• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think you're just not used to thinking of mayonnaise as a dip instead of a condiment for a burger or sandwich. in the same way that you wouldn't put a fat glop of ketchup on a burger and would rather use a sparing, right amount, you don't put a fat glop of mayo on something and expect it to be right.

but when you switch to "dip mode," well, the sky's the limit as far as how much you want to use. and fries with mayonnaise is damn good eatin', especially if you make your own mayo, or add some lemon juice and a bit of garlic and whip up an aioli.

Captain N

I have some pre-made Pizza dough and I want to make it a cheese stuffed pizza. Would it work if I put the cheese down and fold the crust over it? That seems pretty easy..I wasn't sure if it would cook right.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Captain N said:
I have some pre-made Pizza dough and I want to make it a cheese stuffed pizza. Would it work if I put the cheese down and fold the crust over it? That seems pretty easy..I wasn't sure if it would cook right.
that would work really well, just make sure you knead the edges really tight together. This helps to keep the heat inside and makes for that real nice calzone "balloon":lol
smallP1020801.jpg

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
i think you're just not used to thinking of mayonnaise as a dip instead of a condiment for a burger or sandwich. in the same way that you wouldn't put a fat glop of ketchup on a burger and would rather use a sparing, right amount, you don't put a fat glop of mayo on something and expect it to be right.

but when you switch to "dip mode," well, the sky's the limit as far as how much you want to use. and fries with mayonnaise is damn good eatin', especially if you make your own mayo, or add some lemon juice and a bit of garlic and whip up an aioli.

garlic+mayo +1

edbrat

ah currywurst, i was introduced to that at rock am ring last summer. Loved it but I don't think I could eat it too often. Has the edge on frikandel though which I sampled at Rock Werchter nr Brussels, you want to be drunk to enjoy one of those. Excellent frites at both tho, always went big on mayo.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
beelzebozo said:

I'm Canadian and I love me some mayo and fries, just not half a cup worth.

Yes Boss!

Inspired by the ever-popular McGangBang on GAF I went and built an entirely Vegetarian version (I'm taking 2009 off from meat).

This thing was downright huge and I used two large Boca patties and two Quorn Chicken Patties. I built it exactly as I do my other Vegetarian burgers...this one was just huge!

Weight: 1lb 6oz (626 grams in Onkel measurement)
Calories: 1120
Grams of Fat: 42 grams
Cost to assemble: $5.00

Curiously, the burger would be relatively lean with just with just 17 grams of fat but the three slices of cheese added 25 grams (and a quarter of the calories).

Here is how I built it. It was excellent but after eating half I was pretty damn stuffed. Still, like a trooper I downed it all in the space of fifteen minutes:D

Ingredients:

P1000203.jpg

Prep:

P1000204.jpg

"Chicken" cooking:

P1000206.jpg

"Meat" patties in the trusty cast-iron (the beautiful cast seasoning is from years of use):

P1000207.jpg

Patties done:

P1000208.jpg

Chicken out of the oven with melted cheese (Havarti with Jalapeno):

P1000209.jpg

Meat patties with two different kinds of cheeses:

P1000211.jpg

Bun under my makeshift salamander:

P1000210.jpg

Spread of Mayo for lubrication:

P1000212.jpg

Generous splash of Jalapeno Tobasco:

P1000213.jpg

Fresh red onion X2:

P1000214.jpg

Dill, mustard, and catsup added:

P1000215.jpg

Tomato circle and lettuce:

P1000216.jpg

Quadruple stack of patties:

P1000217.jpg

Assembled Burger, on scale!:

P1000218.jpg

Split in two for difficult consumption:

P1000219.jpg

^ Bravo on the veggie McGangBang. I think to even get close to the cholesterol of a real McGangBang, you should put in a fried egg or two.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Got some big ass steaks and rice with beans to cook for my parents and Sister. Made some Steak Tacos with the rice as a side.

Two Top Sirloin steaks. The pulp that you see on the steak is actually Kiwi pulp... I had rubbed kiwi on the steak since the enzymes in the kiwi break down the protein, so its a natural tenderizer. When you rub the Kiwi on, the tendering process only takes 30 minutes (longer depending on the cut). I just used Goya Adobo as the dry spice.

Steak_Tacos01.jpg

Broiling the Steak

Steak_Tacos02.jpg

Rice and Beans are done

Steak_Tacos04.jpg

Steak is done and resting. Came out perfect, this is the first time I've broiled Steak and its definitely the best way to do it if you can't grill it.

Steak_Tacos03.jpg

I made some carnitas the classical way:
lard.jpg

stewed and then browned in good old-fashioned lard.
oranges.jpg

Chunks of pork shoulder and orange slices in melted lard. In addition to adding a little flavor, the oranges are supposed to keep the lard from getting too hot at first by gradually releasing liquid. I didn't need them as I put the pot into a 225 degree oven for a few hours, until the pork was fork tender. After that, I brought it back up on top of the stove and onto medium-high heat until the pork was nice and brown.
carnitas.jpg

The finished carnitas, outside and in.
carnitas_tacos.jpg

It shredded up nicely into tacos (you better believe there's lard in those tortillas!) with some fresh pico de gallo and good beer to drink.

Yes Boss!

slidewinder said:
carnitas_tacos.jpg

It shredded up nicely into tacos (you better believe there's lard in those tortillas!) with some fresh pico de gallo and good beer to drink.

Nice! I don't have the balls to make them up properly with lard...I usually boil the pork with all the citrus then render down the left over melted lard, then mix the lard and meat in a bowl and blast it in the broiler...leaner but still has the taste.

Great call on the Old Guardian...must go great with Carnitas!

So I've been picking a dish every once in a while that I don't know how to make and learning how to make it, and recently it's been risotto. Specifically, in this case, porcini mushroom risotto. Behold, the results:

Gently sauteed some onion, shallots, and garlic. Grabbed the most critical ingredient, the rice. Arborio of course.
3374050015_98f03a9a43.jpg

Added it to the onion and etc to coat the rice for a minute or so.
3374050087_2c261086a1.jpg

Next step, put in some white cooking wine. Yeah it's nothing spiffy, but it's all I had today when I was making this.
3374050165_b7732484d0.jpg

After the white wine was absorbed, began the lengthy process of adding the broth, a ladel or two at a time. I used a vegetable broth from Knorr. While all of this has been going on I'd been steeping some dried porcini mushrooms in a bowl, and transferred some of that liquid to the vegetable broth for a bit more mushroomy kick.
3374867190_7f96a70f4b.jpg

About 20 minutes later, I add the final bit of broth and the mushrooms. Shortly after that's just about absorbed enough I add in some butter and parmesan (freshly grated of course).
3374050251_45c04571f9.jpg

Voila, the result!
3374050301_9ddcfe3057_o.jpg

I'm sure I could up the ante on this dish with more uppity ingredients (homemade stock, fresh mushrooms, better white wine) but the results even with this came out fucking amazing. Risotto really does take a while to prepare, and you have to babysit it constantly while the broth's being added and absorbed.

This was my second time doing it, and knowing when to finish the risotto off is a large part of the art here. The first time I let too much liquid cook off and the risotto was "stiff". It's meant to not to be runny with liquid, but to flatten out in the plate with a smooth consistency that's not runny. I nailed it this time around I think.

This is also one of those dishes you definitely have to taste as you go, adjusting any added seasoning along the way. You can't really "fix" a risotto if you fuck it up and don't realize it until it's done. Half of that I found is finding the right stock, one that's not salty to begin with so you can control that yourself.

A really fun dish to make, will probably try a different type of risotto some time.

way more

Winterblink said:
3374050165_b7732484d0.jpg

After the white wine was absorbed, began the lengthy process of adding the broth, a ladel or two at a time. I used a vegetable broth from Knorr. While all of this has been going

A really fun dish to make, will probably try a different type of risotto some time.

I love making risotto. It takes me so long to get the ingredients together and decide what to make but you can make such amazing tasting food from such simple ingredients. It's like the stir-fry of the Mediterranean.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Risotto looks good. I often add garlic and chilli to taste with the onions for a bit of extra kick.

I like to make a chicken, mushroom, asparagus risotto.

Or prawn and pea.

Both taste fantastic and guests are often well impressed as they look great with the vivid greens contrasting the white rice (and pink prawn/shrimp).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Very nice, Winter. I had a similar risotto with wild mushrooms, a veal demi-glace and roasted asparagus at a restaurant not too long ago, and it was dizzyingly delicious. I couldn't even eat half of it because of how rich it was.

Cosmic Bus said:
Very nice, Winter. I had a similar risotto with wild mushrooms, a veal demi-glace and roasted asparagus at a restaurant not too long ago, and it was dizzyingly delicious. I couldn't even eat half of it because of how rich it was.
Thanks! Yeah tell me about it, that plate was only half of what was made. I know it's not considered proper to eat risotto after it's absolutely fresh, but there's no way I'm trashing half of it. :) Definitely not an overly healthy dish, but I use low-sodium vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, which I find can be too salty if bought. I'd use margarine instead of butter but for a dish like this I think butter gives it the consistency it requires.

Butter is better for you anyway. As for leftovers, refrigerate it, form it into balls, cover it in breadcrumbs and fry the shit outta that arborio. Soooo goood.

Blablurn

i tried one of these mc gang bangs :lol there was a GAF thread where people showed thei creations

plklt.jpg

this is the result of 2 cheeseburgers and one chickenburger.

