• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Never made risotto before but I've become increasingly curious as to how.

This is my first attempt and it didn't turn out bad.

3606054664_c6c5dde930_o.jpg

in case anybody wanted to know it contains: mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, green onions, chicken stock, salt, pepper, and a dash of Italian seasoning.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looks good, altough I prefer the traditional variant with butter, buter, butter, some white wine and loads of parmesan...:D

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Looks good, altough I prefer the traditional variant with butter, buter, butter, some white wine and loads of parmesan...:D

I'm going to try that, I noticed white wine was a common ingredient while looking up multiple recipes for risotto but I had none around, nor butter, nor parmesan cheese, unfortunately none of these are staple ingredients around my home.

What're you looking to do with this new pan, Zyzyxxz? I'm pretty sure that any useful response to your original question has a lot more "restaurant supply store" than "Le Creuset" in it, but it never hurts to narrow things down.

Tuvoc

Last night I made a Watermelon-Feta salad w/ baby arugula and a lime-viniagrette. If it looks like a lot of feta and watermelon, thats because it is. I normally dont use that much but it was all I ate last night so i added extra.

Sorry for the crappy cameraphone pic.

waterfeta1.jpg

It's officially become my new favorite salad.

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder said:
What're you looking to do with this new pan, Zyzyxxz? I'm pretty sure that any useful response to your original question has a lot more "restaurant supply store" than "Le Creuset" in it, but it never hurts to narrow things down.

Hmm probably use it to the same things I do with a cast iron, cook eggs, pan sear meat, typical cooking stuff.

Just that its for the times I need to use it fast and don't wanna bother with handling a heavy cast iron or the careful cleanup involved.

Nice risotto, Zyzyxxz. I'm always too lazy to make risotto, so I wait for the BF to make it. Also, if you're looking into a le crueset enameled dutch oven but don't want to shell out the money, look into a Lodge enameled dutch oven. I got mine on sale for $30 from Amazon. I think it's the 6qt one. Sturdy, heavy, super easy to clean, and I don't feel bad about chipping a bit of the enamel off from the handle.

Some pics of stuff we've made this past week:

3606540234_844a43e599.jpg

mochi + waffle iron = moffles. I made a savory version with some soy sauce + sesame oil + rice vinegar + chili paste drizzled on top.

3606540418_81a9e973d8.jpg

A sweet red bean waffle sandwich. This reminds me of the red been pastry things the ladies in front of Asian markets sell. The Japanese kind is shaped like a fish.

3606540520_99b0eb9f4a.jpg

Got a great deal on fresh porcini mushroom from the mushroom guy at the farmer's market. Soooo delicious. I'm sad that their season is so short.

3606540368_fc87923bee.jpg

I also started baking bread more. This is 5 minute artisan bread. But that name's a misnomer.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Nice risotto, Zyzyxxz. I'm always too lazy to make risotto, so I wait for the BF to make it. Also, if you're looking into a le crueset enameled dutch oven but don't want to shell out the money, look into a Lodge enameled dutch oven. I got mine on sale for $30 from Amazon. I think it's the 6qt one. Sturdy, heavy, super easy to clean, and I don't feel bad about chipping a bit of the enamel off from the handle.

Some pics of stuff we've made this past week:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3662/3606540234_844a43e599.jpg
mochi + waffle iron = moffles. I made a savory version with some soy sauce + sesame oil + rice vinegar + chili paste drizzled on top.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3606540418_81a9e973d8.jpg
A sweet red bean waffle sandwich. This reminds me of the red been pastry things the ladies in front of Asian markets sell. The Japanese kind is shaped like a fish.

thanks for the suggestion.

What texture and taste does mochi take on once grilled? It seems like a bizarre combination to go with soy sauce.

Those red bean pastries are so good too! I love the taiyaki (fish shaped) ones and I've been planning on buying a iron mold for it.

Zyzyxxz said:
thanks for the suggestion.

What texture and taste does mochi take on once grilled? It seems like a bizarre combination to go with soy sauce.

Those red bean pastries are so good too! I love the taiyaki (fish shaped) ones and I've been planning on buying a iron mold for it.

The outside of the mochi gets crispy and puffy, kinda like a rice cracker, and the inside melts and is gooey, like melted mozzarella. It's pretty tasteless, so it's perfect for making sweet, or salty with soy sauce.

edit: PUFFY, not muffy.

Flo_Evans

mmm french toast!

1238wzm.jpg

in my new french pan! I've never had an enamel coated cast iron pan before. Do you need to season it like a regular cast iron one? The little booklet that came with it made no mention of it and said to clean it with soap and water. I thought you weren't supposed to do that...

Flo_Evans said:
in my new french pan! I've never had an enamel coated cast iron pan before. Do you need to season it like a regular cast iron one? The little booklet that came with it made no mention of it and said to clean it with soap and water. I thought you weren't supposed to do that...

Is the inside/top black part enamle or cast iron? If it's cast iron, treat that part as a cast iron pan and don't use soap unless it's some crazy emergency. Just let the patina develop on the cast iron side. Not really sure what the purpose of the enamel at the bottom is for though.

3612546325_5c0113f3fa.jpg

Made fried eggplant sandwiches and baked bread to go along with it. As much as I love fried eggplant, it uses a lot of oil! Is there a way to make eggplant WITHOUT using so much oil?

3613363576_a53a1ac040.jpg

I also made some mango sorbet. Not as hard as I thought it would be without an ice-cream maker. It just takes a lot of time, 4 hours total, stirring every 30 mins.

Flo_Evans

nakedsushi said:
Is the inside/top black part enamle or cast iron? If it's cast iron, treat that part as a cast iron pan and don't use soap unless it's some crazy emergency. Just let the patina develop on the cast iron side. Not really sure what the purpose of the enamel at the bottom is for though..

Yeah the inside is enamel too. I think it's just black so it will not get stained as easily. I think the outside enamel is just for decoration/make it more expensive. :lol I have another one that is more of a dutch oven that has white enamel inside and green outside. I think I might roast a duck in it! :D

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Tuvoc said:
Last night I made a Watermelon-Feta salad w/ baby arugula and a lime-viniagrette. If it looks like a lot of feta and watermelon, thats because it is. I normally dont use that much but it was all I ate last night so i added extra.

Sorry for the crappy cameraphone pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Frankbianchi/waterfeta1.jpg

It's officially become my new favorite salad.

Innovative. I might give this a try. I can imagine the feta's saltiness enhancing the watermelon's flavor.

^ Ah, it's ok to wash with soap and water then. The enameled cast iron things are SLICK. I have a traditional enameled dutch oven and it's such a breeze to clean. Everything pratically just falls off in hot water. The only thing to watch out for is chipping it. Since it's so heavy, I accidentally chipped the enamel off the handle =( If you do chip it, rub the exposed cast iron with oil so it doesn't rust.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
3612546325_5c0113f3fa.jpg

Made fried eggplant sandwiches and baked bread to go along with it. As much as I love fried eggplant, it uses a lot of oil! Is there a way to make eggplant WITHOUT using so much oil?

From experience not really, eggplants are oil sponges as far as I know.

Unless there some baking method, but I dont think oven fried eggplant works as well as with other things.

Shoogoo

My girlfriend made these and I figured I'd post them here. I don't know how exactly you call that in english but in french it's called "Tartelette aux fraises"

DSCN0924.jpg

Simple yet delicious :)

luoapp

nakedsushi said:

Tempura is perfect for eggplant. Dip in a light batter before deepfry. Serve with your favorite sauce.

[borrowed picture, not mine:)]
354695ff1d4d75e168ef58a8eaa3c1e3.jpg

Tuvoc

Shoogoo said:
My girlfriend made these and I figured I'd post them here. I don't know how exactly you call that in english but in french it's called "Tartelette aux fraises"

Simple yet delicious :)

The english term would be strawberry tart ;)

Shoogoo: Beautifult arts! At first glance, I thought they were flowers.

Tempura eggplant is a good idea, but it still uses a massive amount of oil b/c of the deep frying =( I never know what to do wit the oil after. Seems like a waste to just throw it away.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Shoogoo: Beautifult arts! At first glance, I thought they were flowers.

Tempura eggplant is a good idea, but it still uses a massive amount of oil b/c of the deep frying =( I never know what to do wit the oil after. Seems like a waste to just throw it away.

Dont most people reserve frying oil and reuse it several times until it starts browning?

Cosmic Bus said:
You can definitely save and reuse the oil. Just strain it and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge.

Hm, how can I tell when the oil "goes bad?" Does oil go bad? I guess...anything that can survive in a gazillion degrees of hot oil when I heat it up probably deserves to kill me in the first place.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You'll definitely know if and when the oil goes rancid; there's an unmistakable smell and taste, in the case that you accidentally use some of it for cooking. Just don't leave it sitting out for extended periods of time -- let it cool and get it into the fridge. Once the oil becomes noticeably darker after a few (several?) uses, then it's time to toss it.

I don't know if you eat fish or not, but I've read that it's one of those things that can contaminate frying oil flavor-wise and that cooking some plain potato in it will help "pull" that out of oil. A neat trick!

This thread is a cruel mistress sometimes, by the way. My current budgetary constraints have me eating a fair amount of ham sandwiches and off-brand Pop-Tarts. :lol

besada

Banned
Made pork stew today in the slow cooker. I love my slow cooker. Nothing's easier than putting in a pork roast, some chopped veg, some seasoning and water and then going off to work while time and heat does the job for you. Twelve hours later on low and there's delicious stew.

Making pulled-beef barbecue Saturday. Just as easy. I'd take pictures but it would all be pretty anti-climactic.

besada

Banned
Shoogoo said:

Is that custard or some sort of creme in the tart?

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
This thread is a cruel mistress sometimes, by the way. My current budgetary constraints have me eating a fair amount of ham sandwiches and off-brand Pop-Tarts. :lol

I know what you mean, luckily the Fresh and Easy near me was clearing out Risotto rice so I bought a couple boxes and some cheap white wine to practice making it.

The worst part about cooking as a hobby is when you screw up a dish and you see your money go in the trash.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zyzyxxz said:
The worst part about cooking as a hobby is when you screw up a dish and you see your money go in the trash.

I usually [try to] eat even the mistakes, unless it's clearly a disaster. I figure it'll help me learn what not to do the next time and, if I'm essentially winging it, possibly figure out what ingredients don't work with others.

The other morning I was making an omelette and realized I was out of milk, so I grabbed some Coffee Mate creamer... forgetting that it was French vanilla flavored. :lol Needless to say, that was an odd-tasting breakfast, but hey, I wasn't about to toss it out.

SRG01

Cosmic Bus said:
I usually [try to] eat even the mistakes, unless it's clearly a disaster. I figure it'll help me learn what not to do the next time and, if I'm essentially winging it, possibly figure out what ingredients don't work with others.

The other morning I was making an omelette and realized I was out of milk, so I grabbed some Coffee Mate creamer... forgetting that it was French vanilla flavored. :lol Needless to say, that was an odd-tasting breakfast, but hey, I wasn't about to toss it out.

Part of the learning process is knowing how to fix a messed up dish too! :)

pab

What a great thread. You've all inspired me to sto lurking and contribute. Tonight's dinner of marinated turkey nibbles and couscous.
opcprq.jpg

My cat seems a little too interested in my dinner.

A simple easy meal to make. Marinate turkey nibbles or chicken drumsticks in a marinade made of light soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, lemon juice and crushed ginger for atleast a few hours. Bake in marinade for a little over an hour at 180ºC uncovered. For the couscous, chop up onion and lightly saute for 10 mins, mince some garlic and chop a few peppers/capsicums and add to onions for another five minutes. Add 1.5 cups of hot water and bring to the boil. Add in a mix of lemon juice, olive oil, spices (tumeric, cumin, safron and pepper in this case) and add 1 cup couscous. Stir, and remove from heat. Cover for five minutes. Fluffy the couscous and serve.

I look forward to contributing more pics in future.

Zyzyxxz

pab said:
What a great thread. You've all inspired me to sto lurking and contribute. Tonight's dinner of marinated turkey nibbles and couscous.
opcprq.jpg

My cat seems a little too interested in my dinner.

A simple easy meal to make. Marinate turkey nibbles or chicken drumsticks in a marinade made of light soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, lemon juice and crushed ginger for atleast a few hours. Bake in marinade for a little over an hour at 180ºC uncovered. For the couscous, chop up onion and lightly saute for 10 mins, mince some garlic and chop a few peppers/capsicums and add to onions for another five minutes. Add 1.5 cups of hot water and bring to the boil. Add in a mix of lemon juice, olive oil, spices (tumeric, cumin, safron and pepper in this case) and add 1 cup couscous. Stir, and remove from heat. Cover for five minutes. Fluffy the couscous and serve.

I look forward to contributing more pics in future.

where have you been all this time!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Really nice dishes, everybody! And welcome to IronGAF, pab! our cat only seems to be interested in the daily dinner because it's for "us", not for her...:lol Forbidden fruit and the like.

pab

A quick and simple thai prawn curry.
20iux3n.jpg

A bit too spicy for the cat this time.

I'm sure this is a bastardisation of authenic thai cooking, but I was hungry and couldn't be bothered doing it propery. A heaped tablespoon of red curry paste in a hot wok with 1/2 a can of coconut cream. Mix well so the paste blends with cream, then chuck the rest of the can of coconut cream. Bring to boil. I threw in a cup of frozen pre-cooked prawns/shrimp straight from the freezer (normally I would thaw these properlly if I'd planned ahead). Start chopping veges and add to wok as you go - carrot, onion, broccoli, cabbage. Whist this is happening, cook the noodles, cold rinse and drain. Add to curry after veges have had 2-3 mins to cook. Boom, dinner done in 15 minutes, plus leftovers for my wife and I for tomorrow's lunch.

I've been using the following curry paste for the past few years (I usually have a few jars of different paste in the fridge):

Zyzyxxz

pab said:
I'm sure this is a bastardisation of authenic thai cooking, but I was hungry and couldn't be bothered doing it propery. A heaped tablespoon of red curry paste in a hot wok with 1/2 a can of coconut cream. Mix well so the paste blends with cream, then chuck the rest of the can of coconut cream. Bring to boil. I threw in a cup of frozen pre-cooked prawns/shrimp straight from the freezer (normally I would thaw these properlly if I'd planned ahead). Start chopping veges and add to wok as you go - carrot, onion, broccoli, cabbage. Whist this is happening, cook the noodles, cold rinse and drain. Add to curry after veges have had 2-3 mins to cook. Boom, dinner done in 15 minutes, plus leftovers for my wife and I for tomorrow's lunch.
]

it looks good and who cares about authenticity, food has no set standards at home and the combination of varying cultures can lead to great new dishes.

In a restaurant its a different story for me though, Chinese dishes with broccoli annoy me to no end.

this past week I've been busy and had little time to cook, what time I do have I devote to practicing risotto. Also my graduation was coming up which was just yesterday so here's a tease to dinner in my honor.
3622372117_fef678a71b_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
awesome buffet pic, thanks for sharing! What's the artisan cut green veggies on the center left plate? looks a bit like broccoli trunks.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
awesome buffet pic, thanks for sharing! What's the artisan cut green veggies on the center left plate? looks a bit like broccoli trunks.

I don't think it is, I'm not really sure what it exactly is but I eat it alot when I go out with my family.

Cosmic Bus said:
It tastes so good, though. :( That dinner spread looks wonderful!

Nothing against broccoli but it seems a strange and random choice to add it into stir frys, it comes off to me as kinda half assed Asian fusion or the restaurant is being cheap and wants to stock as few types of vegetables as possible.

pab

That spread laid out fantastic. Congratuations on the graduation.
Zyzyxxz said:
it looks good and who cares about authenticity, food has no set standards at home and the combination of varying cultures can lead to great new dishes.
It's a good thing I'm not a restaurant :) I tend to follow a basic recipe and substitute with what I have in the pantry/fridge. I do try and branch out and buy new things to cook with, though sometimes its a little difficult to source some ingredients. I'm just not a planner when it comes to the weekly shop - I just buy basics and whatever strikes me as interesting on the day. It doesn't help that I don't know what I want to cook for the week when I go shopping so I tend have a well stocked fridge and pantry

A lazy Sunday's bacon and poach eggs on toasted homemade bread with nice cup of tea.
df7o5k.jpg

Yum. Toast bread, poach an egg, fry bacon, brew some tea, eat!

rezuth

Zyzyxxz said:

In a restaurant its a different story for me though, Chinese dishes with broccoli annoy me to no end.

this past week I've been busy and had little time to cook, what time I do have I devote to practicing risotto. Also my graduation was coming up which was just yesterday so here's a tease to dinner in my honor.
3622372117_fef678a71b_o.jpg
Looks like a hair in that dish :lol

Zyzyxxz

rezuth said:
Looks like a hair in that dish :lol

I've found worse in my food before :lol

But seriously I think you're seeing the antenna of that shrimp that got onto the same plate

kassatsu said:
It sorta looks like the bottom half of some gai lan.

yes thats it! I forgot that it existed since its not one of my favorite vegetables.

pab said:
That spread laid out fantastic. Congratuations on the graduation.

It's a good thing I'm not a restaurant :) I tend to follow a basic recipe and substitute with what I have in the pantry/fridge. I do try and branch out and buy new things to cook with, though sometimes its a little difficult to source some ingredients. I'm just not a planner when it comes to the weekly shop - I just buy basics and whatever strikes me as interesting on the day. It doesn't help that I don't know what I want to cook for the week when I go shopping so I tend have a well stocked fridge and pantry

Thanks, but yeah that basically describes my fridge buying behavior as well, unless there is a specific dish I want to make I usually just get what is on sale and looks good. Substitute with a similar thing if I forget to buy it.

The only reason I say otherwise about restaurants is that you pay money you earned to eat good food so I expect to get my money's worth. Not to say I don't enjoy street food which is rich in culture IMO.

I'm having a semi-wonderful frozen spicy octopus/noodles from a korean grocery store. I say semi because: while the heat is there, it still tastes bland. have I overdosed on salt/sugar throughout the years or is it just a different sensibility? also because my SO spilled her half all over the floor and it sucks. I'm thinking i may have used too much water...

Zyzyxxz

theinfinityissue said:
I'm having a semi-wonderful frozen spicy octopus/noodles from a korean grocery store. I say semi because: while the heat is there, it still tastes bland. have I overdosed on salt/sugar throughout the years or is it just a different sensibility? also because my SO spilled her half all over the floor and it sucks. I'm thinking i may have used too much water...

no, from my experience octopus doesn't go well with quick food. It's something that should be simmered in sauce to gain flavor because it does have much flavor on its own or try baby octopus instead.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Fresh asparagus right out of the garden, wrapped in bacon and roasted in the oven, with a variation of Goetta that was made with steel cut oats, mushroom, onion, shredded carrot, chives, sugar and a splash of cider vinegar, then firmed in the fridge, sliced and lightly pan fried for a crisp crust.

S6304168.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom