• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is now the time for either Sony or Microsoft to buy Take-Two?

trippingmartian said:

:lol

That's based on outstanding bonds and issues, not standard debt braniac. These instruments are used to raise cash and pay out dividends to investors for the use of their money, as far out as 30 years. I wish some of you would please understand some basic economic principles.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SNE

Read the part that says: Total Debt.

If you also read your own link, you would see that Sony currently has the fifth highest rated A+ long term debt rating of ALL Standard and Poors ratings for ALL companies.

trippingmartian said:
Still, 61 billion. Come on! :lol

You really are crazy. I was just listing one component. The 61 billion is their outstanding liability. That includes accounts payable, short term / long term debt, employee pensions, and a million other things.

You are officially insane if you think they're 61 billion dollars in debt.

Kerry_cry.gif

Well there's no way they would sell at their current market cap, they would have to be offered a premium over that, so it would be closer to $2 billion for what still looks like a pretty fragile operation because of how shallow their portfolio really is.

Also, I think it's pretty easy to overstate the importance of how important a franchise will be going from one generation to the next, because that's usually what happens.

And of course the company is now looking for their 3rd CEO in a little over 2 years, with the SEC hanging over them about their accounting irregularities during that time. And the fact that they've brought back their old president earlier this year (somehow managed to hire him away from Acclaim...) doesn't instill confidence, since he was in the same role for that time period they had to resate earnings.

I mean even before you get into the question of whether GTA is worth that much, you have to decide whether it's worth it to step into a potential mine field of accounting problems.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"That's based on outstanding bonds and issues, not standard debt braniac. These instruments are used to raise cash and pay out dividends to investors for the use of their money, as far out as 30 years. I wish some of you would please understand some basic economic principles."

I get what you are saying but a bond IS STILL Debt !!!!! There is no way around that, you can't just sweep it under the carpet and pretend it's not there.

If sony owe XX billion $ in bond repayments , albeit over 30 years, that is still real debt.
A bond is effectively a documented issuance of DEBT with payment terms attached.

Of course, as you mentioned, the advantage is that you spread the debt over 30+ years, but in the end you still have to pay it off.

"If you also read your own link, you would see that Sony currently has the fifth highest rated A+ long term debt rating of ALL Standard and Poors ratings for ALL companies."

And that is based on perceived ability to repay that debt, NOT on how much debt they have alone. A+ is basicallly saying "Sony are good to pay back on any long term debt agreements you may have". Also note, i think that might have been reassessed to A or A- recently - hardly a problem, i think you'd agree.

Top Bottom