• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hazaro said:
Still on lowcarb, anyone have any good simple recipes or sites for low-carb stuff?
2s8sbx2.jpg

Looks good! It's almost like this egg & tomato dish that Chinese people like making and eat over rice. But I guess no rice for you.

I'm not too familiar with the low carb thing. Can you not have simple carbs, or no carbs at all? There's this weird yam-product thing called konyakku that they make noodles out of. I think it's like 0 carbs and 0 calories. All it really does is fill space in your stomach to make you feel food. You might want to try that out. It has no taste so you'll have to cook it with other stuff to give it flavor.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
What is wrong with people and their beautiful photos?
I.e. I suck at photos :(

Anyway, long absence from the thread so here is a steak I made saturday. Dry aged beef, fried potatoes with oyster mushrooms and red onion, and creme fraiche with garlic and Roquefort-cheese.

maaaat004.jpg
¨

maaaat010.jpg

maaaat016.jpg

Bonus picture, old ass champagne with an amazing taste of toast and fois gras!

vininfero018.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
wonderful stuff, people!

When I came home from job on saturday, the wife made me a bunch of carrot/hazelnut cupcakes:
P1040628Medium.jpg

next to them are Quark balls and a Kinder Easter Bunny. I love the wife.

mYm|17|

anybody got some good Philly Cheesesteak recipes?

I already looked one up on the internet, but wanted to see how gaf makes Philly Cheese

Need to start shooting at higher angles on my pictures. Maybe I should stack cookbooks under my tripod. Some recent food...

3397943828_9f2f1e4846.jpg

Some fried artichokes. Cooked them up with shallots, capers, vermouth, lemon juice, and some salt&pepper. Pretty tasty.

3397132311_2533529b85.jpg

Japanese Curry from the Saveur recipe. Excellent dish - easy to prepare, tastes great, and freezes/reheats easily. Highly recommended.

3397943974_01d1b12c64.jpg

BBQ Chicken Pizza before cooking. Had some leftover chicken breasts, added a bunch of bbq sauce, cooked shallots, and some fresh mozzerella. Dough was from Whole Foods - it's typically pretty good, but I'd like to try making my own sometime.

3397944194_23e579e04f.jpg

Cooked BBQ Chicken Pizza.

3397944054_8178682dc2.jpg

Pizza Margarita with sauce, basil, and fresh mozzerella

3397132899_7eae10f024.jpg

Cooked Pizza Margarita. Someone who will remain nameless loaded up too much mozzerella, so it was a little bit wet. I'll probably try to drain the cheese a little better or not add as much next time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nakedsushi said:
Looks good! It's almost like this egg & tomato dish that Chinese people like making and eat over rice. But I guess no rice for you.

I'm not too familiar with the low carb thing. Can you not have simple carbs, or no carbs at all? There's this weird yam-product thing called konyakku that they make noodles out of. I think it's like 0 carbs and 0 calories. All it really does is fill space in your stomach to make you feel food. You might want to try that out. It has no taste so you'll have to cook it with other stuff to give it flavor.
I had eggs and tomato for breakfast since that's pretty much all we had :lol (Mom made it asian style)

No carbs for diet. (Just some from veggies)

I would of taken a better picture, but batteries are dead and I've used them like 10 times to take a picture and then have it shut off :lol
I feel bad since everyone else is taking nice photos.

Shawsie64

Banned
Oh man i love and hate this thread at the same time. So many beautiful dishes but always makes me hungry at work :lol

Keep up the good work everyone! Maybe one day ill feel confident enough to post some pics

Zyzyxxz

man I've been avoiding the kitchen for a while, havent posted in weeks.

anyway Nakedsushi's post made me wiki up "seitan"

I found a pic of this, it looks so real!
715px-Wheat_gluten_(vegetarian_mock_duck)_2007.jpg

Zyzyxxz

this pic isn't very flattering, I blame my poor lighting condition

peas and chicken cooked in butter, garlic, and pearl onions.
3403746080_f1b72a7bd8.jpg

quick snack after work, since I had some leftover peas and breaded pork tenderloin chops from a few weeks back.
3403747726_6376668e86.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrystalGemini said:
I made dolmathes with rice, beef, onion, tomato and parsley filling. Sour cream, dill and mint sauce for dipping. I am cameraless atm though. :(
shame, i would have loved to see that...

Keep it coming, people!

LRB1983

Banned
:-D I hope you like, some of traditional spanish food. (the first 2 pics are from this xmas)

10p4jgn.jpg

2dj89at.jpg

23vfhow.jpg

oflux.jpg

2hds07m.jpg

jpzxg8.jpg

28slgjt.jpg

htu15t.jpg

And the last one shooted this sunday the well-known paella ^^
2lvh5at.jpg

LRB1983

Banned
Cornballer said:
Wow, those look fantastic. What's the first dish?
It's called "Sopa de galets amb carn d'olla", may be Escudella in english, according with wikipedia.
It's just a soup with pasta (Galets), the big ones XD, with a kind of sausage (pork's ground meat).

LRB1983 said:
:-D I hope you like, some of traditional spanish food. (the first 2 pics are from this xmas)

ooooo.. are those baby eels?

I have a tin of them in my pantry and haven't decided what to do with them.
How did you prepare them?

LRB1983

Banned
captscience said:
ooooo.. are those baby eels?

I have a tin of them in my pantry and haven't decided what to do with them.
How did you prepare them?
Yes! they're, and it's one of my favorite dishes XD.
You will need:
Baby eels
Olive oil
1 clove of garlic (for one person)
1 little chilli or cayenne pepper

- Put one Beanpot (like photo) on the high fire with olive oil and the garlic clove.
When garlic starts to brown add the baby eels and chilli while you reduce the fire at least for 30~45 seconds.
And enjoy.

Saya

Ok, so right now I'm living in an apartment without proper cooking equipment. But we bought a single electric stove, so we can at least make some food ourselves because eating out everyday gets tiring after a while. But because we only have 1 stove we are very limited with cooking options.

So, cooking tips or recipe recommendations for a single electric stove are very welcome! :lol

So far, I've made a couple steaks, chicken drumsticks (We call them drumsticks in Holland, not sure about the proper english name...chicken legs?) and shrimps. Simple dishes but it tastes great. Here are some pics:

28872oh.jpg

ae2j5c.jpg

2570ubt.jpg

2ms52yv.jpg

25f4qvm.jpg

10hsyrs.jpg

Saya said:
So far, I've made a couple steaks, chicken drumsticks (We call them drumsticks in Holland, not sure about the proper english name...chicken legs?) and shrimps. Simple dishes but it tastes great. Here are some pics:
10hsyrs.jpg

That's pretty decent for only having an electric stove! Some one-pot meals I can think of:

hotpot/shabu shabu
claypot rice (donabe)
pasta
grilled cheese sandwich!
frittata
stir fries (if you also have a separate rice cooker)

Jefklak

First submission, lovely thread, keep on goin'!
Thanks for creating this hype OnkelC!

Last weekend, I (tried to) made some spicy baked rice ala nazi goreng with even more spicy shrimps.

Needed for sause:

ebdf74.jpg

The result (rest: paprika powder on stir fried shrimps, asian veggie mix, basmati rice):

119qt21.jpg

The red pepper was way too hot :D Still great though.

Also made a delicious cinnamon/apple cake yesterday:

2dh5g95.jpg

Crappy pic (gsm), looks and definatly tastes better in reality.
Edit:there, better pic added

funk0ar

I knew entering this thread would be hell after having 4 wisdom teeth out a few days ago.

Damn you all to hell with your food, and your "teeth" :(

I have been restricted to soup and jelly.

Seriously though, nice food. pizza looks great, goddam I want some pizza-

JEKKI

I aint taking the best pics... but I do what I can lol.

25875ht.jpg

27x01f6.jpg

2qb7gvd.jpg

nn4l09.jpg

2dmffps.jpg

wamtdw.jpg

the story: there's this place in Los Angeles, which is where everything is lol, but it's not a place. It's a taco truck that's getting hella popular coz they fuse tacos with korean BBQ. I've been wanting to go for so long and I finally got my chance to earlier this week.

it's hella good. Anybody in LA definitely needs to check it out.

the place is called Kogi BBQ... check these out for more info & pics:

http://kogibbq.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kogibbq/
http://twitter.com/kogibbq/

Zyzyxxz

JEKKI said:

the story: there's this place in Los Angeles, which is where everything is lol, but it's not a place. It's a taco truck that's getting hella popular coz they fuse tacos with korean BBQ. I've been wanting to go for so long and I finally got my chance to earlier this week.

I've been meaning to try it, they come by near Rosemead on Fridays and Saturdays.

The thing is I hear the lines are super long and start before they even arrive. People see on Twitter that they are moving to a new spot and the customers get there before theya rrive. I heard the food is not that good and its kind of small, not filling at all.

It's mostly a hype powered movement but I want to try it myself still. Maybe this weekend,

Xabora

JEKKI said:

:(

You make me hate the east coast.

Zyzyxxz said:
I've been meaning to try it, they come by near Rosemead on Fridays and Saturdays.

The thing is I hear the lines are super long and start before they even arrive. People see on Twitter that they are moving to a new spot and the customers get there before theya rrive. I heard the food is not that good and its kind of small, not filling at all.

It's mostly a hype powered movement but I want to try it myself still. Maybe this weekend,

If you don't want to wait in line and you're near West LA, you can go to the Alibi Room at night. They use that bar's kitchen as prep, so at night they also serve the same food there.

I've had their tacos and thought they were ok. Definitely not worth standing in line 45 minutes for though. I think they have a GREAT PR person with twitter and all that jazz, but anyone can slap some mediocre Korean BBQ on a taco. I think they're just too over-hyped.

3408951772_2ee498dc60.jpg

I made some vegan mac & cheeze again last night. Mac & cheese is always so good, but so unhealthy, so I tried to make it healthier by sneaking in some chopped up cauliflower and parsley. I guess parsley doesn't really count as a vegetable though haha.

JEKKI said:

OMG I want to go to LA so bad now. UGH.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
you make me proud, folks!
Jefklak, thanks for the props, but it's all the posters in here that make this thread such a wholesome experience.

nakedsushi said:
I tried to make it healthier by sneaking in some chopped up cauliflower and parsley. I guess parsley doesn't really count as a vegetable though haha.
If only because it isn't generally eaten in very large quantities; the stuff is crazy nutritious compared to just about anything on an ounce-for-ounce basis. And delicious-looking M&C!

way more

slidewinder said:
If only because it isn't generally eaten in very large quantities; the stuff is crazy nutritious compared to just about anything on an ounce-for-ounce basis. And delicious-looking M&C!

Parsley is actually pretty tasty as long as you don't mince it to hell. In the large leafs it adds some freshness but when chopped to tiny bits it tastes like grass.

JEKKI said:

The Kimchi taco place! I've never known somebody to go to a new food sensation as it was created. That is very cool. Before long Kimchi taco stands will sweep the nation but you were at the first one.

mac said:
Parsley is actually pretty tasty as long as you don't mince it to hell. In the large leafs it adds some freshness but when chopped to tiny bits it tastes like grass.

Ah maybe that's my problem. I always mince parsley and sprinkle it on stuff, but I can never taste it. Even in tabboule (sp?) which is mostly parsley, I can't taste it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Saya said:
Ok, so right now I'm living in an apartment without proper cooking equipment. But we bought a single electric stove, so we can at least make some food ourselves because eating out everyday gets tiring after a while. But because we only have 1 stove we are very limited with cooking options.

So, cooking tips or recipe recommendations for a single electric stove are very welcome! :lol
How could I forget to recommend pancakes:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4078717&postcount=194
Enjoy!

My wife does a cooking club every month, and we end up getting salmon occasionally. Well she hates fish of any type, gags if she even smells it. So I keep it until she goes out of town and then binge. Here's the four dishes I made when she went out of town last month.

3407660077_43d94426ed.jpg

This one just has salt and plenty of pepper. I grilled it wrapped in aluminum foil with a little oil. I grilled some squash and asparagus with salt and pepper, then made some mashed turnips. I also tried to make a chai sauce to put on top, but it was very strange and I ended up only putting some on the turnips.

3407659797_19947f803c.jpg

This one I broiled with some honey and chili pepper brushed on top. Bowtie pasta with fresh snow peas on the side. Then I made a warm salsa with corn, diced tomatoes, garlic and chopped onions.

3407659197_f98ecb44b6.jpg

This one is broiled with garlic and hoisin saucebrushed on top. On the side is more asparagus, steamed this time (my favorite!) on top of some udon noodles that have cumin and pepper sprinkled on top.

3407659427_02a6ab255c.jpg

Lastly is a type of fish taco. I warmed up a tortilla then chopped up fresh cabbage, tomatoes, onions and avocado. I took the picture before I added a dressing that had ranch dressing with a bunch of diced cilantro mixed in.

And lastly, the Indiana Jones cake I made for my son on his birthday last week.

3408469698_203a297810.jpg

3408469414_5983eefc87.jpg

I know the color isn't the most appetizing for food, but he loved it.

I was looking through my fridge for something to eat today and did one of those "grab a bunch of stuff and make something" deals. The result: salad-stuffed pitas.

Took half of a medium tomato and did a fine dice. Added it to a bowl with some chopped up lettuce from a bag salad. Then did a fine dice of some really tasty mozzarella (ball, not brick) and added that as well.

To the bowl, I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil and some balsamic vinegar, and seasoned with a little salt and some pepper.

Took one of those Dempsters pitas that you can just split in two along a perforation and put some mayo on the inside, then stuffed it with the above mixture. Served with the other half of the tomato sliced with mayo, and a bit of mozzarella I had left over from prep.

Nothing fancy, but fast and easy, and it turned out tasty. :)

Jacobi

Banned
Hey, can someone tell me a good chicken recipe?
Something easy but tasteful and not too freaky please (not something like chicken with fresh grapes which I saw on a show)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Winterblink and LRB1983, well done!

Jacobi said:
Hey, can someone tell me a good chicken recipe?
Something easy but tasteful and not too freaky please (not something like chicken with fresh grapes which I saw on a show)
whole chicken or chicken parts, if parts, which ones?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
make a spice mix from salt, pepper, majoram, rosemary, thyme, garlic and paprika, grind it fine, mix it with a bit of oil and marinate the chicken breasts in it for two hours or so. slap them on a charcoal grill and enjoy in a bread roll or with fries! simple and delicious.
smallP1040099.jpg

Make some adobo. Get a package of bone-in chicken thighs and arrange them in a single layer in the bottom of a pot. Mix up enough soy sauce and vinegar in a 1:1 ratio to cover the thighs (say a good cup of each; you can add some water to bring the level up if need be). Add crushed garlic, black pepper, and bay leaves, and let the thighs marinate in the fridge for at least a couple hours, but up to 24 or more.

To cook, bring to a boil on a stovetop, and then simmer for about 20 minutes. Now remove the thighs (which should be cooked through) and increase the heat so the adobo mixture is boiling fairly rapidly. You want to reduce the mixture until it takes on a nice, thick, syrupy consistency. When it's about there, brown the skin of the chicken thighs, whether under a broiler, on a grill, or in a frying pan (I usually use the broiler). Remove the bay leaves from your adobo sauce, and serve the sauce spooned over the chicken and some rice.

This could be made with breasts if you wanted, but it wouldn't be as good.

Zoe

slidewinder said:
Make some adobo. Get a package of bone-in chicken thighs and arrange them in a single layer in the bottom of a pot. Mix up enough soy sauce and vinegar in a 1:1 ratio to cover the thighs (say a good cup of each; you can add some water to bring the level up if need be). Add crushed garlic, black pepper, and bay leaves, and let the thighs marinate in the fridge for at least a couple hours, but up to 24 or more.

To cook, bring to a boil on a stovetop, and then simmer for about 20 minutes. Now remove the thighs (which should be cooked through) and increase the heat so the adobo mixture is boiling fairly rapidly. You want to reduce the mixture until it takes on a nice, thick, syrupy consistency. When it's about there, brown the skin of the chicken thighs, whether under a broiler, on a grill, or in a frying pan (I usually use the broiler). Remove the bay leaves from your adobo sauce, and serve the sauce spooned over the chicken and some rice.

This could be made with breasts if you wanted, but it wouldn't be as good.

Thank you for that recipe! I've been trying to find one like what my father used to make, but they never sounded right.

He never did the browning part though. Everything was just left in the pot.

Yeah, the browning is optional, but I think worth it for the crispy skin. The ratio of soy to vinegar can and should be varied to taste, too. 1:1 will be quite salty, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom