• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

typically konnyaku is an ingredient I've avoided since I had bad experience with it before.

but in this stew I found a good way to eat it and enjoy it over rice. So here is my pork belly stew with daikon and konnyaku simmered in a miso and dashi stock for several hours

3534672361_4f26550e82_o.jpg

in case anybody wanted recipe:

- equal parts pork belly, daikon, and a bit less konnyaku all cut into 1/2 in pieces, carrot is part of the recipe too but I didn't have any on me.

- For pork belly I recommend putting it in the freezer for a little bit to get it hardened and allowing for easier cutting at the compromise of a little bit of meat quality but makes it a lot easier if the cut of pork belly is very fatty.

- In a pot of water pour some instant dashi stock and put a slice of konbu, 1 tablespoon of miso paste, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of sugar in there, let it reach a boil, once it does remove konbu and add the pork, daikon, and konnyaku.

- Let it reach a boil again and then put it on low to simmer for 3 hours, occasionally adding more water/dashi stock just enough to cover.

Skims oil/fat off surface of liquid, let it reduce a little bit and serve. I like it especially with rice.

Let it reach a boil

NutJobJim said:
I have a cooking related question so figured this thread would be best.

I plan on making some chilli that I saw on MMA Live. The recipe simple says 'add some chilli powder, all spice, paprika, cumin, oregano etc.', but how much? :lol

My Dad simply said add it until it tastes good? Surely someone can give me an estimate, bearing in mind that I'm cooking for one (although I eat pretty epic portions, so really I'm cooking for two.)

Would a teaspoon of each be enough?
For starting out, just use the recipe that'll inevitably be on the back of the container of chili powder you buy, being aware that the guys on MMA Live weren't talking about, say, pure cayenne chile powder, but rather a mostly-premixed blend like, for example, Gebhardt (although any brand thereof will be fine).

You're generally going to be using at least a tablespoon of that blended powder per pound of meat, along with probably at least a teaspoon of cumin per as well. Many recipes at least double those spice proportions, too.

Chile powder (generally made with very mild ancho chiles) also won't ever produce anything more than a mildly spicy chili, so you can add cayenne, a hot sauce you like, or, best of all, fresh serrano or other peppers for heat.

slidewinder said:
Mae Ploy and Maesri are both good. You don't have any Asian markets nearby?

Thanks!

Yea, I don't have any super close.

I made Beef curry with potatoes and peas tonight, ghetto style. Just boiled some round steak chunks in a little water, a head of garlic, a huge onion, and bay leaf till tender. After that, threw 2 big teaspoons of normal old curry powder, a can of coconut milk, diced potatoes, a little bit of sugar, and some ginger powder and red pepper flakes. Peas go in after potatoes are done. Bam! I think its pretty good as least :)

I love this thread.

Zyzyxxz

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Thanks!

Yea, I don't have any super close.

I made Beef curry with potatoes and peas tonight, ghetto style. Just boiled some round steak chunks in a little water, a head of garlic, a huge onion, and bay leaf till tender. After that, threw 2 big teaspoons of normal old curry powder, a can of coconut milk, diced potatoes, a little bit of sugar, and some ginger powder and red pepper flakes. Peas go in after potatoes are done. Bam! I think its pretty good as least :)

I love this thread.

pics or it didn't happen!

Anyway curry is a pretty versatile category of food that does not need to strictly follow any recipe, thats why I love making it.

3133565929_1cfcf531ea.jpg

funk0ar

Hey guys, got my first wok ever!

I love Asian food, but whenever I cook it it's never right :(

I'm guessing having a wok will help a lot now haha, so give me your best wok recipes and i'll try my best.

Zyzyxxz

funk0ar said:
Hey guys, got my first wok ever!

I love Asian food, but whenever I cook it it's never right :(

I'm guessing having a wok will help a lot now haha, so give me your best wok recipes and i'll try my best.

stir frys are what woks are made for.

The concept is simple, because of the round bottom all the heat gathers up in center of the wok.

Use your strongest burner on the highest setting and move the food fast, never let it sit still for too long (more than a few seconds).

Usually you want to use a mixture of meats and veges that aren't too high on water content and after stir frying in oil for a bit you want to add stuff for sauce such as soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce, etc.

same dish from a few post back but now in a claypot instead.
3543440459_576ceb4c7a_b.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Baby portobellos. Alos, the sauce I was going to use ended up having some mold in the jar, so I used bruschetta instead. Best turn of events ever! I don't know if I'll go back to regular sauce now.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I rarely make pizza, but would usually buy a blob of ready-to-go dough from the store. This time I had a box of Appian Way mix someone gave me because he swears by it and even pays a decent chunk to order cases of it online since it isn't available locally. Seemed like a fairly basic crust to my taste buds, maybe with a light cornmeal flavor and texture.

41iF507Dw-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Friday will be the official "Let's deep-fry the shit out of common ingredients"-night in this humble kitchen. Deep Fried Mars Bar is already on the list, what other items should be battered up and tossed in the hot oil?

Suggestions plz.

Sumidor

OnkelC said:
Friday will be the official "Let's deep-fry the shit out of common ingredients"-night in this humble kitchen. Deep Fried Mars Bar is already on the list, what other items should be battered up and tossed in the hot oil?

Suggestions plz.

Twinkies.

jarosh

OnkelC said:

Suggestions plz.
deep-fry a deep fryer

t587.jpg

Dead Man

OnkelC said:

Suggestions plz.
Always a fan of fried fruit. Pineapple rings and bananas.

Flo_Evans

Damn it! I just found out there is a local pork steak competition, my specialty! I am too late to register though. Oh well I will just have to go and declare that all the contestants suck and my pork steaks are the best. Maybe I will set up a guerrilla pit next to the main event. :lol

I have finally unpacked and got the kitchen in order!! Will be posting (and stealing ideas) much more hopefully! :D

21cxenk.jpg

Horray!

ShinAmano

OnkelC said:

Suggestions plz.
First I love this thread...I need to get some pics on here...

Anyhow...
Oreos

CTLance

Hooo... OnkelC, is that a challenge?

I'm thinking... insects. Or even better, scorpions. I doubt you can gain access to some small (young) scorpions here in good ol' Germany though... so consider it a "pro forma" suggestion. They're quite tasty though.

Aaaanyway, enough bla bla. I nominate shrimp/prawns. Very yummy, but I gotta admit I like them better fresh off the grill with copious amounts of garlic. None of that deep-fried sweet stuff for me, kthx.

Banana, apple, and pineapple pieces + batter + deepfrier + Honey or caramelized sugar (flambéed) = yum.

Also: Ice. Seriously. That's an order. Deep-fried Vanilla/Chocolate ice. Perfect for the weather. Num num num.

mrkgoo

CTLance said:
Hooo... OnkelC, is that a challenge?

I'm thinking... insects. Or even better, scorpions. I doubt you can gain access to some small (young) scorpions here in good ol' Germany though... so consider it a "pro forma" suggestion. They're quite tasty though.

Aaaanyway, enough bla bla. I nominate shrimp/prawns. Very yummy, but I gotta admit I like them better fresh off the grill with copious amounts of garlic. None of that deep-fried sweet stuff for me, kthx.

Banana, apple, and pineapple pieces + batter + deepfrier + Honey or caramelized sugar (flambéed) = yum.

Also: Ice. Seriously. That's an order. Deep-fried Vanilla/Chocolate ice. Perfect for the weather. Num num num.

Apparently you can deep fry anything:
dh2ykp.jpg

2hrg7b7.jpg

And so my post is not completely lost:

Mushroom Soup. Mmmm.
30xk488.jpg

And I love whit asparagus.

edbrat

frozen pizza, cadburys creme egg have been known to get battered and dropped in the fryer at Scottish chippies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
What are those long, orange deep-fried things in the freezer? They look like long tater-tots.
they are called "Kroketten" and are made from mashed potatoes, a common side dish in Europe. They can be deep fired or prepared in an oven.

jarosh

i'll take a pic of my fridge tomorrow, promised. :p

i made my own variation of chinese orange chicken with rice for dinner. the preparation was a little too elaborate, complicated and messy for tonight - i had not planned to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. oh well, it still turned out surprisingly well.

210509-1.jpg

Flo_Evans

I just got a new fridge... so it is pretty barren.

2n0u9te.jpg

Cream cheese, water, eggs, pudding, blueberries, dr. pepper, bacon (of course) pickles, and a left over ear of corn.

24ennrs.jpg

Butter, milk, diet soda (ugg) and beer.

:lol

I am badly missing some hot sauce, wife thought it was a good idea to throw out all my bottles of hot sauce. Older hot sauce = better! Not to mention now I have to buy all the different kinds again. I must have at least Sriracha, Valentino and Tabasco! :lol

Freezer has frozen chicken breast and ice cream bars.

Undeux

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone learning how to cook more interesting dishes. I think Risotto's about as complicated as I get with cooking at this point, but (especially after looking at some of the things in this thread) I'd like to do more.

I can follow the directions of a recipe decently, but I really don't know some basic skills - I've never baked anything, for instance. Are there any books (or online tutorials, or anything else) that you'd recommend for catching up on basic skills before moving on to more advanced recipes? And are there any recipe books / sites that people would recommend?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Tell me about it! I've only defrosted it once during the four years I've been living here, and that was quiiite a while ago.

I have a bunch of pics on my camera - need to upload and post those.
Undeux said:
And are there any recipe books / sites that people would recommend?
I like America's Test Kitchen on PBS. There are a couple sample vids on their website. They do a good job of explaining why they do certain things and what techniques do/don't work. Their "New Best Recipe" book is a good source for general American-style cooking with articles supplementing the recipes with some science and advice on technique. Well worth picking up. I also use Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" as a general go-to-resource.

There are plenty of other good cooking shows and books out there that people on this thread will recommend, but beyond that I'd just tell you to keep cooking and go for it. There's no substitute for experience. Even if you screw something up (which I do often), you'll learn from it. When dealing with a recipe that's moderately complicated, I usually just read the instructions thoroughly and do an internet search if there's technique that I don't understand or haven't done yet. There are youtube vids for just about anything you can imagine.

Zyzyxxz

Cornballer said:
I have a bunch of pics on my camera - need to upload and post those.
I like America's Test Kitchen on PBS. There are a couple sample vids on their website. They do a good job of explaining why they do certain things and what techniques do/don't work. Their "New Best Recipe" book is a good source for general American-style cooking with articles supplementing the recipes with some science and advice on technique. Well worth picking up. I also use Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" as a general go-to-resource.

There are plenty of other good cooking shows and books out there that people on this thread will recommend, but beyond that I'd just tell you to keep cooking and go for it. There's no substitute for experience. Even if you screw something up (which I do often), you'll learn from it. When dealing with a recipe that's moderately complicated, I usually just read the instructions thoroughly and do an internet search if there's technique that I don't understand or haven't done yet. There are youtube vids for just about anything you can imagine.

I like Tastespotting to see what everybody else is cooking, it basically compiles a visual grid of every food blog out there and its a good way to find some inspiration.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Undeux said:
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone learning how to cook more interesting dishes. I think Risotto's about as complicated as I get with cooking at this point, but (especially after looking at some of the things in this thread) I'd like to do more.

I can follow the directions of a recipe decently, but I really don't know some basic skills - I've never baked anything, for instance. Are there any books (or online tutorials, or anything else) that you'd recommend for catching up on basic skills before moving on to more advanced recipes? And are there any recipe books / sites that people would recommend?

You could check the first post of this thread for links to the two home-style-cooking threads. There are lots of recipes with step-by-step instructions and pics in those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom