• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefklak

Great, I made jarrod's curry recipe from my bouillon soup leftovers, thanks for the recipe man :D

k4b6fr.jpg

I didn't have a pumpkin or anything, so used plenty of soja.

wwjclh.jpg

Served with thai rice, to keep in theme.
Did not taste any difference between adding and not adding the sugar, does it make a big difference?

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder said:
Make some adobo. Get a package of bone-in chicken thighs and arrange them in a single layer in the bottom of a pot. Mix up enough soy sauce and vinegar in a 1:1 ratio to cover the thighs (say a good cup of each; you can add some water to bring the level up if need be). Add crushed garlic, black pepper, and bay leaves, and let the thighs marinate in the fridge for at least a couple hours, but up to 24 or more.

To cook, bring to a boil on a stovetop, and then simmer for about 20 minutes. Now remove the thighs (which should be cooked through) and increase the heat so the adobo mixture is boiling fairly rapidly. You want to reduce the mixture until it takes on a nice, thick, syrupy consistency. When it's about there, brown the skin of the chicken thighs, whether under a broiler, on a grill, or in a frying pan (I usually use the broiler). Remove the bay leaves from your adobo sauce, and serve the sauce spooned over the chicken and some rice.

This could be made with breasts if you wanted, but it wouldn't be as good.

I've been wanting to cook some adobo stuff for a while now, thanks for recipe.

Thai

Bane was better.
Alright, here are some of my recent food pictures (as has been mentioned often here, I wish I were as good at food presentation and picture taking as some of you folks).

Com Tam
DSC011252.JPG

8 Treasure Soup
DSC01134-2.JPG

Mapo Tofu
DSC01140.JPG

Char Siu
DSC01145.JPG

and today...
that same Char Siu in some egg noodles
DSC01148.JPG

Tips on how to dress the plates/bowls would be very appreciated!

Zyzyxxz

Thai said:
Alright, here are some of my recent food pictures (as has been mentioned often here, I wish I were as good at food presentation and picture taking as some of you folks).

Com Tam
DSC011252.JPG

is that baked egg! I love that stuff! Do you havea recipe? I've been dying to make some ever since I went to the best Vietnamese place in town and had it there.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
santouras and abstract alien, NICE!

Thai said:

(...)

Tips on how to dress the plates/bowls would be very appreciated!
Thanks for sharing and congratulations on those fine dishes.
No big secret do dressing the bowls and dishes, too much decoration is considered poor cookmansship. As a pro tip, spare a small amount of the fruits, vegetables and herbs used to prepare the dish and decorate the plate/dish with them.

Zyzyxxz

abstract alien said:
Thanks!

LMAO :lol
Wait...thats my dinning room :^/

its that table with the clear glass, it makes me think of a prison bunk without the mattress on top. Combined with the greyish colorscheme in your pics

:lol

Jirotrom

OnkelC said:
make a spice mix from salt, pepper, majoram, rosemary, thyme, garlic and paprika, grind it fine, mix it with a bit of oil and marinate the chicken breasts in it for two hours or so. slap them on a charcoal grill and enjoy in a bread roll or with fries! simple and delicious.
smallP1040099.jpg
looks so good:D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
steak sandwich on mini-baguette with caramelized onions, creole mustard, and blue cheese. sweet potato fries on the side with homemade ketchup

20914lt.jpg

Thriller

beelzebozo said:
steak sandwich on mini-baguette with caramelized onions, creole mustard, and blue cheese. sweet potato fries on the side with homemade ketchup

20914lt.jpg

omfg, please post the recipe!!

CTLance

I tried to cook some adobo chicken yesterday. No pics, but suffice it to say that it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe, slidewinder. :)

tri_willy

LRB1983: that flambe banana with ice cream is niceeeee...
beelzebozo: mouth watering steak sandwich there
santouras: thats a healthy and tasty salad. prosciutto in salad anytime ftw

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the sweet potato fries were the real star of the show, to be honest.

i'm a sucker for a good side dish, and any chance i get to eat things with homemade ketchup now, i take it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cornballer said:
That looks awesome, beelze. How long does the homemade ketchup hold up in the fridge?

a pretty good long while, as it's got a good deal of vinegar in it, which prevents bacteria from growing. or rather, any bacteria that may have developed in the weeks since i made it is imperceptible, and i'm not dead yet, so homemade ketchup for everyone!

here's the recipe i used for the ketchup

Cool, I might give that a try sometime soon. There was a Saveur recipe for ketchup recently, too, but I didn't make it because they labeled the fridge life at 3 weeks.

I have a bunch of food pictures on my camera right now, so I'll try to upload/post those tomorrow.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
a pretty good long while, as it's got a good deal of vinegar in it, which prevents bacteria from growing. or rather, any bacteria that may have developed in the weeks since i made it is imperceptible, and i'm not dead yet, so homemade ketchup for everyone!

here's the recipe i used for the ketchup

hmm I gotta get around to trying this, I love ketchup but I'm trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup as much as possible.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the saveur recipe was what inspired me to finally make the ketchup, c.b. they're fairly similar as far as the recipe goes, from what i can tell. i actually got some specialty bottles from a specialty bottle store online called specialtybottle.com (imagine that), sterilized them, and capped them off, so they seem to be holding up fairly well. maybe the saveur recipe is just using a glass jar that hasn't gone through the rigorous sterilization process? i donnu. all i know is that my ketchup still tastes awesome and like i said, i ain't sick yet!

and yeah, zyzyxx, you need to try this ketchup recipe. it's about fifty times better than regular ketchup, and a lot of it, i think, is because it uses natural sugars which give it this really excellent deep, brown, caramel flavor. not too much, but just right.

here's the ketchup, in its bottle on the left (one on the right is marinara)

2myurkj.jpg

3427224623_d45475fa4b.jpg

salad with chickpeas, smoked salmon, poached eggs

3427224541_8459e688d4.jpg

steak, sauteed mushrooms w/ shallots/bacon/white wine, oven potatoes, broccoli w/ some aoili

3428034636_2c3c60e01f.jpg

fresh noodles with a smoked salmon/white onion/peas/capers/cream sauce

3428034568_f3701cd090.jpg

chickpeas, poached eggs, tuna, capers, with some hot sauce over bread

The last one is one of my favorites. Quick, healthy, and delicious. Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
1 slice country bread
2 T harissa
2t ground cumin
1 6.7 oz oil packed tuna
1/4 c. rinsed capers, chopped
2 large poached eggs
2 T EVOO
pepper

simmer chickpeas in stock until warm. rip bread into chunks and place in bottom of bowls. cover with chickpeas and stock. dollop harissa and top with cumin. place tuna in a ring around the harissa. sprinkle capers on tuna. place egg on harissa and drizzle with olive oil.
I usually skip the harissa (unless I happen to have some around) and just use Uncle Frank's hot sauce

Thai

Bane was better.
Zyzyxxz said:
is that baked egg! I love that stuff! Do you havea recipe? I've been dying to make some ever since I went to the best Vietnamese place in town and had it there.

Baked egg, yes! I love that stuff. It's pretty easy to make and I just use what my mom taught me to. I throw in ingredients without measuring though....

So stuff that goes in there:
Ground meat (pork or poultry...beef tastes weird in this)
1 minced onion
black fungus (key, imo)
vermicelli
eggs
salt
black pepper
sesame oil

optionally:
shrimp
and/or
crab meat

bake it at 350 for 40 minutes and let it sit for 15.

Thai

Bane was better.
beelzebozo said:
the sweet potato fries were the real star of the show, to be honest.

i'm a sucker for a good side dish, and any chance i get to eat things with homemade ketchup now, i take it.

the sweet potatoes look increidble, what did you do to them?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that is the most appetizing salad i've seen in ages, cornballer. very creative.

Thai said:
the sweet potatoes look increidble, what did you do to them?

par baked the whole sweet potatoes in the oven for ~45 minutes at 350, until they just yielded and felt slightly soft but not mushy. let them cool. cut them into fries, dusted them with corn starch, then fried until crispy and brown. add kosher salt, and voila. perfect sweet potatoes fries.

beelzebozo said:
that is the most appetizing salad i've seen in ages, cornballer. very creative.
Thanks! It was really tasty. Constructed out of leftovers: smoked salmon, chickpeas, etc... My photos are in reverse chronological order.

Zyzyxxz

Thai said:
Baked egg, yes! I love that stuff. It's pretty easy to make and I just use what my mom taught me to. I throw in ingredients without measuring though....

So stuff that goes in there:
Ground meat (pork or poultry...beef tastes weird in this)
1 minced onion
black fungus (key, imo)
vermicelli
eggs
salt
black pepper
sesame oil

optionally:
shrimp
and/or
crab meat

bake it at 350 for 40 minutes and let it sit for 15.

thanks, I'll try it out, did you layer them in any special way?

Cornballer said:
Thanks! It was really tasty. Constructed out of leftovers: smoked salmon, chickpeas, etc... My photos are in reverse chronological order.

dam nice pics, everything looks so good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
GOOD FRIDAY, EVERYBODY!

I haven't shared much recently, because the new job keeps me busy under the week and on the weekends, the wife has top priority. But I wanted to try out the following dish for a long time and wanted to share the experience with you all.

As it is a good (catholic) tradition to have fish on good friday, i treid my hands on "Backfisch" aka Fish and Chips:

P1040641Medium.jpg

A good amount of cod, as well as a beer batter made from

120 grams flour,
80 grams potato starch,
2 large eggs,
5 tablespoons milk,
one tablespoon oil,
half a small bottle of beer, and
a teaspoon of salt.
Just mix it all together and let the batter rest for 30 minutes.

To the left of the pic is a deep fryer, set to 180 degrees celsius and filled with sunflower oil.

I worked the cod with tweezers to remove all fishbones, then salted and peppered it a bit:
P1040640Medium.jpg

dip in batter, off to the oil:
P1040642Medium.jpg

test:
P1040644Medium.jpg

Delish:
P1040645Medium.jpg

Serve with steakhouse fries, salt and malt vinegar. As a holiday bonus, some remoulade as well.

P1040646Medium.jpg

Enjoy!

MNC

OnkelC said:
make a spice mix from salt, pepper, majoram, rosemary, thyme, garlic and paprika, grind it fine, mix it with a bit of oil and marinate the chicken breasts in it for two hours or so. slap them on a charcoal grill and enjoy in a bread roll or with fries! simple and delicious.
smallP1040099.jpg
This just made me hungry. Brb.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks! PRO Tip after deep frying fish: put a large pot with water on the stove, add a tablespoon of ground cinnamon to it and let it boil for 30 minutes. All fish stink as well as other unpleasant odors should be gone then.

Burger BBQ tonight, stay tuned...

jarosh

nothing wrong with thomy mustard. there's so many different and unique mustards. obviously some of them are cheaper and some of them are more expensive and sophisticated. there's a time and place for every single one of them.

Zyzyxxz

BBQ time tonight!

I'm haven't finalized the menu and hopefully I can snap a few pics.

So far I got planned:

Yakitori (bits of chicken and green onions on skewers)

marinated Chicken thighs

Some kind of sausage

and either spare ribs or baby back ribs.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zyzyxxz said:
BBQ time tonight!

I'm haven't finalized the menu and hopefully I can snap a few pics.

So far I got planned:

Yakitori (bits of chicken and green onions on skewers)

marinated Chicken thighs

Some kind of sausage

and either spare ribs or baby back ribs.

though they require a bit more trimming on the cook's part, i find that spare ribs are well worth the effort, and typically much cheaper and meatier than baby backs. in a pinch, when i don't have time to do my own prep, baby backs are fine; but if i've got some spare time to make sure they're trimmed properly, spare ribs all the way.

and it sounds like you're having quite a meatfest, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom