• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
deep-frying experiment is postponed to sunday, sorry.

What I am supposed to do with all this hot oil then!?!?! :lol

I am going to fry something anyway.

2zrp3wz.jpg

Had homemade flatbread BBQ pizza last night! god this is so good. I made mine with everything. BBQ sauce, chicken, mozzarella, parmesean, goat cheese, tomato, orange peppers, onions, topped off with sausage. :D

1st post in this beautiful thread. We have a great local butcher nearby and I have finally been talking advantage of it. Two strips, I had mine cut to size which was about 2 inches :D

Coke can for size comparison:
2eecsxe.jpg

Seasoned with steak rub:
9v9idj.jpg

119vz14.jpg

White potatoes:
2iuulw.jpg

Fries:
2hoxrg0.jpg

Partially Blanched:
51cxa1.jpg

On the grill pan they go:
e7cb5w.jpg

29pvjme.jpg

10xbity.jpg

Cooking the fat:
34fi0ap.jpg

67p2eq.jpg

Something I recently started doing with my steaks:
2v9c7qo.jpg

Greens:
25zrz91.jpg

Back to the good part:
2z7eu5y.jpg

Fries finished:
zvvk3d.jpg

Resting:
b8wh9s.jpg

Plated, nothing fancy, need new plates:
25kqzux.jpg

Rare, mission accomplished:
314bdwg.jpg

kcnzx5.jpg

bja3xc.jpg

Turned out really good, I just wish we had something nice to drink with it.

user friendly said:
1st post in this beautiful thread. We have a great local butcher nearby and I have finally been talking advantage of it. Two strips, I had mine cut to size which was about 2 inches :D

Turned out really good, I just wish we had something nice to drink with it.
That looks incredible....no....incredibaldbull!!!

Zyzyxxz

Iron_Scimitar said:
Hello all...I wanna buy a wok, can anyone recommend one? I have a glass top range. I hear carbon steel is the hotness. Truth?

carbon steel is good but I think most Woks are made of iron.

I don't know brands because I just get one from a Chinese maker but make sure the bottom is round, NOT FLAT.

The bottom needs to be round so it can be a high heat zone while a flat service spreads out the heat more. Read up the wiki article on Stir Frying to get an idea.

I love you. That steak is cooked so perfect I want to shake your hand.

Now to kick off the Memorial weekend BBQ fest!

First my fridge is mostly asian stuff...alas it was time to head to the supermarket
3560980903_fa44fa0a9e_b.jpg

3560981497_359b04df16_b.jpg

Fresh and Easy had BBQ packs for sale $5 for 4 burgers, 4 sausages, and some chicken thigh and wings, pretty painless and easy buy so how could I not?

3561797398_cdb3d86ff4_o.jpg

3560979767_1fd9bcfe5a_o.jpg

Xelinis

That crust on the steak looks amazing! That's what I'd be aiming for if my roommates weren't so paranoid about smoke in the kitchen.

On that note, anyone have any advice on keeping smoke levels down when making steak like that? I'm trying to use canola oil but we still come close to getting a visit from the fire department.

Zyzyxxz

Xelinis said:
That crust on the steak looks amazing! That's what I'd be aiming for if my roommates weren't so paranoid about smoke in the kitchen.

On that note, anyone have any advice on keeping smoke levels down when making steak like that? I'm trying to use canola oil but we still come close to getting a visit from the fire department.

what kind of pan are you using? Seems like you are getting too hot if you make that much smoke or are you adding other liquids in there with it?

When I make steak it never gets that bad unless you guys dont have those ventilation fans that go into the roof

Xelinis

Zyzyxxz said:
what kind of pan are you using? Seems like you are getting too hot if you make that much smoke or are you adding other liquids in there with it?

When I make steak it never gets that bad unless you guys dont have those ventilation fans that go into the roof

I've tried cast iron and stainless steel with similar results, I'm not adding any fluids. This is a college campus apartment and our ventilation fans are crap.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
user friendly, wonderful first post and a worthy contribution! Thanks for sharing, really nice steak(s).

We had temperatures around 30C yesterday around here, so I did not deep fry anything :(
only meal of the day was some spinach, sauteed with a bit of butter, garlic and a splash of white wine.

Keep sharing, folks.

Zyzyxxz said:
Fresh and Easy had BBQ packs for sale $5 for 4 burgers, 4 sausages, and some chicken thigh and wings, pretty painless and easy buy so how could I not?

I was looking forward to Fresh and Easy opening up around here. There was supposed to be one in each direction I drive. Then the down economy hit and not only are the F&E retail spots empty, all the brand new retail buildings are empty.

funk0ar

Xelinis said:
I've tried cast iron and stainless steel with similar results, I'm not adding any fluids. This is a college campus apartment and our ventilation fans are crap.

Why don't you take the batteries out of the smoke alarm, or tape a plastic bag over it whilst you cook?

That and open every window or door that you can while running any fans you might have to disperse smoke from the stove. The stovetop-sear->oven method is always going to produce a lot of smoke if you do it right.

Edit: And great pics too, guys. That steak looks incredible in particular.

funk0ar

Well, it was wood fired pizzas at Nonnas last night. We have a traditional wood fire over and a lot of the ingredients are home made or home grown (the prosciutto, sausages, rocket, herbs etc.) so they came out great. Nothing beats a wood fire oven when cooking pizza, nothing... forget your fancy pizza stones this is the way to go :).

There were to many to take photos of and I only had my phone so apologies for the quality here are some of the pics that came out decent.

The chillies drying on the window sill
o5n779.jpg

potatoes and pork cooking as an appetiser before the pizzas
i40h9t.jpg

Prociutto and mozzarella pizza, I think the one in the background was eggplant
10dgscz.jpg

Cooking the pizza
mw8hvt.jpg

Prosciutto and sausage done! I wish my camera was better...
ljqjl.jpg

A collection, I think an anchovie pizza slipped in here, GROSS
29bemq1.jpg

Potato pizza
hunjbl.jpg

ev4cnt.jpg

Also, here are my two first stir fries from the other day, came out surprisingly well! Enjoy
Black bean chicken
73ff6e.jpg

chicken chow mein
2yod1c1.jpg

Flo_Evans

Iron_Scimitar said:
Hello all...I wanna buy a wok, can anyone recommend one? I have a glass top range. I hear carbon steel is the hotness. Truth?

Glass top with electric elements underneath? Sorry I don't think a wok will work properly with that range. You would need to get a flat bottom one and its just not the same.

user friendly, very nice steak! my mouth is watering... only it reminds me of my miserable failure valentines day :lol

I just tuned up the grill (knocked the rust out of burners and got new lava rocks) and am hosting my 1st official BBQ! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo_Evans said:
I just tuned up the grill (knocked the rust out of burners and got new lava rocks) and am hosting my 1st official BBQ! :D
Best of Luck with it and share ze pics plz. :lol
PRO TIP: I only have to THINK of starting the Grill and EVERYTIME* it starts to rain...
smallP1030677.jpg

*"60% of the time, it works all the time"

jarosh

it is way way WAY too hot here for me to even think about cooking right now. so all i'm eating is fruit, cottage cheese and cold turkey breast.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
PRO TIP: I only have to THINK of starting the Grill and EVERYTIME* it starts to rain...

*"60% of the time, it works all the time"

CURSE YOU!

2n1dg6t.jpg

temp is fine here, but...

dyag3n.jpg

Its raining. Hopefully it will clear up.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
smallP1030677.jpg

"

True grilling aficionados don't let rain stop them!

GameCat

Greek style dinner tonight:

Beef patties stuffed with feta cheese with lots of mint and oregano, served with roast potatoes, tomato salad and tsatsiki. They're actually even better when made with lamb and on the grill but this way works as well.

bpfd

My first and probably last contribution to this thread. (My girlfriend has an iron grip on making meals at our house.) As it was a major "cook on the grill holiday weekend", I got the rare opportunity to make supper. I am far from competent but the end result was good enough for me.

SSPX0024.jpg

Dogs for the kids and chicken for the adults.

SSPX0025.jpg
]

BBQ sauce for those that wanted it.

SSPX0026-1.jpg

Served with salad with Italian dressing and mozzarella.

Not bad considering all ingredients were purchased for less then $15 and I had to piece two different grills together just to get the thing to work.

edit for pic size

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
a true BBQ aficionado would not be set back by a bit of deluge, YOU FAIL ME!

seriously though, best of luck.

Zyzyxxz said:
True grilling aficionados don't let rain stop them!

Did you really think a little rain would stop me?

o0a4g3.jpg

It doesn't look that bad, but I had to change t-shirts twice. :lol

1zv4jdw.jpg

I love pork!

25f65wh.jpg

and bratwurst.

kbddmr.jpg

and chicken.

I also made burgers and shrimp but they were gone before I could take a pic.

wv7haq.jpg

after everyone left I made a grilled egg and cheese sandwich. :lol

mrkgoo

funk0ar: Your black bean chicken reminds me I need to find some "Ho fan", or River Rice Noodle (called river because of the thick, flat shape). It is the awesomest, and I haven't had it in ages.

In the meantime:

COOOOOOKIEEEEE!

Nothing beats a Memorial Day Weekend Crawfish Boil at the Lake :)

We cooked 100lb's of Live Fresh Crawfish from LA with potatoes mushrooms and corn mixed in the boils.

23rogo9.jpg

2rqeek4.jpg

2emcqp3.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that looks like an awesome feast, TurtleSnatcher! thanks for sharing.
Equally nice cookies, mrkgoo, mind sharing the recipe?

Keep'em coming, people.

TurtleSnatcher said:

Oh man crawfish boil sounds amazing. It's one of my top 10 things I *NEED* to try. I dunno where in Cailfornia has it though. Maybe it's just a southern thing?

Also, I noticed a lot of people making pizza in this thread! Nice!

I went up to wine-country last long weekend for some wine and *cough* fine dining. The wine was definitely better than the food up there, strangely. Maybe people are just too drunk to care about food in Paso Robles.

I don't want to flood the post with tons of pics, but there's a review of one of the better known restaurants in the area. In a nutshell: good looking, overpriced and mediocre tasting food ;)

Artisan Review

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Oh man crawfish boil sounds amazing. It's one of my top 10 things I *NEED* to try. I dunno where in Cailfornia has it though. Maybe it's just a southern thing?

Also, I noticed a lot of people making pizza in this thread! Nice!

I went up to wine-country last long weekend for some wine and *cough* fine dining. The wine was definitely better than the food up there, strangely. Maybe people are just too drunk to care about food in Paso Robles.

I don't want to flood the post with tons of pics, but there's a review of one of the better known restaurants in the area. In a nutshell: good looking, overpriced and mediocre tasting food ;)

Artisan Review

Yeah I've always wanted to try attending one, I think its just one of those things you gotta head to the south for.

Zyzyxxz

enough vegetables, more meat!

Another attempt at perfecting my spareribs. Turned out pretty tender but not as flavorful as I had hoped... then again the dry rub only had an hour on the meat and it was practically a year old, didn't even remember what was in it.

3572660656_015887c067_b.jpg

-PXG-

Mmmm. Ribs. Had some on Monday. Good shit :)

And that steak above. NEVER put butter on it. Salt, pepper and maybe a little bit of olive oil. That is all you need.

Schrade

-PXG- said:

And that steak above. NEVER put butter on it. Salt, pepper and maybe a little bit of olive oil. That is all you need.
I've had butter with a steak at Ruth's Cris Steak House. It was DAMN good. But there's just that annoying butt juice smell of butter that kinda ruins the heavenly aroma of steak.

I only cook my steaks (ribeye, only!) with Johnny's seasoning salt and pepper. Nothing else. So yummy!

Zyzyxxz

Schrade said:
I've had butter with a steak at Ruth's Cris Steak House. It was DAMN good. But there's just that annoying butt juice smell of butter that kinda ruins the heavenly aroma of steak.

I only cook my steaks (ribeye, only!) with Johnny's seasoning salt and pepper. Nothing else. So yummy!

I prefer rib eyes (for cost vs quality ratio) with just salt and pepper as well. If I had a good paying job I'd be buying a porterhouse every once in a while.

quoting myself since I was bottom on last page
Zyzyxxz said:

Another attempt at perfecting my spareribs. Turned out pretty tender but not as flavorful as I had hoped... then again the dry rub only had an hour on the meat and it was practically a year old, didn't even remember what was in it.

3572660656_015887c067_b.jpg

user friendly said:

Rare, mission accomplished:
314bdwg.jpg

My god, that looks amazing

Butter and beef steak are a pretty natural match, IMO. Clarified butter makes a great lube for the initial sear, and there's plainly nothing like butter for finishing a pan sauce.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
-PXG- said:

well, a piece of herbed butter on a steak is the perfect company IMHO.
smallP1030954.jpg

I prefer searing the meat with sunflower or cornseed oil, though.

bovo

I found a couple of pictures of food that I never got round to uploading before...

First is a tofu chow mein type thing (marinated tofu, spring onions, beansprouts, noodles):

Second is a repeat of the tofu schnitzel I made a while ago - tofu (frozen and defrosted to improve texture, breaded and fried, with fried rice and potato salad:

Considered cutting tofu less square to appeal to my meat eating self, but couldn't be bothered in the end and left it in neat manufactured squares!

Flo_Evans

Zyzyxxz said:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3572660656_015887c067_b.jpg

Those look great! I've never really tried to make ribs. Maybe I should...

OnkelC said:
well, a piece of herbed butter on a steak is the perfect company IMHO.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/PepperedSteak/smallP1030954.jpg

I prefer searing the meat with sunflower or cornseed oil, though.

Good god man, there is almost a half stick of butter between the steak and the corn!

I approve :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oh wow, my dad would be so proud of Onkel's butter usage. He'll go through half a container on a couple pieces of toast because he jokingly refers to it as a dietary supplement. :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The wife surprised me with a baguette from the local deli:
IMG_1007767x1024.jpg

IMG_10091024x758.jpg

French cooked ham, appenzeller cheese, hard boiled eggs and a sourcream/estragon condiment.

AAAaaaand again just for hadareud:
IMG_10101024x768.jpg

IMG_10111024x767.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom