• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tf53

Yeah, meatballs are a common dish in Scandinavia. My dad just made me a batch out of some elk meat that he got. Tasty! Meatballs are actually easy to do, although the rolling the balls part takes a bit of effort. For our housewarming, I did a huge bowl of tiny meatballs as a side to the salad, but ended up eating most of them before the guests arrived. :lol

3099180351_7b82d25bf7_o.jpg

Vegetarian Katsu-don (pork, onions, and egg with sauce over rice)

I was craving katsudon so I made some without pork. For the katsu part (usually a breaded pork cutlet), I made seitan, battered it, and fried it the same way I would for pork.

Zyzyxxz

Hey naked would you happen to know how restaurants get the egg on Katsudons like this:

shinju_KatsuDon.jpg

I've been meaning to make some but I dont wanna experiment and screw lunch without at least some direction.

ChryZ

Zyzyxxz said:
Hey naked would you happen to know how restaurants get the egg on Katsudons like this:

http://www.bcrestaurants.ca/menudb/pics/shinju_KatsuDon.jpg

I've been meaning to make some but I dont wanna experiment and screw lunch without at least some direction.
I'm not naked, but make some tonkatsu, slice it in strips but keep it in tonkatsu shape, take a don-sized pan, add a bed of onion slices, place the sliced tonkatsu on it, add sauce made of mirin+dashi+soy+sugar (not too much sauce, don't completely cover the tonkatsu or it will get all soggy), add slightly beaten egg, cook to preferred doneness of the eggs ... serve on rice bowl, garnish with peas or Japanese watercress.

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
I'm not naked, but make some tonkatsu, slice it in strips but keep it in tonkatsu shape, take a don-sized pan, add a bed of onion slices, place the sliced tonkatsu on it, add sauce made of mirin+dashi+soy+sugar (not too much sauce, don't completely cover the tonkatsu or it will get all soggy), add slightly beaten egg, cook to preferred doneness of the eggs ... serve on rice bowl, garnish with peas or Japanese watercress.

Yay thank you! Now I need to readjust to my home kitchen.

Kadey said:
Eggs rolls..........

The main ingredients are rice vermicelli, carrots, chinese black mushrooms and grounded beef.

umm. my mom makes them similar except instead of ground beef she uses a mixture of shrimp and ground pork. those look delicious. i could do with some egg rolls right about now.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/3102233630_72d289fc1f_o.jpg[img]
The BF made this. Mushroom risotto with chanterells and morels, topped with sauteed broccolini and a drizzle of truffle oil on top.[/QUOTE]
Nice! do you use parmesan for the risotto or is that out of bounds?

OnkelC said:
Nice! do you use parmesan for the risotto or is that out of bounds?

I would have put a few shavings of parmesan on top (I can eat cheese, yay!) but we usually don't have any cheese around because as soon as I buy it, I eat it all up.

Yes Boss!

Made a recipe from Cooking Navi. Turned out excellent and is a nice way to eat tofu (something I rarely cook with):

Mapo Tofu:

recipe.jpg

Ingredients:

ingredients.jpg

Prep:

prep-1.jpg

Sauteing Meat:

meat.jpg

Adding Sauce and Tofu:

tofu.jpg

Finished Bowl:

bowl.jpg

Yes Boss!

nakedsushi said:
Mapo tofu looks great! What is the arrowroot powder for? To make the sauce more thick?

It called for potato starch as a thickener for the sauce. Don't have that in southern california (I think). I considered using corn starch but I've always preferred arrowroot as a thickener for its cleaner taste. I've got some guar gum also but that stuff is too strong!

Tonight, I dined on tomatobeansrice. A simple, fulfilling meal that's impossible to fuck up, however I did.

The ricemaker didn't have enough water so the rice came out tough, the canned tomatoes and beans tasted crappy, and there were bits of fresh garlic skin scattered throughout as I apparently do not understand the proper use of a garlic "crusher." I dumped enough soy and sriracha to kill a horse, but it only improved the dish slightly. To drink, I had sink water, as I had no beer to wash the bitter taste out properly.

I am very jealous of you people.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Yes Boss!, niiiice! I wanted to try out Cooking Navi the whole year, but haven't came around to doing so yet. What's the most "exotic" featured recipe in it?

theinfinityissue, sucks to hear, better luck next time.

Keep them coming, people.

Wark

Good looking food guys! Keep up with the great work. I may contribute to this thread in a couple of days.

Zyzyxxz

YAY I've have exited the university with a degree in Business Administration which in this economy might as well equal no degree at all!

Oh well I will stay optimistic and keep searching for a job. In the meantime its....

TIME TO COOK!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
YAY I've have exited the university with a degree in Business Administration which in this economy might as well equal no degree at all!

Oh well I will stay optimistic and keep searching for a job. In the meantime its....

TIME TO COOK!
congratulations! capable people always get a decent job.

looking forward to new dishes from you.

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:
Yes Boss!, niiiice! I wanted to try out Cooking Navi the whole year, but haven't came around to doing so yet.

Nothing really too out there. Kinda a big mix from a bunch of different countries. I'm speaking from a California perspective and we've pretty much got all cultures here in some form or another. Some of the Japanese squid stuff is probably the most exotic...though our local Mitsuwa market has all the ingredients so I'll probably try to make them.

Generally the recipes are easy and for the layman. Nothing like baking or pastry. Definitely give it a shot, since the interface is pretty slick. The game is pretty inexpensive (though I'm not sure the retail in Europe).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Man, reading this thread while baked...not such a good idea. I can hear my stomach growling louder and louder as the sound echoes in my head. Such a kick ass thread, regardless of the state of mind you're in.

tri_willy

Zyzyxxz said:

TIME TO COOK!

well done man, now you're in similar shoes as myself in that i'm still job hunting. on a more related note, looks like il be posting a few pics soon. pretty lazy food coming soon

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
So here's the update on that bacon from a few days ago. I was unfortunately unable to get pictures of it in the smoke box (it's about -30 outside) so here's a shot of the end product.

bac.jpg

Sweet, salty, and with a punch of smoky flavor that is oh-so-good with breakfast.

On the left is some pork sausage we made about the same time, which also spent some time in the smoke box.

On an related note, Gaf knows how to cook!

EDIT: Slab-a-dab-a-ding-dong.
bac2.jpg

coldvein

Banned
Okay, so.. First actual contribution to thread. The other day I decided to make some corned beef. Bought a slab of brisket, brined it for eight days or so. Decided I would attempt to make some beef hash. Here'z tha beef:

hash1.jpg

So far so good.

hash2.jpg

Potato!

hash3.jpg

Onions in the pan..

hash4.jpg

Onion, potato and beef in the pan.. Im not using a recipe here, just kinda flying by the seat of my pants. At this point I looked into my cast iron and thought "that is a bunch of stuff in there, i fear that the beef will not be cooked enough!" so i put a lid on the thing, which i believe was a mistake. NEXT PHOTO!

hash5.jpg

I think putting the lid on created excess moisture, making my hash all juicy and keeping it from browning around the edges as i wanted. so after taking the lid off i drained some liquid out of the thing and cranked up the heat in a panic. this burned the bottom of my hash.

hash6.jpg

Final product. Note the blackness. Fried an egg and threw it on top. Add some cholula (not pictured) and it actually tasted pretty damn good. Didnt turn out as I wanted, but it was fun. Cooking for me is generally a crazy experiment..hello world!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
coldvein said:
Okay, so.. First actual contribution to thread. The other day I decided to make some corned beef. Bought a slab of brisket, brined it for eight days or so. Decided I would attempt to make some beef hash. Here'z tha beef:

I think putting the lid on created excess moisture, making my hash all juicy and keeping it from browning around the edges as i wanted. so after taking the lid off i drained some liquid out of the thing and cranked up the heat in a panic. this burned the bottom of my hash.

Final product. Note the blackness. Fried an egg and threw it on top. Add some cholula (not pictured) and it actually tasted pretty damn good. Didnt turn out as I wanted, but it was fun. Cooking for me is generally a crazy experiment..hello world!
Hello Coldvein and welcome to the thread! Problem with your dish was that the skillet was too full, resulting in a boiling instead of the desired braising (too much excess liquids cooling down the skillet). If you try this dish again, try half the amount of ingredients for the pan of that size, use a second pan parallel, or fry it in two batches. For the following braising, you can continue in one pan/skillet.

When braising with a lid, you can reduce the heat to 2/3 of max temperature. Never drain liquids as they contain a lot of flavor! Better reduce the heat a bit further and let the excess water vaporize over time for maximum taste explosion.:D

Thanks for sharing anyway, looks like a nice dish for those cold winter nights!

Keep'em coming, folks.

tri_willy

apologies for the delay!

here's something i whipped up quick for a few mates, nothing fancy really.

HerbySpicyPatties.png

making some burger patties infused with various herbs and spices. these included: 1.5kg of minced beef, coriander (cilantro), mint, paprika, cayenne pepper, normal pepper, salt, onion, garlic, a tad amount of fish sauce, 2 eggs to help bind the mixture and a good splash of extra virgin olive oil. the rest is easy, combine all ingredients and mix in a bowl. take enough of the mince to form a patty size to your personal reference and cook on the frying pan for roughly 2-4 minutes per side.

HerbySpicyPattiesCooked.png

PlatterofFood.png

yes i spent the weekend having mates over for some food and games. food ended up being a bit too much with all the fries and gems, sausages and other snacks.

UltimateRoll.png

yes there was some emphasis on making a so called burger using the vietnamese bread roll and i went quite overboard and rather insane by adding the patties, fried onion, relish, cheese, tomato, cucumber, some fries, a sausage and a slice of pizza. for those calorie and health conscious, its not for you!!! :D cheers

Yes Boss!

Nice tri_willy! See folks gaming in the background.

You know, I was at 99 Ranch Market and I just bought a bottle of Three Crab Fish Sauce. Didn't know what I'm going to do with it but for sure I'm gonna be putting it in my next burgers!

IMG_0067.jpg

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Another minor contribution, in keeping with the theme of making things that taste better and cost less than what you buy in stores.

jerk.jpg

Beef Jerky, Alton Brown style. It's a blessing in disguise that it was so cold outside, since it helped the jerky to dry much better that previous attempts. Nice and spicy, just the ways I likes it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tri_willy, very caring of you to prep a meal like this for your guests. Invite me over the next time you throw a gig like that, OK?:lol

Yes Boss!, fish sauce goes with nearly every main course, it's surprisingly versatile. Give it a try!

Skittleguy, i am impressed. Who taught you those?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
OnkelC said:
tri_willy, very caring of you to prep a meal like this for your guests. Invite me over the next time you throw a gig like that, OK?:lol

Yes Boss!, fish sauce goes with nearly every main course, it's surprisingly versatile. Give it a try!

Skittleguy, i am impressed. Who taught you those?
Why thank you kindly Onkel!

The bacon prep comes mostly from my father who grew up on a farm in Hungary. Years of experimentation with different salt to sugar ratios have lead to a delicious end product.

The jerky came from Good Eats, with some minor modification to the recipe. We used to hot-smoke the jerky, but found that Alton Brown's method of forced dehydration works better for keeping the flavor in and extending shelf life..

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone have a really good garlic bread recipe? I always buy them at lidl but I want to try it out myself tomorrow. I just love this stuff to death.

edbrat

for browned potatoes and meat in a corned beef hash, cook them separately before combining into the final hash dish. Left over roast / baked potatoes are ideal for this. Cooking the onions, meat and potatoes from raw in the same covered pan will create a huge amount of liquid and you will braise the ingredients rather than frying them.

Easy short cut: microwave potatoes (prick them with a fork first) for 6-9 mins (depending on size), then cut them into the desired shape (little cubes, coins, whatever), fry them in hot oil on their own till nicely browned, season. Set aside.

Brown meat, set aside.

In same pan as you browned the meat (a lot of flavour in there) cook your onions, when nearly done add meat and potatoes and warm through. In the UK you'd add worcestershire sauce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce) or mushroom ketchup (http://www.bakersandlarners.co.uk/watkins-mushroom-ketchup-p-463.html) now in copious volumes :)

As you are clearly a conisseur you have garnished with a fried egg :) A side of beans, garnish of chopped spring onions, a squirt of chilli sauce, a little grated cheese melted on top might also go down well depending on your tastes.

ChryZ

Teetris said:
Anyone have a really good garlic bread recipe? I always buy them at lidl but I want to try it out myself tomorrow. I just love this stuff to death.
Deep dish, add olive oil, salt, pepper, two crushed/mashed garlic cloves. Dip the white bread slices into the seasoned garlic oil. Roast the bread with dry heat. Think BBQ, oven's broiler or just the pre-heated oven. Watch the garlic bread closely, you want golden brown since burned garlic is bitter. Enjoy.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ChryZ said:
Deep dish, add olive oil, salt, pepper, two crushed/mashed garlic cloves. Dip the white bread slices into the seasoned garlic oil. Roast the bread with dry heat. Think BBQ, oven's broiler or just the pre-heated oven. Watch the garlic bread closely, you want golden brown since burned garlic is bitter. Enjoy.
Seems easy enough. Thanks! Can I also use this as filling in baguettes or is this only for regular slices?

ChryZ

Teetris said:
Seems easy enough. Thanks! Can I also use this as filling in baguettes or is this only for regular slices?
This is really more for slices. The product of my recipe should look like this:

2662261657_1bf7bfd25b.jpg

Golden brown and crunchy.

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:

Good to know! I've had plenty of Vietnamese friends over the year so I'm familiar with the flavor but I've never cooked with it. I've heard it is sorta a flavor enhancer (like MSG!). I'm also gonna put it in beef stew to see how that works out!

And, I think it was popular with the Romans. Can't go wrong with that!

Skittleguy said:
So here's the update on that bacon from a few days ago. I was unfortunately unable to get pictures of it in the smoke box (it's about -30 outside) so here's a shot of the end product.

bac.jpg

The sausages! They look fantastic. I love a good sausage.

Teetris said:

Here's my lazy-man's garlic bread recipe: Get old crusty bread, slice it up. It has to be crusty for this to work! Peel a clove of garlic and rub it on both sides of the bread. The bread should be hard enough that it kinda scrapes the garlic. Brush with a little olive oil, stick it in the oven at 300 degrees for a few minutes till it's golden.

edbrat

- take a baguette, slice part way through so you have as many slices as you desire, rec around 1 inch per slice, like in the Lidl ones so you have a spine of a crust holding it all together

- put some butter into a mixing bowl, enough for say a heaped teaspoon for each slice

- crush some fresh garlic, one big clove or two small for a 10 inch baguette at a guess but adjust for taste, slice some fresh flat leaf parsley

- combine garlic and parsley with butter, grind of black pepper

- add butter mix to baguette, one heaped teaspoon per slice, consider adding cheese / chilli etc etc etc if you want to mix it up

- wrap baguette in foil, place in a medium to hot oven for around 10 mins, serve immediately

- remain stationary for extended period following meal :)

It's cold enough now that I can break out the hot pot for some spicy hot pot dinners. I got this strange szechuan hotpot mix for the broth and I'm kind of scared of it haha. I'm gonna be drinking lots of "cold energy" herbal tea (wong lo kat) just so I don't end up regretting having so much spicy stuff the next day. If ya know what I mean.

Pics to come!

obijkenobi said:
Ok gaf, got a hot date Friday night. Recommend me some good side dishes. Maybe something with some greens in it.

Winter is when dark leafy greens are in season, so you're in luck. You can get two bunches of kale, wash it really well (there's usually some sand on them), tear up the leaves, ditch the hard stem parts, and throw it in a huge pot with olive oil and garlic. Turn it on medium low and let that sucker cook for a really long time until it's tender. Takes about 20-30 minutes I think.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom