• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is talking about the HDLoader/HDAdvance against the TOS?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I just ordered the HDAdvance and I have a question about the actual procedure of "converting" games based on what I just read on one of the HDAdvance websites....

Brofist

Actually I just ordered one also, should have gotten it today, but in the 10 minutes I left my apt to grab lunch they tried to deliver it..now I have to wait until Monday :(

IJoel

I don't why it'd be wrong to talk about it.

I put my copy of GTA: SA into my HD with the HD Loader, and while the initial loading still sucks, the in-game loading (getting into a place, etc.) is pretty much non-existant. The added bonus is that my dvd drive no longer sounds like it's grinding meat while playing the game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Do you have to use a slide key to open the drive door to put in the game disk to install it or can you open the drive door when the Loader/Advance prompts you just by hitting the button on the console?

IJoel

DarienA said:
Do you have to use a slide key to open the drive door to put in the game disk to install it or can you open the drive door when the Loader/Advance prompts you just by hitting the button on the console?

Just press the eject button and exchange the HD Loader disc with the game disc.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Yeah I think I need to make some room on my HD for GTA:SA. I've had the game lock up on me once already and I lost about 3 hours of playtime. That totally sucked!! I've played with the loader and it seems a little smoother. And quieter. :D

dolph

Which would you guys recommend, HD Loader or HDAdvance?
And where is a good place to buy one of these?

Brofist

dolph said:
Which would you guys recommend, HD Loader or HDAdvance?
And where is a good place to buy one of these?

Not much difference. HDAdvance come on 2 discs, 1 to load CDs and one for DVDs. Also the HDAdvance ver 2.0 supports up to a 200 GB HD, while the old version and HDLoader support up to 120 GB.

cabel

IJoel said:
I put my copy of GTA: SA into my HD with the HD Loader, and while the initial loading still sucks...

Interesting note about this.

If you look at the front of your Playstation 2, you'll see that the yellow hard-drive access light is not flashing during the bulk of the very long initial GTA load.

That means thats the loading is basically on a fixed timer, and that progress bar moves at the exact same rate regardless of it all the data is already loaded or not. It doesn't matter how fast your DVD drive (or HD) is, you'll always wait X number of seconds there.

I honestly can't think of why they'd do this. Wouldn't you want to code it so that if the data comes in, somehow, quicker, you close up and proceed right away?

Weird.

cabel said:
Interesting note about this.

If you look at the front of your Playstation 2, you'll see that the yellow hard-drive access light is not flashing during the bulk of the very long initial GTA load.

That means thats the loading is basically on a fixed timer, and that progress bar moves at the exact same rate regardless of it all the data is already loaded or not. It doesn't matter how fast your DVD drive (or HD) is, you'll always wait X number of seconds there.

I honestly can't think of why they'd do this. Wouldn't you want to code it so that if the data comes in, somehow, quicker, you close up and proceed right away?

Weird.
they probably want to show off all that damn cool artwork... i wish there were huge versions of those to use as wallapapers

Forsete

cabel : I thought about that too.. Odd..

The loadtimes are the same, 29-30 seconds at the beginning. Much faster in the game though (when entering, leaving buildings).

Top Bottom