrant smell whilst adding the salt and fish sauce helps develop the flavour of the meat and the paprika and cayenne pepper for extra flavour.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/tri_willy/MarylandRoastGarnished.png

i noticed various chinese restaurants do a shallot garnish with coriander so i had a customized go whilst cutting around the meat to make it bone free for presentation!!! hope you guys enjoy!!! :D

I'd love to eat that with some white rice. Just place some of that chicken on top of a steaming bowl of steamed rice so that the juices can run down and absorb into the rice.

+1 for using fish sauce. It's easily my most used condiment.

Zyzyxxz said:
I like your rendition it looks great! BTW anything with eggplant is awesome even though its nutritionally bare I love the vegetable. Imagine my surprised when I discovered babaganoush.

Damn, eggplant is nutritionally bare? I love eggplant. I thought it'd at least have iron or something in it.

OnkelC: What exactly is Swiss Rarebit? Is it like a grilled cheese sandwich?

Yes Boss! said:
Zyzyzxxz,

That little cooking pot is hot! So wish I had gas in my apartment.

Also,

Does anybody know what I could do with a package of fresh red chilis? I bought them by accident. Is it safe to let them dry out for a month then just grind them up as chili powder? I don't want them to rot.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/IMG_0128.jpg

If you are a salsa person you could throw them in a blender (sans seeds if they're too hot) along with canned tomato, garlic, white and green onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. You can freeze it, too.

8bit

Knows the Score
nakedsushi said:
Damn, eggplant is nutritionally bare? I love eggplant. I thought it'd at least have iron or something in it.

Looks like Welsh rarebit, but with Swiss cheeses. I thought it was going to be Raclette.

64432804.VUoVDdTO._S8E5750_swiss_raclette.jpg

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:

yup gives very little in terms of vitamins and stuff but it is supposedly good and helping to control blood cholesterol levels.

So this is the Christmas eve dinner for 3 (my folks and me) entrees

Appetizer:
- Wild Mushroom Risotto made by myself and pretty much perfected and upgraded =]
- Tamarind Chile crusted Green Apples (Delicious!)

Main Entree
- Stuffed turkey
- Green salad with pomegranate
- Mashed Potatoes (mainstream)

Dessert
- Salt Crusted Baked Pineapple

What do you think?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:

"Swiss Rarebit" is an impromptu which refers to the original "Welsh Rarebits", recipe here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6387162&postcount=560

hectorse, that's an ambitious dinner, best of luck with it and keep us posted of the outcome, please.

Here's the McD "New Breakfast" Experience (12EUR as pictured):
http://www.mcdonalds.de/produkte/produktfinder.html#/fruehstueck
smallP1040469.jpg

"Breakfast Wrap":
smallP1040473.jpg

smallP1040474.jpg

The yellowish layer is a slice (?) of scrambled egg (?)

"Country McGriddle", ever since "Supersize Me!", I wanted to taste them:
smallP1040475.jpg

"McMuffin Fresh":
smallP1040477.jpg

"McMuffin Fresh Chicken":
smallP1040480.jpg

McMuffin as we know it:
smallP1040482.jpg

McMuffin Sausage Egg:
smallP1040484.jpg

Verdict:
withnail.jpg

barney_burp.gif

way more

OnkelC said:
"Breakfast Wrap":
smallP1040473.jpg

smallP1040474.jpg

The yellowish layer is a slice (?) of scrambled egg (?)

"McMuffin Fresh":
smallP1040477.jpg

Lettuce on a breakfast wrap/sandwich? What the F-Troop? And if you ate even half of those sandwich's you are quite the trenchermen.

Yes Boss!

Owed T'Alex said:
If you are a salsa person you could throw them in a blender (sans seeds if they're too hot) along with canned tomato, garlic, white and green onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. You can freeze it, too.

Thanks Owed T'Alex! I would have never thought of using canned tomatoes for a salsa. I had everything on hand and it turned out great (though I did not have green onions). Made a full quart! Here are photos. The last is of my bunny who lives in my kitchen...she got some cilantro too!

Ingredients:

ingredients.jpg

Prep:

prep.jpg

Into the blender:

blender.jpg

Finished:

finish.jpg

Bunny:

bunny.jpg

I got mascarpone from a local shop.

Tasted it

It doesn't taste like anything! WTF!

Are my tastebuds so fucked up by mexican food that I can't taste the subtleties?

I guess it will be a great combination with the baked pineapple but damn, it is bland

I needed some Christmas gifts for the neighbors and decided on homemade candy. The first time I ever tried something like it and it actually came out alright. I made chocolate chip cookies, peppermint bark, fleur de sel caramels and cinnamon peanut brittle. The fleur de sel caramels are awesome and really benefit from the salt. The peanut brittle kicks ass too, the peppermint bark is well, peppermint bark.

caramel.jpg

brittle.jpg

bark.jpg

Zyzyxxz

wow great looking candy, even though I'm not into sweets.

As for me, recently I've been on a Mediterranean food escapade and tried grape leaves (sarma) for the first time. I don't know if it was the restaurants style since it was middle eastern and not exactly greek but it wasn't really to my liking.

Zyzyxxz

Its still not Christmas on this side of the planet but thank you anyway. Hope everyone has a good holiday and lets see some good food!

Zyzyxxz

Damn I just finished eating an awesome curry I made. I recently bought a new book called Curry Cuisine
http://www.amazon.com/Curry-Cuisine-Corinne-Trang/dp/0756620783/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230162076&sr=8-4

and it had a really small Japanese curry section. It was kinda complicated as it had a recipe for making my own curry roux.

So I took the challenge of attempting to make curry without using those fattening pre-made curry roux blocks.

Carmalized onions for 30 minutes
3133563147_92e2b79822.jpg

Ingredients for roux: flour, curry powder, ginger, garlic, soy sauce/ketchup mix, and mango chutney which I couldn't find but tried it without it.
3133563951_714bb3dff3.jpg

After a bunch of different veges and some chicken stock I throw the curry roux I made into it and I get this
3133565109_420492bb45_b.jpg

Fried up some thin slices of pork loin for Katsu
3133566591_110b7a400c_b.jpg

End result is pretty damn tasty
3133567223_e8f3b9ddf9_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom