• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony Next In Nintendo's Cross Hairs?

Wooxsvan

rick james cocaine GIF

MagusMajul

Did they arguably violate any patents Nintendo holds? Because if Nintendo was going to sue them just for having a cute platformer, Sackboy would have been the one.
maybe but sackboy wasn't so critically acclaimed, I saw in an article that Nintendo's legal team picks and chooses it's lawsuits. I love Nintendo and Sony games I wish developers didn't live under this threat

Zannegan

maybe but sackboy wasn't so critically acclaimed, I saw in an article that Nintendo's legal team picks and chooses it's lawsuits. I love Nintendo and Sony games I wish developers didn't live under this threat
True, but they still have to have a leg to stand on, legally speaking. And it's not like Sony would be intimidated by Nintendo anyway.

Plus, picking and choosing cases probably has as much to do with making sure they winnable as making an example.

Meh. This thread should have been about whether Nintendo and Sony will be in more direct competition after Microsoft’s exit and the more powerful Switch 2. I believe they will be and I’m interested to see how it all shakes out.

Last edited:
Interesting comparison. So Astro Bot is both a homage to Sony IP's as well as to the worlds and mechanics from Nintendo's classic 3D games.

Last edited:

blacktout

Did they arguably violate any patents Nintendo holds? Because if Nintendo was going to sue them just for having a cute platformer, Sackboy would have been the one.

This. You can't (successfully) sue just for taking inspiration from existing games. If you could, the entire industry would have been consumed by lawsuits decades ago. There needs to be provable copyright or patent infringement.

Note that Nintendo is not even suing Palworld for its borderline plagiarized faux-pokemon designs, presumably because it doesn't think that case is winnable, but for patent infringement, which is much more clear cut, since the original patent application lays out, in some detail, exactly what it's supposed to protect.

So, no, there's a zero percent chance Nintendo is going to sue Sony over Astrobot.

StueyDuck

Palworld is multiplatform now... no need to defend it anymore. It's a pretty crap game, baby's first unity project type of crap.

Nintendo will either win or lose and life will go on. The game had it's 2 weeks of popularity, that's more than 90% of indie games out there.

Dafegamer

That's like saying Id tech should sue Bungie for Halo. Palworld situation is different as you could mistake the designs for actual Pokemon

Top Bottom