• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Adumaha said:
Some foods, sorry for the blurry-ass quality camera.

Udon ramen with bbq pork based on Zyzyxxz's recipe (thanks!)

Gonna try Crepes Suzette tomorrow.

How did it turn out for you I am curious to know?

Flo

nakedsushi said:
Got lazy with my irongaf posting, but here's a photodump of the past two weeks:

Beet, candied walnuts, and dried cherry tartare made by the BF. (vegan)

Scrambled duck egg, beets, and scalloped potatoes.

Pumpkin bundt cake by the bf.

Mushroom and barley soup by the bf. (vegan)
Do you have recipes for the vegan foods? :D That soup looks tasty!

I went to a vegetarian chinese restaurant yesterday and almost everything could be made vegan as well. It was amazing! They had duck and lamb and fish, all made of soy and the taste was so good! Pretty funny to eat when you haven't had those foods for years.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Zyzyxxz said:
How did it turn out for you I am curious to know?

The bbq tasted great! I find that using fattier cuts of pork work well because then I get a thicker sauce that I can use for a lot of things.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be:
chicken-run-800a.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've just stumbled upon this:

dfried.jpg

Deep fried White Castle burger. Next time I visit the States I am having five of those. Then I'll ask some mod to change my name to Fatass Papa. Holy shit.

Edit: Mirrored.

Divvy

It's crepe day today...

(warning: the following foods contain ridiculous amounts of butter)

These are based off of Alton Brown's recipes catered to my own tastes:

First off, Crepe mushroom and liverwurst layer cake

So what you'll need for the crepes is:

3 eggs,
1 1/2 cups of milk
3/4 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of flour
4 1/2 tbsp of melted butter
some diced green onions
some diced chives
1/3 tsp of salt

For the duxelles you'll need:
a good sized onion
a bunch of mushrooms
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of cheese

Combine all crepe ingredients and mix for at most 10 seconds (overmix and you'll get gluten which you don't want)
o5dhth.jpg

Stash in the fridge for an hour or so.

In the meantime, finely dice the onions and mushrooms
141jsi8.jpg

Then, heat a pan on medium heat with 2 tbsp of butter

4ht93c.jpg

Fry the onions until pale, then dump in the mushrooms and salt

Reduce the mixture until virtually all of the moisture is gone

Then add the milk and reduce again

Finally, add the cheese (I used mozzarella because it was all I had) and mix it in

2iw3r60.jpg

Add salt & pepper to taste.

After the hour has passed:

Heat a teflon pan on medium heat and rub on some butter
(My pan is a bit too big, you should use a smaller one)

Pour a 1/3 cup of the mix and swirl it around til it's circular
2nbr05j.jpg

(Sometimes it works out)
2s9cg9h.jpg

(Sometimes it doesn't, don't beat yourself up over it)

Flip it over when it starts to brown underneath and cook it for another 10-20 seconds

When it's done, stash it in the oven to keep it warm.

Repeat until you've used up the mix

2lsv4bb.jpg

Then start stacking the crepes on a baking tray, spreading the duxelles in between each crepe and sprinkle some chopped chives on top.

4ptxlf.jpg

I put some liverwurst too since It tastes great and I had some in the fridge.

akx2qg.jpg

Put some parmesean on top and then stick it in a 250 degree F oven until warm.

2eyf0ao.jpg

Then slice and serve!

Now for desert:
The crepe ingredients are:

2 Eggs
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of AP Flour
3 Tbsp of melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 tbsp sugar

For the sauce:
1 cup of your favourite fruit liquer
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
a whole lot of butter

Just like before, mix the crepe ingredients and stash in the fridge for an hour

105wpxz.jpg

Make the crepes just like before

For the sauce:

x1n0hi.jpg

I used strawberry liquer because it's so very tasty despite causing much misfortune to me in the past

n4zc6h.jpg

Heat the liquer on moderate heat then add the sugars and boil off all the alcohol
(I don't do the flambe thing because it's useless)

sndhk0.jpg

Then add a lot of butter, at least 5 tbsp of it, but the more the tastier

30mplrb.jpg

Cook it til it almost reaches a caramel consistency then reduce the heat to low

a47ins.jpg

Fold the crepes into triangles and toss em in the sauce to cover.

If you want, you can toss in fruits here too

msce4j.jpg

Finally, plate and scoop the ice cream of your choice on top and serve!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go run a few miles to work all that off...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
Great stuff Adumama, I hope to see more of your stuff!
seconded! Really creative recipe/dish, thanks for sharing. More of it, please.

Funky Papa, OMG. I fear that our weak yurop-tummys are not up to tasks like that, but then again, the Scottish folks invented the deep fried mars bar...:lol

So, let's cook.
ChickenRun4.jpg

(Dramatization of yesterdays shopping trip, not actually the wife and I)

Made chicken pies as yesterdays dinner. As the wife and I weren't able to agree on a filling, we took two approaches. Base for both was (store-bought) puff pastry, layered into a ceramic bowl, and chicken strips.

I made a light filling, similar to ragout fin. throw chicken strips with sliced mushrooms in the hot skillet, flavor with salt, white pepper, dill and a splash of Worchester sauce, prepare a roux from butter, flour and chicken broth, mix and fill the bowl with it. I covered it up with remaining puff in a flat fashion. Off to ze oven for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees celsius and the result looked like this (excess pastry on the top was necessary to cover up a hole in the top layer):

smallP1040407.jpg

smallP1040409.jpg

smallP1040412.jpg

The Wife went for a more darkish, gravy-like filling. For this, she roasted the chicken strips with Mirepoix as well as sliced onions and deglaced it with red wine. Spices used were thyme, marjorie, salt and black pepper. Instead of covering it up flat, she used a "crown"-like technique which also turned out nice:
smallP1040414.jpg

smallP1040416.jpg

"It's the Woman's touch (R)"

chicken-run-800b.jpg

Enjoy.

Random trivia: We were inspired to try this out by the movie "Chicken Run", if you haven't seen it already, do so now.

Zyzyxxz

ahhh looks good, too bad I dont have a crappy oven.

At least I got a good restaurant in town known for their chicken pot pies

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
ahhh looks good, too bad I dont have a crappy oven.

At least I got a good restaurant in town known for their chicken pot pies
thanks. my oven is amongst the crappiest round here, just give it a try.

Thanksgiving dinner pics. Not a very traditional set of dishes.

3072493496_6ccdb69f21_o.jpg

Clockwise starting from 12: roasted cauliflower, steamed egg custard, mashed kabocha, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, beet greens salad. I made a seitan stuffed with stuffing roulade to take the place of turkey.

3072493318_27ef1e3794_o.jpg

A better picture of the sides. Egg custard, sauteed chanterelles (sp?), beet greens, goat cheese for the beet salad.

3072493174_823de6a432_o.jpg

Our "appetizer course" setup complete with bowls of wintermelon soup.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Very creative approach to the thanksgiving dinner theme, nakedsushi! thanks for sharing. Please share the recipes if possible!

Zyzyxxz

not much been going on cooking wise for me.

I'm gonna be done with school soon and assuming I do not find any work in this economic period I will finally start giving time to make use of those cookbooks I always pile up in my house.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
here's the toblerone cupcakes recipe. it's a very simple vanilla cupcakes recipe with a twist. the almond and nougat in the toblerone are what makes it. you notice the taste right away.

i didn't make any icing for them (they're great without it) but if you wanted to ice them i'd recommend drizzling melted toblerone over the top or making a glaze out of it.

Ingredients:

113 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature

130 grams granulated white sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

210 grams all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

60 ml milk

half of a regular-sized Toblerone bar, crushed up into small pieces

Directions:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and lightly butter or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the crushed Toblerone and beat once more on low speed so that it is mixed in well.

Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

Makes about 12 cupcakes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks for sharing. I tried to modify a brownie recipe with roasted hazelnuts and nougat this weekend, but the results were underwhelming.:lol

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Well its finally getting cold outside, so it seems like the ideal time to make a seasonal favorite of mine.

That's right, bacon.

Start with pork bellies (about 20lb or so here)
bacon1.jpg

Rub liberally with a 3:1 ratio of brown sugar to Morton's Tender Quick salt (good for curing)
bacon2.jpg

And voila.
bacon3.jpg

In a few days it will be ready for smoking.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks for sharing and keep us posted about the progress, please!

I got an invitation to a cooking lecture tomorrow (theme: Venison), maybe I'll be able to snap a few pics.

Keep them coming, people!

Zyzyxxz

experimented with brussel sprouts recently, never ate them before but wanted to give them a try. Turned out to have an interesting taste but not really sure if I liked them or if I just cooked them badly.

3085921316_831b8bace1.jpg

Taiwanese sausages I picked up from some local place, perfectly sweet and soft
3085920308_5efe408f13.jpg

and some boxed lunch I picked up from the same Taiwanese eatery.
3085080431_2c03ba2760.jpg

aznpxdd

Haha, you got those from QQ huh? I used to eat their porkchop rice a lot and I remember they include a piece of tofu and an egg on the side.

Anyways, here's what I had for dinner.

IMG_2431.jpg

Zyzyxxz

aznpxdd said:
Haha, you got those from QQ huh? I used to eat their porkchop rice a lot and I remember they include a piece of tofu and an egg on the side.

Anyways, here's what I had for dinner.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/aznpxddd/IMG_2431.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Some of the workers moved down the street to open up Won Won Kitchen

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
great pics, both of you! Brussels sprouts are considered a torture device for children over here, they are an acquired taste. Most common, they are served boiled and topped with a hint of butter as well as a bit of nutmeg. IMHO, they are a great side dish for pork roast and go fine with every kind of dark sauce.

Here's the place we'll have the cooking lecture tonight:

http://www.quartier-xo.de/

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
great pics, both of you! Brussels sprouts are considered a torture device for children over here, they are an acquired taste. Most common, they are served boiled and topped with a hint of butter as well as a bit of nutmeg. IMHO, they are a great side dish for pork roast and go fine with every kind of dark sauce.

Here's the place we'll have the cooking lecture tonight:

http://www.quartier-xo.de/

thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try next time I buy some more.

Hope your lecture goes well.

tsef

Zyzyxxz said:

Hey Brussels Sprouts are awesome. I made some earlier this week :
3085797927_3b999e73b0.jpg

(Sorry bad cellphone pic)
I steamed them then cut them in quarters put them in a pan with onions and then put mustard and cream on top. I served them with some veal tenderloin en croute.

Maybe this is common but I don't know:

My folks were through recently and bought me a bunch of cans of tomato soup (my mum thought it would just be cheaper than buying the *awesome* premade tomato bisque they have at the grocery store)

Anyways..

I didn't have any milk in for the condensed soup stuff, and I just can't bring myself to use water anymore. So instead I cracked 2 eggs into it and stirred it up, hoping the eggs would thicken it (plus some basil), 3 minutes in the microwave.

It was 4 minutes quick and fan-friggin-tastic.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
soja1.jpg

soja2.jpg

These, my fellow cooks, are soy noodles with all the crap I could throw at them. Being the clever young lad that I am, I forgot that during the next three days most shops will be closed due our national holidays, so I found myself home alone and with an empty fridge.

Looking around, I noticed a packet of soy noodles two years past the expiration date, but since it's pasta, I said, what the hell, and proceed to boil them. While heating the water, I decided to fix them with a mix of fried onion, a carrot, half a red bell pepper, a boiled egg, and the leftovers from yesterday's roasted chicken. Once ready, I mixed everything in a big pan... only to discover that soy pasta is completely tasteless. Really, it's like eating unflavoured gelatine. Running out of ideas, I thought I could save it by dicing a Frankfurt sausage and once fried, mixing it with the rest. Still nothing. Then, I realized that somewhere I had this bottle of some middly hot Mexican sauce called La Costeña. Well, I poured a generous amount and... holy crap! All the flavours came up instantly! It's like kitchen fairy dust.

soja3.jpg

Still, being a lazy bachelor presentation is not one of my strengths, so try not to feel offended by its looks. I swear it tastes amazingly good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
There's nary no dish with glass noodles that looks halfway decent, so PROPS for the nice and quick dish!

Haven't came around to take pictures yesterday, and spontantaneous greek platter tonight, so fill in, folks!

Zyzyxxz

Funky Papa said:
Still, being a lazy bachelor presentation is not one of my strengths, so try not to feel offended by its looks. I swear it tastes amazingly good.

It looks like something I'd throw together on my lazy days and I'm sure it tasted quite all right.

Soy noodles never heard of that? I think those are glass noodles though.

Captain N

My wife likes it when I cook for her a few times a week and usually I just make something simple like quesadillas. We had some extra Sauce so I decided to make pizzadillas. Of course at the time of making them it didn't occur to me to take any photos. google search isn't giving me any pictures of what the one I make looks like. I try and post some pictures if I make any more of them this week.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Zyzyxxz said:
It looks like something I'd throw together on my lazy days and I'm sure it tasted quite all right.

Soy noodles never heard of that? I think those are glass noodles though.
Actually those were soy glass noodles (70% soy starch, 30% potato starch).

Funky Papa said:

That looks kinda like japchae, this Korean noodle dish made out of yam noodles. Looks pretty good to me!

Zyzyxxz: Brussel sprouts are DELICIUS halved, tossed with olive oil salt, some garlic, and then roasted in the oven. I'm actually making some tonight, so I might take pics of that. I love brussel sprouts!

3092197718_7601443212.jpg

I made granola this weekend for the first time and it was actually very easy and MUCH cheaper than buying the hippie dippie pre-made stuff from the market.

I didn't really follow much of a recipe, but here's what I did:

First, mix together:
2 cups of rolled oats (not the instant kind!)
1 cup combined of pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, or other nuts/seeds (adjust proportion to your liking)
1/4 cup sesame seeds (I used white, but black would work as well)

After the dry ingredients are somewhat mixed together, add in:
less than1/4 cup cooking oil (DON'T use olive oil. I used peanut oil.)
< 1/4 cup combination of maple syrup and honey. (I used just maple syrup, but realized after that I should have used a little honey so that the granola could stick together better)
1 TBS molasses (this could be left out, but I liked the smokey taste it gave off, and it's a good source of iron!)

Mix all of the above together in a big bowl, then pour it out onto a baking sheet (preferably with a lip) into a flat layer and bake for 40 mins at 300F. Stir and turn the granola every 10 minutes.

After it's all baked, add in your chopped dried fruit. I added in dried currant, but you can also put in raisins (yuck!), dried cherries, chopped up dried apricots/peaches, craisins, etc.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Funky Papa said:

One thing about food is, presentation is a plus but the most delicious stuff doesn't always look good. :D

Divvy

Wow, great stuff everyone, I gotta try my hand on those cupcakes.

Damn end of the semester time, no time to cook at all!

scottnak

nakedsushi said:
That looks kinda like japchae, this Korean noodle dish made out of yam noodles. Looks pretty good to me!

Mmm. japchae. Love it. Best thing about being half korean/japanese, get to pick and choose from two great food lineups. Yum.

Seconding the perils of the end of semester. Nothing but instant food and takeout... alas!

Funky Papa said:
I've just stumbled upon this:

dfried.jpg

Deep fried White Castle burger. Next time I visit the States I am having five of those. Then I'll ask some mod to change my name to Fatass Papa. Holy shit.

Edit: Mirrored.
They had those at the LA county fair, completely awesome.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I don't have any pictures but here is a dish that I find quite delicious when I splurge and don't watch my diet

I call it Perogie Poutine

Take your usual dose of perogies (hand-made or store bought, it doesn't matter, and I won't go into specifics about it) and bring them to a boil.

Take a frying pan and fill it with oil (butter if your lazy but it won't taste as good) and singe the perogies for firming.

Throw in onions for extra flavour if you would like, I enjoy the onions but some people don't. If you eat pork (I refrain from it) you can even include bacon, just like you would for normal perogies ;).

In the meantime, heat up some salsa in a saucepan, but do not cook it or else you will suck out all its juices.

Prepare some cheese curds, if you wan't to be cheap you CAN just strain some cottage cheese for a similar effect but it won't be as good, and if you do so make sure you strain it WELL!

Portion out your perogie mixture, place the cheese curds on it, then cover with the warmed up salsa.

Note: Unlike with piping hot gravy the cheese will have a harder time melting, to speed up the process cover your dish so that the heat stays in and it will melt the cheese faster.

Its a quick (can be done in about 15 minutes) cheap way to make perogies delicious without the standard sour-cream method everyone has used at least once :) (don't get lazy, if you try to cook the cheese it will burn and no longer have any taste worth enjoying, I got lazy once and it was a massacre of mess and disgusting flavour!)

GameCat

I've been doing lots of traditional Swedish food lately.

Tonight's dinner: Meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingon berry jam (home made):

From the girlfriend's birthday party, traditional Swedish smörgåstårta (direct translation "sandwich cake"):

And a more modern Mediterranean version with olives, Parma ham and focaccia:

Tf53

Zyzyxxz said:
aww damn now I'm craving those meat balls, mashed potatoes, and lingon berry jam + lingon berry juice from IKEA!
It's weird, really. The meatballs & cream sauce are probably the best thing you can buy at IKEA.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Eggs rolls..........

The main ingredients are rice vermicelli, carrots, chinese black mushrooms and grounded beef.

2m6tv7m.jpg

fp5lav.jpg

jb0g0w.jpg

GameCat said:
I've been doing lots of traditional Swedish food lately.

Tonight's dinner: Meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingon berry jam (home made):

Whoa, Swedes actually do eat meatballs? I thought it was a myth like how Chinese people eat sweet & sour pork in China.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Kadey, looking good!

nakedsushi said:
Whoa, Swedes actually do eat meatballs? I thought it was a myth like how Chinese people eat sweet & sour pork in China.
Köttbullar (Swedish Meatballs) are a real treat and quite widespread in Europe, thanks to IKEA. Every IKEA Restaurant has them for small change as a dish, and they also can be bought frozen there. For some people
me
it's the best/only reason to go to IKEA. :lol

All Meatballs sold at IKEA come from a factory in Sweden, which is supposed to be the largest Meatball factory worldwide btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom