• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
iv only had 2 posts on here......i should really post more here. ever time i see it on the first page i take a look at all the tasty food in here :D

everybody who posts there food here rocks. thx for this thread Onkelc

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
aznpxdd said:
How do you check the amount of posts in a thread?
click on the number of replies.

Everybody, welcome Consuelo and Mr. Lemons who will be our special guests for tonights dinner:

smallP1040499.jpg

Also, traditional new years pastry:
smallP1040501.jpg

smallP1040503.jpg

BONUS!
have some german new years eve mood with the classic "Dinner For One" (mandatory viewing in nearly every household):
http://www.archive.org/details/DinnerForOne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im gonna ask a silly question:
This is a picture of a McDonalds Chicken Roll, i want to make the roll part the thing that wraps the chicken.
p11.jpg

Once i know how to do it my life will be awesome, because i can put all crazy things on those 'wrappers' :D
Sorry for my english. :(

Fersis said:
This is a picture of a McDonalds Chicken Roll, i want to make the roll part the thing that wraps the chicken.
p11.jpg

Once i know how to do it my life will be awesome, because i can put all crazy things on those 'wrappers' :D

I think that's just a normal flatbread. Maybe even a tortilla.

Here's a recipe for Homemade Flat Bread:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kathleen-daelemans/homemade-flat-bread-recipe2/index.html

And here's one for a Simple Spanish Tortilla:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/simple-spanish-tortilla-recipe/index.html

Fersis said:

Its gotta be a flour tortilla. Home made corn tortillas are the way to go. Its so easy to make and is 200% better than anything you can buy.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Fersis said:

A simple flour tortilla recipe will work. Tons of recipes available on the net for them, or you can use a whole wheat wrap if you prefer healthier food.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
small update: Mr. Lemons went in dry, Consuelo got stitched up afterwards and got rubbed in oil and spices. She's off to the oven now along with a few potatoes, carrots, some white wine and onions.

OnkelC said:
small update: Mr. Lemons went in dry, Consuelo got stitched up afterwards and got rubbed in oil and spices. She's off to the oven now along with a few potatoes, carrots, some white wine and onions.

Disturbing, but tasty.

OnkelC said:

Sounds like quite the combo you have going on. Can't wait to see the pics of the results.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The salsa turned out a little creamy, but the avocado selection at the supermarket was terrible and I had to settle for avocados suited for Guacamole rather than salsa.

Anywho, you need the following :

(1) can black beans, drained, rinsed, and dried.
(2) average size tomatoes
(2) average size avocados
(1) small white onion
(2) cloves garlic
(1) fresh jalapeno
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of softened cream cheese
- juice from 1 lemon
- freshly chopped cilantro
- S&P

DSC01805.jpg

Pretty simple, dice up everything and mix the lemon juice with the cream cheese. If the cream cheese mixture is too thick, add a little white wine to thin it out to where you can pour it, kind of like a milkshake.

DSC018062.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

Fold everything together in a large bowl, add the black beans, and you're done.

DSC01809.jpg

It's always a little tart right after mixing it due to the lemon, but that wears off after you let it set for a few hours. Serve it up with pita chips, ice cold Dos Equis, and Mario Kart.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CHICKEN FAILED ME!
The skin was ruptured, resulting in an ordinary roast chicken, but here's a better result:

Yours Truly on Page 35 said:
HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY!

I made a lemon stuffed roast chicken for tonights dinner, it's an easy but delicate dish. Sides were potatoes, carrots and onions that were braised with chicken broth and white wine in a pan underneath the chicken.

So, let's cook.
Ingredients are:
smallP1030167.jpg

One fresh whole chicken, around 1,5 kg /3lbs (make sure the skin is intact or the recipe won't work),
one untreated, organic farmed lemon,
750 grams potatoes,
300-400 grams carrots,
1 large onion,
salt, pepper, chicken spice mix, Oil,
broth of choice (I went with chicken broth, but vegetable or beef stock is also nice),
some wine,

some yarn and a sewing needle.

Prep time was around two hours, with the roast process taking up the most time.