I dunno if this is a valid cookoff thread, but I just wanted to share my newest favorite cocktail:

3377586393_42965a38de_o.jpg

Rye whiskey + a dash of blood orange bitter + a dash of simple syrup (to taste -- not shown) = Old Fashioned

It's ridiculously good over ice. I can nurse one all night.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Blablurn, how did you like it? I was not especially impressed by the BK variant.

nakedsushi said:
I dunno if this is a valid cookoff thread, but I just wanted to share my newest favorite cocktail:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/3377586393_42965a38de_o.jpg[img]
Rye whiskey + a dash of blood orange bitter + a dash of simple syrup (to taste -- not shown) = Old Fashioned

It's ridiculously good over ice. I can nurse one all night.[/QUOTE]

thanks for sharing, Cocktails are a nice addition.

ronito

No pics, but I wanted to share:

Easy Orange Chocolate Fondue
7 Ounces Dark Chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon orange zest
2-3 tablespoons Orange Liquer

Melt it all together. that's all. But it's fanfreakingtastic.

^ that looks good and healthy. Add a piece of toast to that and you get a pretty complete breakfast.

BTW, what's onion salt? Is it salt flavored like onion?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
^ that looks good and healthy. Add a piece of toast to that and you get a pretty complete breakfast.

Breakfast looks nice indeed, Jirotrom, thanks for sharing!

Onion salt is made from freeze-dried ground onion powder which is mixed in a 1/5 to 1/3 ratio with salt. Goes great with fish, soups and panfries.

Jirotrom

nakedsushi said:

Ive got to be careful with my carbs right now... reason there isnt any toast. I mainly use onion salt as a way to trick me into not adding too much sodium to my diet. I'll be posting various meals here and there hopefully.:D

curry tofu salad
15xmpl1.jpg

+ leftover kushari, need to make more sauce
23jfhvp.jpg

edit. re: old fashioned, get yourself some brandy and make the Wisconsin favorite

Jirotrom said:
Ive got to be careful with my carbs right now... reason there isnt any toast. I mainly use onion salt as a way to trick me into not adding too much sodium to my diet. I'll be posting various meals here and there hopefully.:D

Aw, a piece of whole-wheat or multi-grain toast won't hurt anyone.

If you're really worried about salt, you can try gomasio/gomashio, which is ground up sesame seed with salt. Kinda the same idea as onion salt I guess. A lot of macrobiotic restaurants use it here in lieu of table salt.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomashio

coltcannon: What's the Wisconson favorite?

nakedsushi said:
coltcannon: What's the Wisconson favorite?

brandy old fashioned, wisconsin supper club style (from wisconsinology)

"Start with an 8 -10 oz Old Fashioned glass (a rocks glass)

Add 1 sugar cube and soak it in angostura bitters - saturate the cube - no more,no less.

a splash of soda. Sweet = 7-up Sour = Grapefruit soda or Grafs 50/50

Muddle the sugar/bitters/soda mixture until frothy. Please use a muddler. This is so important.

wait 15 seconds. The frothy mixture needs air time.

Add 2 -3oz of good brandy. I prefer Korbel. One quick stir(optional).

fill glass with ice and top off with earlier choice of soda (sweet or sour)

Garnish with cherries, orange, lemon, or broccoli"

I prefer Christian Bros. brandy. My grandparents garnish sours with an olive and cherry. This was a drink I knew what it was, production and taste, well before I even started drinking underage.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BlueTsunami said:
Got some big ass steaks and rice with beans to cook for my parents and Sister. Made some Steak Tacos with the rice as a side.

Two Top Sirloin steaks.
Steak_Tacos01.jpg
I believe what you have there is a top round steak. The grain looks nothing like a top sirlion. Either way, you can make something out of it for sure.

coltcannon said:
Garnish with cherries, orange, lemon, or broccoli

That sounded good until I got to the broccoli. I've never seen a cocktail garnished with broccoli. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but that doesn't seem like something that would float my boat at all.

nakedsushi said:
That sounded good until I got to the broccoli. I've never seen a cocktail garnished with broccoli. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but that doesn't seem like something that would float my boat at all.

I would never do it either. It must come from garnishing the sours with a vegetable for some reason, broccoli must be their local.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
coltcannon said:
I would never do it either. It must come from garnishing the sours with a vegetable for some reason, broccoli must be their local.
veggies, especially broccoli, as a garnish for a drink just sounds like a hoax. the only "veggie" worthy to go with a drink is an olive IMHO. but props for trying it!:lol

OnkelC said:
veggies, especially broccoli, as a garnish for a drink just sounds like a hoax. the only "veggie" worthy to go with a drink is an olive IMHO. but props for trying it!:lol

md_onions.jpg

Ive had a good martini with spicy pickled asparagus. Its not a hoax or you obviously havent heard of a bloody mary. :p

UrokeJoe

This honestly has to be one of my favorite threads on the internet!

I can't wait to include something I've done just so I can be a part of it. Keep it coming people!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I decided to make something out of the few things I had lying around instead of eating my jerky.

2 eggs
1/2 tomato
small pieces of chicken
1/4 onion (sauteed)

Turned out good, added salsa and some tobasco for kick.

Still on lowcarb, anyone have any good simple recipes or sites for low-carb stuff?

2s8sbx2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom