• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS going to buy a Japanese publisher next?

ReBurn

Gold Member
No. Because it would not make financial sense to do so and likely be a bad investment.

90% of those game sales will be on PlayStation and Nintendo. MS would not be able to make those games exclusive. And Japanese games don't make billions of $ in profit anyway. At that point, what'd even be the point of such an acquisition.
Bringing more weeb games to Gamepass probably. Weebs will waifu Gamepass if it has that cute and quirky Japanese content.

I don't know if that's actually true but it feels like it could be.

GHound

Bringing more weeb games to Gamepass probably. Weebs will waifu Gamepass if it has that cute and quirky Japanese content.

I don't know if that's actually true but it feels like it could be.
An incredibly bold assumption I can confirm is not true.

I hope they do, Xbox gamers need some games.

Xbox just want a fighting chance.

Fuck it Ubisoft too. Then they can finally close those useless Xbox Studios.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No? most of SE games don’t come out on Xbox like Tactics Ogre Reborn and recently Octopath 2 and don’t think Sony paid for those like they did with FFXVI.

most Japanese devs know most of their core audience are in PlayStation and Nintendo, not Xbox.
This why you don’t see games like Atelier Ryza series coming out on Xbox.

Last edited:

squidilix

Mikami just left Tango (studio they create)... we don't know the reason but... hey.. Bethesda / Microsoft is US.

You really think Japanese Studio to get brought, for making game for people outside their country ?

It would be a waste of money as it wouldn't make a difference to their impact in Asia, which would be the main reason for buying a Japanese publisher. Capcom would be the best option as their games are probably more popular in the West than in Japan outside of Monster Hunter.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Capcom is in a bad moment, MS should take the opportunity and buy them.
Come On What GIF

KittyKatMan

Neo Member
Japanese market is going to shrink greatly in the next 20 years. Birth rate is too low, and mobile phones are the big market there…

Killer8

As pathetic as it would be, just to try to win some market share in a nation who couldn't care less about them, I think buying SEGA would spiritually be the most compatible company.

There are some historical links between MS and SEGA. MS supplied their shitty Windows CE operating system to Dreamcast. Peter Moore oversaw the Dreamcast in its limited time on Earth, before moving to Microsoft to oversee the best years of Xbox and X360. The original Xbox was for all intents and purposes a Dreamcast 2 - same push for online, a continuation of many SEGA franchises like Panzer Dragoon, Sega GT, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue, and even the same button layout on the controller. The big Xbox launch racing game, Project Gotham Racing, was a successor to Metropolis Street Racer from Bizarre Creations. Their relationship is proof that the Japanese and the American can Dream together.

If Microsoft were to buy SEGA, then the library they'd gain access to would be very valuable not just in terms of quality but also in cultural relevance. Sonic, Yakuza, the vast back catalog of old IP, plus everything previously mentioned. It is a veritable king's bounty of gaming history they'd be buying compared to dropping $67 billion on Call of Duty and Blizzard games no one cares about any more.

Also the Sonic Blue controller is hot as fuck and just strangely feels so right:

EinDXIRU0AIncDj

Woopah

Japanese market is going to shrink greatly in the next 20 years. Birth rate is too low, and mobile phones are the big market there…
Birth rate could definitely be an issue, but the mobile and dedicated video game device markets can coexist in Japan just like in Europe and North America.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Phil talks a lot about wanting to get more Japanese games, but I fervently hope Xbox doesn't buy a Japanese publisher. If they are going to buy something I would like them to get more smaller western studios.

There is a very loud minority of people crying for Japanese games on Xbox but Japanese games are not appealing to the majority of Xbox gamers, and they sell like shit. Let Sony and Nintendo specialize in Japanese games. All 3 consoles don't need to be Japanese boxes.

Phil talks a lot about wanting to get more Japanese games, but I fervently hope Xbox doesn't buy a Japanese publisher. If they are going to buy something I would like them to get more smaller western studios.

There is a very loud minority of people crying for Japanese games on Xbox but Japanese games are not appealing to the majority of Xbox gamers, and they sell like shit. Let Sony and Nintendo specialize in Japanese games. All 3 consoles don't need to be Japanese boxes.
I kind of agree but Capcom games in particular has a huge western audience.

I think they absolutely want to do something in Japan. Phil is an actual gamer. He has alot of love for Japanese gaming culture, and I think he wants to have that influence in the Xbox Studios. It a two pronged thing.
1 He really wants it to be a part of Xbox because he likes them, and 2 he knows that by having more Japanese titles it will help the Xbox brand in Japan.

As far a potential targets go, I think there is smaller targets including Platinum (I think MS was trying to buy them just before the XSXS was released., and maybe a Capcom or Sega. I just don't think Square is in their plans. MS has spent how many years trying to woo Square and they just can't get anywhere. On top of that I don't think that they would be a good buyout. Sure, I would love to see the absolute meltdown if they did and made FF exclusive to xbox. I would enjoy seeing the cries about how Square shit and FF hasn't been good for 10 years, but that's no happening.
If there is going to be aquisitions then you kinda want to see some romantic things like Square going to Sony because of their relationship, and then Sega going to MS because Xbox was the spiritual successor to Dreamcast.

But while this is all fun to speculate, the actual companies want to sell as well. I'm not sure that anyone outside of Square is in need of being bought out (Sony get in there and sort that shit out), and even then Sony would want to actually take on the shit show that is Square as well. They have alot of mouths to feed and if they arnt making money, and their roadmap looks terrible, why would Sony do it?

Bergoglio

Console wars are getting serious. They should also take away their women.
Bro, it's like soccer. You can't not get involved in these things. Try going to a Manchester City fan and saying Real Madrid is better. You simply can't. A passion is such when you're willing to put your blood into it. Wives, however, are generally not considered bargaining chips. Fuck Sony and his dominance. Every empire sooner or later falls.

Last edited:

Warablo

Team Ninja would be cool, Wo Long is pretty fun.

Their wiki says they are making Rise of Ronin for the PS5, that should be cool.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I miss the days when we talked about the games that we were playing instead of the companies conglomerates should buy.
Miss the days when we weren't stuck firmly in cross-gen hell 2.5 years into the cycle. There's nothing else interesting to talk about.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
It would be a waste of money as it wouldn't make a difference to their impact in Asia, which would be the main reason for buying a Japanese publisher. Capcom would be the best option as their games are probably more popular in the West than in Japan outside of Monster Hunter.
Plus all the top talent would probably just leave if MS bought them.

Gojiira

Hi All, just want to know if you think MS is going to buy a Japanese publisher next or not?

MS talked about Sony having 98% of the Japanese market. If MS did buy a Japanese publisher it should probably be either Capcom or maybe Square enix because of their mobile output.
Japanese laws would prevent it so no. Thankfully this means MS will never get its sticky fingers on MGS or Resident Evil…

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I can't see Xbox being able to buy another publisher after they barely squeeze through Activision
Why not? This merger is pretty normal. Microsoft was clearly expecting to go through some hoops for this acquisition. I think their willing to go through hoops for another purchase if need be. The roadblocks their experiencing now are more politically motivated if anything. Most concerns have been pretty weak to hold up the ABK deal.

I'd expect another acquisition should be relatively easier after this. CMA and FTC already have what they need from this case.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m not positive but I think it’s super hard for an outside company to buy any Japanese company. Like in India there are very restrictive laws against such things.

damiank

Is it Wednesday or something?
Today is the day
As pathetic as it would be, just to try to win some market share in a nation who couldn't care less about them, I think buying SEGA would spiritually be the most compatible company.

There are some historical links between MS and SEGA. MS supplied their shitty Windows CE operating system to Dreamcast. Peter Moore oversaw the Dreamcast in its limited time on Earth, before moving to Microsoft to oversee the best years of Xbox and X360. The original Xbox was for all intents and purposes a Dreamcast 2 - same push for online, a continuation of many SEGA franchises like Panzer Dragoon, Sega GT, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue, and even the same button layout on the controller. The big Xbox launch racing game, Project Gotham Racing, was a successor to Metropolis Street Racer from Bizarre Creations. Their relationship is proof that the Japanese and the American can Dream together.

If Microsoft were to buy SEGA, then the library they'd gain access to would be very valuable not just in terms of quality but also in cultural relevance. Sonic, Yakuza, the vast back catalog of old IP, plus everything previously mentioned. It is a veritable king's bounty of gaming history they'd be buying compared to dropping $67 billion on Call of Duty and Blizzard games no one cares about any more.

Also the Sonic Blue controller is hot as fuck and just strangely feels so right:

EinDXIRU0AIncDj
Keep ATLUS out of this

Yes. I think so. I believe it will be either Sega or Capcom. Though any of the existing publishers might fit Xbox for various reasons (I believe it will be one of big four), I do find that Sega and Capcom are the best in that regard.
  • Sega fits Xbox quite nicely as with Sega, MSFT can acquire a mascot (Sonic), can get additional PC support (strategy games for example), console games (new Yakuza JRGPs and Persona) and even mobile (Sega has some games there too). And not to mention that enormous back catalog. The main problem is Sammy though.
  • Capcom has a strong PC presence and relatively active support for their IPs. Their IPs are also strong like Resident Evil and Street Fighter, with SF being a defining fighting game IP. I believe they have the least ties with other industries.
  • Bamco is the biggest publisher with a lot of ties in the industry and some well known IPs like Tekken or Gundam. However the main problem is that they tend to release a lot of licensed anime titles and Microsoft does not like to deal with licensing.
  • Square Enix is a well known entity and while core IPs are big, there are impediments like FF being effectively moneyhatted till who knows when, KH being a partially owned IP and strange management issues. They do release a lot of small games that would feed Game Pass nicely, has a relatively strong mobile presence and have FF14 (MSFT would own FF14 and WoW then). Still I don't find them particularly attractive.
Still I think the Sega is the best fit there. But a lot of those publishers have ties with other industries (like anime and so on) so how to say what Microsoft is gonna do.

Though it is interesting to observe some kinda tension regarding this topic online :messenger_tears_of_joy: People are afraid. Some are in denial. Unnerving for some people.

Last edited:

Mess

You're crazy if you don't think Microsoft will pick up at least a couple of japanese dev houses. That's happening - just as sure as water is wet. Just a matter of when, if they haven't already.

If that was so easy they would have done it ages ago. Nah not happening.

And given the output of studios under MS rule it's a good thing, even for xbox gamers.

Sanepar

You're crazy if you don't think Microsoft will pick up at least a couple of japanese dev houses. That's happening - just as sure as water is wet. Just a matter of when, if they haven't already.
Buy a publishers doesn't affect only Sony. Nintendo will not be happy to lose capcom or sega games. It won't happen.

Top Bottom