• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS going to buy a Japanese publisher next?

Kadve

Would they even be allowed to do that? The Japanese government tends to frown upon foreign companions muscling themselves in on their soil.

Ar¢tos

Would they even be allowed to do that? The Japanese government tends to frown upon foreign companions muscling themselves in on their soil.
They wouldn't, they should consider themselves very lucky to have Tango already. Japanese laws/government would make it extremely hard for them to buy a publisher there, even for a small studio there would be difficulties.

This thread is mostly a daydream circle jerk.

Sorcerer

Microsoft already has a ton of studios, problem is, what good is it if they can't even manage what they currently have? Besides throwing classic/legacy titles into Gamepass.
Also, I think MS would have to cool their jets for a while. Acquiring Activison/Blizzard is realistically worth about a decade of acquistions. Not that they will stick to that of course, but I can't help feeling they will really be perceived as monopolistic and greedy (in not already) if they don't calm down for a while.
As far as acquiring a Japanese developer, perhaps it would be better if Microsoft developed one of their own from the ground up? Not like Microsoft cannot throw endless money into it and acquire top notch talent.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Console wars are getting serious. They should also take away their women.
F0rSiW7.jpg

Na, we're good fam

They should go after Platinum Games and get them to resume and finish Scalebound. The studio head had reached out to MS about a year or so ago and expressed interest to complete the game. He said they still had the original build and assets just needed a green light to resume the project.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Not true. Japanese laws only prevent acquiring companies that relate to Japanese defense or national security. In fact, MS was trying to purchase Nintendo at one point.
Wrong. They tried and were blocked. Japan has always protected its own companies and have policies in place preventing foreign investment beyond a certain point. The only real exception is companies that were created by joint investors.

oldergamer

Wrong. They tried and were blocked. Japan has always protected its own companies and have policies in place preventing foreign investment beyond a certain point. The only real exception is companies that were created by joint investors.
Sega is technically an American company

Nope. Microsoft weren’t blocked but laughed at by Nintendo as they didn’t accept MS offer.

Sanepar

Remember when gaming was about the games, and not business moves.

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
That is something about xbox fanboys.
They never ask Phil Spencet about a good flow of great aaa games. A flow of great sp games that they are still missing.

They are always cheering new features, new aquisitions, talking about a new aquisition. But never about games.

Bizarre.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Companies that are a key part of Japan’s economy still falls in line with defense and national security…
Yes, while Nintendo will have nothing to do with the words "defense" and "national security" directly, it will be included since a strong economy due to being a key player strengthens their defenses and national security financially and homogenously/sovereignty.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They have 23 studios and still missing a good flow of great AAA games. Always this excuse they need more.

They never ask Phil Spencet about a good flow of great aaa games. A flow of great sp games that they are still missing.

They have 4 confirmed first party games out as of September (5 if you count Ghostwire) with a couple of more that are scheduled for '23 but don't have a final date yet (eg Forza Motorsport).

That's not just a steady flow, that's a stream.

Shubh_C63

Again, Has there ever been a large acquisition of Japanese company by a US based company ?

I doubt any Japanese company would agree.

Sanepar

They have 4 confirmed first party games out as of September (5 if you count Ghostwire) with a couple of more that are scheduled for '23 but don't have a final date yet (eg Forza Motorsport).

That's not just a steady flow, that's a stream.
You are always talking about the future. Since 2017. It always schedule for the future. But what we have since 2017 is forza, gears, halo and a lot of pr bs.

I have a series X. But Microsoft situation is there oy because of their missmanagment. How many great AAA Sony released since 2017?

Since these games didn't release we have no idea if they will be good or not and with their backlog i prefer to first see a good flow(not 2,3 4) at least 20 great aaa sp games before cheer them about next aquisition.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You are always talking about the future. Since 2017. It always schedule for the future. But what we have since 2017 is forza, gears, halo and a lot of pr bs.

I'm literally talking about games with confirmed release dates within the next couple of months. Not CG trailers with unannounced release windows.

please go easy on the hyperbole, my breakfast is still not fully digested yet.

Last edited:

tmlDan

No, Japan won't allow it or they'd make it super difficult for them - they already started the process of limiting foreign purchases/ownership of 12 sectors in 2019 and that could grow.

I don't think the US government ranting about Japan is gonna help that, it'll likely make it worse.

They have 23 studios and still missing a good flow of great AAA games. Always this excuse they need more.
We are literally getting Red fall next month along with Star field, AOE4, and Forza motor sport this year. Also, we just got hi fi rush which is the highest rated game this year if you exclude remakes.

The only AAA first party game from Sony this year is Spider-Man.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
MS needs to lay low for a while and, you know, actually do something with the studios they have. If they can't make it work with all these companies then they never will.

Sanepar

We are literally getting Red fall next month along with Star field, AOE4, and Forza motor sport this year. Also, we just got hi fi rush which is the highest rated game this year if you exclude remakes.

The only AAA first party game from Sony this year is Spider-Man.
Hi fi rush is an indie. I'm talking about aaa i don't care about indies.

Spiderman is the only one we know so far and they released 10 exclusives already in 2 years most acclaimed.

Xbox is always next month, semester year and we have no guarantee these games will be good because they didn't release.

It is reality and with xbox fans praising them even with all this missmanagement this will never change. Let's praise the next aquisition.

Gobjuduck

Banned
MS buying a JP publisher would certainly kill said publisher. They don't have the fanbase nor the reputation in Japan to keep it afloat. Japan is pretty allergic to anything that doesn't say "Nintendo" on it, console-wise.
That’s why buying sega would be a foot in the door. They could even brand the console a Sega: Series X, for example.

Sega could be the eastern brand of Xbox.

I doubt this would happen, but I can see Xbox making a long term partnership with sega. Sony with square.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I can see them buying Sega as they have close relationship with MS since the OG Xbox, which was basically a Dreamcast 2. But with Squeenix's poor leadership and poor performance lately, i can see Microsoft buying them out.

aries_71

You can bet on it... any of them is a possibility: Sega, Capcom, SE. Let's wait and see what happens in the next 2 years.

YCoCg

Wasn't Square-Enix prepping for a buyout at some point? That's why they got rid of all their western divisions and studios right?

Making a Japanese developers games limited to gamepass would completely destroy said developer, considering they have sold like ten xbox's in japan over the past year

Which would make it pretty hard for companies like Namco Bandai, Capcom, Square Enix, etc to agree. I could see MS offering some kind of deal where the publishers would be allowed to publish games on PS for like 10 years, but that is still risky.

aries_71

They wouldn't, they should consider themselves very lucky to have Tango already. Japanese laws/government would make it extremely hard for them to buy a publisher there, even for a small studio there would be difficulties.

This thread is mostly a daydream circle jerk.
This must be one of the greatest urban legends at NeoGAF. The untouchable video game Japanese companies and the Mothman.

Microsoft has really put Sony in a bind. They about to close on one the biggest western publishers which they won’t be able to get another one of that scale ever again because they were the big 4. While also flanking Sony in Japan with the preventive lobbying from congress about their 2 percent high end market share. Capcom is a big publisher for us gamers they’re not on the scale of a publisher that moves units or sway sales like an ip like call of duty. Cod probably sells more than all capcom releases for the year put together. So they can probably attempt that capcom bid or other Japanese publishers.

Top Bottom