• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Ocarina Of Time the best game ever?

Broshnat

Banned
I think so. It's one of these games that just feels so perfect. It's so good because you often forget you're actually playing a game a feel like you're actually part of it.
I've never felt that with either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it was about Ocarina. Guess it was the story as well. It didn't feel like a side-quest or sub-story. It was Zelda through and through. Good vs Evil. An epic battle.

I don't think it will ever be matched.

demi

No.

It never will be.

I have mathematical proof that Ocarina of Time is indeed NOT the best game ever.

And scientific.

And

And

And

And

No.

Hooker

Nope, not even the best Zelda. (aLttP and WW rank higher _IMO_)

Furthermore, we still have to deal with games like Super Metroid, Half-Life 1 (and possibly 2, but it's still too early to tell) and others. Yes, it's a good game, great even. But not the best

Broshnat

Banned
Hooker said:
Nope, not even the best Zelda. (aLttP and WW rank higher _IMO_)

Furthermore, we still have to deal with games like Super Metroid, Half-Life 1 (and possibly 2, but it's still too early to tell) and others. Yes, it's a good game, great even. But not the best

How is Wind Waker better?

Grubdog

Banned
Hard to say.. out of Metroid Prime, SM64 (soon to be replaced with SM64DS), Goldeneye, OoT, MM, WW and LTTP... one of them is the best game ever, I just cant choose. I'm probably forgetting some too. I guess i'd have to say no then, since if it was the "best game ever" it would stick out above everything else, which is doesn't. The best game ever is yet to be released...

AniHawk

There's no such thing as a "best of." Hardly anyone agrees unanimously.

In my opinion? Ocarina of Time is my favorite game. Objectively, I'd say it's been surpassed in quality since its release by other games, but at the time, it was untouchable.

Broshnat

Banned
AniHawk said:
There's no such thing as a "best of." Hardly anyone agrees unanimously.

In my opinion? Ocarina of Time is my favorite game. Objectively, I'd say it's been surpassed in quality since its release by other games, but at the time, it was untouchable.

OK, let's re-phrase.... is Ocarina of Time your favourite game ever?

That better?

Solid

I just put on the WW bonusdisc (OoT Master Quest)... and really, to see Link ride on Hyrule field and to hear that awesome music really puts me back to 1998/9. Such great memories.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

TeTr1C

I know what you mean about the feeling of this game. I think it's one of the best games I've ever played. Even free-roaming was loads of fun, and nobody can forget the attack of the chickens. :D

Midas said:
No, even A Link to the Past is better.

Right and right IMO. The following is just my opinion too, but explains why I don't think it's the best game ever or even my favourite game...
The only improvements over A Link to the Past in Ocarina of Time are the new 3d graphics (not necessarily the style), and the fighting engine. It lacks the amount of dungeons, compelling items or creatures and bad guys of the beastiery that Link to the Past had. It doesn't play with time in anything like the same way that LttP plays with dimensions. It lacks a whole lot of charm for me in general. Possibly one of the most over-rated games ever IMO. It's great, but it's not the leaps and bounds above Wind Waker that everyone makes it out to be. In fact Wind Waker does some things better. And I certainly don't think it's better than the SNES or gameboy games.

OoT and MM are both neck and neck when it comes to being the best game ever. Nothing else even comes close. I still feel excited even just thinking about them, and they came out years ago.

How anyone could like WW more than OoT boggles my mind. WW was such a disapointment, it didn't even feel like a Zelda game.

Midas

radioheadrule83 said:
Right and right IMO. The only improvements over A Link to the Past in Ocarina of Time are the new 3d graphics (not necessarily the style), and the fighting engine. It lacks the amount of dungeons, compelling items or creatures and bad guys of the beastiery that Link to the Past had. It doesn't play with time in anything like the same way that LttP plays with dimensions. It lacks a whole lot of charm for me in general. Possibly one of the most over-rated games ever IMO. It's great, but it's not the leaps and bounds above Wind Waker that everyone makes it out to be. In fact Wind Waker does some things better. And I certainly don't think it's better than the SNES or gameboy games.

It looks like we have the same opinion. But you wasted some time to write it all down. :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Deepthroat said:
I just put on the WW bonusdisc (OoT Master Quest)... and really, to see Link ride on Hyrule field and to hear that awesome music really puts me back to 1998/9. Such great memories.

I did the same thing a while back, and it hurt my eyes after playing the wonderful, colorful smoothness that is Wind Waker. I had more fun with Wind Waker as well. Better, more responsive controls. Much better atmosphere (and tons more charm), more interesting locations (I'm a sucker for tropical settings), fun gadgets, and I loved sailing and exploring. Oh, and better story too.

Ocarina of Time, you lose. :p
Link's Awakening beats both though.

Having recently replayed Ocarina of Time again, I simply cannot understand how anyone could think Wind Waker is better.

Ocarina of Time best game ever? I don't know, but it's definitely one of the very best games I have played, and it has aged incredibly well.

On another note, I also don't get how many people consider the N64 to a be a "failure", when some of the best games ever made being exclusive to the platform during that generation.

Naked Snake said:
Having recently replayed Ocarina of Time again, I simply cannot understand how anyone could think Wind Waker is better.

Ocarina of Time best game ever? I don't know, but it's definitely one of the very best games I have played, and it has aged incredibly well.

On another note, I also don't get how many people consider the N64 to a be a "failure", when some of the best games ever made being exclusive to the platform during that generation.

Umm.. it has aged well but not graphically. I did enjoy it a lot on my second playthrough but because the 3d is SO primitive... you sit there and think.. needs more polygon. Especially when you're playing it on the gamecube. It does reinforce that opinion about its visuals.

WW is a funny. I really enjoyed it but its flaws were apparent. The BIGGEST problem I had... is not:

CELSHADING
SAILING
TREASURE HUNTING

I had the BIGGEST problem with how walkover easy it was.

I prefer MM for the story telling + humour + darkness.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Broshnat, why did you title this thread with a question? It's pretty clear that you weren't looking for different opinions so much as you simply wanted everyone to agree with you...

I sure as hell don't consider it the best game ever made, not even close. Maybe I experienced it too late, but I actually became bored and quit playing at least two times (once in the AWFUL Jabu Jabu dungeon and once in the forest temple). A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask are both better Zelda games IMO.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
No, it is not.
Naked Snake said:
On another note, I also don't get how many people consider the N64 to a be a "failure"
Q1: Did the N64 have the same market penetration as the NES or even SNES did?
Q2: Did the N64 have more market penetration than its competitors?

Answer to both is no. Therefore, failure.

Being a pretty big Zelda fan around the time of its release(1998), I can recall that I found The Ocarina of Time to be quite boring. I probably got half way through the game before I quit, and I never played it again. As a note of notoriety, I've found this to be the case with many of Nintendo's pre-existing franchises on the N64 as well as the Gamecube.

In my eyes, The Ocarina of Time is definitely not the 'best game ever'.

Blabala

For me it's the best game I've ever played. I have a collection of more than 400 games and passed many more, also I've gone through the most of the best games for years on any platform.

No game can be said to be "the best game ever" because in gameplay influcences not only quality, argument, music aspects it also influences very much player feelings, maybe at the time I played Ocarina my feelings were such that I felt it as my best game ever.

Anyway, technically was superb, and still today it's argument, playability, lasting appeal and music are unquestionable.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Naked Snake said:
I played A Link to the Past on GBA for the first time, and got bored from it in the second dungeon or so... TAKE THAT!

Wow with that kind of attention span I doubt you will finish reading my post!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I think we ALL know what the best game, Zelda or otherwise, is...

cdi-zelda.jpg

Broshnat

Banned
Seems to be an interesting mix of opinions here.

I agree that a link to the past is an awesome game. Games are all about fun. But surely that jump into 3D is enough to make Ocarina the best ever.

As someone once said about Mario 64- it seems that all the previous games were postcards from this living, breathing world you can now go and explore in it's entirety.

I love Zelda, and as much as I really do hate to say it- I found Wind Waker fairly boring compared to OOT, and Majora's mask was just too fiddly and gimmicky.

The dungeons are perfect. You complete a puzzle, get to the end and there's just a huge smile from ear to ear as you realise just how ingenious it was. The forest temple and water temple are amazing. The bosses perfect. The epic feel is unmatched. I think the only game that has ever come close was Metal Gear Solid for that totally immersive feel. The sequels are nowhere close IMO.

Goldeneye is the best multiplayer game ever and most addictive game ever. Zelda: Ocarina Of Time is the best full stop. The graphics were 2 years ahead of their time. The camera faultless. The controls perfect.

It's complete genius from start to finish. Miyamoto's last great masterpiece.

Let's all just hope that the new one lives up to it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But surely that jump into 3D is enough to make Ocarina the best ever.

Oh, come on. The 3D in OoT is UGLY. It's low-res, blocky, and filled with blurry textures. It looks great for the hardware, but I'll take clean 2D visuals over that stuff anyday...

It really isn't even ABOUT visuals, though.

Based on your other comments, you seem to be quite an N64 fan. Perhaps that's why I don't agree as Nintendo 64 is the reason I'm not a fan of Nintendo.

Goldeneye, for example, is a game I'm not fond of at all. In fact, I think it's actually a poor game in many ways.

Top Bottom