First, peel, cube and pre-cook the potatoes for around 10 minutes:
smallP1030168.jpg

(the pot in the back has the yarn, which I also cooked to remove eventual chemicals)

Peel and cut the carrots and the onion, then put it all in an oven-proof pan, pour the stock and wine over it:
smallP1030169.jpg

smallP1030182.jpg

Now for the chicken. The special step in this prep is the added lemon, which will act as a steam bath from the inside of the chicken.

The humidity of the lemon will evaporate and make the meat really juicy and tender while inflating and thus separating the skin from the chicken, resulting in a paper-thin and crispy crust for the dish.

Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Grab the lemon and poke about 60 holes in it (use a fork to speed things up):
smallP1030171.jpg

smallP1030172.jpg

Stuff the lemon inside the chicken, listen to some Barry White while doing so:
smallP1030174.jpg

smallP1030175.jpg

OOOOOH YEAH, BABY!:lol

Now sew the...wait, I forgot that cooking a thread results in clutter :p
smallP1030176.jpg

AFTER uncluttering the thread, sew the chicken shut. This is vital so the steam can build up inside the chicken:
Neck End:
smallP1030177.jpg

Rear End:
smallP1030178.jpg

smallP1030179.jpg

When done, remove the rump (best with scissors):
smallP1030180.jpg

and tie the chickens legs together with the rest of the thread.

Now prepare the glaze with oil and spices of choice. I used a spice mix from salt, pepper, paprika and rosemary. Glaze the whole chicken:
smallP1030183.jpg

smallP1030184.jpg

Now stick the chick and the veggies in the pre-heated oven. I went with around 175 degrees celsius in a hot air oven for about 80 minutes, keep glazing the chicken every other 15 minutes:
smallP1030186.jpg

This is the described effect of the lemon, looks awesome, doesn't it?
smallP1030187.jpg

Finish line:
you can check if the chicken is done by sticking a toothpic or needle in one of the legs: if the juice that runs out is clear, it's done. When it's done, remove it from the oven, carve it and serve with the oven veggies:
smallP1030188.jpg

smallP1030189.jpg

DONE!
smallP1030193.jpg

Enjoy.

Regarding the future of GAF cooking, some of you might have already noticed that I found a new job for 2008.

As this won't be a 9-to-5-job, I'll spend a lot of tie on the road and won't be able to cook under the week as much as I used to do. In addition, I'll have to move places, too, as the new job can't be done with a daily commute, so the first half of 2008, I won't have access to a decent kitchen at all. I will be able to share some pics of professional chefs and their kitchens, though.

Starting a new thread for 2008 by me wouldn't be that interesting, given the circumstances. So, if one of you feels up to the task, feel free to start one.

As an alternative suggestion, how about continuing with this one? It's already got a wealth of info and recipes and could become a real reference for the future.

Edit: Thanks sp0rsk for the title change! :).

Any way, thanks again to you all for making this humble effort into one of the biggest and most pleasant threads on NeoGAF so far.

Zyzyxxz

wow I'm have the second most post!

As for New Year's food I don't know whats going to happen as I just plan to do something with friends that might involve alcohol

My new year's resolution is to keep cooking and maintain my #2 status!

Number-Two-Austin-Powers.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One of the things we had on Christmas day was lobster and crab. There was other things like sushi of all kinds, exotic asian dishes and carribean stuff. I didn't get to take any pictures of the others unfortunately.

34nnmad.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Wow I just got a Honeybaked ham by mistake delivered to my house.

Apparently the lady was sure she sent it to the right address and and the company just said to keep it.

Got some champagne honey mustard, horseradish mustard, and swiss cheese along with it.

Sumidor

OnkelC said:
CHICKEN FAILED ME!
The skin was ruptured, resulting in an ordinary roast chicken, but here's a better result:

Oh man, i've been looking for this post for a while. I'm soooooo making this for dinner tomorrow night. <3 this thread.

JEKKI

on Christmas day my aunt brought these crazy candy/caramel apples

28o2om.jpg

2mcvrxj.jpg

i5zuxs.jpg

and the pretzels were good too... but the apples are like coconut and coco puffs and M&Ms and peanut butter and sprinkles.

theyre hella good and I already miss them :(

I think she got them from the Home Shopping Network or something... like she ordered hella lol

My prime rib wishes you all a Happy New Year! It was so delicious! We had it with creamy(just butter and cream) mashed potatoes and I made a mustard horseradish sauce. Now I'm going to have champagne laced with Chambord then I'm going to die from overindulgence.

ribroast.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I got a free 12 pound butterball frozen turkey.

What are some neat ways to cook it? I was thinking about grilling instead of baking. We've baked one every year for thanksgiving. booorrring.

Blablurn

Happy New Year Cooking-GAF:

Here are some pictures drom yesterdays new years party!

It started with a Meat and Cheese Fondue:

iw29es.jpg
2j68ig8.jpg

25gtbhs.jpg

It ended with a Chocolate-Fondue :-O

21zdjn.jpg
2j1ww3p.jpg

Diet-Age - Here I come!

Durandal

Banned
Ze German [NewYears] inofficial drinking contest preparation Chileh_Cheese_Freis

The perfect base for heavy drinking...

Feeds 5-8 drunkards.

You will need:

~ 2 KG minced meat (beef)
~ 2 large cans kidney beans
~ 2 large cans of diced tomatoes
~ 2 small cans sweet corn
~ 4 medium sized onions (i prefer red)
~ 3-5 cloves of garlic
~ 4-5 medium sized carrots
~ 3-4 red peppers
~ approx. 1/5 Celery
~ 1-2 tsp. diced oregano
~ 2-3 tsp. ground caraway seeds
~ 2 bay leaves (very optional, i like em alot)
~ chilli, salt, cayenne pepper, minced fresh red chillies, pepper to taste

Fries to your liking (i like to think that homemade Steakhouse style fries work best)

Cheese! (I took Red Cheddar and middle-aged Gouda)

1. Dice up the carrots, celery, peppers, onions and garlic.

IMG_0224.jpg

2. Fry up the meat in a large pot in a little olive oil on high heat until its brown.

IMG_0223.jpg

3. Reduce heat to medium and add the following in intervals of 2-5 minutes in that order: carrots>peppers+celery>onions>garlic. Stir frequently. You want to soften up the vegetables evenly.

4. Add caraway, oregano. Stir thoroughly.

5. Add canned tomatoes. Turn up the heat slightly.
6. When Chilli simmers, Add Kidney Beans (without the water in the can, no need to rinse)

IMG_0227.jpg

7. Add chilli, salt, cayenne pepper, minced fresh red chillies, pepper to taste. Dont overdo on the spice and salt though. The chilli will gain a lot of taste through the simmering process.

IMG_0232.jpg

8. Simmer for approx. 1 hour on medium heat with the lid off (to reduce the water. You can simmer it for longer than an hour if its still to watery for you or put the lid on if you think its right.). Stir approx every 6-10 minutes.

IMG_0234.jpg

9. Prepare your fries while the chilli is simmering and grate your cheese.

IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg

10. Add the corn for the last 5 minutes of the chilli simmering. (Without the water. I prefer to add the corn half an hour before the chilli is done and leave the water in one of the cans.)

IMG_0237.jpg

11. Prepare a bowl with fries.

IMG_0238.jpg

12. Top with chilli.

IMG_0240.jpg

13. Top with cheese.

14. Microwave bowl for 1 minute or put into oven on high heat to melt cheese and enjoy.

IMG_0243.jpg

15. Commence drinking!

Yesterday I made Ribollita, an Italian soup with bread and cannelloni beans. If you buy Sunset magazine, it's the soup from the cover. Very simple and delicious. As a side I made some goat cheese and tomato tarts.

riboletta.jpg

goatcheese.jpg

nakedsushi said:
Nice tarts! Did you make the pastry part yourself? They look good and flakey.

Thanks. The pastry is Pepperridge Farm puff pastry. It's a Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garten recipe and she's all for using premade puff pastry. So much easier than making it yourself. I used the leftover scraps and put some blue cheese in them and folded the ends over. Made the most amazing little blue cheese puffs.

3161975541_e8bd131116_o.jpg

I made fresh noodles from scratch on NYE. Noodles are supposed to be lucky and bring you good fortune, which is why Asians love eating it during the new year. The noodle was actually really easy to make. Just 3 cups of bread or high gluten flour, 1/2 - 1 cup of cold water, a table-spoon of salt! I wrote up a more complete recipe here:
http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2009/01/dinner-lucky-noodles/

The BF's veggie bowl:
3161975667_3f40a1e00b_o.jpg

My non-veggie bowl with naruto:
3161975825_2b4ba67c13_o.jpg

Who here eats a lot of catfish? Do you prefer the fillets or the nuggets?

I've done a personal test and I prefer the nuggets. They have more "flavor", I can't explain it. It's been explained to me catfish nuggets come from the tail section. The fillets are kinda bland. This is farm raised catfish btw. I wish I had a steady source of fresh catfish to buy.

Zyzyxxz

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Who here eats a lot of catfish? Do you prefer the fillets or the nuggets?

I've done a personal test and I prefer the nuggets. They have more "flavor", I can't explain it. It's been explained to me catfish nuggets come from the tail section. The fillets are kinda bland. This is farm raised catfish btw. I wish I had a steady source of fresh catfish to buy.

Americans have no idea of how great the "worst" parts of fish taste aka head, collars, and the tail section. Might not be true for all fish but I find the tail parts of many fish to have the most tender meat. so yeah I think its more tasty because it just is!

Blablurn said:
what are these white and pink things in the ramen ?

fish cake

Salmon and tuna collar do taste pretty damn good.

I made ghetto green curry soup last night. A can of coconut milk, a can of chicken broth, 3-4 spoonfuls of green curry paste, 2 whole fresh chilis, fish sauce, green bell pepper, diced potatoes, and catfish nuggets. Pretty good I thought.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Remember guys i asked about flour tortillas?:
foto1.jpg

foto2.jpg

It is really simple:
-Letucce
-Tomato
-Chicken (First i boiled it and then cover it with flour and then fried)
-Onion (Is called Cebolla de verdeo here, i dont know how to call it in English v_v )
-Fresh oregano
I know that is not as cool as the super yummy nom nom meals you make BUT im trying :D
And then im gonna put it some spicy Aji sauce. (And make some sweet tortillas with Dulce de Leche and 'smacked' cookies)

Nore

Banned
Last night I made a dish my usually picky wife loved.

I took 2 chicken breasts and pounded them flat with a mallet. Then I dredged them in beaten egg and then flour spiced with italian seasonings, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

In a cast iron skillet I melted 1/3 to 1/2 stick of butter with 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat.

After the butter melts add the chicken breasts. After 4-5 minutes or until the down side is golden brown, flip it. Add in about 2 cups of mushrooms (I used canned, but next time I plan on using fresh button or sliced portobello mushrooms).

Take 1 large lemon and squeeze the juices on top of the chicken and all around the pan. Take 1 cup of cooking sherry and add to the pan. Simmer until the liquids in the pan form a sauce and is reduced by 1/2 to 2/3rds.

Serve over rice or linguine.

Honestly the sauce that resulted was amazingly delicious.

edit: Next time I will take pics.

andymcc

Banned
I made tonkatsu sandwiches today. It's tonkatsu (fried pork cutlets), tonkatsu sauce, fried egg and cabbage. The picture is a little blurry...

DSC04198.jpg

Nore said:
Last night I made a dish my usually picky wife loved.

I took 2 chicken breasts and pounded them flat with a mallet. Then I dredged them in beaten egg and then flour spiced with italian seasonings, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

In a cast iron skillet I melted 1/3 to 1/2 stick of butter with 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat.

After the butter melts add the chicken breasts. After 4-5 minutes or until the down side is golden brown, flip it. Add in about 2 cups of mushrooms (I used canned, but next time I plan on using fresh button or sliced portobello mushrooms).

Take 1 large lemon and squeeze the juices on top of the chicken and all around the pan. Take 1 cup of cooking sherry and add to the pan. Simmer until the liquids in the pan form a sauce and is reduced by 1/2 to 2/3rds.

Serve over rice or linguine.

Honestly the sauce that resulted was amazingly delicious.

edit: Next time I will take pics.

This sounds suspiciously like a chicken version of veal marsala. Which I am now hungry for, because it too is delicious.

Nore

Banned
BladeWorker said:
This sounds suspiciously like a chicken version of veal marsala. Which I am now hungry for, because it too is delicious.

I think you may be right, only in this instance I used cooking sherry instead of marsala, and I'm not aware of any marsala dishes that use fresh lemon. Or do they?

Other than that, 90% of the prep work and cooking is the same as a marsala dish. Good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom